The Republic of Texas Thread - Part IV - Don't Mess with Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are waitlist offeres of acceptance also done thru TMDSAS??

That way I can still obsess over LMFU and Validation dates!!

Members don't see this ad.

alrite...now I am confused.. TAMU extended 284 offers, and still had 71 spots for the match ?

Either people hate TAMU, or someone is lying :confused:

Well, I vote for UTHSCSA and Tech so I can see if I made the right decision;) .

Thanks,

'Rambler
UTSA is of course Eva Longoria:

050326102147Eva-Longoria.jpg

For Tech, a country girl:

jessica_simpson_jeep.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to let you guys know I talked to Dr. Dalley from Texas Tech at the HPO fair at UT, and he said that they filled 2/3 of their class prematch and had ~60 spots for the match. They said they only lost 2 students post match, and all schools were generally shocked with how many people held on to their prematch offers (big surprise). He also expressed disappointment in other schools for not being more selective/reserved with their prematch offers and filling their classes entirely or almost entirely (mentioning UTH and UTSW specifically) prematch. He said, "They missed out on some great applicants. From our last interview on 12/20, we had about 5 high priority applicants that we were able to rank high and essentially extend offers to. Other schools didn't have this luxury"

He ALSO said that they would be doing this process 1 more year. But with some sort of different restrictions/guidelines. (He was going to expand, and then some stupid freshman walked up to get a free pen.) So, reapplicants will have to endure this prematch/match offer yet again.
Hopefully the schools will be somewhat wiser next time around.

I got the letter from UTSA today. I live in Dallas. I THINK if you get it it means you're on the alternative pool list if you say you want it. Is that right?

i got a msg from shandala this morning too. she didn't quote that figure but 71 is pretty high. sucks that i wasn't part of that group.

btw, anastasis, vin is a badass; he's my idol in terms of body building. the only gripe i have is that his obliques are too big! i almost made that mistake of working heavy weights on those muscles. haha
:eek: How dare you insult the Vin! :smuggrin:

Just kidding. You suddenly have me worried I'm doing too much weight on my obliques... :oops:

Will the new UTH building be complete for the beginning of the 2007 school year after that fire?

It was supposed to "open" (meaning grand or officially open) in Nov/Dec. They're still evaluating the damage, and will adjust the date sometime soon. Hopefully it won't be too much of a delay; the fire was localized to a single floor.

has everyone who interviewed at Southwestern but did not receive a waitlist email or been accepted have you been rejected or still waiting to hear? I am still waiting to hear...

I got my rejection in the mail.

Were they mean or median GPA? Or am I just splitting hairs?

They are mean scores of those offered acceptances... and they're only the preliminary numbers as of Feb 1st

The chart I have is a comparison between last year and this year... Most schools (except Southwestern) offered >100 additional spots when compared to last year.

For OOS/nonresidents and UTH - it says they sent out 19 offers to OOS or nonresidents.

For those interested in next year's application timeline --

Opens -- May 1st (as usual)
Deadline -- Oct 1st
Prematch -- Nov 15-Dec 31
Match Preferences and Decline all but one Prematch -- Jan 15
Match Results/Rolling Admission Period Begins-- Feb 1

Here's a stupid question... am i supposed to reapply to these texas schools in may that i'm still on the waitlist on? Cuz I dont really feel like waiting until their schools start to apply again in august.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a stupid question... am i supposed to reapply to these texas schools in may that i'm still on the waitlist on? Cuz I dont really feel like waiting until their schools start to apply again in august.

Get it in the first day if you can! That's what I'm doing :) You don't have to wait.

My question is, what can I do between now and May 1st to improve my app?? Log some volunteer hours, find a doctor to shadow...other ideas? It's right around the corner! :eek:

Are waitlist offeres of acceptance also done thru TMDSAS??

That way I can still obsess over LMFU and Validation dates!!

We all wish... Not

I do know, however, that TMDSAS is notified if you are straight out rejected from the school or if your application is still "pending"

My question is, what can I do between now and May 1st to improve my app?? Log some volunteer hours, find a doctor to shadow...other ideas? It's right around the corner! :eek:
that's the problem.. the only new stuff is usually another couple of semesters' grades and maybe a few new activities. there's not much time to make some kind of big difference.

