The Republic of Texas Part VII - Chuck Norris Strikes Back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Already, you are fueling the fire for us Longhorns. :smuggrin:

Hey at least you actually WENT to school there, unlike half the so-called Longhorns in the nation. I can't tell you how tired I am of people telling me "Oh dude I've always been a huge Longhorn fan" when they go to other schools or haven't even gone to college. Lame. I want to ask them "Oh how long have you been an adoring fan? Since 2006?" I'm surprised not to have seen more Florida Gator shirts around here....

End rant.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you've read back to the older Texas threads, but starting a debate between the two schools is NOT something you want to do. I've been known to reach through the computer and rip people to shreds :) Plus it just isn't productive.

Good to know someone's got my back. So let's just end this pointless debate now, m'kay?

12-7

That is all. End of discussion.

How long after TMDSAS receives letters does it take for them to sent it to schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there Diana, it's early yet in the season and there are still plenty of interviews to go around. I saw a guy earlier on the waitlast get an interview, so maybe if you haven't that means they're considering accepting you? I don't know, but it looks like you've really taken care of business this time around as far as being early and everything, so don't worry! :luck:

-Sean

Thanks, Sean...it's just really hard not to get discouraged, I hate doing this all over again! I'm just so paranoid...:(

How long after TMDSAS receives letters does it take for them to sent it to schools?

My HPAC packet was received on 5/31 and I don't think schools received it from TMDSAS until 6/25, it's a slow process. I'd imagine it's the rate limiting step for this whole spiel.

My HPAC packet was received on 5/31 and I don't think schools received it from TMDSAS until 6/25, it's a slow process. I'd imagine it's the rate limiting step for this whole spiel.

Figures. That's why my advisor thought it wasn't important... Oh well, there was nothing I could do about it. Congratulations to all with their interviews. Good luck!

Has anyone who submitted after 6/13 had their app processed yet? This waiting is worse than wanting to get my MCAT score. And I finished all the secondaries I can right now! ARG!

those of you who have submitted or will be submitting the texas app.. did you guys complete both the optional essays?

those of you who have submitted or will be submitting the texas app.. did you guys complete both the optional essays?

I did only one simply because it answered both questions equally anyway. Do at least one, preferrably the second one, since it's much easier to write.

gee, we sure are lucky with the Texas secondaries being so brief

My Kentucky secondary has seven essays/short answers.

is this right? - for the texas app, you dont put descriptions of activities under the personal bio, you just lsit them with their dates, and then under chronology is where you put a description (even though there isnt much room at all?)

Members don't see this ad :)
is this right? - for the texas app, you dont put descriptions of activities under the personal bio, you just lsit them with their dates, and then under chronology is where you put a description (even though there isnt much room at all?)

That's what I did. No need for complete sentences, just list what it was and when you did it. Chronology is where I had most of my information about my activities as well. My personal bio page looks rather barren. :oops:

Returning to the optional essays, if we do one can it hurt us in anyway? I mean, if the things we write aren't too big of a deal, will the adcoms look down upon us actually writing something there?

Returning to the optional essays, if we do one can it hurt us in anyway? I mean, if the things we write aren't too big of a deal, will the adcoms look down upon us actually writing something there?

They need to be important to you. Just like any other essay, if it looks like you wrote it the night before, it works against you. I'm certain you have some meaningful experience or personal characteristic that you can "bring to a school", so just talk about that.

Gads...feeling guilty about this but I just finally submitted my secondary to UTSW. It's now officially out of my hands until I hear anything from these schools. Glad to have this part over and done with. Now for some restful :sleep:

Gads...feeling guilty about this but I just finally submitted my secondary to UTSW. It's now officially out of my hands until I hear anything from these schools. Glad to have this part over and done with. Now for some restful :sleep:

Yeah, I need to finish that one. Have finals this week then I'll submit it. Not to hard actually and it's FREEEEEE! :thumbup:

Yeah, I need to finish that one. Have finals this week then I'll submit it. Not to hard actually and it's FREEEEEE! :thumbup:

Not to shove it in your face at all, but I'm so glad I don't have school for the next year. I would be mega stressed and would be spending all my dang time working on med. school apps instead of studying.

Good luck with your finals.:luck:

if you plan on retaking the mcat and list in on your tmdsas application.. do they forward your application to schools and then forward your new score, or do they wait for your new score to forward your application to schools?

How do I check my TCOM status? I have no idea where the "portal" is, or if I have an ID....??

I called TMDSAS to see if my HP packet was in. It was not. I decided to go with two individual letters which I hand submitted today. Finally my application is complete. Unbelievable... So, I know TMDSAS won't send it until next Wednesday but how long do the LORs usually take to reach the schools?

