1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

The PUBLIC'S opinion of DDS vs DMD

Discussion in 'Dental' started by predentchick, Mar 21, 2004.

1. predentchick

predentchick Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

True story: I have worked as an assistant for quite a long time now. The other day a woman said that she chose my Dr. over another one was because he has a DMD and the other had a DDS. Out of curiosity I asked her why she thought one was better. Her reply: I just want to go to a dentist that can write me a RX!!! I was just dying! The reason I was dying is because this was the THIRD time I have heard this. Wow! I can't believe this isn't made more clear out there in the public. Oh well. I am just glad I will have a DMD;) .

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    How funny! Although, I believe in general public, more people are aware what a DDS is than a DMD. I'm proud to be a DMD!

Remember, DMD can and are more capable of doing more than a DDS. DDS aren't even real dentists!

:laugh:

4. the big wand

the big wand Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Strictly speaking, DMD refers to a dental program incorporated with medical curriculum. Some schools adopt DMD even though there is no or just a little incorporation. Others continue with DDS, even though their dental programs are indeed extensively combined with the medical program.

So, basically, DDS and DMD are different, but since some schools misuse the terminology, they're the same thing.

They're just terms. It's a personal preference. I like DDS more, because it has the word "Surgery". :p

If you go to dental schools in UK, there is no such a thing as DMD or DDS for undergrad dentists. They call it something else. Again, it's a personal preference.

I think DMD appears because some people think that by combining dental and medical programs together, dental students will spend less time in dental techniques and more time in medical theory, leading to inferior competency. In order to track those students, DMD is created to "tag" that category.

5. Dr.SpongeBobDDS

Dr.SpongeBobDDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ummm.... nice of you to share your daydreams with us, BW. But that is not even close. ;)

6. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Nice story, but completely wrong. The DDS/DMD thing has been beaten to death; just do a search.

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I have a 3.8 and 25 on my DAT. Do I have a chance, or should I apply in two years?

8. aphistis

I'm not sure you're a qualified applicant, Gavin. After all, you're trying for the degree that lets you write for drugs. You should go for a DDS like me, so we can just pull teeth with needlenose pliers all day.

9. DDStoBe2008

DDStoBe2008 Junior Member

:laugh:

10. predentchick

7+ Year Member

Yes, it has. But I do not recall any of them having to do with the public and statements they have made. I am sure they are out there, but I just wanted to share a situation I was in. This "do a search" stuff is just totally unnecessary! It's not the end of the world if someone posts something twice. Geesh!

11. Dr.SpongeBobDDS

7+ Year Member

Nobody was criticising (sp?) your post, predentchick. It's an interesting topic. ;) What Bill and I were responding to was the giant whopper The Big Wand was feeding us.

12. aphistis

Correct as usual, Dr. Bob. :D

13. predentchick

7+ Year Member

Oh. I see. Sorry. I was really confused about this one!!! :confused:

14. the big wand

7+ Year Member

DMD vs DDS.

If my reasoning is wrong, what else will that be? My common sense tells me it's simply a tracking/labeling device to differentiate these two groups. Originally all dental schools give DDS, but some schools feel that they need to emphasize medical aspect of dentistry and thus change their programs and award the DMD degree. Over time some schools decide to adopt both approaches (one approach in certain areas and the other in the remaining), and this is where the confusion kicks in.

If this isn't simple enough, then could anyone write a big essay to explain these terms? Enlighten me.

15. aphistis

Your reasoning *is* wrong. Sorry, but there's no way around it. Read the pre-dent board FAQ.

16. Dr.SpongeBobDDS

7+ Year Member

17. Dr.SpongeBobDDS

7+ Year Member

So to sum up: it has nothing to do with curriculum or training and everything to do with the fact that Harvard was too snooty to offer a degree in English.

:D

18. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    For those of you going to the National ASDA meeting in New Orleans in August, this sounds like ASDA resolution material to me. If anyone is gung-ho enough to write a resolution, think about it when they mail you the materials on how to do it, or look up on the website how to write one b/c any member of ASDA can submit a resolution to be debated at the House of Delegates at the national meeting.

It doesn't mean it'll change anything, it would just be a very interesting discussion to see what dental students all across the country would think of proposing to eliminate one of the degrees or merge the current two. Ultimately, ASDA would be forced to come to a position on this issue, and I don't think there is a current one.

I think it's a pretty pertinent issue to bring up since Case just switched degrees and Arizona decided to go DMD rather than DDS.

Here are some examples of resolutions debated and voted upon in the 2003 House of Delegates.

http://www.asdanet.org/about/house/resolutionslist.asp

So, do we have any takers? More than one student can sponsor a resolution, and they can be from different dental schools too.

19. 3rdMolarRoller

3rdMolarRoller User Account Deleted
    7+ Year Member

Hmmm....when i get some free time I might tackle this

I do not care if I am DDS or DMD. As long as you call me dentist I will be fine.

As a little side note:

Friday I was in an office assisting with a 6 maxillary implant procedure and when we were done this lady said " Oh my son is a real doctor" and the dentist replied "yeah I forgot we were the fake ones" I laughed my a$$ off!

DDS or DMD we will still be fake doctors so who cares about the title :laugh:

20. the big wand

7+ Year Member

Ahh...I see.....thanks, man.

21. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member

Dentist
    As I like to put it about the "real" meaning behind the letters of the degrees:

DMD = Didn't Make Doctor

DDS = Didn't Do Sh%$

:wow: :D :p :)

22. aphistis

He'll be here all week, folks. ;)

23. grettlin2

grettlin2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    This question has been asked a thousand times during my interviews. All the deans said DMD and DDS are equal degrees, and they don't have any difference. DDS can do all DMD can, and DMD can't do anything that DDS can't.

24. predentchick

7+ Year Member

Yes, we all know that. The purpose of this thread was to see who had experiences with THE PUBLIC not knowing the difference. WE KNOW ALREADY!:sleep:

25. That's great, in four years

Dr. Woodsy, Didn't Do ****. hahaha I like that.

26. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member

Dentist
    I once had a 5 year old boy in the chair who asked me what the DMD behind my name meant, and my reply was Doctor of Men's Dentistry:D He then asked if that meant if I couldn't see his mom or his sister:laugh: The things kids say from time to time, absolutely priceless:clap:

27. Dentalist

Dentalist carpe diem
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

28. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Whatever happened to the attempted FAQ? Gavin??