The relationship between learning disorders and mental illnesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not too long ago, I recall reading about a possible link between certain learning disabilities and mental illnesses. I am particularly referring to ADHD and bipolar disorder/manic depression. I have read several sources in which it was speculated that children which display the pathognomonic signs of ADHD have high chances of suffering from bipolar as adults. I also read somewhere that Albert Einstein had a son who was diagnosed as schizophrenic and Einstein himself apparently had learning disabilities as a child. I find this an area of interest.

Any opinions or insights on this topic?

Members don't see this ad.

Smilemaker100 said:
Not too long ago, I recall reading about a possible link between certain learning disabilities and mental illnesses. I am particularly referring to ADHD and bipolar disorder/manic depression. I have read several sources in which it was speculated that children which display the pathognomonic signs of ADHD have high chances of suffering from bipolar as adults. I also read somewhere that Albert Einstein had a son who was diagnosed as schizophrenic and Einstein himself apparently had learning disabilities as a child. I find this an area of interest.

Any opinions or insights on this topic?

No question that ADHD, bipolar disorder, and anxiety disorders, with or without substance use, run together genetically. I see it all the time in my practice. I also see a lot of "difficult-to-treat" patients who actually fit in-between, with a "spectrum illness" that doesn't precisely fit into any of those three diagnoses because of the significant overlap. Since the medications for one issue can potentially worsen another issue (e.g., stimulants help ADD, but can worsen anxiety) it takes patience and a good sense of balance to achieve good results.

As for learning disorders, there are links between testosterone in utero and LD and ADHD. Just FYI, ADHD is not considered to be a learning disability. There are no problems with learning or comprehension. It is simply a deficit in executive functioning (prioritizing, immediate memory, & filtering information) and thus is in a separate category.

Hope this helps,
Purpledoc

I am presently reading a book entitled "Manic Depression and Creativity" written by psychiatrist Julian Lieb. Towards the end of the book , there is an interesting passage which discusses learning disabilities and mental illness.

"Manic-depressive disorder can have damaging effects on learning, and it can strike people of all ages, even children. Depressed children can't learn. They don't learn because they can't concentrate; the lack initiative;they are too timid to ask questions or volunteer; they are easily discouraged;they are easily distracted by anxiety, phobias, or compulsions; they cannot organize their activities; and they are chronically fatigued. In extreme cases they may be so phobic that they refuse to go to school. For many of these children, school is hell. For such children who respond to an antidepressant, school becomes a plesant, rewarding and affirming experience.

Over the past decade some psychiatrists have remained unconvinced about the validity of the broad concept of "attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder", viewing it as often the cognitive and behavioral expression of manic-depressive disorder or major depression in childhood. Preliminary research by Dr. Joseph Biederman at Harvard now suggests that between one-fifth and one quarter of children with ADHD have manic-depressive disorder, or will go on to develop it. It falls on educators at all levels to consider depression and manic-depressive disorder in students who are failing or underachieving.

The signs and symptoms of syphilis can imitate so many diseases that, earlier this century, it was named the "great masquerader". When the objective phenomena of mood disorders overtake the romance of Sigmund Freud, depression and manic-depressive disorder will take their place as the masqueraders of the twentieth century, the invisible force behind humankind's greatest achievements and failures."