The Republic of Texas Thread - Part III - Where the West begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, Spinkibrio, you don't have to know ANY Spanish to get into UAG. They teach in English for the first 2 years, while you are learning Spanish (which I've heard everyone seems to accomplish by the 3rd year).

I can't remember if you are accepted anywhere or not, but it's not too late for UAG in August. They have rolling admissions and no definite timeline.

Wow, I think I do remember reading that now. My situation has changed though and it no longer seems like a good fit (distance with the boyfriend). I also had an experience in Puerto Rico recently that makes me never want to leave the mainland again (party personal reasons), but I won't get into that... lol! I did get in to UTSW and am so glad to be done with this extremely stressful process.

Members don't see this ad.

gotta say that at least UTSW's waitlist email was quite informative...and they got that out quickly..if it's any consolation

Members don't see this ad :)
It's good to know that last year they offered 401 acceptances and right now they're only at 265.

I'm wondering who all got the UTSW waitlist letter. Is it everyone who listed UTSW #1 and didn't match there?

It's good to know that last year they offered 401 acceptances and right now they're only at 265.

I'm wondering who all got the UTSW waitlist letter. Is it everyone who listed UTSW #1 and didn't match there?

I fit that description. :)

No, UTSW was my #2. And yes it is good to know...I sure hope we see movement like that!

anyone want to summarize this email to those of us that didn't interview at UTSW? Any pertinent info regarding the match in general?

depends on what the next application cycle's rules are. Like will all the schools send out acceptances on the same day in november? if they say they'll start rolling admissions in like december....than there's a chance....but still very very very risky .

So you're saying that I should just strengthen my application in different ways? Because it's obvious to me that it's one of my weaker points. But I did get 5 interviews, and supposedly everyone is on equal footing, numbers-wise, at interviews. And, any excuse not to retake that test will be very well received, but I just have a hard time with the fact that that score doesn't need to be improved...?

You may want to stay in TX next year and work in a hospital while applying to TCOM and maybe OSU and other OOS DO schools. While I know you had it planned to go to med school at a certain time, what will matter in the long run is that you went to the best med school that you could get into. I don't want to say that UAG is a bad school, because it is not, but it's just that you don't want to limit yourself just to get to med school a year early.

You're right, I could definitely do better than UAG, but I'm just afraid to roll the dice and lose again. :(

I've already worked in hospitals (direct-pt contact) for over 7 years, and I have shadowed 2 docs at private clinics (each long-term). Also, I'm already over 30.

The only thing I could improve upon would be my MCAT, which I don't have time for now (April is coming up too soon, and August is too late). I thought for sure that I would match this time (50-50 chance at least), but here I am with nothing. UAG is my only *certainty* now. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got the UTSW waitlist email. It was my #2 (I matched/prematched at my #4).

anyone want to summarize this email to those of us that didn't interview at UTSW? Any pertinent info regarding the match in general?

Nothing in general about the Match.

The numbers previously quoted. Yes, UTSW will make more offers as people withdraw, maybe in March, though they're currently a little oversubscribed. The waiting list hasn't been ordered yet, and we might tell you what segment you're in later. Don't send us anymore material - wait!

That's pretty much it.

Regarding the match in general, the only thing the letter somewhat addresses is the reason UTSW did not offer any acceptances through the match. The reason is that all 265 students that were offered pre-match acceptances to UTSW designated UTSW as #1.

How this relates to other schools is that they too probably had a lot of their pre-match accepted applicants designate the respective school #1. Because I'm guessing more people would elect to have UTSW as #1, as soon as some of these accepted students to other schools (such as myself wrt UTMB) get in off the waitlist (crossing fingers), this will free up spots at the other schools.

But the thing is, I checked, and the scores come out on September 5. Is that considered late if everything else is complete (and presumably, that is the date or very near that when my scores would be sent to schools)? Also, I have a score to show, albeit a slightly lower than average one, and by retaking the MCAT, all I'm doing is strengthening my application....assuming it's higher, which it should be, because I was making 30-31 on practice tests consistently. Seriously, unless I don't take a prep course (I literally can't work it into my schedule), the April MCAT really isn't an option for me. What do you think??

If this year is any indicator, I would say that Sept. might be on the late side. I would say do everything in your power to take the April MCAT (aren't there other dates now too since it's computer based?) In any case, by Sept, interview will have started and I'm guessing most schools will want to see an MCAT before interviewing. Even before the pre-match business, hasn't it been historically advantageous to take the April MCAT and get your app in before that wave of applicants? Any way good luck with whatever you decide.

So you're saying that I should just strengthen my application in different ways? Because it's obvious to me that it's one of my weaker points. But I did get 5 interviews, and supposedly everyone is on equal footing, numbers-wise, at interviews. And, any excuse not to retake that test will be very well received, but I just have a hard time with the fact that that score doesn't need to be improved...?

oh sorry, what i meant was if you decide to take the august mcat that *might* be okay if the rolling admissions starts later. but still risky. im impressed that you got 5 interviews with that score! (not that its bad, but you know the numbers on sdn....) ugh that must really suck not to match anywhere. but if the mcat is an area you know you can improve on, do it!

