The Republic of Texas Thread - Part III - Where the West begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catch Me if you Can II: The story of bodhisattva's fake acceptance to medical school

Members don't see this ad.

I seem to have dropped my head... its somewhere in the gutter does anyone see it anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well Texas is too, most of the schools are 95% or higher instate (or soemthing like that).

But they have more spots per applicant compared with Texas. You're talking more like a 40% chance compared with a 25% chance of being admitted. Oklahoma has like 3 million people and two medical schools (one allopathic and one osteopathic).

OK guys...a serious question...well, actually, a request:

When I'm all alone, down, and doubting my future at the foreign school (which is not far from TX, btw), will you guys still be my internet buds? I mean, I know you're gonna be on a different/better track than I, but I'm really gonna need a suport system. I really feel blessed to have found so many cool Texan pre-meds in one place. I wouldn't feel the same in a forum full of Yankees. :) Sorry Yanks, it's just a Republic of Texas thang!:smuggrin:

Omg.. you guys are funny.. how about Lord of Admissions: A fellowship of rejection

The same thing is happening in nursing school applications. The number of applicants turned away is staggering. California waitlists are THREE YEARS. One Texas school got 500 applications for 50 spots. Everyone accepted had a 4.0.

The economy has caught up to many of us.

Someone was telling me that it's pretty easy to get into nursing school in Oklahoma, which surprised me. It was impossible to get into in Oregon. I think it seemed actually harder than getting into med school.

When I'm all alone, down, and doubting my future at the foreign school (which is not far from TX, btw), will you guys still be my internet buds? I mean, I know you're gonna be on a different/better track than I, but I'm really gonna need a suport system. I really feel blessed to have found so many cool Texan pre-meds in one place. I wouldn't feel the same in a forum full of Yankees. :) Sorry Yanks, it's just a Republic of Texas thang!:smuggrin:

Why UAG over something like SGU or Ross? Im considering SGU and Ross right now, never looked in UAG.

Did u try DO schools? It will put u in a better position when it comes time for residency.

I'll be here for ya! I love the support here at SDN... at least it's keeping me from killing one of my sorority sisters... They can be like the best thing in the world, but sometimes they are the devil..

Someone was telling me that it's pretty easy to get into nursing school in Oklahoma, which surprised me. It was impossible to get into in Oregon. I think it seemed actually harder than getting into med school.

In some staes it's not so bad. In some cities/ areas in certain states its down right a knife fight.

In some states you need to have a 4.0 in all your preqs (taken in the last 5 years) and sit on a waitlist for two years for a clincial spot AFTER they finally decide to accept you.

Many nursing schools are going to a lottery system where they basically draw names from a huge bin of qualified applicants. Some schools will not touch you if you have to re-take a prereq for an A/

Yes, anyone in the US who really wants to get into nursing school can if they wait long enough or move, but it is getting harder and harder.

I pre-matched to Southwestern, but my friend was waiting on Southwestern for the match. She did not match anywhere, so she called Southwestern. They told her they did not participate in the match and that she and a lot of other people were not rejected that they are just waiting for seats to clear up and then they were going to start making offers again. So do not give up hope.

No way, no how...it can't be true. NOTHING is harder than getting into med school...in any state, at any time. I mean, look at the U.S. President. He became PRESIDENT, which should be the most difficult goal in the entire world to accomplish...but do you think he'd fare well enough on the MCAT, etc. to get into med school? NOTHING is harder than getting into med school!:D

Members don't see this ad :)

We could start a "Texas Medical Student" Thread in Allo if you guys want. I don't know much about the rules of Allo but it seems ontopic to me.

We could start a "Texas Medical Student" Thread in Allo if you guys want. I don't know much about the rules of Allo but it seems ontopic to me.

I think that is a great idea...I nominate you to start it Ana!

I pre-matched to Southwestern, but my friend was waiting on Southwestern for the match. She did not match anywhere, so she called Southwestern. They told her they did not participate in the match and that she and a lot of other people were not rejected that they are just waiting for seats to clear up and then they were going to start making offers again. So do not give up hope.

I am also waiting fo UTSW, but i think that the chances for their seats to clear up are hard unless they lose students to Baylor and OOS schools (which are prolly minimal). Also, in all the destruction that the match made, how many ppl do I have to compete with to get into UTSW?? Damn it, and i interviewed there at like late November too!

glad some of you are keeping a sense of humor about all this. Only 160 openings in the entire state? craziness... I met a ton of great applicants at the later UTSW interview days, and it's kind of sad most of those folks can't get in.

good luck with next cycle preparations, but keep in mind there's spring waitlist movement.

