1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

The real deal on medical school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by PharmGirl214, Mar 9, 2007.

1. PharmGirl214

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello there, I've been thinking about going to medical school instead of pharm school. I have yet to apply to either, but I have time to think.

I find randomly scattered information and of course what I read in books, but what is medical school REALLY like? I'd love to hear from real students. What does your daily schedual like and how often do you study? Is your social life obselete? Lol. (Sorry if the question has been asked before!)

If I apply for medical school, I'm hoping to go to OHSU. If anyone goes there info and advice from you would be awesome. Thanks everyone! :)

2. The Buff

The Buff The Big Cat
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Since you have time to think, you also have time to scroll down in the allo forum and find many, many, many threads on your questions. Don't mean to be rude, but these questions have been asked so much. I've only been reading this board for a year or so, and I have probably seen them all 10 times.

3. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In the General Residency forum there should be a thread titled something like "Would you do it all over again?".

I suggest you read that first.

4. OP
    OP
    PharmGirl214

2+ Year Member

Oh okay, thank you :)

5. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    yeah, why not scare the crap out of the kid.

6. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think its better to go in with full knowledge of the dark side. If you see this part of medicine and still decide to pursue it you'll be less likely to regret the decision yourself. I spent two years working with some amazing gastroenterologists before medschool and I'm so thankful for all the inevitable awful days when halfway thru they would say to me "you really want to do this??", it forced me to think (and obviously I decided yes) making me much less naive about my future and much more confident that this is what I want than I would have been without that experience.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    IMO, studying for the MCAT is a pretty comparable experience for the first two years of med school.

8. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you from Oregon?

9. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah I agree. I'd say each block's exam covers about the same quantity of material and I study like I did for the MCAT because of that. Though I do think you adjust and become a bit more efficient and a bit less likely to be burnt out after it. I remember the day after the MCAT I couldn't even handle the complexites of tv plots, I was sooo fried. Now I get up the next day and start prepping my gameplan for the next block, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, I don't go there because they rejected me, which is the gist of my message here. OHSU is really, really subjective, so you can't bank on going there even if you're an Oregonian with a decent application. If you want to go to med school, be prepared for the possibility of leaving Oregon.

11. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Me too. twice.

12. Doctor Bagel

Attending Physician
    Sucks. There was another guy who got rejected for the second time last year after doing exactly what the OHSU admissions office told him to do to improve his application. Needless to say, he wasn't too thrilled with their admissions office.

13. OP
    OP
    PharmGirl214

2+ Year Member

I am from Oregon and I love it here.. I'd be really sad to leave. I'm also thinking about UW too.

14. OP
    OP
    PharmGirl214

2+ Year Member

Lol, I went through the forum and it was pretty depressing. It doesn't discourage me though. I've read a few books about med school and I remember the first time I read them, it really did scare the crap out of me! I don't know.. all this stuff just makes me want to do it even more. Maybe I'm just a weirdo..

15. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :laugh: We are all weirdos in some way or another; you may just be the kind of weirdo that loves medicine and a career as a physician. :thumbup:

16. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you think you love oregon now, wait until you move to the midwest for school.

Back home, we don't really appreciate how low our humidity is during the summer.

17. OP
    OP
    PharmGirl214

2+ Year Member

:(

Where did you end up going for school?

18. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Anybody have a comment on the chances of admission at UW as an Oregonian? I'm not an expert on the region specifically, but I think that your odds must be better at OHSU in-state despite the fact that it is one of the rare state schools that doesn't give residents a huge advantage. I don't think that I'd try UW oos with lower than a 36 MCAT.

19. Doctor Bagel

Attending Physician
    Thin to none even with a 36+ MCAT. UW accepts such a small number of oos non-WWAMI students that you pretty much have zero odds of being admitted. From my understanding, they might take some urm oos'ers and some applicants who have strong (and I mean really strong) commitment to serving underserved populations.

20. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're not weird. Plenty of us see it for what it is and still move foreward. I think that even amidst all the bs being able to positively impact people's lives everyday will motivate me thru the bs. I also think that the best way to change a system is from within.

21. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "I also think that the best way to change a system is from within."

The battle cry of many a mouse fighting a snake.:laugh:

22. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    An Oregon resident? My condolences. :( ;)

The west coast is pretty hard to get into med school so be prepared to leave the state (or the west coast) if you do med school.

Have you shadowed a doctor yet? Had any clinical experiences? If not, try doing that first. If you still like what you see, start pulling together an application. Your clinical experiences will come in handle when you have to list our your CV and ask for recommendations. I'm assuming you did the prereqs so your biggest hurdle will be the MCAT. If you can dedicate yourself to months of MCAT studying on your own, and you do well, that's a good sign that you will survive med school. In many ways, medical school will require good self-studying skills, alot of self discipline and yes, a lot of high stake exams where your competitors are all really smart. But you get to have fun in med school too. You get to spend time with a lot of young people your age, and they give you breaks in between exams to have fun with them. Med school is harder than college in terms of workload and intensity and you can no longer spend your time 'finding yourself' or taking fun courses like "pottery making" and have it count toward your degree, but it can be interesting for those that are interested in the science aspects of it and it can be an enjoyable experience.