I got the UTSW waitlist letter, but I sent them a letter of withdrawl back in January. Weird?

I'll send them another letter. Hopefully that'll help someone out. Hang in there guys!

so here's the deal with the waitlists:

UTSW: will come out in a couple of days?
UTH: ____ ?
UTMB: _________ ?
TT:
TAMU: Will call you if on list
UTSA: ?
TCOM: Will appear on your online application
Baylor: we aint finish yet.

fill in the blanks if you know the info please! does this need its own thread?
how do you know what TAMU said? i called them and they said the waitlist has not been determined yet, and that they would send out letters in a few weeks after the committee meets.

I got the UTSW letter. Ranked it #1.

They didn't participate in the match. But it wasn't due to any of the reasons we debated before. I find that hilarious. It wasn't because they were cruel, or that they thought they were better than other schools. It was because other top schools are cruel! And not giving acceptances to UTSW acceptees! So they can't turn them down and free up spots!

ah utsw <3 <3 <3 i knew beneath that cold hard exterior beats the heart of a warm caring big buxomed med school

i did not get the waitlist email from UTSW...I guess this means I should expect a rejection soon

how do you know what TAMU said? i called them and they said the waitlist has not been determined yet, and that they would send out letters in a few weeks after the committee meets.

whoops sorry i was just trying to put all the info together. i thought i read someone say something about tamu calling them back with details if they are on the list. im a little off at the moment so forgive me :oops:

EDIT:

so it should be..

UTSW: sent an email if on waitlist
UTH: ____ ?
UTMB: _________ ?
TT:
TAMU: letters will be sent in a couple of weeks after committee meets
UTSA: ?
TCOM: Will appear on your online application
Baylor: we aint finish yet.

fill in the blanks if you know the info please! does this need its own thread?

If it is at all feasible I would quit your job, buy the books and practice problems from Kaplan, and skip the classes to study for an early summer MCAT (you might have to pay for the full class) to get your scores by August. As a former teacher, I can tell you that the only thing the classes are good for are motivation and I feel like you have quite enough motivation after this application round. That would free up more time for personal study and you should get a lot out of the practice tests and books. Plan on doing something interesting this summer after the test is over as well.

I wouldn't recommend taking the August MCAT for a few reasons... If a school interviews you before they get your score, you will have nothing to say about how you've improved your application. No summer activites (because you were studying) and no tangible evidence of an improved score. That might not lead to a strong interview. If you get interviewed after your MCAT comes out you might be cutting it close. I don't know about the new electronic system and score reporting, but I wouldn't want to cut it close. I think the goal here is to interview before November, although rumor is that next year the process is changing, so you never know. Good luck with your decision! I have a lot of confidence that if you go to every interview offered and apply out of state you will be successful!

oh sorry, what i meant was if you decide to take the august mcat that *might* be okay if the rolling admissions starts later. but still risky. im impressed that you got 5 interviews with that score! (not that its bad, but you know the numbers on sdn....) ugh that must really suck not to match anywhere. but if the mcat is an area you know you can improve on, do it!

I just think it's bad to not even try to attempt to raise my score when it's not good. I feel like it's a black mark on my application, and as a reapplicant, it needs to be changed/or at least an attempt for it. But I can't figure out the dynamic between that and time, or which one is more important. Help...

Off topic, I know...but when am I ever on topic?

The story about the dog ear is true!:eek:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252241,00.html

(And no, I'm not a Fox News lover...it's just all that Google coughed up.)

Edit: Eewwww, I just saw the part about the ear floating away!

It was a Washington story? I thought it was Texas because I saw it on the local news. Well, we can make up for it with our crazy astronaut love triangle. And we're the home of Anna Nicole.

I just think it's bad to not even try to attempt to raise my score when it's not good. I feel like it's a black mark on my application, and as a reapplicant, it needs to be changed/or at least an attempt for it. But I can't figure out the dynamic between that and time, or which one is more important. Help...

I think you need to contact the schools that rejected you and ask them why they rejected you. Sometimes the dean of admissions will talk to you personally. And then you can go from there and figure out what you need to do to improve.

I heard today from a reliable source that Baylor still has a third of its class to fill. Nice to hear, but I am still planning on reapplying next cycle.

If it is at all feasible I would quit your job, buy the books and practice problems from Kaplan, and skip the classes to study for an early summer MCAT (you might have to pay for the full class) to get your scores by August. As a former teacher, I can tell you that the only thing the classes are good for are motivation and I feel like you have quite enough motivation after this application round. That would free up more time for personal study and you should get a lot out of the practice tests and books. Plan on doing something interesting this summer after the test is over as well.

I wouldn't recommend taking the August MCAT for a few reasons... If a school interviews you before they get your score, you will have nothing to say about how you've improved your application. No summer activites (because you were studying) and no tangible evidence of an improved score. That might not lead to a strong interview. If you get interviewed after your MCAT comes out you might be cutting it close. I don't know about the new electronic system and score reporting, but I wouldn't want to cut it close. I think the goal here is to interview before November, although rumor is that next year the process is changing, so you never know. Good luck with your decision! I have a lot of confidence that if you go to every interview offered and apply out of state you will be successful!