One way you can save money on the interviews is to try to schedule them all together. I flew twice from my school in Ohio to Texas and drove around Texas between each school/interview. At least, it saves you airfare if you went to a college out-of-state.

Last year, during the TAMU interview, we had to drive from one campus to the other (about 1 hour and half away) and one girl that was following my car got into a car accident. I saw her car hit the side of the highway from my backview mirror. I seriously thought she was badly hurt because her car was totally destroyed. But, fortunately she was ok, and her car was rental (hope she paid insurance!) and she ended up in the Scott & White ER for the rest of the interview day.. Oh... so many great interview stories... Btw, the TAMU lunch is definetly the best!

Oh... so many great interview stories... Btw, the TAMU lunch is definetly the best!

A friend of mine had his MD/PhD interview at an unnamed Texas school, here's how it went:

Interviewer: "I didn't know I had to interview anyone today."
My Friend: "Haha, looks like you got stuck with me."
Interviewer: "Hmmm...I see that you're a biomedical science major. That's a pretty useless and pathetic major if you ask me. All it's good for is pre-professional stuff."
My Friend: "....."
Interviewer: "Yeah, last week we had to interview one of those under-represented's. She made a 21 on the MCAT. We of course have to accept her, but she'll probably flunk out."

yeah....

oh and as far as lunch, how are TCOM and UTMB's lunches?

Our school hasn't sent evaluations either, and they won't respond to questions asking when they're going to.

Yay.

Excuse my language, but that's pretty da*n lame on their part. They are screwing y'all over by not being prompt about it. Sorry to hear that man.

Btw, the TAMU lunch is definetly the best!

See I didn't think that. I'd have to say UTH because I had some sweet dessert. MMMMM I don't remember what it was but it was good because I remember being STUFFED. My TCOM one would have been the best if the menu the resteraunt gave them had been right (they take you to a real lunch!). And Tech had REALLY good chicken fried steak. A&M wasn't the worst but it wasn't the best either. mmmmmm food.

I don't remember UTMB's lunch very well because I was SO SICK!! I was shivering in my suit, even though it was Galveston in August.

Some a$$hats use being an interviewer as a major power trip. They know they have you by the short ones and can say anything they want. I had a guy really antagonize me during one of my PT interviews. It took all I had not to throw myself across the desk at him. (I had a quicker temper in my younger years:D) There is no way he would talk to me like that in public. In retrospect I think that's the way small people like to feel big. Thankfully, the other interviewer in the room knew this guy was being a jerk and I came off looking better.

I am fully prepared to encounter a similar situation in a med school interview, and I think it's a sound approach for others as well. Expect some of the worst and most uncomfortable questions from folks who may be jerks or have their own agenda. It's an opportunity for you to look even better despite their trap. You may not have a high likelihood of encountering a jerk in your interview, but it can't hurt to be prepared.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one PT2MD. I have no idea what to expect from those crazy interviewers. Just hopefully I'll be able to think on my feet and all will be well.

Here's a favorite:

Interviewer: "What's the difference between you and an a**hole?"
Interviewee: "This desk."

A friend of mine had his MD/PhD interview at an unnamed Texas school, here's how it went:

Interviewer: "Hmmm...I see that you're a biomedical science major. That's a pretty useless and pathetic major if you ask me. All it's good for is pre-professional stuff."
Interviewer: "Yeah, last week we had to interview one of those under-represented's. She made a 21 on the MCAT. We of course have to accept her, but she'll probably flunk out."

yeah....

o_O

I don't even want to comment. And well leave it at that.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one PT2MD. I have no idea what to expect from those crazy interviewers. Just hopefully I'll be able to think on my feet and all will be well.

Here's a favorite:

Interviewer: "What's the difference between you and an a**hole?"
Interviewee: "This desk."

Classic...:laugh:

So I submitted already with my previous MCAT scores, but am retaking the test on the 24th. Does this mean they are not even looking at my application and I am basically applying late? Also, do I have to personally submit my new score to TMDSAS, each school individually, or not at all? Thanks!

So I submitted already with my previous MCAT scores, but am retaking the test on the 24th. Does this mean they are not even looking at my application and I am basically applying late? Also, do I have to personally submit my new score to TMDSAS, each school individually, or not at all? Thanks!
you will have the option to release it to TMDSAS when you take the exam, or afterwards using AAMC's MCAT THx section, which should send it to TMDSAS who will update your file to all of the schools.

As to whether or not they wait for your new MCAT before verifying the application, I really don't know. Sorry.

Can anyone here help me proof my optional essay? It's the last thing I need to do before I can submit my application.

It's only 1900 characters :). I just want to see if I didn't take the essay in the wrong direction or if I could be more effective in what I said. Additionally, I make notorious grammar errors with commas and run-ons which I have trouble spotting.

yeah....

