The real Pharmacy tech Pay wage!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duskandlight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got hired over at walmart for 9.40 a hour. Yeah it may be a lil low on the high pay scale but I have been looking for a job like this for 2 years. I've applied to 43 pharmacies, heard back from 2. after following up like 20 times. finaly I got an interview at cvs, Then i got one from walmart. They called me back three days later to schedual a second interview. Right off the bat I Got it. all companys have a pay schedual. Starts off with there regular pay. lets say 8.50 so they have levels. they have 6 diff levels. each level erns extra on there real wage. Its level 4 for me and 90 cents extra.

after 3 months you can get a 90 cent or 60 cent raise.

I love it.

now what are other people getting>??

Members don't see this ad.

Eleventy Billion Dollars per hour.
:smuggrin:

Congrats on the job! I actually had my interview at Wal-Mart today and they offered me a job. I'm in the midwest - my starting pay is $8.30, with a $0.40 to $0.60 raise after 60 days and the same type of raise after 6 months. I'm starting off as a Tech I, the lowest level - so hopefully I can bump up to a Tech II or III before long (and get another raise). Of course, I've never set foot in a pharmacy as an employee, so I'm not grousing about the starting wage too much - I'm in it for the experience, not the money (as much anyway)!

I have been surprised that I haven't seen anyone else on here talking about working at Wal-Mart - I figured they must have a lot of pharm techs. I suspect they are trying to hire and train a bunch of people before they roll out the $4 generic plan countrywide, but that's just my suspicion.

Congrats again - let me know how you like it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Like all of the other threads say, it really depends on what city/state you're in. I'm in Honolulu HI, no tech experience, and I'm getting paid a little more than $15/hour at an inpatient pharmacy. But my work place has/likes majority student techs. It ended up being a great deal for me because I just wanted the exposure and wasn't expecting that high of a pay. It'll just end up helping me pay for my flight/hotel costs when interviews come around.

But congrats on the job, I know how exciting it is to nab a position :D

I would have loved to make $9.50 straight out of highschool (not that that is all the education YOU have, but thats all you NEED to be a tech). It would have been better than the other crappy min wage jobs I had.

I am not working. So I am making 0 dollars an hour. Oh wait, Im going to school, so make that -$100 an hour. ;)

Here at the Costco pharmacy its 10 bucks an hour starting....
you guys should really try costco pharmacy...its is very easy...well for the entry pharm tech positions...usually they are always hiring also...well mine is

you guys should really try costco pharmacy...its is very easy...well for the entry pharm tech positions...usually they are always hiring also...well mine is

Why don't people stay???

well thanks for the thanks.. i really do enjoy it. because there are no pharmacy techs, I'll be starting off as a pharm tech II. Thats why im making a little more. Im going to be trained for the first few weeks with a tech. i start saterday.so will this help out with applying to college?

I got a job at a CVS/Savon Pharmacy in southern california and the pay is $10.65 / hour for a pharm tech. The cost of living here is pretty high though.

Im thinking of taking online classes to be a certified Pharm Tech. Do colleges look upon certification favorably?

I got a job at a CVS/Savon Pharmacy in southern california and the pay is $10.65 / hour for a pharm tech. The cost of living here is pretty high though.

you know, you can make a lot more money working in an independant pharmacy. Not to metion the opportunity for various experiences is HUGE. I make 15.00 an hour as clerk, and I get to do so many tasks. I even get to deal with the whole salers, place the rx inventroy orders, otc orders, I've gotten to know many of the patients and their drug history. I highly reocmend working at the smaller stores......

Members don't see this ad :)
Im thinking of taking online classes to be a certified Pharm Tech. Do colleges look upon certification favorably?

what i really think is that yes it might help with college but alot of financial help is denied...i think im not sure

I work at Walgreens and my initial pay was 8.50. Then I got certified and now I make 10.25 per hour (goes up every year). With retail pharmacies, your rate will go up every year (well it should). Hospital pharmacies pay a lot more. I have one friend that gets 18/hour and another at 15 /hour

what i really think is that yes it might help with college but alot of financial help is denied...i think im not sure

Without getting into Pharmacy school, the financial aid stuff is a moot point. If it helps with admissions, ill definitely do it. Do you know how much it helps or how significant it is compared to being a clerk?

