The Republic of Texas Part VII - Chuck Norris Strikes Back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I needed some texan advice...I interviewed at UTH in October as an OOS student. I finally found out today that I am OFFICIALLY not on the alternate list...

UTH is by far my number one choice, but I don't know if I should reapply..

This year the average for UTH was 3.7, 31P. My numbers are 3.6/30 and I am an oos student. Things that I will have done during this year and the next:
-EMT B Certification
-Teached for Princeton Review (20 hrs/week)
-Shadowed for about 20 hours
-Will do an SMP in the coming academic year to improve my science GPA.

I just don't know if it is worth reapplying to UTH, the school I love. OR, just apply to an IS state school that interviewed at as well and reapply to them via EDP.

All I want is to be a physician, I have been in this process for four years now. I just love Houston so much, is it worth giving up on them for a possible better chance in Illinois as an EDP applicant?

Thanks everyone.

Also, I apologize, I know Im not a texan, but I thought you would have the best advice on this matter..

Thanks again

Well... I'd love for you to be in Houston too, but if you think that applying EDP to your state school will really give you a better shot, maybe that's what you should do. The goal in the end is to become a doctor. It's just 4 years. You could always apply to residency programs in Texas.

Good luck with whatever you finally decide to do. We'll all be cheering for you this year. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Has there been any movement with UTHSC-SA and/or TCOM? Anyone giving up their spot or something like that?

Has there been any movement with UTHSC-SA and/or TCOM? Anyone giving up their spot or something like that?

I thought a little back someone got off the list at UTHSCSA but that is all I have heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well... I'd love for you to be in Houston too, but if you think that applying EDP to your state school will really give you a better shot, maybe that's what you should do. The goal in the end is to become a doctor. It's just 4 years. You could always apply to residency programs in Texas.

Good luck with whatever you finally decide to do. We'll all be cheering for you this year. :)

Thanks for the advice anastasis :oops:

Email is preferred contact method by all schools I believe.

Hey everyone, I needed some texan advice...I interviewed at UTH in October as an OOS student. I finally found out today that I am OFFICIALLY not on the alternate list...

UTH is by far my number one choice, but I don't know if I should reapply..

This year the average for UTH was 3.7, 31P. My numbers are 3.6/30 and I am an oos student. Things that I will have done during this year and the next:
-EMT B Certification
-Teached for Princeton Review (20 hrs/week)
-Shadowed for about 20 hours
-Will do an SMP in the coming academic year to improve my science GPA.

I just don't know if it is worth reapplying to UTH, the school I love. OR, just apply to an IS state school that interviewed at as well and reapply to them via EDP.

All I want is to be a physician, I have been in this process for four years now. I just love Houston so much, is it worth giving up on them for a possible better chance in Illinois as an EDP applicant?

Thanks everyone.

Also, I apologize, I know Im not a texan, but I thought you would have the best advice on this matter..

Thanks again

Hey how did you getthose stats for UT-H this year? I know their last years avg was a 28 mcat and a 3.67 gpa.......thats a HUUUUGGGGEEEE jump!? Can anyone verify this?

Hey how did you getthose stats for UT-H this year? I know their last years avg was a 28 mcat and a 3.67 gpa.......thats a HUUUUGGGGEEEE jump!? Can anyone verify this?

It is on there website and when I called, I was told the new numbers for the class. It shouldn't be a surprise though..across the nation the averages are going up...:oops:

What are UT-Houston's average GPA and MCAT scores?

For the entering class of 2007, the average GPA was a 3.7 and the average MCAT score was a 31P

http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/administration/admissions/faq.html#three

wow they must have just updated their website bc I check it alot...you are not surprised by a 3 pt increase on the MCAT? Thats huge even for these standards....UTH is my top choice and my MCAT scores from this past April were a 29N...I was happy bc it was one pt above their avg last year but now its 2pts below this avg! Ahhhhhhhhh

wow they must have just updated their website bc I check it alot...you are not surprised by a 3 pt increase on the MCAT? Thats huge even for these standards....UTH is my top choice and my MCAT scores from this past April were a 29N...I was happy bc it was one pt above their avg last year but now its 2pts below this avg! Ahhhhhhhhh

Im not surprised because when I interviewed there, everyone seemed to be a gunner :laugh: But really, the jump is huge, but I think that will be reflective of all of Texas. Good luck!

