The Republic of Texas Part VII - Chuck Norris Strikes Back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, Applied/Incomplete, waiting for my LOR from Baylor.

my classmates say theirs has been sent, but mine hasn't. I wrote them the check to mail my LOR on May 1st, it hasn't been cashed yet :rolleyes:

You need to meet these people in person. This is ridiculous and you can't put up with it any longer. I'm still fuming mad at my own situation. Why the hell did I interview with the HP committee again? Oh that's right... to ensure my application is delayed by 2 months.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to meet these people in person. This is ridiculous and you can't put up with it any longer. I'm still fuming mad at my own situation. Why the hell did I interview with the HP committee again? Oh that's right... to ensure my application is delayed by 2 months.
the good thing is the other peoples' packets were received in the last week or two, so I must not be THAT far behind them.

I did send them an email last night and if I don't hear back by Tuesday I will stop by the office and bug them. I just hate bugging and confronting people.

at least we're not the only people having these problems. and I think you can still interview without LORs.

the good thing is the other peoples' packets were received in the last week or two, so I must not be THAT far behind them.

I did send them an email last night and if I don't hear back by Tuesday I will stop by the office and bug them. I just hate bugging and confronting people.

at least we're not the only people having these problems. and I think you can still interview without LORs.

That's a good plan. That's what I'm going to do about AMCAS LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what they are looking for in the first essay question on A&M's secondary app?

"Based on your experiences and contacts, what area(s) of medicine are you interested in pursuing?"

They don't give boxes to check off but areas to enter text. What are they wanting in these boxes that you dont explain in the essay below it?

Thanks for any help.

I seem to be getting paranoid. Probably a good thing.

On the secondaries, Tech and A&M want cert pages and checks, whereas UTSW and UNT do NOT. Correct?

I seem to be getting paranoid. Probably a good thing.

On the secondaries, Tech and A&M want cert pages and checks, whereas UTSW and UNT do NOT. Correct?

Yup!

is anyone having trouble with the a&m secondary. what are they looking for that question with the quote.

has anyone else submitted their tech secondary but it doesnt say that you did on the status page?

is anyone having trouble with the a&m secondary. what are they looking for that question with the quote.

has anyone else submitted their tech secondary but it doesnt say that you did on the status page?
my Tech secondary showed up as submitted as soon as they received my money.

I can't remember the A&M question and it won't let me view my application anymore. What's the question?

Secondary prompt: "According to Francis Weld Peabody (1881-1927), "one of the essential qualities of the clinician is interest in humanity, for the secret of the care of the patient is in caring for the patient." Discuss briefly your point of view of this statement"

Seems like there are a number of directions you could take that one...I would rate my essay somewhere between Michael Crichton and Son of Sam.

Hmmmmmm I really don't remember answering that question..

ah, I can view my application online.

I talked about how caring about patients ensures quality care, but caring too much can damage care.

Have you done any kind of service work where you had to get to know people/care about them in order to do a good job? If so, maybe give an example of that and then tie it into the quote and medicine.

thank you all for the help. i will try and tie my community service stuff into it.

i called tech to ask about my status. they said that they havent downloaded this last wednesday's batch of primaries, so therefore mine is not complete over there.
i also asked how many apps they have received, the lady said over 800 secondaries have been submitted :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question (yes, another one, sorry!). As my profile says, I didn't apply to Tech because my husband's asthma was awful the entire time we lived in West Texas, and I'm not putting him through that again. I'm also not applying to UTSW because I'm not interested in research, I don't think I have the stats, and I don't really want to go the whole uber-competitive route. I hadn't decided about Baylor...it's pretty competitive as well, yes? My stats:

GPA (overall and science): 3.87
MCAT 8PS 11VR 9 BS WO Total 28O
BS in Math, MPH
Lots of great professional jobs, ECs, research, internships, every shadowing/volunteering/doctor letter of reference that they ask for.

I'm also 33, married with four kids.

Does anybody have the inside scoop on Baylor? Is it worth my time, and do you think I would like it there if I were accepted? To give you an idea, I went to TCOM's open house and loved it. It's my first choice.

I just want to be sure that I have an answer if I don't apply there and I'm asked why. Thanks for any advice!

I have a question (yes, another one, sorry!). As my profile says, I didn't apply to Tech because my husband's asthma was awful the entire time we lived in West Texas, and I'm not putting him through that again. I'm also not applying to UTSW because I'm not interested in research, I don't think I have the stats, and I don't really want to go the whole uber-competitive route. I hadn't decided about Baylor...it's pretty competitive as well, yes? My stats:

BS in Math, MPH
Lots of great professional jobs, ECs, research, internships, every shadowing/volunteering/doctor letter of reference that they ask for.