Catch Me if you Can II: The story of bodhisattva's fake acceptance to medical school

Kill TMDSAS III--My avater driving a convertible, staring steely into the camera saying, "I'm gonna kill TMDSAS."

I'm still holding a grudge. 16 hours and counting.

We've got your back. I'm going to be presumptuous and speak for every Texan on this board.

happy to report that my pediatric surgury mentor (who works for baylor) is going to take the time to look over my application and give me some advice :) hope it'll give me some ideas for this next year!

happy to report that my pediatric surgury mentor (who works for baylor) is going to take the time to look over my application and give me some advice :) hope it'll give me some ideas for this next year!

Diana, you were at the Summer Baylor Surgery Program which year? I did it last year too, unfortunately i no longer talk to my surgeon...

Why UAG over something like SGU or Ross? Im considering SGU and Ross right now, never looked in UAG.

Check out the residency appointments at SGU, they're pretty awesome.

Thanks for the love everyone! :love:

I didn't try DO schools (stupid, stupid) b/c, like many people on here, I was told that I would easily get into one of the MD programs in TX, which was my goal.

I actually think that I might really enjoy Guad. I chose it over the Carib. schools b/c of its close ties to the US (very good Residency match stats, as well as an attractive 5th Pathway program), b/c I'd be closer to TX, b/c I speak fluent Spanish, b/c the program offers a very early 'hands-on' approach to medicine, b/c I love what I have learned about the city (esp. the weather...OMG look up their yearlong weather trends!!), b/c I love Puerto Ricans/PR culture (a huge % of the students at Guad are from PR), b/c the city is cheap to live in and the country isn't too bad as long as you play it safe...I would have to stop going running at night, and perhaps find a group to run with, which I won't like, but oh well. Sorry, I'm rambling now...

Diana, you were at the Summer Baylor Surgery Program which year? I did it last year too, unfortunately i no longer talk to my surgeon...

Yeah, I did the summer of 2004. I actually had her write one of my letters...I'm pretty sure she's been or is on an admissions committee so hopefully she can give me some help.

Man, I really have to start previewing my posts better! Oh, the typos!! Sorry! I've fixed the ones in my earlier post, and I promise to be a better proofreader from now on. :p

glad some of you are keeping a sense of humor about all this. Only 160 openings in the entire state? craziness... I met a ton of great applicants at the later UTSW interview days, and it's kind of sad most of those folks can't get in.

good luck with next cycle preparations, but keep in mind there's spring waitlist movement.

Was it only 160 seats left over from all the TMDSAS schools or was it just from SW?

Thanks for the love everyone! :love:

I didn't try DO schools (stupid, stupid) b/c, like many people on here, I was told that I would easily get into one of the MD programs in TX, which was my goal.

I actually think that I might really enjoy Guad. I chose it over the Carib. schools b/c of its close ties to the US (very good Residency match stats, as well as an attractive 5th Pathway program), b/c I'd be closer to TX, b/c I speak fluent Spanish, b/c the program offers a very early 'hands-on' approach to medicine, b/c I love what I have learned about the city (esp. the weather...OMG look up their yearlong weather trends!!), b/c I love Puerto Ricans/PR culture (a huge % of the students at Guad are from PR), b/c the city is cheap to live in and the country isn't too bad as long as you play it safe...I would have to stop going running at night, and perhaps find a group to run with, which I won't like, but oh well. Sorry, I'm rambling now...

Oh, wow, I acutally looked into that school but I didn't think I could cut it with the Spanish enough to excel. I kind of toyed with the PR schools as well. I think you'll have a really great experience and you won't be put at a huge disadvantage because of the unique experience with international medicine you'll bring.

Was it only 160 seats left over from all the TMDSAS schools or was it just from SW?

almost 100% positive they meant total, as in the whole state (SA only had 33 spots left...)

almost 100% positive they meant total, as in the whole state (SA only had 33 spots left...)

Wow, that is seriously insane. Seriously, feels like the most unfair treatment for applicants.

:(

So I scanned my "Dear First Name of Student" letter, but it's too large to upload?

Anyway, just imagine a form letter printed on a white sheet of paper (that's right, no letterhead), starting off with, "Dear First Name of Student," and it's not even signed. :laugh:

I think there's a dean with a secretary who's quite the busy beaver, so busy she's tripping all over herself.

