The Republic of Texas XXII: Because the Union Joined Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of posting a thread soon about how to succeed as a re-applicant. Advice #1 would be: do a post-game follow up with as many schools as possible, even there's no official file review program and even if you didn't get an interview. I've heard of a few matriculants who have done this as well with schools where they weren't accepted or interviewed. So, yes, at some schools.

Last year, after not hearing back in February I called all of the schools I applied to, some were helpful, many were not. Texas Tech -Lubbock, and UT-Houston both have formal programs to talk you. At UT-H the program was run by Dr. Kellaway (Director of Admissions), she gave general advice to the whole group that was scheduled for the day, then gave everyone an opportunity to talk to her one on one for about 30-45mins each. I found out about it on thier website last year around February, but can't find it now. Texas Tech program is on their website http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/admissions/ (about halfway down the page). I was a long way from Lubbock, so I talked to someone (Assistant Director of Admissions) on the phone about my application for about an hour.

Both were very helpful and apparently it worked: last year 1 interview, 0 offers; this year 6 interviews, 1 offer so far.

IF YOU DO NOT GET IN THIS YEAR, DO NOT WASTE AN OPPORTUNITY TO TALK TO THE SCHOOLS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools that offered acceptances on november 14th want students to accept or decline by dec 5th. Most students accept all offered acceptances and make a choice by the jan 15th deadline
Aw gotcha. I guess depending on how you prioritized things, 2 weeks to decide could be a very short time.

So on the UTSW status page, my status has been "Interviewed" ever since I intereviewed, and has never changed to Under Review. I interviewed on the 18th of October so does that mean they still haven't reviewed me or if they have and I just wasn't given an initial pre-match acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prayers can be answered!!!!!!! Just found out I will be receiving an interview from A&M! Even though it is late in the season, I am so thankful for just the opportunity to inteview. This has renewed my faith in my favorite phrase...."NEVER GIVE UP!"

Prayers can be answered!!!!!!! Just found out I will be receiving an interview from A&M! Even though it is late in the season, I am so thankful for just the opportunity to inteview. This has renewed my faith in my favorite phrase...."NEVER GIVE UP!"

That's so awesome! Congrats!

NICE!

Now get that acceptance.

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Buenos dias, Tejas :)
Hola, pero ahora yo no estoy en este estado...

Congrats and GOOD LUCK!:luck:

Eh, just hurry up and cancel the rest of your interviews, settle into UTSW already :)

Yo no puedo hacerlo porque you quiero ver el mundo y las escuelas medicales que son demasiado diferentes... Oh wow, I forgot Spanish. I apologize in advance if I offended someone...

Yo no puedo hacerlo porque you quiero ver el mundo y las escuelas medicales que son demasiado diferentes... Oh wow, I forgot Spanish. I apologize in advance if I offended someone...
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be picking it back up in, oh, 9 months.

Lol, "yo?" Also, I'm pretty sure "que" is supposed to be made plural for multiple medical schools.

It's all good... I'm half-Mexican, and I struggle with it when I don't use it very often :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to all of you! I've been reading these forums for quite some time, but this is the first time I've actually posted anything.

I've been told that you can test out of taking Biochem at UTHSCSA during first year. Does anyone know what kind of test you have to take? Is it like CLEP? Does anyone know anybody who has done this? I'm trying to figure out how much preparation I need.

Thanks!

Hello to all of you! I've been reading these forums for quite some time, but this is the first time I've actually posted anything.

I've been told that you can test out of taking Biochem at UTHSCSA during first year. Does anyone know what kind of test you have to take? Is it like CLEP? Does anyone know anybody who has done this? I'm trying to figure out how much preparation I need.

Thanks!

I've heard this is extremely rare- like, someone who has a PhD in Biochem might be able to test out of it.

My understanding is that taking undergrad biochem makes you look like a rockstar up until, say, the second module, where you quickly learn that there is a lot more to the subject. I'd imagine this is even more true at UTHSCSA, since they recently made biochem a required pre-req; aka, you won't learn in undergrad what you would learn in this med school class.

I've heard this is extremely rare- like, someone who has a PhD in Biochem might be able to test out of it.

My understanding is that taking undergrad biochem makes you look like a rockstar up until, say, the second module, where you quickly learn that there is a lot more to the subject. I'd imagine this is even more true at UTHSCSA, since they recently made biochem a required pre-req; aka, you won't learn in undergrad what you would learn in this med school class.

I've heard of a number of students being able to test out of it, so I figure there's no harm in trying. I'm using the Kaplam USMLE Biochem prep to study for it and thinking of auditing a biochem class to really solidify it. It can't be that hard, can it?:laugh:

Ok, I've been trolling the other threads for info on this and I found the following in a UTHSCSA Class of 2012 forum:

"We were given the options of testing out of physiology. Physiology doesn't actually start off right away. It started up second module. The course director will send out info if anyone is interested in taking the exemption test around the start of Aug. You have to make a 75 on the test to qualify for the exemption.

Biochemistry was the other course you can try to test out of too. I'm not sure how many in our class attempted it, but I student was able to test out of biochem which I hear is not common. This test is given before school starts. "

:eek:

I still don't understand why schools require biochem. For all of you out there worried about being able to get through med school biochem having never had it before: DON'T. I didn't even touch biochem in undergrad, I had the same worries as all of you, and I'm doing just fine.

Has anyone gotten their UTMB letter in the mail yet? Also everyone still have the "you do not have multiple offers" blinking line in their applicant status?

I still don't understand why schools require biochem. For all of you out there worried about being able to get through med school biochem having never had it before: DON'T. I didn't even touch biochem in undergrad, I had the same worries as all of you, and I'm doing just fine.

UTHSCSA is the only school that requires biochem. All other schools just highly recommend it.

To be honest, it really depends on how the school teaches the material to you anyway. If your med school has an actual class called "biochem", it will definitely help you. However, for me, everything's integrated anyway such that you can pick up what you need without too much trouble.

mine still blinks

I wonder if they only list them at TMDSAS after we send the school back notification confirming that we accept the acceptance

Exactly. We have less than 10 lectures on it. I never took it, but taking undergrad biochem for med school seems like killing a roach with a sledge hammer. Really unnecessary, but enjoyable to those who are slightly disturbed.

Exactly. We have less than 10 lectures on it. I never took it, but taking undergrad biochem for med school seems like killing a roach with a sledge hammer. Really unnecessary, but enjoyable to those who are slightly disturbed.
Or majored in chemistry. Honestly, anything remotely medically relevant is a nice change of pace from physical chemistry (barf).

Or majored in chemistry. Honestly, anything remotely medically relevant is a nice change of pace from physical chemistry (barf).

I've heard the horror stories. There needs to be a special place in heaven for chem majors, and a special place in hell for chem profs....

Hilarious...and so true!

I've heard the horror stories. There needs to be a special place in heaven for chem majors, and a special place in hell for chem profs....

Im a PhD candidate in Chemistry - does that mean I have to go to purgatory?:scared:

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "Honk if you passed p chem"
My pchem I professor had that one. One of the nicest professors I had in college, God bless him, but I still to this day have no freaking clue what Hemholtz energy is. What a waste of six semester hours.

YAY! I'm so happy for you DRTLA. I don't post on here much, but I do keep up with it a lot. I've been rooting for ya. I'll cross my fingers that everything goes well and the school realizes they should have interviewed you a lot sooner! :luck:

YAY! I'm so happy for you DRTLA. I don't post on here much, but I do keep up with it a lot. I've been rooting for ya. I'll cross my fingers that everything goes well and the school realizes they should have interviewed you a lot sooner! :luck:

Thank you very much. I hope I give them a reason to think that too. I'm very excited for the opportunity. Thanks again for the support!

mine still blinks

I wonder if they only list them at TMDSAS after we send the school back notification confirming that we accept the acceptance

Some of my pre-match offers are showing up on TMDSAS.

Has anyone gotten their UTMB letter in the mail yet? Also everyone still have the "you do not have multiple offers" blinking line in their applicant status?

I have not received it yet and I'm waiting eagerly. Does anyone know what the letter says and if there is a deadline to accept the offer?

Anyone received Tech's or TCOM's letters as yet?

hello to all the 2008-2009 kids. just coming back to wish you all the best along the app cycle. congrats to everyone who has gotten a pre-match thus far. to those who haven't, just remember that the match and afterwards make for a lot of movement. i know people who have gotten into some of the better texas schools off the waitlist as late as june and july. if this is what you really want, and you plug away, everything will fall into place. and don't forget about the fact that there are a great many students like myself who go out of state and open up spots at multiple schools.

special shout out to army - i know a lot of people have been pulling for you, myself included. i knew it would eventually happen for you man. and i'm sure that, after it's all said and done, you'll have a few surprising options along the way and get the opportunity to chose exactly where you want to go.

again, congrats and best of luck all around, and god bless texas...

Anyone received Tech's or TCOM's letters as yet?

i received TCOM's today and i live in boston. haven't received anything from TTU-Lubbock or El-Paso. also, my three prematch offers are not showing up on TMDSAS.

and...is that really you in your pic? you look really really familiar.

Yeah that is me. Something about being from Boston sounds familiar. I think I might have met you at the TTU-El Paso interview...I think we stayed in the same hotel? Well, congrats on the pre-matches :thumbup: Do you have a top choice so far?

It seems odd that I don't have anything on TMDSAS from A&M and UTMB...is anyone else on the same boat as me?

It seems odd that I don't have anything on TMDSAS from A&M and UTMB...is anyone else on the same boat as me?
Your acceptances might be fakes. That happened to someone last year.

Just kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.