Does anybody have the inside scoop on Baylor? Is it worth my time, and do you think I would like it there if I were accepted? To give you an idea, I went to TCOM's open house and loved it. It's my first choice.

I just want to be sure that I have an answer if I don't apply there and I'm asked why. Thanks for any advice!

I don't know how Baylor is with non-trads, but they are a BIG MCAT school. I think their avg. MCAT is even higher that UTSW (I know that for accepted Aggies it is for sure). So your MCAT could be a problem, but you'll never know unless you apply!

I submitted tech secondary in the beginning of june the 7th i think, and it STILL isint showing up. my check clearered the bank about two weeks ago so i called yesterday. The woman that answered said that they are super overwhelmed because they have over a thousand applicants when they normally only have around 300 at this point, plus the one woman who processes has been on vacation... they said they are working but its taking longer than usual... and she said my stuff (from june 7) was in a folder waiting to be processed, so your if probaly there too

BS in Math, MPH

From what you have said, I think you would be a good fit in SA. From talking to other students from previous cycles, they have a really high nontraditional student population. I think you are competitive for admission (although thats just speculation from previous scores) and the medical center in SA is in a good area for those with families (easy access from distance, not downtown in the city, not west texas.) I think Baylor is pretty rediculous to get into, but i dont want to be the one to tell you not to apply anywhere because I am by no means an expert. Good luck

Ack. I just spoke to a lady at TMDSAS, and she said they will probably send my MCAT score to the schools next week. It's the only thing I need for the file to be complete! I know it's only one week, but I was hoping to see a change in status (and maybe an interview) before the weekend just to give me hope.

Oh well...enough whining. Like everyone says, it's a marathon, not a sprint. On the down side, I found out this morning that I have to have my gallbladder removed, so at least I'll be busy thinking about something else. :rolleyes:

good luck with the surgery.
Thanks! At this point, I'm just so glad that they found something and I'm not crazy (at least, not about this :D ). I thought I was going to have to eat crackers and drink apple juice for the rest of my life! :barf:

And as a bonus, my surgeon said once I was feeling better that he wants me to shadow him during surgery. He's so great!

army bound, i alreadygot your feedback on this question, but i was womdering if anyone else had any input. For the UTSW secondary, on the first question, did you guys just literally list activities, or did you provide a brief explanation to help connect it to the particular interest? It seems like it would be better tha way

Hola amigos,
I'm getting ready to submit my app, and was wondering if on your TMDSAS essay you separated it into paragraphs or left it as one big chunk. Mine is running a little long, and the space wasted from making paragraphs won't help.

Hola amigos,
I'm getting ready to submit my app, and was wondering if on your TMDSAS essay you separated it into paragraphs or left it as one big chunk. Mine is running a little long, and the space wasted from making paragraphs won't help.
I'm sure the adcomms would appreciate the minor relief that comes with seeing a break in text.

Hola amigos,

my ps was also pretty long so I couldn't make breaks, so what I did was just indent using spaces. The spaces will show up since you can't really tab in. I hope that helps.

Hola amigos,

I really hated the line requirement because of that. All this time I was planning on 4960 characters only to discover that new lines bite into that number in a huge way. I had no room for spaces! ARG

Hey, I just got a job teaching an A&P course at a community college. I'll be teaching over 200 students two classes a week (lecture not lab). I accepted the job before I realized they are only paying $700 a month. I'm probably still gonna do it but does that seem really low to anyone? It's gonna be a lot of work (especially with grading...). Should I ask for more money or just keep my mouth shut?

Hey, I just got a job teaching an A&P course at a community college. I'll be teaching over 200 students two classes a week (lecture not lab). I accepted the job before I realized they are only paying $700 a month. I'm probably still gonna do it but does that seem really low to anyone? It's gonna be a lot of work (especially with grading...). Should I ask for more money or just keep my mouth shut?
actually that's pretty high for a CC.. around here, anyway, they pay $450-600.

BTW, how did the application/interview go? I'm looking to get a job teaching at a CC for next semester, I'm a little worried I'm not qualified for it and what not.

I've been teaching adjunct at University of Houston for nine years. I've avoided teaching at CC's because they tend to be tight wads. $700 per month sounds like a lot to me - you may want to double check. Often they will have you sign a contract listing what you will teach and for how much. Is that for only one course or will you be teaching multiple sections? Either way, congrats on the opportunity. You will learn more as a teacher than you ever did as a student.

Ok...I just read that you'll be teaching two classes. That sounds more like it.