Thanks for the advice. I took Kaplan last year and already have the books. But I liked the structure of the practice tests, etc, etc. Also, my job is as an assistant TA, which they (interviewers) made a really big deal about "we need to know if you have any conflicts with this coming up...it's a pain in the ass to get a replacement..." Plus, that job is a really good leadership experience for me. Also, I think I'm going to try to do some more clinical stuff (volunteering..) maybe 1/2 way through the semester, which I think my application is slightly lacking in. I just don't think I have time to prep for that test right now...I'm having a hard time keeping up with what's on plate. Any more advice from anyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

gotta say that at least UTSW's waitlist email was quite informative...and they got that out quickly..if it's any consolation

As irritated as I've been with the process even though it went well for me... I really feel like UTSW laid it out there in their email and was really quite honest. No fluffy feel good crap, just the facts. Seeing how many people on here wanted UTSW, and if their spots open up, hopefully other spots will open up for other people.

Overall, I'm just glad a school was up front with us about what's going on.

I think you need to contact the schools that rejected you and ask them why they rejected you. Sometimes the dean of admissions will talk to you personally. And then you can go from there and figure out what you need to do to improve.

I'm definitely doing that. I think I just need to wait for some of the outrage over this process to die down.

The UTSW news bodes well for you guys! Grats! Maybe this is a sigh of other schools as well, they weren't sure what to do so they did not participate in the match or did so VERY conservatively...

Thanks for the advice. I took Kaplan last year and already have the books. But I liked the structure of the practice tests, etc, etc. Also, my job is as an assistant TA, which they (interviewers) made a really big deal about "we need to know if you have any conflicts with this coming up...it's a pain in the ass to get a replacement..." Plus, that job is a really good leadership experience for me. Also, I think I'm going to try to do some more clinical stuff (volunteering..) maybe 1/2 way through the semester, which I think my application is slightly lacking in. I just don't think I have time to prep for that test right now...I'm having a hard time keeping up with what's on plate. Any more advice from anyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

It sounds like you're doing the right thing then! Although, I would err on the side of taking it earlier. I don't feel like I needed the whole time to prepare. I studied for about a month and a half and after that never felt more prepared (and never upped my score) although I continued to study and practice. Good luck with everything :)

Many nursing schools are going to a lottery system where they basically draw names from a huge bin of qualified applicants. Some schools will not touch you if you have to re-take a prereq for an A/

Yep, that's what they did at Portland Community College. It was a pure lottery with no consideration for merit. It seems frustrating to have your fate depend solely on whether or not you get the right number on your application. Hey, though, med school apps feel like that sometimes, too. :)

It was a Washington story? I thought it was Texas because I saw it on the local news. Well, we can make up for it with our crazy astronaut love triangle. And we're the home of Anna Nicole.

But we're also the home of the Dixie Chicks and Beyonce...some good stuff comes outta the Lonestar State too!:)

Did anyone who interviewed at UTSW not get the waitlist e-mail? jw

Also, how many ppl do you reckon (that is right, I said "reckon") are on the waiting list?

I heard today from a reliable source that Baylor still has a third of its class to fill. Nice to hear, but I am still planning on reapplying next cycle.

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

I'm going to send a letter of withdrawal from the waitlist to UTSW. At least that'll free up some space there whenever it starts moving. That was a nice email though.

But we're also the home of the Dixie Chicks and Beyonce...some good stuff comes outta the Lonestar State too!:)

We also can't forget chicken fried steak even though I have never eaten chicken fried steak.

We definitely have the biggest list of pissed-off med school rejects, dat's fo sho' !! :D

Hell hath no fury like a Texan scorned. :smuggrin:

We also can't forget chicken fried steak even though I have never eaten chicken fried steak.

Hell hath no fury like a Texan scorned. :smuggrin:

Yesssss!! Chicken fried steak is the best! I used to eat it at Denny's in the Midwest, but funny, I never eat it here in TX.

Again, totally off-topic, but about Texan musicians...I once heard a guy on the radio or TV (can't remember which) get mixed up and say, "Dixie's Child and Destinty Chicks!" :laugh: It's not really that funny, but for some reason, I laughed for a long time.

i received an email regarding WL from UTSW as well :love:
at least there's some glimpse of hope wink wink
so i'm still wondering if the emails were sent to everyone they've interviewed.
nehow gotta keep on praying...
we can do this guys!

i did not get the waitlist email from UTSW...I guess this means I should expect a rejection soon

hmm i'm wondering if they are sending the email all at once...or maybe sending it at different time for some...

i received an email regarding WL from UTSW as well :love:
at least there's some glimpse of hope wink wink
so i'm still wondering if the emails were sent to everyone they've interviewed.
nehow gotta keep on praying...
we can do this guys!

no i'm pretty sure someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they didn't receive one....could be wrong?

I hope Meredith dies.

Hey admins when you close this thread I just request that you use one of the titles we came up with.

The walker texas ranger one or maybe the one on empire strikes back? or the tuck fexas one, that caused several members to enter their own little fantasies

Status
Not open for further replies.