The Republic of Texas Thread - Part IV - Don't Mess with Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why laptops were invented. Buy one and then you won't have to get out of bed. In a few short months you can look like my mom :D

I know you're crushed by the outcome of things but seriously, try to add a few more clinicals then write update letters + an LOI and then don't worry about it. Life is moving on, don't fall behind.
Good attitude :)

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know the stats of getting off the waitlist for TCOM?

Thanks. Yall the best.

TAMU has a current class of 80 and wants to move it up to 200 over the next few years to where it's at 200 in 2011 or so. i don't think it's possible or prudent to more than double your medical school class in a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about being optimistic for WLs. We've been jerked around a bit this cycle already and everything's so different from last year, I want to hope I'll get off UTSW waitlist but I can't help but feel it's going to be another "WTF moment."

We've already had several of those - when Jayhawk dropped the bomb about UTSW not being in the match, the match itself, UTH's email about the match, and now we have UTH handing out WL acceptances without the formal WL letters going out...

I for one would totally not be surprised if somehow this WL stuff went all haywire.

I don't know about being optimistic for WLs. We've been jerked around a bit this cycle already and everything's so different from last year, I want to hope I'll get off UTSW waitlist but I can't help but feel it's going to be another "WTF moment."

We've already had several of those - when Jayhawk dropped the bomb about UTSW not being in the match, the match itself, UTH's email about the match, and now we have UTH handing out WL acceptances without the formal WL letters going out...

I for one would totally not be surprised if somehow this WL stuff went all haywire.

I know man, I for one am just sick of being told so many different things. I wish one person would step up and give a clear answer. It's not cool to mess with people like this, everyone has put so much of their heart and soul into this process. WE AT LEAST deserve to be treated with some respect and dignity.

I'm sorry, I just need to vent. It's all starting to build up now:(

95 more posts till new thread.

Braluk can u use one of our custom titles now

or just give us our own subforum

yes the texas premeds subforum in preallo.

I learned that michealangelo was a gunner in class today (seriously)

TAMU has a current class of 80 and wants to move it up to 200 over the next few years to where it's at 200 in 2011 or so. i don't think it's possible or prudent to more than double your medical school class in a year.

Especially since there are only 127 seats in the M1 classroom. :) (yeah, we counted)

just got my rejection from tech in the mail! (didn't interview there at all)

just got my rejection from tech in the mail! (didn't interview there at all)

Me too. However, they sent it to my old address even though my new address has been updated in TMDSAS since early december :confused:

Woops, mine was from A&M, not tech

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn these texas threads move fast. First time posting in here but I matched Texas Tech during the match so i look forward to joining the others in here in the fall.

that's why we need our own subforum.

when i become hokage... i will make one for us

Own subforum, that would be pretty sweet because as most of u know texas is the best!

You know it would be perfectly fair! A Texas/TMDSAS subforum, and to be fair to the U.S. they could have an AMCAS subforum :)

Who me? Or the other guy with the big head who chose UTH over UTSW?

You! Right? But it doesn't matter, we've concluded people did turn down the prematch offers.

I've posted a proposal in Site Suggestions. The link is in my sig.

I'm thinking if we got our own subforum, we could attract lots of Texas applicants here, to the point where our subforum devours the main one. Then from the PreAllopathic Forum of the Republic of Texas we could make a bid for all of Premedical Forums, including the DOs (via TCOM spies) and the NonTraditionals.

And then, you guessed it, we will invade the other subforums and subject them to the glory of Texas posting.

And we will steal their oil too.

Excellent. Then it is settled. We will take over the forum. I expect a swift victory, and total annihiliation in less than a week.

If need be, we have backup.
039_20147~Chuck-Norris-Posters.jpg

Excellent. Then it is settled. We will take over the forum. I expect a swift victory, and total annihiliation in less than a week.

If need be, we have backup.
039_20147~Chuck-Norris-Posters.jpg

oh oh oh! Which med school is he???? :)

EDIT: Oh Oh Oh! I know! He's the trusty pre-med advisor that will ROUNDHOUSE KICK med schools in the face that do us wrong. :)

we do need our own area on sdn...i support his movement fully

and to be fair to the U.S.

I like how you refer to the U.S. as if it is a separate country near Thailand. :thumbup:

Got my first rejection letter in the mail from UTSW. Actually, it was really cathartic. Like their waitlist email, they cut the crap. It's 4 lines of, "syou didn't qualify to be interviewed." I almost feel compelled to write them and say, "Thank you for being so straight foward with your responses, whether for your waitlist or for this pity rejection letter. I will always keep a high opinion of UTSW because of your honesty throughout the application process."

Wait list movement is likely to be due to people going OOS or to Baylor. Since no one knew what to expect when they were applying the same number of people probably applied OOS this year. The change in how the TMDSAS schools gave out their acceptances should not have an impact on people's preferences with regard to the OOS schools. So I think movement will happen and it will happen similarly to previous years.

You can check my mdapps. I'm guessing my weakness is probably in my GPA, which is going to be hard to bring up considering I have 138 credit hours. I think I have pretty good EC's, they're listed in my mdapps as well. Honestly though, since I had 4 interviews my biggest problem must be during the interview...while I thought they all went well, I must not be selling it to them enough...

I'd probably go for the MCAT. Your EC's are good and your GPA has momentum. Your MCAT isn't bad, but if it were high it would cast your GPA in a better light and your MCAT would be higher, both good things.

where is the status available? I cant find it. Do you mean the note that says "you are currently on the waitlist" Or is there a list available online?

If i write a LOI to a school, am i in effect binding myself to the school? And does it even matter if I write a LOI or not?

If i write a LOI to a school, am i in effect binding myself to the school?

Technically, no; for all intents and purposes, yes

And does it even matter if I write a LOI or not?

it really depends, you'll get a mixed response, generally both extremes. I personally believe it doesn't help. Will I write one to my top school? Yes, it will at least reassure me that I did everything I could.

how 'bout this weather?

haha its great!! (one more page of posts!!....i'm ready for a new thread...this one has too much match day baggage)

how's everyone's LMFUs/Vals doing? :D

Wow i'm impressed with Texas Tech... seems like they are the only texas school to utilize pre-match and match. Probably how the system was designed to work.

yeah it actually looked they followed "the rules" (if there were any really to begin with) :thumbup:

no one's posting, much be watching Greys ;)

spoiler: she comes back to life with like 1 minute left in the episode, cuz they're lame like that.

how 'bout this weather?

Oh I LOVE IT!!

I wish we had this kind of "perfect" weather more often (not everyday because then we wouldn't appreciate it ;) ) instead of the extremes we have sometimes, alternating between 100 F and 30 F the next day.

And I missed Gray's todays but it's very lame that she revived. I mean, they were doing CPR for like 20 minutes on the last episode, it's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

PS: Did Dr. H give a quiz in Immunology today? :confused:

Oh I LOVE IT!!

I wish we had this kind of "perfect" weather more often (not everyday because then we wouldn't appreciate it ;) ) instead of the extremes we have sometimes, alternating between 100 F and 30 F the next day.

And I missed Gray's todays but it's very lame that she revived. I mean, they were doing CPR for like 20 minutes on the last episode, it's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

PS: Did Dr. H give a quiz in Immunology today? :confused:
they did CPR for like 1.5 hours, then she just woke right back up and started breathing on her own. she sure took those broken ribs well!

he didn't give a quiz, but he called on quite a few people and they were all absent.

Status
Not open for further replies.