The Republic of Texas Thread - Part VI - The Legacy of Chuck Norris

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy was declared Mentally Ill by a Virginia Court in 2005. A Virginia special justice declared that he was "an imminent danger." to himself and others as a result of mental illness. That court document went on to say that Cho was in need of hospitalization and unable to care for self, and is uncapable of volunteering or unwilling to volunteer for treatment.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/18/vtech.shooting/index.html

I don't really support strict gun control, but I have a sinking feeling that if Virginia like Texas required a 3-day waiting period where in-depth background checks are conducted that they would have found these court documents declaring that Cho was Mentally Ill and unfit to lawfully own firearms.

Instead Virginia only requires a "quick search" background check using some sort of state database and requires no waiting period.

I'm not saying that a waiting period is The solution, but if a person declared Mentally Ill by a state court is allowed to Legally Buy a Gun... something is definitely not right with the gun control laws.

P.S. I'm not trying to start an argument either. Just want to inform you that there was a problem with him owning a firearm. I too dont blame guns, but believe that Mentally Ill people shouldn't own them.
Doctor-patient confidentiality? Or should the people running background checks have access to all of our medical history?

I will agree that people should be blacklisted if deemed a danger to themselves or others, but how are you going to get around HIPAA?

What about current gun owners? Should they be subjected to routine psych evaluations to make sure they haven't gone crazy? Do we take their guns away if someone goes to a shrink?

Members don't see this ad.

did everyone just get accepted and decide they don't need to post on SDN anymore or something?

I've got a jillion other things going on and try to stop by SDN everyday, but somedays I don't. That's my excuse.

I'm sure everyone has already heard about this. I've been learning more about the Virginia Tech shootings today and they started releasing the names of many of the dead, and it just finally hit me how horrific it was. It's just unimaginable...so horrible, so much life and potential lost.

With so many school shootings when will we, America, ever do something about it? Every time it happens we say it's "unbelievable," and yet it keeps happening and we keep saying it's unbelievable, but what do we do to keep it from happening. Should we focus on gun control, education, prevention? Is there anything at all that can be done?

Personally, I'm sick and tired of it.

Seems like you REALLY have a gun control agenda here, and that's fine, but why contaminate this thread with a gun control debate when there are dozens of other threads having this same debate here on SDN.

My view on this probably won't be popular. Bad things happen. We always want to try to find some panacea to fix a specific problem. Maybe tougher gun laws could've stopped THIS VERY SPECIFIC INCIDENT from happening, but other bad stuff would still have happened. If this guy wanted to kill someone with a gun, and couldn't buy one at a store, he could've just bought one illegally. It's really not that hard. We like to think that we can come up with easy solutions to difficult problems, but we can't and bad stuff will continue to happen.

That's not to say that I don't feel for the victims and don't wish that this hadn't happened, but bad things happen (unfortunately, often to good people.) We need to just move on (and not think that we can find an easy cure to problems like these.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctor-patient confidentiality? Or should the people running background checks have access to all of our medical history?

I will agree that people should be blacklisted if deemed a danger to themselves or others, but how are you going to get around HIPAA?

What about current gun owners? Should they be subjected to routine psych evaluations to make sure they haven't gone crazy? Do we take their guns away if someone goes to a shrink?

This was a court ruling. Court rulings are Public Records.

HIPPA was enacted purely to protect Hospital Records of individuals so that they can not be used against that person. Hospital Records are not Public Records. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

Cho was determined Mentally Ill by a district court not while hospitalized. Here is the official document from that court. http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/04/18/cho.pdf

Do not confuse the distinction between being declared Legally Mentally Ill with that of a hospital diagnostic. However, if a hospitalized person is declared Mentally Ill while keeping with HIPPA laws, the state would be notified and if that person tried to buy a gun that Mental Illness diagnosis would be a red flag on a gun ownership background check.

No, gun owners should not be subject to yearly mental health checks.... that's just ridiculous.
I do believe that All People should have medical check-ups fairly often and have health insurance.

You do not take away peoples gun's for seeing a shrink or being hospitalized for a mental health issue. However, if a Court Rules that a person is an Imminent Danger to Himself and Others.... I think its self-explanatory.

P.S. Once again, I'm not trying to start an argument but just trying to explain my position more specifically.

Seems like you REALLY have a gun control agenda here, and that's fine, but why contaminate this thread with a gun control debate when there are dozens of other threads having this same debate here on SDN.
[...]

Easy fixes are so nice and pretty, though!

You're right, of course, we should probably try to keep the Texas thread clear of the same argument that's happening elsewhere in multiple copies.

I've pretty much resolved to steer clear of pre-allo from here on out, having bookmarked this thread and a couple others separately. It's too easy to get drawn into argument in the pre-allo forum. I got drawn in rather thoroughly over this issue, and I think I shouldn't have let it happen. I become angered too easily by the news, particularly by other people's pighe... er, alternative opinions... in response to the news. And it's really no fun being angry. Even if anger is the only reasonable response to reality. No, especially when that's true.

Who needs that much realism? I'm going to sit on the sofa with the cat, listen to some chamber music, drink a glass of wine, and read some Anthony Trollope. That's all the realism I can handle tonight.

great. not another gun control debate. all i have to say is people who cite the VT incident (and others like it) to ban guns are 1) really sheltered, 2) really stupid, or 3) have no common sense or foresight.

I've got a jillion other things going on and try to stop by SDN everyday, but somedays I don't. That's my excuse.

My view on this probably won't be popular. Bad things happen. We always want to try to find some panacea to fix a specific problem. Maybe tougher gun laws could've stopped THIS VERY SPECIFIC INCIDENT from happening, but other bad stuff would still have happened. If this guy wanted to kill someone with a gun, and couldn't buy one at a store, he could've just bought one illegally. It's really not that hard. We like to think that we can come up with easy solutions to difficult problems, but we can't and bad stuff will continue to happen.

That's not to say that I don't feel for the victims and don't wish that this hadn't happened, but bad things happen (unfortunately, often to good people.) We need to just move on (and not think that we can find an easy cure to problems like these.)

Nothing like the old 'people are going to die and we can't do anything about it anyway so let's not even try argument.' And I never said anything about a quick fix. I was just giving a couple of possible hundreds of suggestions. I think every aspect is worth exploring.

But in light of the fact that this is a pre-medical forum and not a gun-debate forum, this will be my last post on this subject as it seems to have riled some feathers which I certainly did not intend for it to do.

Edit: Also, I certainly do not have a gun-control agenda. The replies to my original post just happened to go in that direction so I followed up with it.

Can't argue with that. Any publicity is good publicity.

YAY Texas!!! I love this state! I like to travel now that I've studied abroad, but I'd never want to leave Texas long term!

maybe I'd be as excited as I used to be if I lived somewhere better. Temple is so incredibly boring.

if I lived somewhere like San Antonio where I could get trashed on some good margaritas and good mexican food .. yumm..

getting tired of this incessant heat though :(

Yum San Antonio! I love visiting down there, but I never felt like I would fit in the town very well.

Yum San Antonio! I love visiting down there, but I never felt like I would fit in the town very well.

Are you kidding!?! SA is friggin' awesome, and anyone fitz. A party for every, for ANY occasion, and for ANY culture! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you kidding!?! SA is friggin' awesome, and anyone fitz. A party for every, for ANY occasion, and for ANY culture! :biglove:

Don't forget the good Mexican food. And cheaper housing. And it's closer to the beach.

That is all.

YAY Texas!!! I love this state! I like to travel now that I've studied abroad, but I'd never want to leave Texas long term!

I really do think that living in different, widely-spread places is good for young adults, as it widens perspective. Having done that for 12 years, I'm happy to be coming home for a bit.

Financially, of course, med school is a good time to stay close to home for a Texan, but residency will be a good time to branch out again. I've been thinking a bit recently about Atlanta or Salt Lake City or some other region I've never lived in. Of course, moving about with a family would probably be more difficult. As my second New England winter draws to a close, however, I devoutly hope that I will never have to come back to live here.

I know it's premature for an MS-0 to think about residency, but it's entertaining. And it distracts me from the thought that I might fail out of MS-1. :scared: My fear:excitement ratio has been rising lately.

Everyone's is, I think!!

But I've been thinking about residency too... I'm not sure what I want to specialize in so I've been having the "do I want to buy a condo?" debate... if I'm only here 4 years I don't think it's such a good idea :(

I really do think that living in different, widely-spread places is good for young adults, as it widens perspective. Having done that for 12 years, I'm happy to be coming home for a bit.

Financially, of course, med school is a good time to stay close to home for a Texan, but residency will be a good time to branch out again. I've been thinking a bit recently about Atlanta or Salt Lake City or some other region I've never lived in. Of course, moving about with a family would probably be more difficult. As my second New England winter draws to a close, however, I devoutly hope that I will never have to come back to live here.

I know it's premature for an MS-0 to think about residency, but it's entertaining. And it distracts me from the thought that I might fail out of MS-1. :scared: My fear:excitement ratio has been rising lately.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with such thoughts. :oops:

Everyone's is, I think!!

But I've been thinking about residency too... I'm not sure what I want to specialize in so I've been having the "do I want to buy a condo?" debate... if I'm only here 4 years I don't think it's such a good idea :(

OH HOUSTON CONDO MARKET!!!!!
I have been looking at that too, and as expensive as rent is in Houston, even for four years you could get a good condo for MUCH less than rent. But places I looked at renting are more expensive because I'm currently feeling picky about the area I would want to stay in, and I have the desire to stay in a safe, very un-shady place. I'm a bit paranoid about shady factors in neighborhoods. I even looked over different crime maps.

With residency though, I'm pretty sure I'd like to stay in Texas, though branching out does sound fun sometimes. My roommate went to a lobby day in Austin about graduate medical training funding stuff, and apparently 80% of residents stay in the same city they had their residency in to practice. The lobby day was to say hmm we have a LOT (I forgot the percentage) of Texas med students going out of state for residency, and 80% of them stay there! And that is bad since the point of state schools is to provide doctors for the state (well that is what they say, I'm not saying they are right or wrong).

I'm finally getting used to Houston, and I really wouldn't mind staying there for residency. But we'll see.

Everyone's is, I think!!

If you won't have a lot of cash to potentially bail you out of a bad market/situation, then I'd say rent. But, if you think you will have cash to weather any storms, then buying can be very lucrative. As you might know, I am a huge proponent of home ownership (incl. condos) but it really is not for the faint of heart/pocketbook constrained.

Baylor just sent out the waitlist via email. Anyone planning on withdrawing themselves from it?

Baylor just sent out the waitlist via email. Anyone planning on withdrawing themselves from it?

Yes -- even if I really really loved Baylor and hated Southwestern, it would be difficult and complicated to wait until the last minute to decide where to move -- just complicated because of the non-trad family & house & spouse's job considerations.

As I like Southwestern, and think I'll be happy there, this one's a no-brainer.

Made it to the second page again. Pure blasphemy I say.

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! 1/200 that's awesome. any advice? i'm kind of lost at the moment

I'm definitely still in shock, but the best thing I can say is hang in there. Honestly, I had put the thought out of my mind that I was going to get in somewhere off a waitlist and just accepted that fact. However, I had made up my mind to really scrutinize my application and honestly go through it and see how I could make it better. First and foremost my MCAT wasn't where it needed to be, and because I couldn't study for it at this point (I've got 2 jobs and 13 hours of coursework). I knew I was going to have to take two years off (or else take a later summer MCAT and turn in a late application, which we all know is detrimental). I had a really hard time in the weeks after the match coming to terms with the fact that I couldn't reapply the next cycle, but I honestly got excited about my plans for the next few years. Anyway I was prepared to really take my time with that and be thorough in my studying. Also, my clincial experience consisted of only shadowing 3 doctors. So I had planned on going to Panama and Costa Rica this summer to do clinical work through UT; if you're interested you might check out what your school has to offer by way of that. I was going to get a job at a hospital as a patient care technician if they'd hire me and was in the middle of that process. I was going to save up some money, chill out, and enjoy the time off. If you're not sure where your application is lacking, call the medical schools. I called Tech, and they gave me very, very detailed information on exactly what they thought of me and it was so helpful. As in, you interviewed very well, and this is how each person ranked you on this scale, let me look over your personal statement...here's what I thought...let's read your LOR (although they couldn't tell me what they said, they let me know which ones were beaming, and needed to ask that person again for next time, and which one was kinda short, etc).

But like I said, I would just hang in there: everything happens for a reason. Stay positive and on top of deciding how to improve your application, do as I did and look to find a few things to do during this interim that you will never be able to do again. I was planning on going backpacking in europe at some point. Find out whatever it is you want to do that in 8-10 years you'll be too busy to do, and take this time to improve your applicatin to where it's the best you can make it. And you never know...you might get in somewhere in the process!

I'm definitely still in shock, but the best thing I can say is hang in there. Honestly, I had put the thought out of my mind that I was going to get in somewhere off a waitlist and just accepted that fact. However, I had made up my mind to really scrutinize my application and honestly go through it and see how I could make it better. First and foremost my MCAT wasn't where it needed to be, and because I couldn't study for it at this point (I've got 2 jobs and 13 hours of coursework). I knew I was going to have to take two years off (or else take a later summer MCAT and turn in a late application, which we all know is detrimental). I had a really hard time in the weeks after the match coming to terms with the fact that I couldn't reapply the next cycle, but I honestly got excited about my plans for the next few years. Anyway I was prepared to really take my time with that and be thorough in my studying. Also, my clincial experience consisted of only shadowing 3 doctors. So I had planned on going to Panama and Costa Rica this summer to do clinical work through UT; if you're interested you might check out what your school has to offer by way of that. I was going to get a job at a hospital as a patient care technician if they'd hire me and was in the middle of that process. I was going to save up some money, chill out, and enjoy the time off. If you're not sure where your application is lacking, call the medical schools. I called Tech, and they gave me very, very detailed information on exactly what they thought of me and it was so helpful. As in, you interviewed very well, and this is how each person ranked you on this scale, let me look over your personal statement...here's what I thought...let's read your LOR (although they couldn't tell me what they said, they let me know which ones were beaming, and needed to ask that person again for next time, and which one was kinda short, etc).

But like I said, I would just hang in there: everything happens for a reason. Stay positive and on top of deciding how to improve your application, do as I did and look to find a few things to do during this interim that you will never be able to do again. I was planning on going backpacking in europe at some point. Find out whatever it is you want to do that in 8-10 years you'll be too busy to do, and take this time to improve your applicatin to where it's the best you can make it. And you never know...you might get in somewhere in the process!

awww what great advice. Congratulations again :D

I really agree with that. It's good to see more of the world sometimes, and living in different places is a great way to get at that. I guess I just can't relate to not wanting to live anywhere different than where you're from. But then I'm from Oklahoma ...

As for real estate stuff, I've heard 4 years is enough to generally be safe. Houston with its whole lack of zoning could be different, though. :eek: I have an uncle who lost $40k on a house in a Houston because his neighborhood went from being nice to being horrid. Based on that experience, my thought is that if you buy, make sure you buy in an established neighborhood. You're going to pay more, but it's probably safer. Of course, this all depends on how risk averse you are.

Do schools like Baylor, UTSW, UTMB... notify applicants of acceptance via emails also? Think I'll be out of the country before any serious waitlist movements take place.

:banana: Here's to some UTSW waitlist movement. I hope it starts soon... GIDDY UP!!!!!:hardy:

Since I'm too lazy to look it up..

Anyone recall how many transcripts and pictures we need to send to TMDSAS? I'd like to get that stuff ready to go.

Since I'm too lazy to look it up..

Anyone recall how many transcripts and pictures we need to send to TMDSAS? I'd like to get that stuff ready to go.

I believe it's just one.

You do need to send one picture for each school +1, apparently.

If you won't have a lot of cash to potentially bail you out of a bad market/situation, then I'd say rent. But, if you think you will have cash to weather any storms, then buying can be very lucrative. As you might know, I am a huge proponent of home ownership (incl. condos) but it really is not for the faint of heart/pocketbook constrained.
I found one I liked for 65k - I think they'd take an offer of 62k or maybe 60k based on previous sells in the same area. I have a possible 10k to put for a downpayment but I'm questioning whether or not I want the hassel of owning a place.

(plus there's a possiblity of me taking care of a friend's house while they do some consulting abroad for a few years... I'd like to be free to do that for them if they need me).

I really agree with that. It's good to see more of the world sometimes, and living in different places is a great way to get at that. I guess I just can't relate to not wanting to live anywhere different than where you're from. But then I'm from Oklahoma ...

As for real estate stuff, I've heard 4 years is enough to generally be safe. Houston with its whole lack of zoning could be different, though. :eek: I have an uncle who lost $40k on a house in a Houston because his neighborhood went from being nice to being horrid. Based on that experience, my thought is that if you buy, make sure you buy in an established neighborhood. You're going to pay more, but it's probably safer. Of course, this all depends on how risk averse you are.
Wow that sucks :( I'm sorry to hear that about your uncle's house.

On the living abroad note, I lived abroad for a year and it was fantastic experience. I definitely want to do it again at some point. But as far as living in the US - I've traveled a lot within the states and I definitely plan on staying in Texas when I settle down.

I found one I liked for 65k - I think they'd take an offer of 62k or maybe 60k based on previous sells in the same area. I have a possible 10k to put for a downpayment but I'm questioning whether or not I want the hassel of owning a place.

(plus there's a possiblity of me taking care of a friend's house while they do some consulting abroad for a few years... I'd like to be free to do that for them if they need me).
If the location is good, that actually (based upon the 2 line description :) ) sounds like a good deal. Even if it is a 1-bedroom, if it is in a good location in Houston, it seems like there would not be too much room to move downward (i.e. the chances of losing 40k on a 60k property are essentially 0.)

Wow that sucks :( I'm sorry to hear that about your uncle's house.

On the living abroad note, I lived abroad for a year and it was fantastic experience. I definitely want to do it again at some point. But as far as living in the US - I've traveled a lot within the states and I definitely plan on staying in Texas when I settle down.

Just still can't relate. Do they drug the water in Texas or something? :) I guess being raised by transients makes you a little less likely to feel a need to stay in any particular state. Of course it's good for me because it's less competition to get where I want. I guess you hardcore Texans aren't driving up the real estate prices in Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc., unlike those silly Californians. :mad: ;)

Just still can't relate. Do they drug the water in Texas or something? :) I guess being raised by transients makes you a little less likely to feel a need to stay in any particular state. Of course it's good for me because it's less competition to get where I want. I guess you hardcore Texans aren't driving up the real estate prices in Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc., unlike those silly Californians. :mad: ;)
:laugh: Neither of my parents are originally from Texas... :laugh:

And Oregon and Washington are badass - for a vacation...

I've lived with people from other states and I never felt like I could relate to them in the same way as I can relate to someone who was also raised in small-town Texas. And no, I didn't vote for Bush. I'm not even conservative (at least not in the sense most people mean that word now). I enjoy being around people from other areas, and maybe some day I'll find someone that changes my mind about staying here. But when it comes to raising kids and settling down, I really want to stay in Texas.

Plus, God bless our ridiculously low real estate prices :biglove:

If the location is good, that actually (based upon the 2 line description :) ) sounds like a good deal. Even if it is a 1-bedroom, if it is in a good location in Houston, it seems like there would not be too much room to move downward (i.e. the chances of losing 40k on a 60k property are essentially 0.)
Hmmm... well I'm in no real hurry to close on any condo and I can walk away from this one if it sells underneath me... maybe I'll go see what kind of loan I could be approved for.

How long has it been since you've been to Washington or Colorado? (I've never made it to Oregon, so I can't really comment.) My company used to have offices in Broomfield (Denver) and Boulder, so I traveled there somewhat regularly. Denver didn't seem that much different than the cities here, with lots of the things that you've previously said that you don't like (sprawl, etc.) Plus, it's F'ING COLD! The skiing is awesome, but the place I went to last (Copper Mountain) seemed overrun with tourists. Did I also mention that it was F'ING COLD (and I grew up in NJ, so I was somwhat used to cold weather.) Boulder was different (but still F'ING COLD,) but it's now being overrun by Californians, and you can see the sprawl, etc starting.

Washington is great, but is getting up there with CA in terms of being too expensive to be practical to live there. Real estate prices in Redmond are now approaching ridiculous (people used to move to Redmond to escape the ridiculous Seattle real estate prices.) I'd love to live there, but just don't think I'll be able to afford it (are you planning on specializing in plastics or something, Doc. Bagel?)

I think we can (perhaps) agree on one thing. Californians suck (drive up prices everywhere.) It's happening here in Austin again (though the timing is fortuitous for me, since I'm looking to SELL my property here in Austin :) )

How long has it been since you've been to Washington or Colorado? (I've never made it to Oregon, so I can't really comment.) My company used to have offices in Broomfield (Denver) and Boulder, so I traveled there somewhat regularly. Denver didn't seem that much different than the cities here, with lots of the things that you've previously said that you don't like (sprawl, etc.) Plus, it's F'ING COLD! The skiing is awesome, but the place I went to last (Copper Mountain) seemed overrun with tourists. Did I also mention that it was F'ING COLD (and I grew up in NJ, so I was somwhat used to cold weather.) Boulder was different (but still F'ING COLD,) but it's now being overrun by Californians, and you can see the sprawl, etc starting.

I think we can (perhaps) agree on one thing. Californians suck (drive up prices everywhere.) It's happening here in Austin again (though the timing is fortuitous for me, since I'm looking to SELL my property here in Austin :) )

My roomate is originally from Arizona, and sometimes she talks about how it's getting overrun by Californians that are driving the prices up everywhere and ruining the local environment and color. I guess she isn't the only one complaining.

I myself think the real estate prices on that area are ridiculous, since for what I can buy a decent house over there I can buy myself a mansion here. Yes, Californian weather is great, but it's a little overcrowded for my taste.

And on the other hand, anything over 2 inches of snow during the winter = bad deal. I like cold weather but not that much.

I've lived with people from other states and I never felt like I could relate to them in the same way as I can relate to someone who was also raised in small-town Texas. And no, I didn't vote for Bush. I'm not even conservative (at least not in the sense most people mean that word now). I enjoy being around people from other areas, and maybe some day I'll find someone that changes my mind about staying here. But when it comes to raising kids and settling down, I really want to stay in Texas.

Plus, God bless our ridiculously low real estate prices :biglove:

Husbands do complicate things (they're worth it in the long run, of course.) Mine has a family that's mostly from New England! :eek: (They are remarkably nice people, however, and fortunately accent-free.) Careers complicate things, too, especially TWO careers. I would dearly love to raise my children in a Texas town or small city (not Dallas or Houston!) but I'd have to import an aerospace or robotics company for my husband and a major hospital for me to work in. And then it probably wouldn't be small any more. :(

Washington is great, but is getting up there with CA in terms of being too expensive to be practical to live there. Real estate prices in Redmond are now approaching ridiculous (people used to move to Redmond to escape the ridiculous Seattle real estate prices.) I'd love to live there, but just don't think I'll be able to afford it (are you planning on specializing in plastics or something, Doc. Bagel?)

Well, I lived in Portland until this last year and went to Seattle several times a year. Can't comment on Colorado because I haven't spent much time there recently, but I do think it's beautiful. Everyone from my high school seems to live in Denver now, so I guess it's the mecca for midwestern kids nowadays.

Yeah, the real estate prices are atrocious, but I'm guessing they're not too great in Austin these days either. When I was there, small houses in Hyde Park were pushing $400k. You just live in a tiny house and have a huge mortgage and think about all the nice amenities of where you live. :) So yeah, maybe plastics is necessary for that second bathroom, but eh IM/psych/whatever is enough to get a loan for a cute 2 bed/1 bath somewhere. ;)

Anyway, I'm just not wired to be super practical about where I live, so real estate's not going to be a high priority for me. I spent too long being miserable in the practical places and being happy in the impractical places and learned what works for me from the experience. We're all pretty unique in what gives us the most utility.

www.googlefight.com (I saw this for the first time on another pre-allo post)

Longhorns 4,290,000
Aggies 3,520,000

Who cares about football, google says the Longhorns kick a$$

Who cares about football

I'd be saying the same thing if my team got thumped 12-7 AT HOME. Ouch. Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?confId=&gameId=263280251

293031208100albse2.jpg

Yeah, the real estate prices are atrocious, but I'm guessing they're not too great in Austin these days either. When I was there, small houses in Hyde Park were pushing $400k. You just live in a tiny house and have a huge mortgage and think about all the nice amenities of where you live. :) So yeah, maybe plastics is necessary for that second bathroom, but eh IM/psych/whatever is enough to get a loan for a cute 2 bed/1 bath somewhere. ;)

Apples and oranges. Hyde park is one of the nicest nieghborhoods in Austin (well above the median home price in the city.) Comparable maybe to the Queen Anne (? I think that is the nice area around UWash) section of Seattle (Median home price was much higher than 400k IIRC.) I was more like comparing Redmond with Williamson county. Median home price there (Williamson county) is still 150k or less. Redmond, IIRC is creeping to the 300k range.

Anyway, I'm just not wired to be super practical about where I live, so real estate's not going to be a high priority for me. I spent too long being miserable in the practical places and being happy in the impractical places and learned what works for me from the experience. We're all pretty unique in what gives us the most utility.

As long as you're honest :) I like spare $$$, so that I can take lots of vacations wherever I want (I do really like Seattle,) live in a big house, and buy all the toys I want (both for me and my kids.) Plus I like to save, invest, and gamble with real estate (FWIW, expensive homes in good neighborhoods like Hyde Park are generally very good real estate investments, so if you stick to neighborhoods like that, you should do OK real-estate-investment-wise, but you do have to live in the 2/1 to get anything that approaches affordable....)

Apples and oranges. Hyde park is one of the nicest nieghborhoods in Austin (well above the median home price in the city.) Comparable maybe to the Queen Anne (? I think that is the nice area around UWash) section of Seattle (Median home price was much higher than 400k IIRC.) I was more like comparing Redmond with Williamson county. Median home price there (Williamson county) is still 150k or less. Redmond, IIRC is creeping to the 300k range.

As long as you're honest :) I like spare $$$, so that I can take lots of vacations wherever I want (I do really like Seattle,) live in a big house, and buy all the toys I want (both for me and my kids.) Plus I like to save, invest, and gamble with real estate (FWIW, expensive homes in good neighborhoods like Hyde Park are generally very good real estate investments, so if you stick to neighborhoods like that, you should do OK real-estate-investment-wise, but you do have to live in the 2/1 to get anything that approaches affordable....)

Ha, I lived right by Hyde Park (renting a cheapo apartment of course), so that's where my radar is with Austin real estate. You're right -- that probably gives me a not very realistic assessment of Austin real estate. It's a great neighborhood and definitely the type of thing I'm aiming for if/when I ever get any dough.

My uncle who lost all that money in Houston real estate was in a new development which apparently went from okay to a gang war land. Needless to say, their next house was in pretty much the most established neighborhood they could find.

Hey, though, if you want cheap real estate, you guys should all come to Oklahoma. I think our cities are cheaper than any other cities in the country. Of course you'd have to live in Oklahoma ... I guess the toys might make up for that. ;)

My uncle who lost all that money in Houston real estate was in a new development which apparently went from okay to a gang war land. Needless to say, their next house was in pretty much the most established neighborhood they could find.

That truly sucks. Goes to show you that "rules of thumb" are just that, and any real estate investment is a risk no matter what anyone tells you.

Hey, though, if you want cheap real estate, you guys should all come to Oklahoma. I think our cities are cheaper than any other cities in the country. Of course you'd have to live in Oklahoma ... I guess the toys might make up for that. ;)

Can you get "toys" in Oklahoma? Do they even have electricity there yet? ;)

ok is anyone else noticing that the main pre-med page isn't updating with the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.