The Republic of Texas Part VII - Chuck Norris Strikes Back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do you write your research experiences though? There's no room to explain what you did...

Members don't see this ad.

How do you write your research experiences though? There's no room to explain what you did...
I wrote that simply the name of the professor and the department that it's in and the basic purpose of the lab. If they want more details on the projects they can interview me.

a friend of mine at Tech told me to get a hold of this lady Linda Prado regarding their MD/MBA program.

do any of you know her email address, or how Tech organizes their email addresses? at baylor it would be [email protected], but I imagine not all schools use this same format.

thanks

I don't know if you already found it or not, but here is her email address: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
someone mentioned that, but thank you.

do you know much about applying to the MD/MBA program? my friend told me the only additional requirements are a statement of purpose and an interview with the guy in charge of the program.

aren't most md/mba programs appliable after ms2 or ms3? i may be mistaken but regardless, md/mba will be quite a load, mad props

aren't most md/mba programs appliable after ms2 or ms3? i may be mistaken but regardless, md/mba will be quite a load, mad props
the way he's made it sound to me, the MBA is basically covered during the summers. and they give scholarships through the program.. he got $9,000 last year for it. business skills are always good in medicine, imo.

the way he's made it sound to me, the MBA is basically covered during the summers. and they give scholarships through the program.. he got $9,000 last year for it. business skills are always good in medicine, imo.

Business skills are VERY important!!!! As a doctor people will want you to buy into groups, you might want your own private practice, or you might just need a clue about business to help you understand how your group/hospital is being run. People at my dad's office were just teasing me that doctors get swindled a lot because they are science people not business people. So just knowing at least a little bit of business can help, if not more

Business skills are VERY important!!!! As a doctor people will want you to buy into groups, you might want your own private practice, or you might just need a clue about business to help you understand how your group/hospital is being run. People at my dad's office were just teasing me that doctors get swindled a lot because they are science people not business people. So just knowing at least a little bit of business can help, if not more
I agree. my girlfriend's dad is working his way up the chain at his hospital and he's even considering going back to get a MBA, even at 50 however many years old.

It would be nice to not only get trained while still young but get paid to do it. More people might want to look into MD/MBA programs :)

Question for anyone that has filled out the a&m secondary, in part C question 1 it asks what fields of medicine are you interested in pursuing: primary, rural, etc.

It just gives you boxes to fill in here, so do I just write "I am interested in ____" in the designated box and list why specifically in the bigger box that follows? I would have expected them to have something you could check off. I'm just confused with the format here.

Question for anyone that has filled out the a&m secondary, in part C question 1 it asks what fields of medicine are you interested in pursuing: primary, rural, etc.

It just gives you boxes to fill in here, so do I just write "I am interested in ____" in the designated box and list why specifically in the bigger box that follows? I would have expected them to have something you could check off. I'm just confused with the format here.
What do the instructions say?

I have a question about research. I worked for awhile in a biology lab in grad school...actually have "thesis" on my transcript for two semesters (1 spring, 1 summer). However, nothing came of it...no publishing, etc...and for me I just think of it as a horrible experience. I transferred into the program I was really waiting for (MPH) which did not begin until the fall, and that was the end of it. Later during my MPH, I did an internship with the state dept of health...did some statistics regarding colon cancers...again, no publishing. I didn't use my internship to write my capstone paper...I did a health policy paper instead involving governmental regulation of dietary supplements. I have absolutely no interest in research and will not apply to research heavy schools.

I want to just put "none" for the questions about research...I didn't publish, after all. Do you think I can do that, or will the two semesters of "thesis" on my transcript cause problems?

What do the instructions say?

"Specific areas

1. Based on your experiences and contacts, what area(s) of medicine are you interested in pursuing? Be as specific as possible after your choice(s)."

Primary Care
Rural Medicine
Specialized
. . etc

(After each listing theres a statement box that follows)

2. Highlight briefly your personal characteristics and experiences that are consistent with choice of interest(s) as shown above.

(3000 character statement box follows)

I want to just put "none" for the questions about research...I didn't publish, after all. Do you think I can do that, or will the two semesters of "thesis" on my transcript cause problems?

I think you should mention it because well, it can't hurt. During interviews when they inquire about papers/interest, you could probably explain that you didn't publish and that you learned that you are not interested in research.

Members don't see this ad :)
so if you're interested in primary care, in the small box below it you'd either say specifically what you're interested in ("Family practice") or you'd just leave it general ("Interested").

then in the larger box you'd say something like "Volunteered in a family practice clinic for 12 months."

That clears things up. Thanks for the help armybound! :thumbup:

I think you should mention it because well, it can't hurt. During interviews when they inquire about papers/interest, you could probably explain that you didn't publish and that you learned that you are not interested in research.

I agree. Research can be just you working in the lab, you don't have to be published. It really just gives them something to ask you about. I didn't do any, and they asked me about not doing any, so no matter what they'll ask you. Just put the basics, when they ask you say you did it, didn't enjoy it, etc. But be careful how you say you don't like it, because there is a very good chance you'll be interviewed by a PhD as one of your two interviewers at many of your interviews. (Somehow I certainly did! And I am NOT a research kinda girl!)

I agree. Research can be just you working in the lab, you don't have to be published. It really just gives them something to ask you about. I didn't do any, and they asked me about not doing any, so no matter what they'll ask you. Just put the basics, when they ask you say you did it, didn't enjoy it, etc. But be careful how you say you don't like it, because there is a very good chance you'll be interviewed by a PhD as one of your two interviewers at many of your interviews. (Somehow I certainly did! And I am NOT a research kinda girl!)
which raises the more general point of always having the attitude of "It's not my thing, but I'm glad other people enjoy doing it.."

you step on a lot fewer toes that way.

which raises the more general point of always having the attitude of "It's not my thing, but I'm glad other people enjoy doing it.."

you step on a lot fewer toes that way.
Oh yes, I absolutely think that research is essential and am very glad that there are people out there who come up with all the great science needed to make the world work. I won't have any trouble expressing my admiration for researchers; I just don't want to be one.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I think I was afraid that if I mentioned it, I would come across as a failure for not having "seen it through". But if it won't hurt to mention it, than I'll add it in.

