efitzpat

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
San Diego
Status
Medical Student
I have officially lived in California more than half my life, and I love it. i think its the best - best weather, best beaches, best food, best geography. I mean really, you can surf, ski, and go to the desert all in one day. Thats awesome.

I do, however, wish the medical schools here were nicer to their residents. I don't want to go back to Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've given 11 years of my life to California. Why would I want to go back to the frozen tundra??!?!?!???

TRN1983

MS1 - I.e. "Know nothing"
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hmm.... I've lived in CA my whole life, and I'm not so sure it qualifies for greatest state. It does have great climate, but people in other states are often friendlier, the economy is generally more stable outside of CA (especially in Texas), and the environment for unreasonable litigation with huge payouts is absolutely hideous in much of CA. There are lots of things not to like about CA.

About the Ads

DrAnteater

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2008
streets of Irvine
Status
Pre-Medical
texas is like saudi arabia
lots of religious people
some billionaires
a ton of oil
but way too hot for any serious person to consider moving there from CA.

otterpop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status
Medical Student
We are definitely the best state. No one talks smack about California.

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Midwest (But always a Cali kid at heart)
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I have officially lived in California more than half my life, and I love it. i think its the best - best weather, best beaches, best food, best geography. I mean really, you can surf, ski, and go to the desert all in one day. Thats awesome.

I do, however, wish the medical schools here were nicer to their residents. I don't want to go back to Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've given 11 years of my life to California. Why would I want to go back to the frozen tundra??!?!?!???
Yeah, UC med schools don't show much love to in-staters. I lived in Southern Cali for 24 out of 25 years of my life, but had to move out to Ohio last year for lack of med school love. At least Cincinnati is giving me a shot (still holding out hope for UC Irvine, but doesn't look good). Ohio schools accept a surprising number of Cali people...

We are definitely the best state. No one talks smack about California.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical
i dont get why people say CA schools show no love for in-staters. most of the matriculants to the UCs are from CA :laugh:

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Our governor can kick their governor's ass. Thus, California >> Texas.

silverhorse84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Our governor can kick their governor's ass. Thus, California >> Texas.

Haha, nice!

I remember hearing from people that if CA broke off from the rest of the US it could have an stable economy because it has pretty much everything. Maybe it's just CA people showing pride for the state :p

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Haha, nice!

I remember hearing from people that if CA broke off from the rest of the US it could have an stable economy because it has pretty much everything. Maybe it's just CA people showing pride for the state :p
Yup, as of 2006 (before the meltdown started), California alone was in the top 10 largest economies of the world (I think 8th or 9th largest, can't remember). The state accounts for almost 15% of the entire U.S. GDP. Not bad. But now....

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical
except we already asked the fed government for a bailout since we'll be out of money by Feb :laugh: :laugh:

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
Cali is the best state and there is no denying it. We have the best weather, best women, best college football and the best food(In and Out!). Cali is the place where everybody wants to be! WE SMASH TEXAS!!!

About the Ads

eagledriver

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student

No doubt California is the best state in the US. I don't get why the Texans made their own thread. With a separate medical school application system they might as well be another country.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588635

California > Texas

Merry Christmas by the way
Having lived in both states, I can honestly it's not even a fair comparison. There's a reason it's the most populous state. California knows how to party.

Merry Xmas!

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i dont get why people say CA schools show no love for in-staters. most of the matriculants to the UCs are from CA :laugh:
The thing is that there are a lot more spots in the Texas schools than there are in the California Schools...plus, less people apply to the Texas Schools

CourageKid

Don't mind me
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The thing is that there are a lot more spots in the Texas schools than there are in the California Schools...plus, less people apply to the Texas Schools
Agreed. You will find many Texans that only apply to the public Texas schools and only look at AMCAS maybe for Baylor. It is my understanding that very few Californians can do the same with their public schools.

Because there is such an overlap in applicants between the Texas schools, the all Texas thread makes sense as a a place to share experiences as compared to separate, school-specific threads. It is also helpful because, in my opinion, the TMDSAS system (the Texas application system) makes me want to bang my head into a wall. So I find the thread an easy place to get advice.

Yes, I grew up in Texas. However, I am looking at schools all over the country, including California. I'm not arguing which state is better, but rather trying to give insight into the logistical reasons behind the Texas thread.

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
Who cares, we ain't cool states and lame states, big states and even bigger states, hipster states and cowboys states...Baby, we're the United States!

Last edited:

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
why did you apply to texas
Because he applied everywhere :p

Also, "The Republic of California" doesn't make any sense; I don't seem to recall California ever being its own country :D

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
:laugh: Well, then.