FYI-UTH is amazing! It was by far the best interview experience I had and I loved everything about the school. I am sure you will too:luck:

So, sorry to ask another TMDSAS question, I've scoured their website and looked all over studentdoc, but couldn't find the answer:

Anyway, I noticed on my "Applicant Profile" thingy on the TMDSAS page that there is no place for pre-freshman grades in the GPA. I suppose it could be included in the "Overall GPA", but I'm guessing it isn't included in the undergraduate science, non-science, and overall GPA's? Just curious. If this is true, my GPA will be a lot higher than I thought (I had a 3.00 in high school from dual-credit courses). :cool:

Thanks, and sorry if I missed something,

Sean

So, sorry to ask another TMDSAS question, I've scoured their website and looked all over studentdoc, but couldn't find the answer:

Anyway, I noticed on my "Applicant Profile" thingy on the TMDSAS page that there is no place for pre-freshman grades in the GPA. I suppose it could be included in the "Overall GPA", but I'm guessing it isn't included in the undergraduate science, non-science, and overall GPA's? Just curious. If this is true, my GPA will be a lot higher than I thought (I had a 3.00 in high school from dual-credit courses). :cool:

Sean

well if those dual credit courses don't show up on a college transcript, you don't have to list it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, yourmom how are you doing? Did you end up getting off the TAMU wl? I am pulling for you man.

well if those dual credit courses don't show up on a college transcript, you don't have to list it.

they do. I had to list them as "AP" for "semester taken" on TMDSAS, and "PF" for classification. weird huh? they show up on a transcript and I received credit for them at A&M

Sean

AP stuff shows up in your freshman hours (I think, it only counts as credit), but doesn't do anything to your gpa. Your dual credit stuff from high school does go into your freshman GPA. Which stunk for me because I had a 3.5 from dual credit courses, and a higher GPA freshman year. But it all works out :)

AP stuff shows up in your freshman hours (I think, it only counts as credit), but doesn't do anything to your gpa. Your dual credit stuff from high school does go into your freshman GPA. Which stunk for me because I had a 3.5 from dual credit courses, and a higher GPA freshman year. But it all works out :)

Haha, I suppose I'll get the massive upward trend then. Whoop!

they do. I had to list them as "AP" for "semester taken" on TMDSAS, and "PF" for classification. weird huh? they show up on a transcript and I received credit for them at A&M

I'm guessing your at A&M, so is that how Karen told you to do them? My dual credit are down as whatever semester I took them, and then "Fr" as my classification. Only my AP classes are down as AP. You have to give them transcripts from ANY college you attended. AP credit is given by A&M, but any dual credit stuff has to be submitted separately because technically credit was given by where you took it, not by A&M. A&M just lets you transfer that credit.

I'm guessing your at A&M, so is that how Karen told you to do them? My dual credit are down as whatever semester I took them, and then "Fr" as my classification. Only my AP classes are down as AP. You have to give them transcripts from ANY college you attended. AP credit is given by A&M, but any dual credit stuff has to be submitted separately because technically credit was given by where you took it, not by A&M. A&M just lets you transfer that credit.

Yeah I'm at A&M. The thing is, I took these classes from a junior college in Weatherford when I was in high-school and when I went to put down that I had taken them in summer, it gave me an error and said "All courses listed as PF must be marked as "AP" for "semester taken." I didn't ask Karen what to do about this (they won't let us talk to her about app. stuff and I sort of don't trust the other people based on the bad/wrong advice I've heard them give others), but I listed this credit as taken at Weatherford College. Now, for strictly AP credit, I listed that at A&M b/c that was the only place that granted me all of it and that I used it.

