The real reason why SDN was shut down!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowy onion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently SDN's outage over the last day or two was the result of an investigation carried out by AAMC. The last stage of this investigation is carried out a week before MCAT results are reported. In cases where individuals are found to be sharing MCAT questions online, the usernames are traced when possible, and in some cases MCAT tests are canceled. These individuals are sometimes (rarely) prosecuted, and usually get away with nullification of test and a slap on the wrist (not to mention that Med-Schools find out).
I suggest that if you are one of these individuals that you start deleting your MCAT question discussions. Hopefully this will take you 6 days and occupy you until your scores come out. Then again.....you can come up with some of your own rubbish to amuse yourself in-between all to frequenct MCAT THx visits :p :)

Members don't see this ad.

shadowy onion said:
Apparently SDN's outage over the last day or two was the result of an investigation carried out by AAMC. The last stage of this investigation is carried out a week before MCAT results are reported. In cases where individuals are found to be sharing MCAT questions online, the usernames are traced when possible, and in some cases MCAT tests are canceled. These individuals are sometimes (rarely) prosecuted, and usually get away with nullification of test and a slap on the wrist (not to mention that Med-Schools find out).
I suggest that if you are one of these individuals that you start deleting your MCAT question discussions. Hopefully this will take you 6 days and occupy you until your scores come out. And don't worry they will :)

thanks for enlightening me :smuggrin:

shadowy onion said:
These individuals are sometimes (rarely) prosecuted, and usually get away with nullification of test and a slap on the wrist (not to mention that Med-Schools find out).

as if any connection can be made between someone's screenname and their AMCAS application/medical schools. :rolleyes:

your mom goes to college.

Members don't see this ad :)
americanidiot said:
as if any connection can be made between someone's screenname and their AMCAS application/medical schools. :rolleyes:

your mom goes to college.

SDN Screenname -> SDN Post IP address -> Internet provider -> ISP IP Database -> Your Name -> Your MCAT results

Theoretically, it is possible. But it would require several subpoenas which would be damn hard to get.

shadowy onion said:
I suggest that if you are one of these individuals that you start deleting your MCAT question discussions. Hopefully this will take you 6 days and occupy you until your scores come out. Then again.....you can come up with some of your own rubbish to amuse yourself in-between all to frequenct MCAT THx visits :p :)

then why should the rest of us, who didn't even take the MCAT have to suffer and not be able to access sdn? :confused:

I think the OP is an idiot, but yes they can trace you through SDN...as long as SDN logs your IP number. Its really complicated and once you get a trace you have to hope its not a public access computer. If you used sdn through your schools computer lab, they have to get subpoenas to get the school to release the login information for the computer you used....I just dont think AAMC cares enough to go through all that.

I'm just glad SDN is back on so I can take my neuroses for a walk.

junebuguf said:
I think the OP is an idiot, but yes they can trace you through SDN...as long as SDN logs your IP number. Its really complicated and once you get a trace you have to hope its not a public access computer. If you used sdn through your schools computer lab, they have to get subpoenas to get the school to release the login information for the computer you used....I just dont think AAMC cares enough to go through all that.

I'm just glad SDN is back on so I can take my neuroses for a walk.

wow, relax.
We're all anxious about finally getting our scores back.
Enjoy life a bit and lighten up.
:)

hardy said:
SDN Screenname -> SDN Post IP address -> Internet provider -> ISP IP Database -> Your Name -> Your MCAT results

Theoretically, it is possible. But it would require several subpoenas which would be damn hard to get.

Yes and they would have as much luck with this investigation as they did finding WMD's in Iraq.

Funny thread.

sunnyjohn said:
Yes and they would have as much luck with this investigation as they did finding WMD's in Iraq.

Funny thread.

The OP was just playing around but it is true that SDN will never reveal your IP address unless they get a court subpoena. Its part of the terms of service you agreed to when you set up your account and is one of the major reasons SDN is such a success, people can share info and remain anonymous.

Oh, and the reason SDN's been down so often this week is that the server keeps crashing on the IT guys and they have to keep resetting it. Hopefully they were finally able to fix it yesterday, I guess we'll know if the server doesn't crash. :laugh:

Braveheart said:
here is my 2 cent...i blame Michael Jackson :laugh:

GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GUILTY
GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbdown: :confused:

sweetstuff25 said:
i blame dick cheney.
Careful -- don't say bad stuff about Dick Cheney in public. Who knows what the Patriot Act allows his minions to do to you?