I've been teaching adjunct at University of Houston for nine years. I've avoided teaching at CC's because they tend to be tight wads. $700 per month sounds like a lot to me - you may want to double check. Often they will have you sign a contract listing what you will teach and for how much. Is that for only one course or will you be teaching multiple sections? Either way, congrats on the opportunity. You will learn more as a teacher than you ever did as a student.

Ok...I just read that you'll be teaching two classes. That sounds more like it.

It's only one section. I got paid more for one section as a TA though. That's why I thought it was a little low. What courses did you teach? I could use some advice. I have so many ideas of how I want to run things but everyday I come up with a new strategy. What worked best for you?

army bound, i already got your feedback on this question, but i was wondering if anyone else had any input. For the UTSW secondary, on the first question, did you guys just literally list activities, or did you provide a brief explanation to help connect it to the particular interest? It seems like it would be better the way. A little explanation on how you guys modeled it would be great. Come on this is the Texas thread!

Thanks!

I just listed them because they were self-explanatory.

It's only one section. I got paid more for one section as a TA though. That's why I thought it was a little low. What courses did you teach? I could use some advice. I have so many ideas of how I want to run things but everyday I come up with a new strategy. What worked best for you?

I used to teach two courses. An undergraduate course in biomechanics / applied kinesiology and a graduate course in exercise and special populations. With my clinic schedule, I only teach the undergrad course now. I'd be happy to share any advice that would help. One thing you will appreciate is how tough it is to effectively manage a course. It may take a few semesters before you develop a comfort zone, but then you might already be in med school!

Does TMDSAS correct course work errors? I realized that I completely left out an English class. I sent them an e-mail, but the front page of their website states:

The Deans/Directors of Admission of all participating TMDSAS schools have approved the following policy change in the processing of applications. TMDSAS will no longer notify students about errors in Sections 6-11. Therefore, we will no longer re-open applications and allow applicants to correct these errors once the application has been submitted to TMDSAS. It is imperative that applicants proof their applications thoroughly BEFORE they submit it to TMDSAS. Below is a list of the errors that will no longer be corrected by TMDSAS:

* Answers that are cut-off at the end or margins of any text box or
essay in Sections 6-10
* Gaps in the chronology in Section 7

My error is in section 11, and it doesn't explicitly say that TMDSAS will not correct section 11 errors.

*sigh* Me and my damn errors

Does TMDSAS correct course work errors? I realized that I completely left out an English class. I sent them an e-mail, but the front page of their website states:

The Deans/Directors of Admission of all participating TMDSAS schools have approved the following policy change in the processing of applications. TMDSAS will no longer notify students about errors in Sections 6-11. Therefore, we will no longer re-open applications and allow applicants to correct these errors once the application has been submitted to TMDSAS. It is imperative that applicants proof their applications thoroughly BEFORE they submit it to TMDSAS. Below is a list of the errors that will no longer be corrected by TMDSAS:

* Answers that are cut-off at the end or margins of any text box or
essay in Sections 6-10
* Gaps in the chronology in Section 7

My error is in section 11, and it doesn't explicitly say that TMDSAS will not correct section 11 errors.

*sigh* Me and my damn errors

There are periods missing at the ends of two sentences in my personal statement for TMDSAS. And both sentences are paragraph enders, so they are very conspicuous. Lets here it folks, what errors are in your TMDSAS to make us feel like we're not the only ones.

For people who've already had their TMDSAS app sent to schools, could you list the date you submitted and the date it was processed please like the AMCAS thread? My paranoia is killing me! Also, anyone know when the update their website during the week?

I'll start.

Submitted, mailed stuff received, and processed:

Submitted and mailed stuff processed:
TheRealMD: 7/2, mailed stuff received 7/2 (personally went to their office, did it that day).

Submitted:

There are periods missing at the ends of two sentences in my personal statement for TMDSAS. And both sentences are paragraph enders, so they are very conspicuous. Lets here it folks, what errors are in your TMDSAS to make us feel like we're not the only ones.

That's no biggie. I was reading a published book today and I've found multiple typos like that. There were times the author forgot to space two words (e.g. thisthat) and put a period instead of a comma or in a place where it wasn't required at all.

So you're in good company.

Anyways, I got an e-mail back from TMDSAS stating:

This will be corrected in order of receipt, please be patient.

Poor folks. I went to their office the other day to turn in my payment, etc. They're absolutely swamped in mail and all the people working there look really tired.

I e-mailed their office about adding an activity and called them a few days later to follow up. The lady said corrections to applications are on the "lowest of the low on the totem pole" in terms of priority and that they'll be processed in the order received as soon as they get done verifying all the submitted applications (in other words, a very long time).