The best you could do is find some hands-on experience in medicine. Either something clinical or lab related. With time constraints though, this might be harder to accomplish.

What you should definitely do is volunteer work in both the medical field and in the community. Shadow some physicians, join Meals on Wheels (or Habitat for Humanity, or something).

You can also take some post-bacc classes to bring up your GPA if necessary (something in the sciences).

Anything that can give you an experience that you can write about/speak of in your application and interviews will help get you in next year.

Some of my emails from interviewers are depressing. They basically say my app. file is fine and surprised I didn't get in, or sorry you didn't get in but surely you matched somewhere else.

The only real suggestion I get is to get more medical exposure, which I am currently in the process of doing. But man it seems like I was so close.:( :(

And yes I applied early.

People, it may seem depressing right now, but history shows that wait list movement does occur due to OOS schools; this should happen regardless of how the match went.

So hold out hope, the wait lists will move.

People, it may seem depressing right now, but history shows that wait list movement does occur due to OOS schools; this should happen regardless of how the match went.

So hold out hope, the wait lists will move.

I see no one is interested in my news about the wait list. But it's there a few threads up. Someone was called today from Houston and given a spot from the waitlist.

I see no one is interested in my news about the wait list. But it's there a few threads up. Someone was called today from Houston and given a spot from the waitlist.

I saw your post, but I think people should expect a lot more movement in the future.

No I totally saw it!!! OMG LET ME IN!!! lol :D

Oh, and thanks for the advice guys. I won't be retaking the MCAT, my 30 made me so ecstatic...;) The 3.64 could come up a little...

I would say shadow a doctor between now and then and also plan to do some research over the summer, then write about both of these in your personal statement.

It might help if we knew what the weaknesses and strengths of your app are now. Most things that you can improve suffer from diminishing returns.

WHAT!? UT-H "WAITLIST" MOV'T!!! I thought they haven't populated a waitlist and were waiting until March...

oh wow. instant stressor. I thought I could take a back seat on that for a while...

I mean, I'm sure we're all going to receive our calls tomorrow!

It might help if we knew what the weaknesses and strengths of your app are now. Most things that you can improve suffer from diminishing returns.

You can check my mdapps. I'm guessing my weakness is probably in my GPA, which is going to be hard to bring up considering I have 138 credit hours. I think I have pretty good EC's, they're listed in my mdapps as well. Honestly though, since I had 4 interviews my biggest problem must be during the interview...while I thought they all went well, I must not be selling it to them enough...

You can check my mdapps. I'm guessing my weakness is probably in my GPA, which is going to be hard to bring up considering I have 138 credit hours. I think I have pretty good EC's, they're listed in my mdapps as well. Honestly though, since I had 4 interviews my biggest problem must be during the interview...while I thought they all went well, I must not be selling it to them enough...

could also quite possibly be just dumb luck...such as your interviewers couldn't make the adcom meeting to tell them how great you are, or they weren't on the adcom and just didn't sell you enough in their review etc.

They are mean scores of those offered acceptances... and they're only the preliminary numbers as of Feb 1st

The chart I have is a comparison between last year and this year... Most schools (except Southwestern) offered >100 additional spots when compared to last year.

For OOS/nonresidents and UTH - it says they sent out 19 offers to OOS or nonresidents.
That would make sense if the class is 220... 19 would be roughly ~10%.

for everyone interested in the UTH waitlist situation: I got an email today from Dr. Kellaway and she said she's not sure about how much movement there will be on the WL but they are expecting some and we should just wait and see. She also talked about how the match was different and "so many good appicants are out there without a position". So at least they think the match was f***ed up this year too.

She also confirmed that I was on the WL (no info on where though). So to everyone talking about a LOI, I would just shoot one of the deans a quick email and it will get processed alot faster. And it will probably save you a lot of time/anxiety also.

alrite...now I am confused.. TAMU extended 284 offers, and still had 71 spots for the match ?

any thoughts anyone? I know its lame to quote my own post, but oh well....

any thoughts anyone? I know its lame to quote my own post, but oh well....

perhaps they submitted 71 names for the match...doesn't mean they matched 71 people

A&M expanded their class size to 200 right? So about 155 people declined TAMU's offer going into the match, seems like a reasonable figure since a lot of people was offered acceptance from multiple schools.

i just talked to A&M adcom and she told me that they willl be sending out alternative list(waitlist) letters in 2 weeks(first via email, then snail mail so we could sign it). she said 71 seats were given out for the match, so i guess i was not one of them to receive them. adcom will meet to select ppl who will be considered for the alternative list.
errgh

I took that to mean they actually MATCHED 71 people.