I just got a job at CVS, no experience fresh license. They have some company policy that makes it so regardless of if you are cpht, you start at clerk till you complete their in-house training ish. My pharmacist is awesome and made the store manager start me at $12.50. Because the techs are paid through the store's budget unlike interns and pharmacists, its up to the store manager, most of the time these guys are looking for their bonus at the end of the year and like to jip young people. But ultimately, if you're doing it for the money lol its NOT worth it (till you're a pharmD hehe).

PS: I got my tech cert by studying on my own and taking the exam, if youve got enough college experience to be ready to apply to pharmD right now, you are probably fit to take the exam after studying on your own w/o taking the classes etc.

:eek: I'm working as a pharmacy clerk at a NC CVS, so I'm in the middle of training to get a tech license. I make 8 bucks an hour. Apparently that's really horrible compared to everyone else? I only get a raise after a year of working there, too. Ah well, I enjoy it.

PS: I got my tech cert by studying on my own and taking the exam, if youve got enough college experience to be ready to apply to pharmD right now, you are probably fit to take the exam after studying on your own w/o taking the classes etc.

Are you still in college or have you graduated? And how long did you study/ where did you get study materials before you took the exam?

wow..techs don't get paid much for all the work that they do. and here i thought that i get paid very little at target :D

i wonder if it depends on the market or not, but i agree as a clerk you get pay around 8ish. But if you were a typist, typing in prescription, then it's 11is. I get paid 15ish once I got my tech license. I guess i should be happy with my wage then. i actualy thought 15ish is still too low, i dont' even make enough to pay bill (after taxes). i work for walgreens btw. and i interviewed for walmart, damn, they start out a lot lower than walgreen and the system is not that great. at least with walgreens, they have their own technical people dedicated to improving the computers software and stuff.

I get $17/hour at an inpatient hospital pharmacy in the midwest.

i make $16.50/hr at a CVS in Chicago.

I'm a street pharmacist, pull in around $5k a week--depending on how many of my clients are in jail.

I work at walgreens and get paid $9.50 an hour. I had no experience what so ever and I really like the fact that walgreens pays for your certification classes to become a tech. And you get paid while attending classes.:D I been working there about three weeks now and I enter prescriptions into the system, talk to patients, make compounds, etc. I dont know about the raises I get but this is the first job I REALLY enjoy so I dont really care about the raises. After having this job, it has put doubt in my head about med. school.

Can soembody elaborate more on the tech. levels? Do you have to take more classes to get upgraded or is it based on experience?:oops:

What's the computer system used at costco pharmacy. Is it userfriendly and efficient?

$17/hr inpatient pharmacy. I'm a clinical tech so my job is a little different.

Do pharmacy techs have a high school education or do you need something more?

Do pharmacy techs have a high school education or do you need something more?

A high school education will suffice. They have this ROTC program in high school for seniors (and maybe juniors too?) where you can take the course (it's like 1 semester), pass the test, and voila, you're a pharmacy tech. Of course, this was back in 2001-2002 when I was a senior in high schoool;) ...If you do not choose this option, you have to go to some pharm tech school (you do not need an undergraduate college degree for this) and then take a test and get your pharmacy tech license.

I second that!!! I work at Target with 7.50/hr with no pharm experience and certification. Fulltime tech who has been working for 12 years gets 15/hr.

i have a friend whos working as a tech at ucsf pharm for 20/hour starting with 30/hour overtime...

