The 'Rejected by Your Own School' Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pomplemousse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you feel the love? Because I don't

bah!

(and by Pwn I meant Own. Oops)

Members don't see this ad.

can't you edit the title?

i got shafted also
still on waitlist status (pre-interview) at ucsd
doesn't look hopeful though
where is the love?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh how I pity the poor souls that feel entitled to get accepted to a med school due to their alumni status at the school's undergrad institution. :rolleyes:

think of us poor souls that goto colleges with no med school, we don't ask for special treatment, just an equal chance to be looked at.

I didn't even apply to my school (Johns Hopkins)

can't you edit the title?

kind of a side note, but if any of u watched the southpark episode w/word of warcraft, "pwnage" comes from teh same kind of typo of a P instead of an O.:)

kind of a side note, but if any of u watched the southpark episode w/word of warcraft, "pwnage" comes from teh same kind of typo of a P instead of an O.:)

good thing you reminded me. i heard that episode is crazy good. ima gonna go watch that on youtube right now!!

The bad thing is when they tease you with an interview... perhaps to try and lose less alumni money?

40 or so out of 120 of last year's M1s at UCLA Geffen went to UCLA undergrad

or so it is rumored.

When my daughter was applying to college she was pretty sure she'd apply to medical school after undergrad. She was accepted to the 2 colleges she applied to (both state schools). College A has a (good) medical school and College B does not have a medical school. She was told by a phone call to College A's medical school admissions office and talking to both advisors at the 2 undergrad institutions....to go to College B so as to give herself a better chance at College A's medical school down the road. Same advice and same scenario for my second daughter 3 years later. Something about there being "more seats" for other school's undergrads. This is just what we were told and what the girls followed - I can't be sure it's correct or if it applies in all situations.

My undergrad school no longer has any affiliation with the medical school of the same name.

Baylor?
Hey, so I'm currently considering Baylor Med. What exactly happenned? Why the split?

Members don't see this ad :)
When my daughter was applying to college she was pretty sure she'd apply to medical school after undergrad. She was accepted to the 2 colleges she applied to (both state schools). College A has a (good) medical school and College B does not have a medical school. She was told by a phone call to College A's medical school admissions office and talking to both advisors at the 2 undergrad institutions....to go to College B so as to give herself a better chance at College A's medical school down the road. Same advice and same scenario for my second daughter 3 years later. Something about there being "more seats" for other school's undergrads. This is just what we were told and what the girls followed - I can't be sure it's correct or if it applies in all situations.

I've seen people give out this advice before and am very suspect of it. I think what it boils down to is a numbers issue. For example, in Michigan, many a High schooler has hopes of getting to the University of Michigan medical school. Many smaller schools will make claims that they are more probable of getting you into U of M's med school than U of M undergrad. This is an artifact of percentages though, rather than the real situation.
UM undergrad -> Med school probably has a horrible percentage rate because there are so many damn candidates and only so many spots available for in state students. Thus, if you come from some random other Michigan school and you're one of 2 applicants to U of M med school, yeah, you may get accepted one year and give your school a 50% success rate, but not always (way too small of sample sizes out there). For some clarity, this year there are over 20 students accepted from U of M undergrad, and only 1 from MSU, 1 from Hope, and one from GVSU. I'd rather have to be top 20 at U of M than the utmost top 1 at another school.

Uf, sorry for the long-winded post. And, being a U of M undergrad and accepted to the med school, I may be somewhat biased, though.

Baylor?
Hey, so I'm currently considering Baylor Med. What exactly happenned? Why the split?

Baylor U is rather conservative Christian...this was not exactly complimentary to BCM's desire to be a medical research instituion.

Last year...I applied to my undergrad's med school. they rejected me pre-secondary and then sent a letter of apology saying that their electronic system messed up...so i sent my secondary in...the school kept of losing one of my LOR...the professor sent it in four times before they finally added one to my file. after going through all the trouble...I finally got rejected once again post-secondary....no interview!

Well, I havn't been rejected by my own school yet, but I have been waitlisted there. So its a possibility. :( This whole process is really tough for many of us. So just hang in there and know that your not alone!

