The Possibly Elusive Prediction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mildconcussion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My older brother just scored a 41S on his MCAT, which is ridiculously high. But he only has a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.66 sGPA. With these numbers, what do you think his chances are for an ivy? He prefers Harvard. He has an plenty of EC that covers everything. He even has EC that stands out, like being a staff writer for a newspaper and being CEO of an online company. All opinions are appreciated!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My older brother just scored a 41S on his MCAT, which is ridiculously high. But he only has a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.66 sGPA. With these numbers, what do you think his chances are for an ivy? He prefers Harvard. He has an plenty of EC that covers everything. He even has EC that stands out, like being a staff writer for a newspaper and being CEO of an online company. All opinions are appreciated!!!!

He has a shot....probably not great...the GPA is too low.

Apply and just make sure to list a few non-ivy schools and instate.

Among the ten most selective schools (ranked by LizzyM score), only one has a bottom tenth percentile for cumulative GPA of 3.5, and Harvard isn't it, but among the ten schools below that are seven med schools with bottom tenth percentile of 3.5 and one with 3.4. So maybe he'd want to wait a year to apply to bring his numbers up more to have a better shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Among the ten most selective schools (ranked by LizzyM score), only one has a bottom tenth percentile for cumulative GPA of 3.5, and Harvard isn't it, but among the ten schools below that are seven med schools with bottom tenth percentile of 3.5 and one with 3.4. So maybe he'd want to wait a year to apply to bring his numbers up more to have a better shot.

He got the idea that his numbers were competitive from this site.

http://www.studentdoc.com/medfind.html

I checked it out and it seems like it puts a lot of weight on the MCAT. I'm not quite sure if that's the case.

MSAR doesn't lie and isnt biased.

It reports exactly what the schools accept.

If the MSAR says Harvard's bottom 10-percentile is greater than a cGPA of 3.5 then he doesn't stand a very good chance.

I think it's pretty variable. HMS is pretty selective who they interview for their two programs. There are plenty of people with ~4.0/40+ who aren't receiving interviews. Research is pretty important especially with HST. Then again, some of the people they do interview are pretty random as well. Anyways, fwiw, my numbers were a little better than that when applying and I didn't get a NP interview (although HST was a different story)

I think it's pretty variable. HMS is pretty selective who they interview for their two programs. There are plenty of people with ~4.0/40+ who aren't receiving interviews. Research is pretty important especially with HST. Then again, some of the people they do interview are pretty random as well. Anyways, fwiw, my numbers were a little better than that when applying and I didn't get a NP interview (although HST was a different story)

Pardon my denseness, but what do these abbreviations stand for: HST and NP?

Also, did you get any interviews elsewhere?

Your denseness means you should do some research, or your brother should do some.

Reactions: 1 user
Your denseness means you should do some research, or your brother should do some.

geez, the person was just trying to get a response. No need to get testy and nasty. If you don't like the question, then ignore it. It's a stressful time for everyone, so a little help goes a long way.

I believe HST stands for Harvard Health Science and Technology and NP stands for New Pathway. I could be wrong so don't quote me yet.

Good luck to you and your brother. Harvard is a fickle place. No crystal ball is available to tell you what is going on in their twisted and backwards admissions policies.

I was initially admitted to Harvard for undergrad. but chose not to go because I didn't like some of their policies.

Last edited:
geez, the person was just trying to get a response. No need to get testy and nasty. If you don't like the question, then ignore it. It's a stressful time for everyone, so a little help goes a long way.

I believe HST stands for Harvard Health Science and Technology and NP stands for Nurse Practitioner. I could be wrong so don't quote me yet.

Good luck to you and your brother. Harvard is a fickle place. No crystal ball is available to tell you what is going on in their twisted and backwards admissions policies.

I was initially admitted to Harvard for undergrad. but chose not to go because I didn't like some of their policies.

lol...

NP = New Pathway, or what most people think of as Harvard Medical School

Pardon my denseness, but what do these abbreviations stand for: HST and NP?

Also, did you get any interviews elsewhere?