Yeah I'm at A&M. The thing is, I took these classes from a junior college in Weatherford when I was in high-school and when I went to put down that I had taken them in summer, it gave me an error and said "All courses listed as PF must be marked as "AP" for "semester taken." I didn't ask Karen what to do about this (they won't let us talk to her about app. stuff and I sort of don't trust the other people based on the bad/wrong advice I've heard them give others), but I listed this credit as taken at Weatherford College. Now, for strictly AP credit, I listed that at A&M b/c that was the only place that granted me all of it and that I used it.

Yeah AP credit is A&M. I had to list dual credit stuff as FR and then just put it was whatever year. I guess it is because it was your freshman year at that institution. And with OPSA, I can tell you AhRa and Kynsie will both let you know the real deal. I'm friends with both of them. They've both gone through the app and have worked at OPSA for a LONG time. (I got the email from Karen about the app stuff)

But yeah, I entered it however Karen told me to and that is how I did it. Feel free to PM me if you want any more specifics. Not that you have to take my advice :) I'm only here as a resource :luck:

Feel free to PM me if you want any more specifics. Not that you have to take my advice :) I'm only here as a resource :luck:

Thanks for your help, fellow Ag! Yeah, Ahra is awesome! I went on a mission trip with her over spring break, and Kynsie for that matter. They have some new girl working there now, along with Kynsie.

:luck: at Houston!

and wish me :luck: for this cycle. MDApps comments are more than welcome, from anyone!

bump! I can't believe we made it to the 4th page! :eek:

TMDSAS application:
If you are reapplying, what have you done to strengthen your application?

What do i write for this? That i stayed in school for 1 more semester agonizing over the texas application cycle last year and have done absolutely nothing? (except for more research and diff rec letters)

Man, i'm in the same boat buddy. What do I say? I've been freaking out through the process. I got new LORs and did some more research as well but I guess I could get more clinical experience. The problem being if I want to get my applications in as early as possible, I can't really put down anything. How late can I submit the app without it being too late? I think applying late bit me in the butt last time so I want to avoid this as much as possible.

I am sorry to post this question here, but could someone tell me if an upper level Bio. course is qualified as "Biology lecture" on the scroll down menu in TMDSAS' coursework section???
Thank you so much for your help. I emailed TMDSAS and she told me to say where the course was taken and the name of the course.

But my question is whether an upper-level bio. course should be qualified as "biology"

Man, i'm in the same boat buddy. What do I say? I've been freaking out through the process. I got new LORs and did some more research as well but I guess I could get more clinical experience. The problem being if I want to get my applications in as early as possible, I can't really put down anything. How late can I submit the app without it being too late? I think applying late bit me in the butt last time so I want to avoid this as much as possible.

Your stats seem pretty strong to me. I had more than one admissions dean say gettnig the app in early is very important. I was verified later than you and it hurt me bad.

I am sorry to post this question here, but could someone tell me if an upper level Bio. course is qualified as "Biology lecture" on the scroll down menu in TMDSAS' coursework section???
Thank you so much for your help. I emailed TMDSAS and she told me to say where the course was taken and the name of the course.

But my question is whether an upper-level bio. course should be qualified as "biology"

yea i think any bio would fall under bio lecture. the upper level just means something beyond general bio.

TMDSAS application:
If you are reapplying, what have you done to strengthen your application?

What do i write for this? That i stayed in school for 1 more semester agonizing over the texas application cycle last year and have done absolutely nothing? (except for more research and diff rec letters)

i would talk about your research and the new experiences you have. maybe even your understanding of the medical field and how that has changed after being rejected. basically they're looking to see if you've actually made an effort or if you just bummed around waiting for a new app.

I made sure to talk about new grades, better understanding the application process & requirements, and the way that not getting accepted showed me how important this whole thing is to me

though it's a lot different for me since I waited 2 years, got a masters, started research, got new work experience, shadowed, etc since the last time

Hey guys does anyone know if AP Credit should be listed as Pre-Freshman in the record of college work? I couldn't find this on the help page. Thanks

hey guys! quick question about our friend, tmdsas

i'm filling out section 11 (record of college work)...i'll be studying abroad for my spring semester of senior year (spring '08). under tmdsas's "general intructions and guidelines" it says that i need to list every course attempted or plan to take at a U.S college or university. So, does this mean I should not fill out any courses for the university i will be attending abroad in this section, even though the uni is one of the schools i had to add under my academic background in section 3?

