the reality of med school/residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTtoMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in a prior post that i am finally taking steps towards med school. I am married with a baby and a very supportive husband. I am trying to figure out how this would all work. Is it common or unheard of for people to take a year off during med school or residency (eg. to have a child) and is this looked down upon by programs?
Another concern is geography. If my spouse, although supportive, can not move out of the area because of his life/work committments, am i setting myself up for failure? Is it possible to find a good residency in a limited area or do you usually apply all over the country? I know that I would be severely limiting myself with med school apps by staying in the area but my husbands career has no flexibility plus we are happy here (great support network, family is close to help with the baby if i did ever get in). I am in the NYC area-from what i have been told, there are 2 less competetive schools and a bunch of big name schools.
In PT school, there were 2 couples that moved for the sake of school and both were divorced before graduation-it scared me a little! I think, for me, one major life change at a time is sufficient!
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Geography is easy. NY has a boatload of med schools. So if you have to restrict your app by location, you can't really pick a better place to do it.

Furthermore if you add New Haven & Philly to your possibles, then you have maybe 20 schools on the list.

The question of planning to have more kids during med school is going to open a fresh can of worms. Here's a worm summary:

- legally, you can have kids whenever you want and can't be discriminated against in any way for it
- empirically, every med school class includes students who get pregnant
- realistically, no med school wants you to interrupt your training. There's no school that will hand you a "services we offer our students who are expecting" pamphlet. They'd rather you wouldn't.
- anecdotally, I've never heard of a med school letting you take a year off to have a(nother) kid. I think three of the 20 books I've read about the med school/residency experience include stories about women having kids during training. Nobody made it sound easy or fun.
- personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd have the 2nd kid before I start applying to med school

Lastly, here's a blog that ROCKS by a NYC med student who married a med student and had a kid during residency: http://theunderweardrawer.blogspot.com/

Best of luck to you.

I mentioned in a prior post that i am finally taking steps towards med school. I am married with a baby and a very supportive husband. I am trying to figure out how this would all work. Is it common or unheard of for people to take a year off during med school or residency (eg. to have a child) and is this looked down upon by programs?...
I would say it's common for folks to have a baby in school. Period. To my knowledge, one classmate had a child (their second) and two others are trying. It is difficult, but none of these folks are taking time off.
...Another concern is geography. If my spouse, although supportive, can not move out of the area because of his life/work committments, am i setting myself up for failure? Is it possible to find a good residency in a limited area or do you usually apply all over the country?...
Dependent on how good of a student you are, and your interests/desired field, you may have no problem. There's lots of programs and schools in NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it common or unheard of for people to take a year off during med school or residency (eg. to have a child) and is this looked down upon by programs?

We had baby #1 the summer between my wife's third and fourth year of medical school. The school allowed her to flex her 4th year off time so that she had a number of weeks at home with the baby before coming back to an easy rotation. Then she jumped back into things and graduated with her class. She was AOA and finished in the top three in her class -- being pregnant/having a baby didn't cause her any trouble.

We had baby #2 during my wife's third year of IM residency. She took FMLA leave. Because of the LOA, she finished her residency "late" (stayed on past 30 June of that year) but timed it so she could still sit for the boards that year.

So from my experience, it's not a big deal.

don't know if this helps but . . .

i'm applying to yale and i noticed that they give you the opportunity to take a year off after 3rd year to pursue other academic interests or have a child.

the website specifically says that they respect people that take on the responsibility of bearing and raising children or something to that effect.

i know that yale is one school and a difficult one to get into at that, but just thought i'd throw that out there.

I mentioned in a prior post that i am finally taking steps towards med school. I am married with a baby and a very supportive husband. I am trying to figure out how this would all work. Is it common or unheard of for people to take a year off during med school or residency (eg. to have a child) and is this looked down upon by programs?
Another concern is geography. If my spouse, although supportive, can not move out of the area because of his life/work committments, am i setting myself up for failure? Is it possible to find a good residency in a limited area or do you usually apply all over the country? I know that I would be severely limiting myself with med school apps by staying in the area but my husbands career has no flexibility plus we are happy here (great support network, family is close to help with the baby if i did ever get in). I am in the NYC area-from what i have been told, there are 2 less competetive schools and a bunch of big name schools.
In PT school, there were 2 couples that moved for the sake of school and both were divorced before graduation-it scared me a little! I think, for me, one major life change at a time is sufficient!
Thanks in advance.

If you are a competitive, read above average, applicant, (current undergraduate GPA 3.6 and MCAT average) with an otherwise excellent application, you can apply to a lesser number of medical schools with better success. The hurdle is to get your numbers above the average for the schools that interest you.

The perceived "competitiveness" of the school isn't going to make much difference as all medical schools in this country are competitive regardless of reputation. If a school with lower undergraduate GPA/MCAT averages has 3,000+ applicants for 100 slots, it's going to be an uphill battle regardless of your stats. With those odds, you really have to stand out regardless of "tier".

The second thing that you have to look at is that it might take you more than one year to gain admission to medical school if you are very geographically limited. If you know this up front, you can do some planning and keep your head together.

How competitive you are for residency depends on how you perform in medical school and which specialty interests you. Even if you are first in your class, if you have your heart set on dermatology, you are going to need to apply broadly because you will be against some of the most competitive medical school graduates across the country for a limited number of slots.

On the other hand, if you are interested in Internal Medicine, Peds or Family Medicine, you have more slots in more areas and you can be less competitive because the numbers are in your favor. There are simply more slots than applicants and you stand a better chance of matching. Most people who enter the lesser competitive specialties can pick a smaller geographical area and successfully match.

Do realize that what happened to the couples in your PT school is not the future for you. Keep their experiences in the back of your mind as something to avoid but you have to realistically deal with your situation. If you have decided that you cannot relocate, then prepare yourself for making sure that you are successful without relocating. This means good and realistic research so that you can meet and exceed the requirements for the schools in your area. This also means that you need to be very aware of the implications of being geographically limited and prepared to make the necessary adjustments.

None of the women in my medical school class or residency (general surgery) took a year off to have a child. All of them were able to continue with their studies/work in addition to giving birth. During residency, this meant scheduling their vacation months around the birth of their child in addition to doing some research months before getting back to clinical duties. In medical school, this meant relying on fellow classmates for notes and help with assignments but very doable. One of my classmates give birth five days before Match Day which meant that she was on residency interviews while quite pregnant and still matched very successfully.

Speak with some women who are IN medical school/residency with children or who have given birth during school and ask them how they put everything together. Figure out what will work and what will not work out for you. Don't compare yourself to anyone or any other situation but obtain as much info as you can and make any adjustments that you can but be as realistic as possible. Medicine is a demanding career and depending on your needs, may not work out for you at this time. Again, you have to decide what is best for you.

Finally, if you cannot work out a process that will enable you to attend medical school and take care of your family's needs, either look into other careers (Physician Assistant comes to mind) that would place less demands on your family life and provide a very rewarding career or delay your plans until you can be more flexible. There is no age limit on attending medical school or entering medicine if that is your dream. (One of my classmates was a grandmother, aged 53, when she started medical school). Dream delayed does not mean the same thing as dream denied.

Wow-thank you all for the great information! This is extremely helpful. I am going to make this work. Like so many others who post here-this is a dream that won't go away. I don't want to turn around at 60 and be full of regret that i never gave this a try. Starting organic chem in the fall-a step in the right direction! Thanks again.

Wow-thank you all for the great information! This is extremely helpful. I am going to make this work. Like so many others who post here-this is a dream that won't go away. I don't want to turn around at 60 and be full of regret that i never gave this a try. Starting organic chem in the fall-a step in the right direction! Thanks again.
Just want to add my support. njbmd gave some very excellent thoughts and advice. I was able to get admitted to a med school where we live, which really made life easier for my husband and kids. He would have moved if we had to, but it would have been a very difficult venture. I have classmates who have been in the same position, either with med school or residency, with a family and the need to stay in one place. It does make it harder, and you have to be patient, but it is doable. :)

One thing to add.... is your husband in the financial position where you guys can afford full-time childcare?? Is there a family member who could possibly live with you to help take care of the kids?? Could you at least afford (both space and money) an au-pair??

DH is in an ophthalmology residency and of the students who have had babies either during med school or residency, nearly all of them have somebody living with them (usually Grandma) to help take care of the child.