I don't know if you already found it or not, but here is her email address: [email protected]

The MD/MBA programs at Texas Tech is completed in four years, just like your MD colleagues... but you will spend some additional time in class during MS1-2 summer break, I believe 1 extra class per semester during 1st year, and some sort of final project during 4th year. I did not partake in the program myself, but several of my classmates did. I think its a great opportunity to gain some business sense and I really do not think it was a huge extra burden...

Good Luck

I worked in a research lab as well but I put "None" in the research box. I did the technical stuff and helped the actual researchers with their projects. I didn't analyze any data or write any papers. Should I put that down in the reseach box?

Two questions boys and girls:

1) Has anyone used Interfolio to send his/her LOR's. If so did you just mail them to them by physical mail on the site or is there some electronic way. I have never used the system, kind of clueless.

2) Do I put non scientific research under research. I wrote a senior research thesis on ethics, does that apply?

Thanks, till next time!

Two questions boys and girls:

1) Has anyone used Interfolio to send his/her LOR's. If so did you just mail them to them by physical mail on the site or is there some electronic way. I have never used the system, kind of clueless.

2) Do I put non scientific research under research. I wrote a senior research thesis on ethics, does that apply?

Thanks, till next time!

Professors have options on sending your LOR to Interfolio. That information should be on the sheet that you gave them when you asked for your LOR.

Basically, there are 3 ways to send it: electronically, fax, and mail.

I'm filling out the UTSW secondary app..how "concise" should we list our experiences? Should I just list the experience and what I did, or add more details about what I learned..?

I'm filling out the UTSW secondary app..how "concise" should we list our experiences? Should I just list the experience and what I did, or add more details about what I learned..?
your choice. I kept them short and sweet.

my idea is always if they want to know more they can interview me.

thanks for the help! would anybody happen to know how I would classify a course if I received credit for it through SATII? Would it be considered CLEP or AP? thanks in advance..

I'm getting really annoyed with the a&m secondary and their essay topics. . . that and having to pay the secondary fee :mad:

I'm getting really annoyed with the a&m secondary and their essay topics. . . that and having to pay the secondary fee :mad:

Just go look at some of the amcas schools prices and you'll feel a lot better. I think a lot of the secondary stuff is just to get only people who actually consider going there and aren't just checking the box on all the TMDSAS schools. Which btw, if you don't apply to all, they can ask you why you didn't apply to them all.

Yes, you are all correct. TMDSAS is much much cheaper than AMCAS and believe me, I am very grateful to be a Texas resident. I just think the cost of higher education is ridiculous overall (I know, join the club).

Excuse my moment of weakness.

Yes, you are all correct. TMDSAS is much much cheaper than AMCAS and believe me, I am very grateful to be a Texas resident. I just think the cost of higher education is ridiculous overall (I know, join the club).

Excuse my moment of weakness.

Lol, the cost of applying for Texas schools is merely a drop of water in a bucket compared to med school costs in Texas vs. everywhere else. THAT's when you should be glad you live in Texas. :D

Should our secondary essays include an intro and conclusion, or do we just answer the prompt directly without adding additional "stuff?"

It depends due to the different essays. Some of them require longer character lengths and you can tell that these essays are probably more weighted over others. With those essays I tried to have an intro/conclusion and for the shorter essays I just did a quick response.

If anyone is curious, I was just milling around the UT Houston website and they have the new interview schedule up. The first day is Aug 24th, which I think is very interesing since it is MUCH later than the first interview last year (it was aug 2). You can find it here under Interview Schedule.

I should just pencil my name there on the calendar for them :)

Pick a day any day..... :) It will only be a little more than a month before they start notifying people about interviews!!!!

Dude, you applied super early and that increases your chances by a lot. Other than UTSW/Baylor, I don't think the other Texas schools are as number hungry. Keep the hope alive!

Okay, question on MCAT stuff:

1) So, I took the MCAT 2 times already, do I have to submit all of these scores or just select ones.

2)I am taking the MCAT a third time in July, should I submit via the THX my two test scores now or wait until I take my MCAT the third time and get my score back?

Thanks for all your help!

Okay, question on MCAT stuff:

1) So, I took the MCAT 2 times already, do I have to submit all of these scores or just select ones.

2)I am taking the MCAT a third time in July, should I submit via the THX my two test scores now or wait until I take my MCAT the third time and get my score back?

Thanks for all your help!

I think when you release scores (be sure to do that!) to TMDSAS it releases them all.

Also, I would go ahead and release your scores personally. When you get your new scores and update TMDSAS the schools will see it.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works with multiple MCAT tests.

How long were your secondary application responses for each of the Texas schools? How long should they be?

How long were your secondary application responses for each of the Texas schools? How long should they be?

Long enough to answer the question faithfully. Really now, unless you are going to spend months writing it (most won't), you should just try to put your best foot forward.

as one of my profs used to say, "like a skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to make it interesting"

as one of my profs used to say, "like a skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to make it interesting"
im from tx too, and my teacher in high school used to say that, and i've still got it memorized! i've always remembered that and it always works...good advice.

Hello my fellow Texans! I have a question about how to document a class I took a finite math class over the summer at a community college. The problem is that it was just a minimester (3 weeks i believe). So how do I list it under the semester/quarter hours classification? Thanks in advance.