And I think their class is still 100 this year.

Damn :( Slowly looking really bad :(

A&M expanded their class size to 200 right? So about 155 people declined TAMU's offer going into the match, seems like a reasonable figure since a lot of people was offered acceptance from multiple schools.

OH NO! They are expanding to 100. 20 in Temple 80 in College Station

The numbers are off because they had (according to Filo) 180 acceptances going into the match. It is totally unlikely that they lost 150 in the match. esp since only 180 or whatever matched (according to another thread)

Also according to another thread it was like 460 people with multiple acceptances

perhaps they submitted 71 names for the match...doesn't mean they matched 71 people

I heard through the rumor mill of A&M M1s I know that there was a list of 300 for the match. I haven't heard anything about anyone matching

Life without med school and as a will-be reapplicant sucks... I can barely get out of bed.. and SDN is the only reason I get out of bed...

Life without med school and as a will-be reapplicant sucks... I can barely get out of bed.. and SDN is the only reason I get out of bed...

Hey, I hear you...but chin up!! There's still WL and were gonna ROCK next year's app :D They won't say no to us again!

don't worry trev, it sucks but it will get better. There IS going to be lots of waitlist movement so don't get discouraged

OH NO! They are expanding to 100. 20 in Temple 80 in College Station

The numbers are off because they had (according to Filo) 180 acceptances going into the match. It is totally unlikely that they lost 150 in the match. esp since only 180 or whatever matched (according to another thread)

Also according to another thread it was like 460 people with multiple acceptances

So when is A&M SOM going to increase the class size to 200? Says in the link below that the board already approved a class size increase to 200 back in Jan of 2006?

http://tamus.edu/systemwide/06/10/features/reunion.html

Assuming A&M is not over accepting applicants, 255 people declined A&M's offer?

The 460 people with multiple acceptances is not really useful since those people can have anywhere from 2 to 7 offers...

for everyone interested in the UTH waitlist situation: I got an email today from Dr. Kellaway and she said she's not sure about how much movement there will be on the WL but they are expecting some and we should just wait and see. She also talked about how the match was different and "so many good appicants are out there without a position". So at least they think the match was f***ed up this year too.

She also confirmed that I was on the WL (no info on where though). So to everyone talking about a LOI, I would just shoot one of the deans a quick email and it will get processed alot faster. And it will probably save you a lot of time/anxiety also.

whoooooooooooooooooooa. wait a sec. Dr. K emailed you (like only email those on WL) or was it a reply?

That's why laptops were invented. Buy one and then you won't have to get out of bed. In a few short months you can look like my mom :D

I know you're crushed by the outcome of things but seriously, try to add a few more clinicals then write update letters + an LOI and then don't worry about it. Life is moving on, don't fall behind.

So when is A&M SOM going to increase the class size to 200? Says in the link below that the board already approved a class size increase to 200 back in Jan of 2006?

http://tamus.edu/systemwide/06/10/features/reunion.html

Assuming A&M is not over accepting applicants, 255 people declined A&M's offer?

In January 2006 they approved incremental increases up to a final of 200

"In January 2006, the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents approved the college’s proposal to incrementally increase class size to 200 students per year. This strategy for growth also spurred on plans to build out the two current two-year campuses to create four-year campuses in each location."

They are just now bumping up to 100, then I think 120 next year and so on.

Trust me, I know how you feel. Read my signature. I have dreaded and hated life for the past few years and looks like that feeling will soon be an eternal one. So if it makes you feel better, you aren't alone.

-DVN

whoooooooooooooooooooa. wait a sec. Dr. K emailed you (like only email those on WL) or was it a reply?

It was a reply. If you made friends with her at the interview you should definitely email her too (or Dr. Gleason). And when she confirmed my WL status she said it wasn't formalized so I don't think they've ranked the list yet. The letters are still going out in March for the official WL stuff and I think it's supposed to say whether or not they think you're going to clear the WL.

Status
Not open for further replies.