The Republic of Texas Thread - Part IV - Don't Mess with Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Continue to spread the Texas love here :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe UT-Houston is already filled :(

Actually overfilled by 7 by the looks of it

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats so great about Texas?

I'm a new yorker.

texas LOVE!??? Part 3 was like 700 posts of texas hate!

Whats so great about Texas?

I'm a new yorker.

You wouldn't understand. ;) It's a matter of national security, we cannot reveal such sensitive information on a public forum.

Yes, but only a Texan has the right to bitch about Texas. Kinda like a big brother can beat up a little brother, but if anyone else lays a hand on them... it's beat down time.

man why did i click on that link to information for the new UTH class...im jeluz. :cool:

Yes, but only a Texan has the right to bitch about Texas. Kinda like a big brother can beat up a little brother, but if anyone else lays a hand on them... it's beat down time.

That is indeed the best way to describe it. And I have a little brother, so I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
why did that thread get locked?

i wonder how they'll be made accountable for this huge blunder. or if they'll sweep us under the rug.

and agreed on the TX = best comments. i cannot imagine a better place to live.

Any thread over 1000 posts gets locked to "improve forumn speed" or something like that.

interesting. Also, why has my post count gone down, I used to have about 700?

Can someone explain what all this "match" nonsense that Texas schools are doing this year is about? Why don't they do normal admissions? It seems like alot of people got screwed...

i wonder how they'll be made accountable for this huge blunder. or if they'll sweep us under the rug.

Is the blunder that they didn't leave enough room for the match? Would it have mattered if there was room left. I mean would the people accepted have been a whole lot different?

Can someone explain what all this "match" nonsense that Texas schools are doing this year is about? Why don't they do normal admissions? It seems like alot of people got screwed...

They aren't just doing it this year, it's the way it's always been. Except this year they decided to try a rolling admissions process, but still keep the match to fill out the spots remaining after pre-match admissions had been handed out. Unfortunately, most schools filled up pre-match and there weren't many spots left for the match, leaving many people who were hanging on it extremely disappointed.

The match, by the way, it's kind of like the residency match system. You interview at schools that invite you, then you rank them, and on a certain date you are "matched" with only 1 school from your list. You may get your #1 or you may not, but you get only 1 school.

On past years, it was only match (no rolling admissions for anyone), so everyone in TX found out on Feb. 1st of every year.

Is the blunder that they didn't leave enough room for the match? Would it have mattered if there was room left. I mean would the people accepted have been a whole lot different?

The thing is that it appears that ppl went to interviews for no available spots...for like over a month, yet they were ASSURED that there were plenty of spots open.

Yes.

They aren't just doing it this year, it's the way it's always been. Except this year they decided to try a rolling admissions process, but still keep the match to fill out the spots remaining after pre-match admissions had been handed out. Unfortunately, most schools filled up pre-match and there weren't many spots left for the match, leaving many people who were hanging on it extremely disappointed.

The match, by the way, it's kind of like the residency match system. You interview at schools that invite you, then you rank them, and on a certain date you are "matched" with only 1 school from your list. You may get your #1 or you may not, but you get only 1 school.

On past years, it was only match (no rolling admissions for anyone), so everyone in TX found out on Feb. 1st of every year.

so TX schools are done giving out acceptances (other than waitlist movement)?

The thing is that it appears that ppl went to interviews for no available spots...for like over a month.

So basically people just feel misled or lied to?

Just out of curiosity, hasn’t it always been advantageous to apply early, even before this pre-match business? Can this all be chalked up to a dramatic increase in applicants for too few spots?

The thing is that it appears that ppl went to interviews for no available spots...for like over a month.

Yup... my only complaint!

Me said:
My biggest gripe is that they still offered interviews after Nov, saying that there were spots open... thru the match or pre-match, either way. BUT (for example), looking at the acceptances thread, I can't find a single person who got a UTSW acceptance after invterviewing in Dec NOR someone who matched and got in. Granted this is solely based on SDN postings, so it's not perfectly mirrored to all applicants, but I'd think at least 1 example would have showed up.....?

So basically people just feel misled or lied to?

Just out of curiosity, hasn't it always been advantageous to apply early, even before this pre-match business? Can this all be chalked up to a dramatic increase in applicants for too few spots?

I applied in early summer. They offered me an interview in Dec. for Jan.

No waitlist for all schools...UTH is full, remember?

Well, I didn't know that. Isn't it still possible some people will choose another school OOS over UTH?

Yeah, that was wrong. They should just have sent out a mass email when they discovered the problem. I've been waiting on two schools in texas, when I could have been preparing for out of state because I thought I had a shot in state.

Well, I didn't know that. Isn't it still possible some people will choose another school OOS over UTH?

I dunno...I thought that the list was of pre-match offers that were accepted (done deals). I don't know if they can change their minds and go OOS. I guess they could.

or not even bothered to go to the interview had a known that they had no more offers to give and a slim to none chance of getting off of a tx WL

Yeah, that was wrong. They should just have sent out a mass email when they discovered the problem. I've been waiting on two schools in texas, when I could have been preparing for out of state because I thought I had a shot in state.

I agree. This messed up a lot of application strategy. People could have been writing stronger letters to other schools.

no there has to be a waitlist... all be it a rather looong impossible to get off waitlist but one exists.

btw are there any reapplicant statistics available from TMDSASSS??

I now wish I didn't write such a strong letter of Intent to Houston :( I could have sent it to another school

As I posted in part 4, I don't think UT-Houston is done. That list is the list of people who accepted Houston's pre-match offers (I'm not sure about match offers). I have several friends on that list who since accepting Houston's offers (back in Oct and Nov) have gotten into OOS state schools where I know they will be going. Either they haven't officially withdrawn from UT-H or UT-H hasn't updated this list. I also have friends who have accepted Houston, but are still waiting to hear from Baylor. They have told me that if they get into Baylor, they will be going to there instead of Houston.

So basically this # of available seats for UT-Houston should open up with regards to the list posted by Anastasis.

Hope this helps.

Some of the old school incredibly MASSIVE threads were deleted to make the server run better. I dropped down to a measley 2k for awhile :smuggrin:

dang, how do you post that much?

I dunno...I thought that the list was of pre-match offers that were accepted (done deals). I don't know if they can change their minds and go OOS. I guess they could.

Well, Texas know that OOS schools offer acceptances for several months after Texas match is over so they know they could still loose people. It's not set in stone. Not for another several months. What would they do if I decided to go OOS? Chain me to their anatomy lab?

As I posted in part 4, I don't think UT-Houston is done. That list is the list of people who accepted Houston's pre-match offers (I'm not sure about match offers). I have several friends on that list who since accepting Houston's offers (back in Oct and Nov) have gotten into OOS state schools where I know they will be going. Either they haven't officially withdrawn from UT-H or UT-H hasn't updated this list. I also have friends who have accepted Houston, but are still waiting to hear from Baylor. They have told me that if they get into Baylor, they will be going to there instead of Houston.

So basically this # of available seats for UT-Houston should open up with regards to the list posted by Anastasis.

Hope this helps.

You, my friend are the only ounce of hope I have left

Status
Not open for further replies.