hope that made sense!

hey guys! quick question about our friend, tmdsas

i'm filling out section 11 (record of college work)...i'll be studying abroad for my spring semester of senior year (spring '08). under tmdsas's "general intructions and guidelines" it says that i need to list every course attempted or plan to take at a U.S college or university. So, does this mean I should not fill out any courses for the university i will be attending abroad in this section, even though the uni is one of the schools i had to add under my academic background in section 3?

hope that made sense!
you get credit for it at your US university, don't you?

Hey guys does anyone know if AP Credit should be listed as Pre-Freshman in the record of college work? I couldn't find this on the help page. Thanks

AP is Pre-Freshman. And dual credit you put as a freshman. (at least that is how I was told to do it)

you get credit for it at your US university, don't you?

yes, thanks for pointing that out. i just read that transfer credit should be included only if the us school granting the credit lists the specific courses and hours. tmdsas won't take the grade, it'll just be "cr"

Does anyone have information about secondary app fees for the various schools? I know TAMU's is $45, and I didn't see anything on the TCOM app to indicate a fee. Trying to calculate my budget (i.e., squeeze blood from a turnip).

Also (forgive me if this is a stupid question)...TCOM, Tech, TAMU, and UTSW are the only ones TMDSAS lists as having secondary apps. Do the others have something I just don't know about yet? I'm terrified I'll miss something. :eek:

In fact, I keep having crazy dreams...in one I made a 9 on the MCAT, and in another, I got into a very polite, lady-like disagreement with a woman from one of my community colleges. The result was that the college refused to EVER send my transcript, and I was barred from ever attending med school because of that college! That followed after reading a comment Anastasis made about community colleges and transcripts, so I blame her. :p

Does anyone have information about secondary app fees for the various schools? I know TAMU's is $45, and I didn't see anything on the TCOM app to indicate a fee. Trying to calculate my budget (i.e., squeeze blood from a turnip).

UTSW-no fee
TAMU-$45
TTech-$50
TCOM-i also couldn't find anything indicating a fee

Also (forgive me if this is a stupid question)...TCOM, Tech, TAMU, and UTSW are the only ones TMDSAS lists as having secondary apps. Do the others have something I just don't know about yet? I'm terrified I'll miss something. :eek:

In fact, I keep having crazy dreams...in one I made a 9 on the MCAT, and in another, I got into a very polite, lady-like disagreement with a woman from one of my community colleges. The result was that the college refused to EVER send my transcript, and I was barred from ever attending med school because of that college! That followed after reading a comment Anastasis made about community colleges and transcripts, so I blame her. :p
Hmmm last cycle UTH, UTMB, and UTSA didn't have secondaries.

ERage....you need to begin your petition for a Texas subforum again. And you should link all the different threads that have started with texas specific questions. MD and DO have different apps, and they have totally different forums, so the least they should do is give Texas a SUBforum. It is the least they can do to please the great Chuck

ERage....you need to begin your petition for a Texas subforum again. And you should link all the different threads that have started with texas specific questions. MD and DO have different apps, and they have totally different forums, so the least they should do is give Texas a SUBforum. It is the least they can do to please the great Chuck

wrd, it's tough sifting through SDN without finding at least 5 TX related threads amidst the rest of the fodder.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Rawr...I'm still waiting on one transcript and one letter. And I feel absolutely terrible for bugging this prof about my letter considering his mother passed away earlier this month and he had to fly to India several times amidst finals and such. :confused: But I leave for Greece in a week!! I hope I can get an internet connection on this cruise ship...

TMDSAS got everything but my HPAC packet today. Because it's a little early, will it still take them 3-4 weeks to process it all? Just curious.

-Sean

Should I include all of my activities, awars, etc. in the personal chronology with as much detail as in the personal biography?

Also, it seems a if TMDSAS wants me to enter my planned course work for the entire senior year. What would I have to do if I decide to change or remove any of these courses after submitting my application? What would be the effects on my application?