Lukkie said:
btw you watching the game? tim duncan is lighting it up in the 3rd. i hate the spurs but since TD is on my fantasy team i root for him :xf:
Please. I'm offended you even had to ask the question :) But yeah, it's also awesome seeing Shaq turn back the clock about 5 years and seeing him and Tim throw it down old school. Can't stand Shaq, but it's great seeing this matchup get so heated like it used to be.

About the Ads

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical
Please. I'm offended you even had to ask the question :) But yeah, it's also awesome seeing Shaq turn back the clock about 5 years and seeing him and Tim throw it down old school. Can't stand Shaq, but it's great seeing this matchup get so heated like it used to be.
this ones turning into a real nailbiter :eek:

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
yeah and i think tony parker just cussed out the ref in french :laugh:
I think I counted three straight missed by Amare. Suns are v. lucky to have the lead right now with 4.3 left...lets see how this goes down! Calling it now, Ginobili for 3!

Damnit, shoulda called Mason. at least I got the "for 3 part right"
Spurs do the Suns in again...no surprise there!

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I counted three straight missed by Amare. Suns are v. lucky to have the lead right now with 4.3 left...lets see how this goes down! Calling it now, Ginobili for 3!
right play, wrong player

pretty nice sequence though

oh well. time for the real game to begin :thumbup: go lakers

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hard to believe the main course could have a better ending than that!

Incidentally, Lukkie, how does a Lakers fan decide which team to root for when the Suns and Spurs play? Aren't they both hated in LA?

EDIT: P.S. Go Celtics :D Need to make up some ground on the Lakers; we'll worry about the Celtics if we make it to the finals.

BarberofSeville

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2007
Status
holy moly that spurs finish was sick!!!!

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for the lakers (reppin my hometown) but it seems like boston's on top of things this season, even more so than the lakers.

About the Ads

batman1983

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, UC med schools don't show much love to in-staters. I lived in Southern Cali for 24 out of 25 years of my life, but had to move out to Ohio last year for lack of med school love. At least Cincinnati is giving me a shot (still holding out hope for UC Irvine, but doesn't look good). Ohio schools accept a surprising number of Cali people...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
You have to do lots of research or be a URM to get some love from a UC. Yet, I was amazed by the number of CA people at my interviews at Cincinnati, Southwestern, and Vermont(and all of them are public schools). I also heard that 25% of GWU's student body is from CA.

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
holy moly that spurs finish was sick!!!!

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for the lakers (reppin my hometown) but it seems like boston's on top of things this season, even more so than the lakers.
Watching the Lake show right now!!!!!!!!

LA's transition D is horrible...it has been since the beginning of the season

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You have to do lots of research or be a URM to get some love from a UC. Yet, I was amazed by the number of CA people at my interviews at Cincinnati, Southwestern, and Vermont(and all of them are public schools). I also heard that 25% of GWU's student body is from CA.
Agreed...lots of out of state schools becoming more sympathetic to the plight of Cali applicants

TRN1983

MS1 - I.e. "Know nothing"
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yup, as of 2006 (before the meltdown started), California alone was in the top 10 largest economies of the world (I think 8th or 9th largest, can't remember). The state accounts for almost 15% of the entire U.S. GDP. Not bad. But now....
Used to be #5. But, it's gone down the crapper. It is a "has-been" state.

And, CA's economy is heavily dependent on the Union. It's Texas that is said to be capable of operating as an independent economy.

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

And, CA's economy is heavily dependent on the Union. It's Texas that is said to be capable of operating as an independent economy.
Yeah..those were the good ole days...before Gray Davis. Seriously, who names their son Gray?

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
I hate Pre-Meds!!!
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha, before Shaq went to the Suns, I would've agreed with this. But now, I will always root against a Shaq team, even if it means siding with the Spurs for one game.
and before i started betting a lot more $ on fantasy leagues than i did before i would have agreed with you too :laugh:

chessknt

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician

How is it heavily dependent on the union? Sure we import water and other stuff, but we do plenty of commerce on our own and pay for the resources we use to some extent. TX ports are completely useless compared to LA/SF.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Not a big fan of Lakers, but man am I glad that Celtics win streak was snapped. We don't want any team to approach the hallowed mark of 72-10 Bulls, do we?

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
Go lakers!!!!

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Can't believe that softie Gasol came up big for you guys...that would have been nice last June. Down with the celtics!
With Bynum, it gives Gasol a little bit more room down there. He definitely couldn't go at the Celtics frontline alone last year.

Celtics = :banana:

Lakers----->:diebanana:

About the Ads