I've seen people give out this advice before and am very suspect of it. I think what it boils down to is a numbers issue. For example, in Michigan, many a High schooler has hopes of getting to the University of Michigan medical school. Many smaller schools will make claims that they are more probable of getting you into U of M's med school than U of M undergrad. This is an artifact of percentages though, rather than the real situation.
UM undergrad -> Med school probably has a horrible percentage rate because there are so many damn candidates and only so many spots available for in state students. Thus, if you come from some random other Michigan school and you're one of 2 applicants to U of M med school, yeah, you may get accepted one year and give your school a 50% success rate, but not always (way too small of sample sizes out there). For some clarity, this year there are over 20 students accepted from U of M undergrad, and only 1 from MSU, 1 from Hope, and one from GVSU. I'd rather have to be top 20 at U of M than the utmost top 1 at another school.

Uf, sorry for the long-winded post. And, being a U of M undergrad and accepted to the med school, I may be somewhat biased, though.

I think when you go to the school's undergrad (at least at my private) they kind of already know you would fit with the type of people at the medical school--so bonus. However, at a state school, if you come from another state's school or private out of the state, I think you can more easily stand out as unique and good for the school's diversity b/c they don't want only people who've lived in *enter state here* their whole lives--so bonus again.

it's weird because usually med schools with undergrad have this thing called "feeder system" where they admit a lot of their undergrads. This is certainly true for UCs. UCSD usually accept ~30 kids from UCSD every year (one year there was 37).
But still no love for me. It's okay though I ain't complaining too much. I am just that I got interviews.
But just out of curiosity, do you guys see this "feeder" system at your respective schools?

I am not in this situation, but it feels to me like a lot of students who end up at UWisconsin went to Madison for undergrad too. And that is aside from those who participated in medical scholars.

One of the adcom's from the Univ. of Maryland - Baltimore Med school came to UMD - College park (the state's flagship undergrad univ.) for a talk with pre-meds. He said how he loved UM-CP students and how since they're charged with educating Maryland doctors, a lot of the spots went to umcp students. (Although as some have pointed out, there are a lof of us at state schools) There were enough present to fill a 150 person auditorium, with ppl standing in the ailes and the outside hallway. Apparently some on the adcom were "lacrosse snobs" who gave preference to lacrosse players, which made just about everyone in the room look around and say "what the heeey???"

Anyway, yeah, there seems to be a little bit of a feeder system there (although no love for urs truly unfortunately). Still waiting for an interview :(

Pre-interview rejection from my alma mater. :laugh: Figured I would be rejected since my secondary essay was horrendous. Terrible essay topic. I also never volunteered at their hospital. I didn't feel like filing papers and doing admin work for free. Most of my friends quit volunteering after a short while, too.

40 or so out of 120 of last year's M1s at UCLA Geffen went to UCLA undergrad

or so it is rumored.

I think that's the case for most of the UCs, though - that they're, like 80% collectively Berkeley, UCLA and UCSD.

And Etf - me neither. Berkeley doesn't love me.

Nearly half of my med school class was fed by the affiliated undergrad campus thirty miles south. Of course, this is far from Cali where there are many good undergrad universities to choose from.

yeah Baylor.

I have no idea. I checked the Wiki but it doesn't explain why they're not associated.

I think that they are moreso affiliated with Rice. If memory serves, they have one of those competative six-year undergrad/med programs set up with them.

BCM was allied with the undergrad school until the late sixties even though I think the college moved from Dallas to Houston in the 40's. The reason for the move was probably money-related on somebody's behalf. When BCM left Dallas, it paved the way for UTSW to be assimilated.

Interestingly, the Baylor Healthcare System retained its name in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. My feeling is that the hospitals retain some connection with the undergrad university, but my only reason for this stance is the fact that the hospital employees with email accounts have an edu suffice.

Baylor hospital remains a good hospital, and they kept their name despite the medical school leaving. This is contrast to where I live where they keep changing the names of the teaching hospitals every five years.

The latest news in Houston is that BCM is building their own 250-bed hospital because their agreement with St. Luke's dissolved. Their long-time agreement with Methodist disintegrated a few years back, and that hospital is now affiliated with Cornell. Does anybody know if students actually come from New York to do their clinicals in Houston? It will be interesting to see what they call the new hospital since there is already a Baylor Hospital in Dallas.