The PsyD interview, clinical experience or research heavy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillydave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that I should be prepared to discuss both during my PsyD interviews, however, I am wondering (coming from a clinical MS program with little emphasis on research) if I should be more prepared to discuss clinical cases, practice issues, etc., rather than research, research, research.

Thanks! Any other related advice would be greatly appreciated too!

Dave

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that I should be prepared to discuss both during my PsyD interviews, however, I am wondering (coming from a clinical MS program with little emphasis on research) if I should be more prepared to discuss clinical cases, practice issues, etc., rather than research, research, research.

Thanks! Any other related advice would be greatly appreciated too!

Dave

Having done a few Psy.D. interviews last year, I would say be prepared to expound on any area you address in your personal statement (clinical and research interests, how you got interested in the field, grad school goals, career goals, populations and conditions of interest, and fit with the school you're interviewing at). Also, at least one or two schools gave scenarios or questions relating to prior clinical experiences (e.g., describe a time where you felt challenged in a clinical situation, or, describe a time where you worked in a racial, socioeconomic, or cultural diverse setting, etc etc). These questions were never technically nuanced but rather required drawing on past experiences and/or using common sense and sensitivity to show that you are a caring, self-aware, articulate candidate. Also don't be surprised if they ask you about your research interests, possible lines of research for dissertation work, and faculty members that you might be interested in working with in either a clinical or lab setting (depending on the school and specific prof). If the majority of your experience is from clinical work, definitely play that up and be specific about your clinical areas of interest-- that will undoubtedly set you apart from applicants who may have more academic or research experience.

Good luck!

That's great stuff!! It really seems like I will need to go the route you suggest and focus on my clinical experiences and present myself as a caring, competent therapist as apposed to an experienced researcher. I'm all prepped up for the "Tell me about a time..." questions, however, I know it's tougher in the moment to say everything you want to say, so I will probably do some practicing... but not too much, don't want to sound like a robot. Anyway, thanks so much for your help!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great stuff!! It really seems like I will need to go the route you suggest and focus on my clinical experiences and present myself as a caring, competent therapist as apposed to an experienced researcher. I'm all prepped up for the "Tell me about a time..." questions, however, I know it's tougher in the moment to say everything you want to say, so I will probably do some practicing... but not too much, don't want to sound like a robot. Anyway, thanks so much for your help!! :)

One last thing is that you will definitely just have to feel out the interview as it unfolds, especially regarding emphasis on research. Some schools may be skeptical that if your past experiences have little emphasis on research, that you'll "fit" in a doctoral setting. This is not necessarily the case, of course, and I really don't have any details about your situation. All I'm saying is don't be worried about coming off as too 'researchy' in any interview setting; even PsyDs have to be able to be able to speak about empirical research ;).

Good luck with your interviews. I only had one PsyD interview (fully funded, yay, but wait listed, boo). It was years ago but I think I remember it being balanced. They definitely respected my previous research experience. I had far more of that than clinical experience.

With EB stuff being all the rage, I'd imagine that if you could link your clinical experience to the research via specific studies, they'd have an understanding of your current abilities and future willingness to accept research as a given within the field. eg: Used Coping Cat commercial curriculum with some childrens and that's a modified CBT and study XXXYYY showed it's success for this particular disorder and study ZZZOOO showed CBT's success with these other underlying issues so overall, it was a perfect it. Maybe. Others may have better advisement.

Good luck!