:laugh:

Do you really think it's funny? I'm not meaning to come across self-righteous, but the dude was being racist. I agree totally that someone with a 21 MCAT will probably have a hard time in medical school, but referring to someone as one of "those underrepresenteds" is a bit pushing it.

But to each his own.:cool:

:barf::wow:

AggieSean i dont know why one would put that story up about racism and not be bold enough to state the school. Are you trying to inform people of something everyone knows still takes place or are you trying to laugh at what took place in a weird way? However I wish you the best of luck but be careful that one doesn't think that MCAT score alone will makes you a good doctor.

i just submitted tmdsas secondaries!
does anyone not get a sigh of relief after they do that?
i def. feel more nervous now.:confused:

best of luck to all!

i just submitted tmdsas secondaries!
does anyone not get a sigh of relief after they do that?
i def. feel more nervous now.:confused:

best of luck to all!

No sigh of relief because now you'll need to do secondaries, then wait for interview invites.

AggieSean i dont know why one would put that story up about racism and not be bold enough to state the school. Are you trying to inform people of something everyone knows still takes place or are you trying to laugh at what took place in a weird way? However I wish you the best of luck but be careful that one doesn't think that MCAT score alone will makes you a good doctor.

Thanks for your insight. Also thanks for implying that I'm a coward. Of course MCAT score alone doesn't make you a good doctor. But you know what it does do? It provides a good indication of how you can handle and will perform in medical school (go read the AMCAS article). Someone who has scored a 21 on the MCAT might have the greatest personality in the world to be a doctor, but if that same person can't grasp the material required to become a doctor, then what good is that? Don't give me this p.c. crap about how "oh well I know one person who...", of course there are exceptions and anecdotes that inspire us all, but by and large that's what they are, exceptions.
And why do you care about the school name? What use is it? NONE. Thanks for playing, though. As far as laughing about it, did you not see one of my previous posts? You really ought to pay more attention instead of jumping to conclusions.

Do we have to add something to the essay for the Baylor secondary? Its just like the optional essay on TMDSAS, but it seems to be the whole substance of the secondary.

Who said we were playing a game? Well i see you took it personal, hmmm i wish students like you the best of luck b/c you cant take criticism and run with it. How are you going to handle medical school much less patients? Furthermore medical school if you ask many medical students, which you are not one yet, they will say the number one thing that allows people to succeed is work ethic. The material is not hard its just 10X more. So don't give me this crap about AMCAS these are the same type of people that say that if you get a 35 you get a 240 on USMLE which is not true by any stretch of the imagination b/c if it were so UTSW would have the highest board scores in texas but they dont.:cool::thumbdown:

Who said we were playing a game? Well i see you took it personal, hmmm i wish students like you the best of luck b/c you cant take criticism and run with it. How are you going to handle medical school much less patients? Furthermore medical school if you ask many medical students, which you are not one yet, they will say the number one thing that allows people to succeed is work ethic. The material is not hard its just 10X more. So don't give me this crap about AMCAS these are the same type of people that say that if you get a 35 you get a 240 on USMLE which is not true by any stretch of the imagination b/c if it were so UTSW would have the highest board scores in texas but they dont.:cool::thumbdown:

OK, folks, let's keep it civil. Several posts, including this one, could be read as a personal attacks, and those are best avoided. The phrase "students like you" is a strong indication that your post is going to be unacceptably personal.

People generally don't get called out to name particular schools or any other identifying information that they choose to keep private.

I suggest we move on with the secondary essay questions and the interview anecdotes and let this interchange die a quiet death.

I've heard that under-represented pre-meds are sought after because, statistically, it is these people that are more likely to serve underserved regions. Does anyone else have a better understanding/reasoning?

I've heard that under-represented pre-meds are sought after because, statistically, it is these people that are more likely to serve underserved regions. Does anyone else have a better understanding/reasoning?
that and minorities might prefer being treated by a physician who is also a minority.

Forget it.

Playmaker, I forgive you for being a meannie.

Let's drop this.

OK, folks, let's keep it civil. Several posts, including this one, could be read as a personal attacks, and those are best avoided. The phrase "students like you" is a strong indication that your post is going to be unacceptably personal.

People generally don't get called out to name particular schools or any other identifying information that they choose to keep private.

I suggest we move on with the secondary essay questions and the interview anecdotes and let this interchange die a quiet death.

Consider it dead then.

Oh goodness...I miss our old TX threads! :laugh: Tone down the rudeness!! :thumbup:

that and minorities might prefer being treated by a physician who is also a minority.

That actually is true. I took a "Race, Ethnicity, and Health" class and most people prefer to be treated by physicians of the same ethnicity. I have no idea how trustworthy the statistics were in that class though, but it does seem to make sense.