The Princeton Review vs AAMC Question Packs vs Other??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillyC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently studying for the MCAT and of course I want to maximize my score as much as possible.
I currently have the Princeton Review's MCAT Workout book, but I'm curious about if anyone has strong recommendations for me to buy the AAMC Question pack (or if there is any other question pack out there that is far superior). Perhaps people swear by the practice questions some company has only for certain sections (ie AAMC for CARS, TPR for science).
I've heard different opinions from different places (TPR questions are good but CARS practice questions are terrible, Uworld is the best, etc).
Any and all advice appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any experience with the TRP Workbook or UWorld, but I got a 516 (128/128/132/128) using only the review books and the AAMC Question Packs (highly underrated in my opinion), Section Bank, and AAMC FL 1-4.

The order of material helpfulness goes AAMC FL > AAMC Section Bank > AAMC Qpacks (Bio, CARS, Chem. Physics is optional but helpful) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Third party material

Reactions: 1 user
Use third party material first. When it's 4-6 weeks until test day, do all of the AAMC material because that will be most representative.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
I agree use third party materials first, but you absolutely need to do as much as the AAMC material as possible preferably all.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently studying for the MCAT and of course I want to maximize my score as much as possible.
I currently have the Princeton Review's MCAT Workout book, but I'm curious about if anyone has strong recommendations for me to buy the AAMC Question pack (or if there is any other question pack out there that is far superior). Perhaps people swear by the practice questions some company has only for certain sections (ie AAMC for CARS, TPR for science).
I've heard different opinions from different places (TPR questions are good but CARS practice questions are terrible, Uworld is the best, etc).
Any and all advice appreciated!!
I just did a couple of chapters from the MCAT workout book (3rd edition), specifically took questions from the microbiology and reproductive physiology chapters. Let me say this, some of the questions were pretty challenging (more challenging compared to Kaplan end of chapter questions). I averaged about 80 percent correct. FYI: 2 weeks ago I seriously started studying for the MCAT. It scares me that I am already averaging 80% correct, but the biological section could be my strongest area.

I would like to stay connected with you and see how you are liking the MCAT workout book. Not exactly sure if it's worth keeping up with the stand-alone and passages, knowing how difficult and detailed they are...

Someone once told me that if I am able to answer the questions 70-80% correctly from the MCAT workout book and from EK's, then the official AAMC exams should be less challenging.