I interviewed at most of the top 25 schools, yeah. With those numbers if the ECs are there I would think he'd probably get at least some attention with top tier schools, but it's really hard to tell.

lol...

NP = New Pathway, or what most people think of as Harvard Medical School

Yep, that's the result I got when I entered "NP" in the google bar. So basically, I could totally get the wrong thing by doing research. research is not a bad thing, but confirmation is even better!!!

I edited the previous post to match what you said

I believe HST stands for Harvard Health Science and Technology and NP stands for Nurse Practitioner. I could be wrong so don't quote me yet.

hahaha... ahahhahahah i like you. :laugh::thumbup:

and at first i thought u were joking...

i guess ur just out of his brother's league :p

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHAH sorry. its just os funny

Harvard Medical School Nurse Practioner. HAHAHAHAHHA

Yep, that's the result I got when I entered "NP" in the google bar. So basically, I could totally get the wrong thing by doing research. research is not a bad thing, but confirmation is even better!!!
Not sure one google search counts as research....

HAHAH sorry. its just os funny

Harvard Medical School Nurse Practioner. HAHAHAHAHHA

I said I might be wrong!!! And yes, you proved that. But what you also proved was that research can mislead you with all the information going around.

So next time, play nice. Answer the question or don't answer it at all.

Not sure one google search counts as research....

Multiple searches on different engines. All yields the same thing. Don't blame them though. Nursing is probably more popular than MD at this point in time, so web rankings for nursing would be higher up.

I just answer the question if I think it's appropriate for me to (or if the person sounds desperate). I'm just a pay it forward type of guy. Why did you think I turned down Harvard for a state university?

Multiple searches on different engines. All yields the same thing. Don't blame them though. Nursing is probably more popular than MD at this point in time, so web rankings for nursing would be higher up.

I just answer the question if I think it's appropriate for me to (or if the person sounds desperate). I'm just a pay it forward type of guy. Why did you think I turned down Harvard for a state university?

Thanks so much wilsonlaguna and Drizzt. You were right wilsonlaguna, I am kinda desperate. Won't bore you with details, but I am currently working full-time to support a family while pursing my only dream and help my brother pursue his dreams.

By the way, I'm a she. My user name has "concussion" in it because I used to play ice hockey!!!!!

I think it's pretty easy to find information on the programs. You know, maybe if you used google to search for... i dunno... Harvard Medical School? Then actually went to their website and looked at this nice FAQ they made for admissions?

http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=admissions

Then again, maybe I'm giving premeds too much credit.

Clearly they didn't teach you how to utilize a search engine.

Maybe if you'd done "harvard NP" it would have been more productive (the second link displaying for me takes me to a Harvard Med FAQ...). Its not rocket science...

Drizzt links to the very document I was referring.

Clearly they didn't teach you how to utilize a search engine.

Maybe if you'd done "harvard NP" it would have been more productive (the second link displaying for me takes me to a Harvard Med FAQ...)

Well, if I can't utilize a search engine, then maybe some other poor schmuck can't either. It's possible that not everyone shares the same level of web literacy. So, help each other out. Come on. I thought that's what this forum was for.

I think it's pretty easy to find information on the programs. You know, maybe if you used google to search for... i dunno... Harvard Medical School? Then actually went to their website and looked at this nice FAQ they made for admissions?

http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=admissions

Then again, maybe I'm giving premeds too much credit.

Nope, you're only giving older pre-med too much credit. I grew up way before everyone started to become tech saavy. You kids probably didn't need to take classes about MS word and Excel and probably just learned it from friends. I actually had to take formal classes or else I got lost. Shows you how old this dog is.

Thanks so much wilsonlaguna and Drizzt. You were right wilsonlaguna, I am kinda desperate. Won't bore you with details, but I am currently working full-time to support a family while pursing my only dream and help my brother pursue his dreams.

By the way, I'm a she. My user name has "concussion" in it because I used to play ice hockey!!!!!

You're very welcome. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance. Obviously, I'm no good at finding meanings to abbreviations:D, but I can give mean advice on application procedures and MCAT studying tips (I got a 38S).

By the way, my fiance plays ice hockey. She's been playing all her life!!!!!