I've been at Walgreens (in Florida) for 2+ years and I only make 9.75/hr. I've been certified for over a year now. I started at $7 something then with the certification and yearly raises, it has gotten up to 9.75 but it's slow moving from here on out. :oops:

So how many out there are making Pharmacy Tech. a career? I would believe those of you who make 17-20$ an hour ould have thought about it?

I'm interested in knowing this, so feel free to answer! :)

I live in Utah. I tried working at a few different pharmacies and even volunteering (for experience for pharmacy school). But, I had no luck getting on anywhere. Even Walgreens in my area is open 24/7 everyday of the year. I applied there because their site claim they pay to train you as others have claimed. But, after I followed up on my application, they said, that you have to become certified first, obviously they must of had a serious mistake take place in the pharmacy (someone not being licensed, but in the end isn't the pharmacist that should be rechecking to make sure everything is handled correctly?)

So, anyways, I am suprised by some of the hourly wages that some of you receive ($15 and above), congratulations by the way. I am wonder when you applied did you know what the started wage was? How much experience did you have when you applied? Obiviously, I won't have any experience going in when I start, but I will be certified. I am biology major, who graduated with my Bachleors a few years ago, and have decided now that I want to persue Pharmacy. I applied to USN this year, but I don't think I am going to get in. So, I am going to work on clinical side of things and improve my pharmacy resume so to speak.

Any suggestions, I have thought about applying to Costco, and Walgreens, potential the hospital pharmacy as well. If you guys could provide some input on how you were able to negotiate a higher pay wage? What pharmacies pay higher in general? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

As a tech in Tennessee I started out at $8.00/hour at CVS, then went to $9.00/hour after I got certified. As an intern though, my salary doesn't come out of the store budget, so I got upped to $12.00/hour, which, sadly, is more than some of the techs that have been there for years make.

I live in Utah. I tried working at a few different pharmacies and even volunteering (for experience for pharmacy school). But, I had no luck getting on anywhere. Even Walgreens in my area is open 24/7 everyday of the year. I applied there because their site claim they pay to train you as others have claimed. But, after I followed up on my application, they said, that you have to become certified first, obviously they must of had a serious mistake take place in the pharmacy (someone not being licensed, but in the end isn't the pharmacist that should be rechecking to make sure everything is handled correctly?)

So, anyways, I am suprised by some of the hourly wages that some of you receive ($15 and above), congratulations by the way. I am wonder when you applied did you know what the started wage was? How much experience did you have when you applied? Obiviously, I won't have any experience going in when I start, but I will be certified. I am biology major, who graduated with my Bachleors a few years ago, and have decided now that I want to persue Pharmacy. I applied to USN this year, but I don't think I am going to get in. So, I am going to work on clinical side of things and improve my pharmacy resume so to speak.

Any suggestions, I have thought about applying to Costco, and Walgreens, potential the hospital pharmacy as well. If you guys could provide some input on how you were able to negotiate a higher pay wage? What pharmacies pay higher in general? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I'll save you some time. You must be licensed to be a tech in Utah. Go online to the Utah State Board of Pharmacy. It gives the licensing requirements & the places where you can train to become a tech. Interestingly, there are pharmacies which train you for that - so go to those. They are listed by name with their address & telephone #.

If you've been told by one pharmacy they won't hire you without being licensed - no one will....so go check out the official website to actually find out the detail.

Good luck!

So how many out there are making Pharmacy Tech. a career? I would believe those of you who make 17-20$ an hour ould have thought about it?

I'm interested in knowing this, so feel free to answer! :)

I'm not a tech, but I work with many who have made it a career. My current tech makes $24/hr.

I once read that nationally, the average tech wage is about $12-$13 per hour.
If you are a pharmacy student, you can get paid quite well.

I'm currently a tech at Rite aid and get $13/hr in CA. Anyone out there a Rite Aid tech? I've just started with Rite aid and would love any information on how to survive and do well as a tech at Rite aid. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

After 3 years as a pharmacy tech (both in the hospital and walgreens), I am still not certified. When I started working, they had stopped paying for the test, so I didn't even bother to take it. It depends on the state. I think the hospital paid me over $10 started out and when I left, I made $13.50, but Walgreens paid me only $8.25!!!

