Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

The Rejection Section

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Wheels2000, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Wheels2000

Wheels2000 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey folks...

So, here's the deal...I've gotten two rejections in two days and while I still feel that I will eventually become a physician, I have to face the realization that out of the 12 schools to which I applied, I might put up a big goose egg this year. I'll finish my master's degree this May (or possibly earlier) so for the next year I'll be looking to either 1) get a job that will stem from that degree, 2) continue with the same job I have now and take post-bac stuff, or 3) try to get into one of these post-bac (or degree) programs specifically designed to ready students for medical school. #1 wouldn't really imporve my application, #2 would to some extent, bu #3 would do the most good in making me a more desirable candidate, I feel.

SO, if you know of any of these programs at colleges around the country, I'd like to hear about them. This topic has come up from time to time here on this board but only sparingly, and usually via other subjects.

Thanks for your help, and continued luck to everybody.

--Wheels

2. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Postbac programs are primarily for students who have not taken or completed the premed sciences (year each of general biol, physics, general chem, organic chem) and, in some programs, for students to take more science electives to improve science GPA.

3. biz

biz Member
    10+ Year Member

First of all, stay positive! You still have 10 schools to hear from!! Second, have to talked to the schools about why you were rejected? That might help you make a decision about what to do to improve your app for next year. Maybe you just need some more volunteer experience or something, which is a lot cheaper and more fun than taking MORE classes.

4. healthydawg

healthydawg Member
    10+ Year Member

i agree with gower above, most of the post bac programs are for folks who haven't completed their prereqs yet. of these, two good ones i know of are hunter college and bryn mawr. you're looking for schools that have agreements with one or more med school that basically say they will give you a really strong look if you make it through the p-bacc.

come to think of it, i think there are a few programs that can help people who have finished their prereqs and didn't get in. they tend to be master's program though so i'm not sure if you would be interested. i think allegheny has one...

i also agree with the other poster who said it's too early to give up yet. is this your first time applying? chances are if you make an interview, you're pretty close to what they want...you might not have to go through the pain of a whole p-bacc to get in. you should definitely try to find out before you commit to anything.

you had a bad stroke of luck with two rejections so close together but all is not lost! hang in there.

5. MH

MH Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Many schools across the country have post-bac's. It just depends on where you want to go. Harvard, Wash U, Tufts etc all have one. I almost went to Tufts. Their program seemed pretty good. They have an affiliation with their med school to, but I am not sure you are able to re-take classes there. I know that you have to take at least four or six classes there to qualify.

Wash U's is not affiliated with the med school, but the people are really pretty helpful there. I am going to be finishing my prerequisites there over next summer. If you are still in KY, it wouldn't be TOO far away either.

But again, if you have all the classes you may not qualify. Have you called and asked any of the schools as to why you haven't gotten in? Don't give up yet either! you have 10 schools left!