I e-mailed their office about adding an activity and called them a few days later to follow up. The lady said corrections to applications are on the "lowest of the low on the totem pole" in terms of priority and that they'll be processed in the order received as soon as they get done verifying all the submitted applications (in other words, a very long time).

At least they made the totem pole. I would have thought they'd be on the other side of the world in terms of importance. :p

I'll share with you a crappy story from last year. I decided after submitting my application in early September to add TCOM to my list. I sent an additional $10 and spoke with one of the folks there who told me "no problem". Instead of being verified four weeks after I submitted (which was already REALLY late to begin with), they bumped my verification back to October 25th - eight weeks after I submitted.

After being on SDN for a while now, I've learned how important it is getting your application in as early as possible. I've also learned that getting cute with changing your application has the potential to bite you in the arse. Lesson learned. If I've got a comma out of place, I will simply deal with it and hope the adcomm has the perspective NOT to freak out over the minutia of someone's application.

Ok, so I've just started on the UTSW secondary.

Here is the prompt for reference:

In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

(This text box will scroll and allow for numerous lines. However, please limit your answer to 500 words or less if possible.)

This is kind of a hard essay for me as I don't know how to take this. Do we talk about our ideal work-setting where we can make up healthcare policy? Or does it specifically want us to talk about one career (IM, surg, etc.) and describe in a setting that could feasibly exist right now?

I'm lost :confused:

I just got my Summer I grade in. I have to update my app and send *another* transcript for that semester?

I just got my Summer I grade in. I have to update my app and send *another* transcript for that semester?

I'm in the same situation. I believe we have to just mail a new transcript. That costs 10 bucks at A&M, poo

Ok, so I've just started on the UTSW secondary.

Here is the prompt for reference:

In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

(This text box will scroll and allow for numerous lines. However, please limit your answer to 500 words or less if possible.)

This is kind of a hard essay for me as I don't know how to take this. Do we talk about our ideal work-setting where we can make up healthcare policy? Or does it specifically want us to talk about one career (IM, surg, etc.) and describe in a setting that could feasibly exist right now?

I'm lost :confused:
Open to interpretation, I guess.

I wrote what kind of city I'd like to live in, type of medical institution, type of practice, type of specialty, type of patient, etc.

Of course it was all idealized but it was still my desire for the future.

Submitted 6/24
Certification received 6/29
Procesed & sent 7/11 (TODAY, yay!)

Question:
On the status page it has this
*Note: If you see [*Unofficial] in the [Relationship] field, then the evaluation letter was received but was not official. For example, the letter was not written on official letterhead or the letter was not signed by the evaluator. The letter will not be sent to the schools.

Does that literally mean if you see "*Unofficial" or does it mean anything with a * on it? My third letter shows *Extra Letter - just like that, and I don't know if it counts or not.

Congrats to all the Tech interviewees! My Tech app is FINALLY complete (as of today), so hopefully I'll hear something soon. TCOM interview is 2 weeks away! :scared:

Guess I'd better wrap up my secondaries. Still sucks with that May 31st 23 MCAT though.:(

Oh well, always next year if I don't get any responses since I re-take in April. I have some pretty strong EC's and interesting stories that I put in, so who knows.

Hi Everyone,
was it as hot everywhere in texas as it was here, houston-galveston area? my mom told me if i couldn't stand a day like this (i.e., if i was a wimp), i should just withdraw my applications. :p hehe

Anyway, so i hear a lot of people are going through the LOR saga. Not only is my school behind (i go to school outside of texas, so can't go and bug them right now), but i have some stand alones who have also disappeared--their letters haven't reached, they won't reply to emails. How frustrating. I'm not really sure what to do anymore, I think because TMDSAS moves so fast people not familiar with the process (read: people up north), just refuse to believe me when i say "please, please, please get them on the way!"

I called UTMB last week out of fear and frustration and the nice lady :) told me that applications are still considered for interviews w/out them, i.e, they don't wait on the letters before invitations are sent out. That was a relief, although my letters will really boost my app, i know it (once they get there). Is that the same for UH and UTSA, does anyone know?

Anyone use any good tips on getting a reply from people who assure me the LOR will be taken for ASAP...and its NOT?! ugh. I don't want to piss anyone off, but I wish they'd just send them out already. I'm not in trouble, am I? I got everything else in, and everything's been processed and sent out couple weeks back...but I haven't had any interview calls (and my stats are pretty decent) so now the paranoia goes into full swing.

Hope to see ya'll at an interview soon :) *fingers crossed*