The Republic of Texas XXII: Because the Union Joined Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like competency and ability to perform in med school, and thus as a doctor, should be what they look for. I don't care how nice a doctor is, if I somehow found out that they had scored a 25 or 26 on the MCAT I'd be nervous.

ETA: UTHSCSA is known for their extremely egalitarian and PC admissions criteria. They are also the school who won't release their average board scores even when asked. :rolleyes:

well i mean, he was an interviewer. so my thought is that the people that were sitting across from him at the table were already deemed competent enough to be granted an interview.

and to be honest, i don't think you should be nervous about a 25/26 mcat score. people have told me over and over on the interview trail that once you get into med school, nobody cares about mcats anymore and the people who talk about them are just being obnoxious. after you're in, pivotal qualifier there, it's really all about the hard work that you do in school that will determine how good of a doctor you are.

Members don't see this ad.

23 days until school rankings are due and I can't decide between UTMB and UTH :(

maybe i'm mistaken but didn't you get into A&M too? Are you giving it up?

Habreed, I've talked to both Filo and a professor on the adcom and the professor said the first applications that get thrown out are the ones that appear cocky. The key being "appear." Medical school admissions are crazy. You can see that from these posts. Each school is looking for something slightly different, which is why it is so important for you as a student to find a school that you think fits you. I was also told in an interview that no matter where I go there will always be more for me to learn than I'll be able to. so whether you are in College station, El Paso, Houston, Lubbock, etc. the important thing is you ARE going to be a Doctor! Try to realize they aren't saying you aren't good enough, they are simply saying they think you'd fit in better at a different school in Texas.

I for one am going to pick my chin up and go to the school that thought I was a good match. Texas Tech Lubbock. It wasn't my first choice, but they obviously saw something in my application that they feel fits their school. Is it as prestigious as the others? not necessarily, but if they pre-matched me then chances are they pre-matched other people like me too.
(sorry if this was a long post)

Habreed, I've talked to both Filo and a professor on the adcom and the professor said the first applications that get thrown out are the ones that appear cocky. The key being "appear." Medical school admissions are crazy. You can see that from these posts. Each school is looking for something slightly different, which is why it is so important for you as a student to find a school that you think fits you. I was also told in an interview that no matter where I go there will always be more for me to learn than I'll be able to. so whether you are in College station, El Paso, Houston, Lubbock, etc. the important thing is you ARE going to be a Doctor! Try to realize they aren't saying you aren't good enough, they are simply saying they think you'd fit in better at a different school in Texas.

I for one am going to pick my chin up and go to the school that thought I was a good match. Texas Tech Lubbock. It wasn't my first choice, but they obviously saw something in my application that they feel fits their school. Is it as prestigious as the others? not necessarily, but if they pre-matched me then chances are they pre-matched other people like me too.

Very good post. You have a terrific attitude and are incredibly insightful. You will do well for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
you're probably right that i won't have to deal with adcom again, but a favorable impression is a favorable impression. adcoms know that folks that are interviewing are judging the school, and if they, their students, and their faculty put in the effort, it suggests something about their dedication to their school.

Not so much. Just my opinion though, and I see your point. Some salesmen are flashy, some are not. Neither type has anything to do with how well the car runs, nor will you see the salesman again after you buy it. Focus on the car. :luck:

as for the boards and not having met enough students, i have visited about a dozen schools throughout texas and the rest of the US, and nowhere have i felt more beaten over the head about board scores than at UTMB; it came from the students i met the night before, the tour guide, and even the morning presentation given by the dean. other than the standard "we are above the national average" schpeal at UTH I never heard a single thing about boards. again, like i stated, a minor quibble.

Ah, you mean boards as a recruitment tool. My bad. I thought you meant they were just discussing them in general. Yeah, they like to use that down here a lot. Schools try to focus on what they feel differentiates them from their competition, as you can probably guess. That's why you hear that harped on in Gtown. I can see where that could get annoying. Again, :luck:

My uncle was (is?) on the adcom for UTHCSA the year I applied. He told me a story about int'ing a guy from Stanford with a 43 MCAT. He came across as smug and kinda lazy. He rejected him just on that.

Of course, the kid probably went on to Harvard:laugh:.

My uncle was (is?) on the adcom for UTHCSA the year I applied. He told me a story about int'ing a guy from Stanford with a 43 MCAT. He came across as smug and kinda lazy. He rejected him just on that.

Of course, the kid probably went on to Harvard:laugh:.
Haha, yeah I doubt he was too upset to be turned down by UTSA. It amazes me that schools (especially mediocre ones) would turn down top candidates just because they don't meet some nebulous personality requirements.

Habreed, I've talked to both Filo and a professor on the adcom and the professor said the first applications that get thrown out are the ones that appear cocky. The key being "appear." Medical school admissions are crazy.

i think i encountered this during my interview. i am by no means a gunner applicant, but there's one particular aspect to my application that may lead one to think i might be cocky.
my second interviewer didn't seem to warm to me very well *until* i brought up a few things that most likely reveal a sense of humility towards this process. i'm starting to wonder if i would've been rejected otherwise.