15.75 at Walgreens in Northern Calif. Sr. techs make $18

All you guys make so much! I havent started working yet, but the Pharmacist said he would start me at $9 (this is at rite aid), and he said thats higher then he normally starts his techs. I was happy with 9, but I am now hearing people make 12-20? thats insane!

........soooOOO EVERYONE WORK AT RETAIL... ANY PHARM TECH WORK AT HOSPITAL SETTING...DO THEY PAY MORE AT HOSPITAL? I CAN NEVER WORK AT RETAIL UNLESS THE DEAL 100k+ SALARY. WORKING AT RETAIL IS LIKE WORKING AT MCDONALDS THE CUSTOMER WILL BOSS YOU AROUND AND SLAVE YOU BECAUSE CUSTOMERS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. ATLEAST AT HOSPITAL THERE ARE NO CUSTOMERS.

$8.15 at CVS in South Carolina with two years of experience and national certification....kind of sucks....my status will change to intern soon....do you get a raise when your status changes like that?

$8.15 at CVS in South Carolina with two years of experience and national certification....kind of sucks....my status will change to intern soon....do you get a raise when your status changes like that?

For CVS, techs are paid through the store budget and interns paid by corporate, so yes you should get a raise!!!

I just got a job at CVS, no experience fresh license. They have some company policy that makes it so regardless of if you are cpht, you start at clerk till you complete their in-house training ish. My pharmacist is awesome and made the store manager start me at $12.50. Because the techs are paid through the store's budget unlike interns and pharmacists, its up to the store manager, most of the time these guys are looking for their bonus at the end of the year and like to jip young people. But ultimately, if you're doing it for the money lol its NOT worth it (till you're a pharmD hehe).

Iam really interested in taking the test on my own, but i dont k now what study material should i get or from where to get it from. Can you tell me what did you use for your preparation and from where you can get it from?
Thanks

Dear friends,
I really would like to know how to look for a technician job? Do i have to go in person to different pharmacies like walgreens, CVS, Walmart etc....and ask if they have an opening? or are there other procedures to apply or to know who has an opening? Please let me know how did you look for your jobs or applied for them.
I also have no experience what so ever and iam not certified, so is that a major problem? will i still be able to find a job?
Thanks

........soooOOO EVERYONE WORK AT RETAIL... ANY PHARM TECH WORK AT HOSPITAL SETTING...DO THEY PAY MORE AT HOSPITAL? I CAN NEVER WORK AT RETAIL UNLESS THE DEAL 100k+ SALARY. WORKING AT RETAIL IS LIKE WORKING AT MCDONALDS THE CUSTOMER WILL BOSS YOU AROUND AND SLAVE YOU BECAUSE CUSTOMERS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. ATLEAST AT HOSPITAL THERE ARE NO CUSTOMERS.

Hospitals start out paying more (at least where I live) and then every year, you get a 3% raise. I got an extra $1 an hour for working weekend and $1 for working after 7PM.

This is what I did and it worked out fine. I have taken both test required by Utah (National and State), depending on where you live it will be different, but most likely you will have to take the National test by PTCB.org. I think you have until the end of this month to sign up for the next testing window. Now I am trying to get on and get my training hours so I can get licensed.

I bought two different books, to study for the exam. These were some what helpful. But the best thing I did for studying was buying a CD-ROM study guide and 200 flash cards.

CD-Rom

flash cards

Trust me they worked very well. I just received my passing score of 858 out of 900, yesterday from the PTCB. Don't worry I am not getting paid, or I am not pharmacy trainer. I am just letting you know what worked for me.

Good luck

I worked in the pharmacy for 3 years (currently not) and I never took the PTCB. I guess I should have. But I don't think I would need to now since I'll be getting my intern license. I heard some schools require that you get your tech license before the intern license, is that true?