23. Chulito

Chulito El feucho
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I do. Pleeeeaaaase, gods of UW, let me stay here.

Just to reinforce what Critical Mass has said, UW has a heavy preference for WWAMI residents, and 89%-93% of the people accepted here each year are from a WWAMI state. The MSTP students are counted amongst the out-of-region folks for that statistic, so there aren't many spaces left for regular MDs from other states--it is definitely tough. Hell, it's tough to get in as a WWAMI resident. Oregon, alas, is not a WWAMI state, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for UW if I were you.

24. Northerner

Northerner Coquettish Haberdasher
    10+ Year Member

Well, you'll be strategically equipped to score some chicks, at the very least.

......oh "PharmGIRL".....I see. Well I don't know about how well med school lesbians do with the broads, sorry.

25. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is my life as an MS2:
    WEEK 1: Start of a new organ-system block. Feeling a little tired from the past exam, but really interested in the upcoming material! This block looks so interesting and fun. I go to class in the morning, clinical skills sessions in the afternoon on Tuesday or Wednesday. Tell my friends how much fun clinical skills sessions are - what useful stuff I'm learning! I study in the afternoon for 4-5 hours (depending on how many lectures we had in the morning), and then spend the evening going to the gym, reading books, poking around SDN, and going to sleep early. I'm so happy that I decided to go to med school, and so grateful that I have the opportunity and privilege to learn such fascinating and interesting things. Excited about becoming a doctor - can't wait!

BEGINNING OF WEEK 2: Still going to class, although I'm not as chipper about it as I was last week. Joke with my classmates about how far behind I am on studying.

END OF WEEK 2: No longer going to class. Spend my afternoons running around the city, trying to do stuff for my student organization, which I stupidly agreed to be President of. Am ready to kill J., the 3rd year who dumped all this crap on me, and then managed to sweet-talk me into agreeing to take over the leadership. Will tell anyone who has 2 functioning ears that the only reason why he wanted me to take over the organization is so that he wouldn't be known as the guy who "let this student group die." Call him some horrible names (in public).

Decide to offer free burritos as bait to get students to come to the lunchtime lecture that my student organization is sponsoring. Get into argument with manager of burrito shop, who refuses to cut their massive burritos in half, and tells me that she'll "only" charge me $250 for them (when I told her, over and over again, that I only have $150 to spend). Consider flogging her around the head with my stethoscope.

WEEK 3 (= exam week): Still behind in studying, but no longer joking about it - more like crying, rocking back and forth in the fetal position. Ready to pull my hair out. Waste precious time cursing those stupid, useless clinical skills sessions that are taking me away from studying. Studying all the time - don't even want to take time out to go to the bathroom. Ask God why I was stupid enough to go to med school. Have a panic attack the night before the test, because it's still all a random bunch of facts that I haven't made into a coherent whole yet. Start whimpering about how screwed I am. Want to sleep, but can't - so...much...caffeine....

Have a panic attack DURING the actual test, because I wonder that, since I can't coherently use this clinical information during a TEST, if that means that I won't be able to coherently use this clinical information when seeing actual PATIENTS.

POST-EXAM WEEKEND: Reasonably sure that I passed. Feeling okay. Go home and relax. Resist the urge to pick up my notes and check my answers. Have to teach myself how to use the TV remote again (because I haven't picked it up in 2 weeks). Watch TV for a few hours, and am shocked, SHOCKED to hear that Anna Nicole Smith died. When I register my surprise, my mother asks me where I've been - living under a rock on Mars? (Actually....)

MONDAY MORNING: Start the whole darn process over again....

So - that's a (slightly exaggerated) glimpse into my life as an MS2! Good luck!

26. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My social life isn't obsolete, but I had to re-learn a lot of basic social skills during the first few months of 1st year. Most of my attempted contributions to conversations with non-med school friends were pretty gross and socially unacceptable, or else very, very boring:

"The funniest thing happened in anatomy lab! We were pulling out the small intestine, and...oh."

"It was pretty funny when Dr. S accidentally sliced open the bladder and this stream of...never mind."

"You know what that reminds me of? This time we sliced open the scrotum and this weird whitish, waxy stuff...forget it."

"Last weekend? Oh, I studied last weekend. What am I doing this weekend? I'm probably going to...study. Again. And maybe shake things up by doing some laundry."

Good times. :p

Seriously, med school's not that bad, and it even has some bright spots. Hopefully, over time, you'll be able to choose which one you like better - pharm school or med school. Good luck!

27. OP
    OP
    PharmGirl214

2+ Year Member

I'm a sophomore right now, but entered as a pre-pharm so I do have a lot of science behind my belt. I've done volunteer work and work at pharmacies up until now, so I'm hoping this summer is when I get the chance to shadow a doctor and get more experience there. Thanks for all the great advice :)

Smq: Thank you too, lots of good stuff! :laugh: