The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pretty much school dependent. I don’t think anyone is going to clearly be able to answer this question. It could happen or it couldn’t happen.

My totally uneducated take: schools that have historically released decisions at midnight like UTSW might release decisions on the Saturday, but others would probably wait until Monday.

Also there’s a few schools from what I’ve seen that wait till like a week or two (or even a month) after October 15th anyway.

It’s just a day like any other. They will do whatever they feel like doing, don’t treat it like the end all of your medical career if you don’t get an A on Saturday.

As for why they would set prematch up on October 15th, I’m pretty sure it’s a fixed date set by TMDSAS that no one wanted to change. At the end of the day the two day difference probably doesn’t matter very much.

TL;DR: Don’t let it ruin your weekend! Go on a trip or hang out with friends or do underwater basket weaving. Whatever you’re into

Thanks for your comment.

Do you by any chance know anything about PLFSOM? Are they known to send out prematches on the first day or at least the first week?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your comment.

Do you by any chance know anything about PLFSOM? Are they known to send out prematches on the first day or at least the first week?
Foster is usually one of the early ones, yes. Good luck but don’t give up if there is no news right away.

Can someone explain what the purpose of the pre-match offer is?

Like what does the school have to gain from saying "hey we're going to accept you" early?

Might be a dumb question but I'm not seeing the point over just releasing the decision on match day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain what the purpose of the pre-match offer is?

Like what does the school have to gain from saying "hey we're going to accept you" early?

Might be a dumb question but I'm not seeing the point over just releasing the decision on match day.
It is supposed to relieve your worry because the cycle is so dang long.

Reactions: 1 users
I've only gotten a II from SHSU at this point. Is it fair to say that Texas MDs aren't in the cards for me?

I've only gotten a II from SHSU at this point. Is it fair to say that Texas MDs aren't in the cards for me?
Interviews will continue through December at some TMDSAS schools and February at others.
If you're still a student, update TMDSAS portal with your Fall 2022 grades.
It's not over!

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews will continue through December at some TMDSAS schools and February at others.
If you're still a student, update TMDSAS portal with your Fall 2022 grades.
It's not over!
That's reassuring to hear. My stats are mid-tier for most Texas schools though (516/3.75) so I won't be expecting too much.

That's reassuring to hear. My stats are mid-tier for most Texas schools though (516/3.75) so I won't be expecting too much.
Don’t you dare say mid tier to those stats haha. I could only dream of that MCAT score

Reactions: 5 users
The MCAT is good but the GPA is middling for TX schools for the most part.
Haha. My GPA is higher, but I would trade stats with you in a heartbeat. I’m sure the schools are saving your II for just the perfect time.

I got an MD II with a sub 3.5 and a much lower MCAT. There’s so much more to it than stats- even though yours are great! Crossing my fingers for you :)

Just curious, has anyone heard from any OOS schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I got into Harvard and Hopkins…still waiting on others tho :( (No I haven’t)
A prince from a foreign country actually emailed me saying I was accepted to their most prestigious medical school! The only admissions requirements were for me to provide them with my social security number and bank account details. They said they’d send me details about enrolling soon!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
No unfortunately. I used to believe the OOS bias for TX students was overblown, but tbh it seems very real. I knew rockstars that applied last year and the year before (like interviewed at almost all TX schools) and they heard nothing but crickets from AMCAS. With all that said your stats are very high, I'd be shocked if you didn't get anything at all OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
No unfortunately. I used to believe the OOS bias for TX students was overblown, but tbh it seems very real. I knew rockstars that applied last year and the year before (like interviewed at almost all TX schools) and they heard nothing but crickets from AMCAS. With all that said your stats are very high, I'd be shocked if you didn't get anything at all OOS.
Yeah I’m really starting to believe the TX bias too. It’s just weird to have heard nothing from AMCAS schools (not even holds or rejections). Thankfully i’ve been more successful in TX and an more than happy to stay here :)

Last edited:
Would you say OOS DO programs have a higher level of bias against TX residents as well or are they treated fairly the same?

A prince from a foreign country actually emailed me saying I was accepted to their most prestigious medical school! The only admissions requirements were for me to provide them with my social security number and bank account details. They said they’d send me details about enrolling soon!
Surprised they haven't asked for an enrollment deposit along with your supplemental. ;)

• Haha
Would you say OOS DO programs have a higher level of bias against TX residents as well or are they treated fairly the same?
Honestly I don’t know. And I will say, nobody has confirmed the OOS TX bias, it’s just a suspicion. It may not even truly exist

Honestly I don’t know. And I will say, nobody has confirmed the OOS TX bias, it’s just a suspicion. It may not even truly exist
It certainly feels like it exists. A friend of mine last year who had a LM 83 and killer ECs prematched at all TX schools minus Baylor + got into Baylor on match day but received complete and total silence from all 25 AMCAS schools he applied to. Except for NYU and Emory in mid-November (he's at NYU now).

Reactions: 3 users
Do faculty interviews have more weight than student interviews? I'd imagine this is correct.

Do faculty interviews have more weight than student interviews? I'd imagine this is correct.
I would say this probably varies from school to school. At one of my interviews where there was two separate interviewers, some people said they had both a faculty member for one and a student for the other, whereas I had two different faculty members.

If it truly is a committee and they all meet afterwards I’d assume a faculty member who had a reputation at the school and amongst their peers would have a better argument to admit or deny a student.

If it’s like a they send their notes to the ADCOM thing that reputation factor would still be at play but probably not as much.

do prematches start coming out a few minutes after 11:59 PM tonight? (10/14 11:59PM)

do prematches start coming out a few minutes after 11:59 PM tonight? (10/14 11:59PM)

71OniRgBYHL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

None of the schools did a "midnight reveal" last year.
I like to answer questions on Texas schools, but I can't help with any that require me to predict the future!
Share your news whenever you get it, y'all.
The best place to share is on the individual school threads.

Wysdoc

Reactions: 2 users
Commenting on the OOS bias towards Texans - it may exist. I studied in the Northeast so I have had some success with AMCAS schools up there but have heard nothing from the rest of the country apart from WashU.

Now quick question and I apologize if this has been asked, but how are PreMatch offers communicated? Email? Phone Call? TMDSAS website?

Commenting on the OOS bias towards Texans - it may exist. I studied in the Northeast so I have had some success with AMCAS schools up there but have heard nothing from the rest of the country apart from WashU.

Now quick question and I apologize if this has been asked, but how are PreMatch offers communicated? Email? Phone Call? TMDSAS website?
This is very interesting. I've gotten more interviews from OOS schools than Texas. I was definitely a bit surprised. I also went to undergrad in New England and have moved all over so I kind of have ties to a few places.

They will come to you via email.

View attachment 360641

None of the schools did a "midnight reveal" last year.
I like to answer questions on Texas schools, but I can't help with any that require me to predict the future!
Share your news whenever you get it, y'all.
The best place to share is on the individual school threads.

Wysdoc
that's my cue to sleep early tonight lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Historically speaking, has there been an influx of interview invites right after the 15th?

Historically speaking, has there been an influx of interview invites right after the 15th?

If you look at last years Republic of Texas thread the very first post by wysdoc has all the dates that IIs were sent out.

If you look at last years Republic of Texas thread the very first post by wysdoc has all the dates that IIs were sent out.
Thank you very much. Didn't know about that.

Baylor and Dell call then email. I believe that all others just email.

Am I the only one - despite SDN wisdom - still hoping for some midnight magic tonight!? My sleep schedule is way off because of some recent traveling I've done, so I'll be awake well after midnight anyway. Fingers crossed for a nice surprise in ye olde inbox!

Stephen Colbert Good Luck GIF

Reactions: 4 users
Alright late-night SDNers. Midnight is upon us! Let us know if you somehow were fortunate enough to get some suuuuper early action, lol!

I'll be back on schedule soon, but it's been a week of reeeeally late nights, and this was on PST. I will, however, now go and enjoy The Watcher on Netflix! See you all soon. Looking forward to the updates!

I’m watching Hulu and having to check every “ding!” of my email…. Then I see it’s just from SDN.

• Haha
I got an II to George Washington. When I was selecting OOS schools to apply to, I checked the US map on MSAR to see if the school had previously accepted Texas residents.

Oh No Shock GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Me every time email comes in but it’s just spam or bills.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
We had 6 proud SDN members announce their pre-match offers at Texas Tech Lubbock on Saturday the 15th.
Congratulations to all y'all!

Share your news on the individual school threads if you hear something on Monday!
I think a few more of the TMDSAS schools will join in with offers.

Reactions: 9 users
Happy Monday! May we all be blessed with some prematches and IIs this week!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just got a call from TAMU!!!! They said they’ll be calling folks early this afternoon and sending out an email in the later afternoon!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.