The relationship between where you go to D school & where you want to practice (boards/networking)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNCafDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how this works. Can somebody explain?

Say I go to dental school in AZ. Will I take AZ boards and then only be able to practice in AZ? What if I decide to move to FL? Will I have to take FL boards?

What I am asking is: if I am admitted to a few schools, should I choose where to attend based on where I would like to live long term? If I graduate dental school in xx state, am I stuck there because that is where I took boards?

Is there a networking angle to consider? Should you go to dental school where you want to ultimately live as you will create community dental connections in the state where you attend dental school?

Thanks for explaining this to a pre-dental!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea how this works. Can somebody explain?

Say I go to dental school in AZ. Will I take AZ boards and then only be able to practice in AZ? What if I decide to move to FL? Will I have to take FL boards?

What I am asking is: if I am admitted to a few schools, should I choose where to attend based on where I would like to live long term? If I graduate dental school in xx state, am I stuck there because that is where I took boards?

Is there a networking angle to consider? Should you go to dental school where you want to ultimately live as you will create community dental connections in the state where you attend dental school?

Thanks for explaining this to a pre-dental!

The two large boards are WREB and ADEX. Most schools will provide both of these two large boards. These boards are accepted in almost every state. There are a few states that do not accept these boards but most do. You shouldn't have a problem.

Florida accepts ADEX for instance which schools (MWU-AZ) offers.

I believe (unless it has changed) that Delaware, New York and Georgia are the only states that don't accept either WREB or ADEX.

Last edited: