The Republic of Texas Thread - Part IV - Don't Mess with Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, in all fairness, technically the only school that seriously misled people was Houston with that fairy email.

but yes it is frustrating that there were no slots for the match.

from what i gather i agree...but i would also mention that i am sure they did not do it on purpose...i think they seriously thought fewer people would hold on to their prematch acceptances

Members don't see this ad.

well, in all fairness, technically the only school that seriously misled people was Houston with that fairy email.

but yes it is frustrating that there were no slots for the match.

word... during my utmb interview dr. rabek strait up told me that they are going to fill all their seats with the prematch...

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i gather i agree...but i would also mention that i am sure they did not do it on purpose...i think they seriously thought fewer people would hold on to their prematch acceptances

I dont completely agree with that... something is just shady about the whole process. For example, if UTSW had a strong intention to match people in February, i dont think they would have overextended themselves by 40 seats pre-match. I mean come on...

UTH is going to mail waitlist info in march

Anyone knows how UTMB, TTech, and TCOM handling the waitlist (snmail, email, ranked, unranked, etc.). I think someone said chck the website for TCOM, but I'm not sure.

TCOM waitlist status is available online; they're also snailmailing waitlist info. But I don't know if they draw from the list in order or if it's pooled.

I dont completely agree with that... something is just shady about the whole process. For example, if UTSW had a strong intention to match people in February, i dont think they would have overextended themselves by 40 seats pre-match. I mean come on...

I don't think UTSW had a strong intention to. They mention the match nowhere on its website. They only mentioned it briefly on interview day.

Hmm... the Texas med schools are all like guys. They either fall in love with you right away and all is fine and dandy or they string you along, fueling you with just enough to keep f***ing you until you demand to know if they really dig you and like p****ies they end up waiting until the last minute to reject you instead of making it obvious all along.

Hows that? I'm not bitter... :rolleyes:

I think that's the most accurate argument for saying medical schools are more like men than women! :laugh:

i am sending a LOI to UTH. Two questions:
1. do you think i should send it to the dean of admissions or just to the adcom? I jsut want the right person to get it and not have it just filed into my file to sit and gather dust
2. is it ok to abbreviate UTH throughout the letter or should i continuously write out the university of texas blah blah? :rolleyes:

1. do you think i should send it to the dean of admissions or just to the adcom? I jsut want the right person to get it and not have it just filed into my file to sit and gather dust
2. is it ok to abbreviate UTH throughout the letter or should i continuously write out the university of texas blah blah? :rolleyes:

1. Go straight to the top. What do you have to lose?
2. How about UT-Houston and you shouldn't be using it too much anyway, but no UTH. Just my $.02

I would send it to Dr. Kellaway. And I would write out the University of Texas Medical School at Houston first, and then follow it with UT Houston. But that is just my opinion.

1.) how would you send it to the adcom? an adcom is made up of many people. the rest of u correct me if i'm wrong but I believe you should just send it to the office of admissions with your TMDSAS number and name clearly marked in the letter or on envelope. they will stick it in your file.

how effective would a LOI be? most of TX schools have thrown together some waitlist already...

2.) some kind of abbreviation should be alright I think... would be very redundant otherwise

I wouldn't write UT-H because the University of Texas at Houston in a completely different entity. UTMSH or UTMS-H might be a better abbreviation, but use it sparingly. Also, I agree with eternalrage. Send it to the office of admissions just as you would any other document with your TMDSAS number and name.

Members don't see this ad :)
Average GPA & MCAT of Offers Extended by Each School as of Feb 1st

Southwestern 3.81GPA, 33.6 MCAT
Galveston 3.80 GPA, 31.1 MCAT
Houston 3.76 GPA, 31.5 MCAT
San Antonio 3.67 GPA, 30.0 MCAT
TAMU 3.80 GPA, 30.0 MCAT
Tech 3.70 GPA, 30.1 MCAT
TCOM 3.66 GPA, 28.5 MCAT

Thought you guys might like to know...

cool thx.

wheres the source for that?

cool thx.

wheres the source for that?

Originally from B. Mabry of TMDSAS... It was given to preprofessional advisors at some conference they had recently.

Another interesting tidbit -- those stats were for extended offers

Southwestern - 265 offers -- 3333 applicants
Galveston - 457 offers -- 3595 applicants
Houston - 345 offers -- 3683 applicants
San Antonio - 405 offers -- 3609 applicants
TAMU - 284 offers -- 3133 applicants
Tech - 276 offers -- 3048 applicants
TCOM - 330 offers -- 1960 applicants

TAMU 3.80 GPA, 30.0 MCAT
Tech 3.70 GPA, 30.1 MCAT
TCOM 3.66 GPA, 28.5 MCAT

Looks like the stats keep creeping higher and higher each year.

For some reason I think somewhere on these boards I read that UTSW gave out 265 prematch offers and NO ONE declined. But didn't at least two people on this board tell us that they chose UTH over UTSW in the prematch? I remember one guy posting on facebook about his dilemma and then the guy with the avatar with the big head. And eternalrage didn't you decline UTSW? Am I going crazy? There were quite a few people mulling over the UTH vs. UTSW decision (me, a girl from california, etc.)

i most certainly did not decline UTSW. I declined UTSA

ID CUT OFFF THE LITTLE GENRAL FOR UTSW

i most certainly did not decline UTSW. I declined UTSA

ID CUT OFFF THE LITTLE GENRAL FOR UTSW

oh oh oh oh yeah! Now I remember! But I am pretty sure about the other ones. So that would be at least 2 still.

Looks like the stats keep creeping higher and higher each year.

Those stats are deceiving i would think b/c of acceptances going out to the same kids with high stats. I think the mcat score would drop substantially if it were only kids that held their acceptances.

For some reason I think somewhere on these boards I read that UTSW gave out 265 prematch offers and NO ONE declined. But didn't at least two people on this board tell us that they chose UTH over UTSW in the prematch? I remember one guy posting on facebook about his dilemma and then the guy with the avatar with the big head. And eternalrage didn't you decline UTSW? Am I going crazy? There were quite a few people mulling over the UTH vs. UTSW decision (me, a girl from california, etc.)

I know some people turned down UTSW. Perhaps that is how many they went into the match with??? :confused:

I have two friends who were both given pre-match offers to UTSW as well as UT-H. They'll both be at UT-Houston next semester :D

Those stats are deceiving i would think b/c of acceptances going out to the same kids with high stats. I think the mcat score would drop substantially if it were only kids that held their acceptances.

I agree.

OK cool, rumor squashed.. I thought when I read that somewhere it seemed a bit unbelievable.

Will the new UTH building be complete for the beginning of the 2007 school year after that fire?

It's not a rumor... it was in their e-mail

I know some people turned down UTSW. Perhaps that is how many they went into the match with??? :confused:

No because there were still more pre-match offers than seats available going into the match (even after ppl declined pre-match offers at SW for UTH as above mentioned). The only ppl who were to match were if going into the match they had a pre-match at SW then ranked say, SA higher. Then 1 spot would be 'free' at SW and would pull someone off their match list (as far as I understand it).

it does say with those gpas and stuff that it is going INTO the match, not post match numbers because its from feb 1.

So maybe in the email they were saying they had no matches not because no one declined their prematch offers but because not enough people declined or because no one ranked another school higher (or no one matched higher).

I'm gonna go search for the email, it's somewhere on this forum.

did any of you see the numbers in the "why you didn't get into texas schools" thread? it had a LOT of specific numbers in it

And on the galveston video that was posted earlier you can see their match gpa and mcat. i think they were 3.76 and 30

Ahh ok I get it:

"None of our currently accepted applicants matched to a school they preferred over Southwestern. So, no new offers were made in the Match."

No one matched higher... so some people could have tried but didn't get their higher ranked school (or no one tried). They never said anything to the likes of no one dropped their prematch offers, although we know definately less than 45 dropped.

And they said in the email that currently their class is slightly oversubscribed. So for those of you on the waitlist, we know it is definately <265 and >220. Or from the 6 who have dropped (from info on this board) <259, more likely closer to 220!

So maybe in the email they were saying they had no matches not because no one declined their prematch offers but because not enough people declined or because no one ranked another school higher (or no one matched higher).

I'm gonna go search for the email, it's somewhere on this forum.

The waitlist email said that, of the people who ACCEPTED their prematch offer to UTSW, none of them matched at another TX school on Feb 15, thereby opening their spot for someone in the match. Some people erroneously read this to mean that no one turned an offer down prematch. They did, but no one who accepted their prematch ended up at a different school in the match.

UTSW is basically saying, that of all the people that held onto their pre-match acceptances to UTSW going into match... noone picked another school over it. That does make sense. The people you are talking about prolly turned down UTSW before match.

I think I'm re-confused. UTMB, on their video, had a different number for how many acceptances they had going into the match. It was almost 200 I believe. That is how they had 15 spots for the match. HELP HELP I don't want to be confused!

Second that. Very deceptive if its for offers extened. So much overlap

TAMU 3.80 GPA, 30.0 MCAT
Tech 3.70 GPA, 30.1 MCAT
TCOM 3.66 GPA, 28.5 MCAT

Hahaha, with those numbers I'll need a miracle to get off UTSW's waitilist...

Sorry if I confused you guys... just thought you might want to know what kinda stats the schools were looking for during their acceptance offers period.

Who me? Or the other guy with the big head who chose UTH over UTSW?

Sorry if I confused you guys... just thought you might want to know what kinda stats the schools were looking for during their acceptance offers period.

True that, it still serves as a guide either way! (unfortunately i guess depending on how you look at it)

Originally from B. Mabry of TMDSAS... It was given to preprofessional advisors at some conference they had recently.

Another interesting tidbit -- those stats were for extended offers

Southwestern - 265 offers -- 3333 applicants
Galveston - 457 offers -- 3595 applicants
Houston - 345 offers -- 3683 applicants
San Antonio - 405 offers -- 3609 applicants
TAMU - 284 offers -- 3133 applicants
Tech - 276 offers -- 3048 applicants
TCOM - 330 offers -- 1960 applicants

Are these pre or post-match?

Are these pre or post-match?

These are from Feb 1st --- including all offers (not those who are actually going to matriculate) sent out by the schools.

For those of you counting I also turned down UTSW. I was hoping that would make somebody happy come match day but it looks like it didn't. Sorry, I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.