Hey Pitipitu, if you're willing to take another year, you shouldn't have any problem getting into one of the Puerto Rican schools. I considered this route early on, but I am not fluent in Spanish. Plus, maybe you'll have better luck in Texas. Just an idea. Best of luck!

Oh, wow, I acutally looked into that school but I didn't think I could cut it with the Spanish enough to excel. I kind of toyed with the PR schools as well. I think you'll have a really great experience and you won't be put at a huge disadvantage because of the unique experience with international medicine you'll bring.

Thanks Sprinkibrio! I think I'll do well there academically/socially, but I'm a bit worried about the Step exams. There are some SDN forums for Steps, and if they're 1/2 as awesome as the pre-allo forums, I think I'll be fine if I work hard. Also, since many of my fellow students will be in my exact same position, we should be able to help each other.

Honestly, my biggest problem will be HOMESICKNESS!! Seriously, I get SO depressed when I leave home for more than 10 days or so. It's like I'm enveloped in a debilitating black cloud that I can't get out of! ...which is one of the reasons why I wanted to stay in Texas. :(

I feel at home anywhere in Texas, although all of my family is in the Midwest (I've been here without them for 10 years). After just a few days of visiting my family up there, I miss my friends, my city, my food, my everything back home in TX!! It's so weird, but I never want to leave here.

Anyone have any ideas at all on how to get over homesickness QUICKLY? Please help if you do! :confused:

Thanks Sprinkibrio! I think I'll do well there academically/socially, but I'm a bit worried about the Step exams. There are some SDN forums for Steps, and if they're 1/2 as awesome as the pre-allo forums, I think I'll be fine if I work hard. Also, I since many of my fellow students will be in my exact same position, we should be able to help each other.

Honestly, my biggest problem will be HOMESICKNESS!! Seriously, I get SO depressed when I leave home for more than 10 days or so. It's like I'm enveloped in a debilitating black cloud that I can't get out of! ...which is one of the reasons why I wanted to stay in Texas. :(

I feel at home anywhere in Texas, although all of my family is in the Midwest (I've been here without them for 10 years). After just a few days of visiting my family up there, I miss my friends, my city, my food, my everything back home in TX!! It's so weird, but I never want to leave here.

Anyone have any ideas at all on how to get over homesickness QUICKLY? Please help if you do! :confused:

If you really believe you won't be happy leaving Texas, you should rethink your decision because if you're going to be homesick and depressed to the point that it's debilitating, it might negatively affect your performance in school. But if you feel that you can't wait another year, there are some shops that sell Texas memorabilia. You can fill your apartment with Texas stuff!

On other Texas news, a dog groomer accidentally cut off a dog's ear and then glued it back on in hopes that the owner would not notice. Now, think about it. Do you really want to leave us?

Sorry I don't post often, but I always read. I've got a question...I too, didn't match. I was offered 5 interviews in Texas, turned down A&M, received a prematch offer from TCOM, which I also turned down because I decided I only wanted to do MD. 4.0/27R from UT, and I plan to retake the MCAT. (I didn't retake it last year because I wouldn't graduate on time, and I decided to wing it). But this year I'm graduating in May (full courseload and a job). I want to retake a prep course, but there's no time before the April MCAT with my schedule. So prep courses starting in the summer = early August MCAT. I can have my application turned in really early, which I plan on, and I called TMDSAS and they said they'll process without an MCAT score, but it's up to the schools as to when they'll look at my application. I just don't want to set myself up for failure again by getting a late start. The computer based scores come out a lot earlier...and I'm thinking that it's better to have a better score a little late than a not so good one early. Thoughts?

BTW, Spinkibrio, you don't have to know ANY Spanish to get into UAG. They teach in English for the first 2 years, while you are learning Spanish (which I've heard everyone seems to accomplish by the 3rd year).

I can't remember if you are accepted anywhere or not, but it's not too late for UAG in August. They have rolling admissions and no definite timeline.

On other Texas news, a dog groomer accidentally cut off a dog's ear and then glued it back on in hopes that the owner would not notice. Now, think about it. Do you really want to leave us?

ROFLMNENO! :laugh:

If you really believe you won't be happy leaving Texas, you should rethink your decision because if you're going to be homesick and depressed to the point that it's debilitating, it might negatively affect your performance in school. But if you feel that you can't wait another year, there are some shops that sell Texas memorabilia. You can fill your apartment with Texas stuff!

LOL :laugh: OMG, that's so funny, but poor dog!! Yep, only in Texas! :smuggrin:

Wow, this is very promising. I hope it's true. I don't understand why UTSW would not participate in the match--that's ridiculous. Maybe they're just showing TMDSAS who's boss. In any case, if they start offering acceptances on a rolling basis again, it's time to start being optimistic...

so here's the deal with the waitlists:

UTSW: will come out in a couple of days?
UTH: ____ ?
UTMB: _________ ?
TT:
TAMU: Will call you if on list
UTSA: ?
TCOM: Will appear on your online application
Baylor: we aint finish yet.

fill in the blanks if you know the info please! does this need its own thread?

Sorry I don't post often, but I always read. I've got a question...I too, didn't match. I was offered 5 interviews in Texas, turned down A&M, received a prematch offer from TCOM, which I also turned down because I decided I only wanted to do MD. 4.0/27R from UT, and I plan to retake the MCAT. (I didn't retake it last year because I wouldn't graduate on time, and I decided to wing it). But this year I'm graduating in May (full courseload and a job). I want to retake a prep course, but there's no time before the April MCAT with my schedule. So prep courses starting in the summer = early August MCAT. I can have my application turned in really early, which I plan on, and I called TMDSAS and they said they'll process without an MCAT score, but it's up to the schools as to when they'll look at my application. I just don't want to set myself up for failure again by getting a late start. The computer based scores come out a lot earlier...and I'm thinking that it's better to have a better score a little late than a not so good one early. Thoughts?

I know this is on the border..... but if I've seen anything from this year Late=BAD!!!!!!!!!

But that's just my opinion. It seems like the stats have raised knowing what the avg gpa and mcat were for the accepted houston people, so in your case it is hard to tell.

Wow, this is very promising. I hope it's true. I don't understand why UTSW would not participate in the match--that's ridiculous. Maybe they're just showing TMDSAS who's boss. In any case, if they start offering acceptances on a rolling basis again, it's time to start being optimistic...

Hey, if SW didn't particpate in the match, then that's good news for all of us...or maybe I'm wrong. I mean, if some spots at SW were to get freed up, then could people who matched at other schools last night get into SW and drop their currrent match (thereby opening up some spots for us non-matchers)? Or would that go against some TMDSAS rule? Do they even have rules anymore?:rolleyes:

BTW, Spinkibrio, you don't have to know ANY Spanish to get into UAG. They teach in English for the first 2 years, while you are learning Spanish (which I've heard everyone seems to accomplish by the 3rd year).

I can't remember if you are accepted anywhere or not, but it's not too late for UAG in August. They have rolling admissions and no definite timeline.
You may want to stay in TX next year and work in a hospital while applying to TCOM and maybe OSU and other OOS DO schools. While I know you had it planned to go to med school at a certain time, what will matter in the long run is that you went to the best med school that you could get into. I don't want to say that UAG is a bad school, because it is not, but it's just that you don't want to limit yourself just to get to med school a year early.

so here's the deal with the waitlists:

UTSW: will come out in a couple of days?
UTH: ____ ?
UTMB: _________ ?
TT:
TAMU: Will call you if on list
UTSA: ?
TCOM: Will appear on your online application
Baylor: we aint finish yet.

fill in the blanks if you know the info please! does this need its own thread?

Just got a waitlist email from UTSW. No new offers were made in the Match.

WOWOW, I just received an e-mail from UT-Southwestern. I'll let you know what's up after I read it. It concerns yesterday's match...

Just got the same email from UTSW...at least I know I'm on one waitlist...

Just got the same email from UTSW...at least I know I'm on one waitlist...

Yea! Believe it or not, UTSW is the best waitlist to be on; it tends to have the most movement.

depends on what the next application cycle's rules are. Like will all the schools send out acceptances on the same day in november? if they say they'll start rolling admissions in like december....than there's a chance....but still very very very risky .

I know this is on the border..... but if I've seen anything from this year Late=BAD!!!!!!!!!

But that's just my opinion. It seems like the stats have raised knowing what the avg gpa and mcat were for the accepted houston people, so in your case it is hard to tell.

But the thing is, I checked, and the scores come out on September 5. Is that considered late if everything else is complete (and presumably, that is the date or very near that when my scores would be sent to schools)? Also, I have a score to show, albeit a slightly lower than average one, and by retaking the MCAT, all I'm doing is strengthening my application....assuming it's higher, which it should be, because I was making 30-31 on practice tests consistently. Seriously, unless I don't take a prep course (I literally can't work it into my schedule), the April MCAT really isn't an option for me. What do you think??

Status
Not open for further replies.