^I think top schools do the same. The forums are full of stories of students with stellar GPA/MCAT scores that get rejected from all over. Or maybe the top candidates give crappy interview performances at "medicore schools." I think if my interviewers told me that I came across as smug and kinda lazy...well I'd conclude that I had a bad interview.

I think if my interviewers told me that I came across as smug and kinda lazy...well I'd conclude that I had a bad interview.

I had an interviewer say "it looks like you haven't done anything since you graduated." Accepted.

I did politely fill the interviewer in with the stuff that I've been doing though :D

Obviously that habeed guy is out of line with his attitude, but i don't think anyone here with stats comparable to a schools accepted applicants can say they don't feel the same way at times.

I've "only" been accepted to schools with numbers below mine. Am I really happy to be accepted? Without a doubt. I'm just happy im getting to go somewhere. At the same time though, and i can't be the only one, I feel like academically I may fit in at the school with higher stats.

Seems like competency and ability to perform in med school, and thus as a doctor, should be what they look for. I don't care how nice a doctor is, if I somehow found out that they had scored a 25 or 26 on the MCAT I'd be nervous.

Oh dear.....I hope all pre-meds aren't this ill-informed. Stats look good for SURE, but that does NOT mean you'll be a competent physician. I worked in a teaching hospital for seven years (RN) where I talked to many physicians in all specialties. Quite a few of them scored 24, 25, and 26 on the MCAT. And these were all top-notch doctors. Not to mention the fact that my husband is an MD who scored a 25 back in '98. He's now a very successful and accomplished anesthesiologist.

As you will hopefully have the opportunity to find out for yourself someday, it takes a hell of a lot more than high stats to equal a good and effective physician!

There's my .02! :)

Oh dear.....I hope all pre-meds aren't this ill-informed. Stats look good for SURE, but that does NOT mean you'll be a competent physician. I worked in a teaching hospital for seven years (RN) where I talked to many physicians in all specialties. Quite a few of them scored 24, 25, and 26 on the MCAT. And these were all top-notch doctors. Not to mention the fact that my husband is an MD who scored a 25 back in '98. He's now a very successful and accomplished anesthesiologist.

As you will hopefully have the opportunity to find out for yourself someday, it takes a hell of a lot more than high stats to equal a good and effective physician!

There's my .02! :)

Agree wholeheartedly; I'm glad to have my stats since I know they're likely what carried the day to my acceptances, but I constantly agonize over whether or not I'll be in over my head when I get to the clinical portion of the curriculum- I really wonder if some of my friends with lower stats but many more volunteer hours might be better equipped as a physician down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your MCAT score go on your residency application or just your USMLE Step 1 score???

I know at one school the students talked about that UG EC's could go on the application.

Agree wholeheartedly; I'm glad to have my stats since I know they're likely what carried the day to my acceptances, but I constantly agonize over whether or not I'll be in over my head when I get to the clinical portion of the curriculum- I really wonder if some of my friends with lower stats but many more volunteer hours might be better equipped as a physician down the road.

Doubt the extra volunteer work is what "stands" between you and being a good physician. The clinicals might prove to be more challenging for you than someone who HAS more clinical or shadowing experience....but don't let THAT stop you from excelling! (I always love a good challenge, myself!)

So long as you keep working hard and never allow yourself to think you GOT it......then you'll get it! LOL! Good luck to you!

Does your MCAT score go on your residency application or just your USMLE Step 1 score???

I know at one school the students talked about that UG EC's could go on the application.

No. Noone cares about your MCAT scores once you're in, let alone DONE with, medical school. They don't care about EC's then, for that matter, either. (this, from my MD-husband's mouth)

Thank God, right? ;)

No. Noone cares about your MCAT scores once you're in, let alone DONE with, medical school. They don't care about EC's then, for that matter, either. (this, from my MD-husband's mouth)

Thank God, right? ;)

For MCAT yes!!!

I don't have offers from either UTH or UTMB, but I just wanted to know for the Texas match ranking or whatever.

for the record, i don't go to UTH or UTMB. all i've got is my interviewing experiences, and the students that i've met at both of the schools.

you're probably right that i won't have to deal with adcom again, but a favorable impression is a favorable impression. adcoms know that folks that are interviewing are judging the school, and if they, their students, and their faculty put in the effort, it suggests something about their dedication to their school.

i don't think the issue is that i haven't met enough med students.. maybe i just didn't meet a lot of utmb med students other than the ones that i met while i was at my host. i think there were 2 at my table during lunch? and that was it.

as for the boards and not having met enough students, i have visited about a dozen schools throughout texas and the rest of the US, and nowhere have i felt more beaten over the head about board scores than at UTMB; it came from the students i met the night before, the tour guide, and even the morning presentation given by the dean. other than the standard "we are above the national average" schpeal at UTH I never heard a single thing about boards. again, like i stated, a minor quibble.

Granted, USMLE scores are one of the most important things for residency. Judging how badly I did on the MCAT, I hope that I become obsessed with doing good on the Step 1 'cuz I was the opposite of obsessive for the MCAT :)

I really really really liked TMC, and I am a city person, and UTH is so shiny! -- but UTMB's curriculum seems the most well designed in the state (less inefficiency), and I feel like I would appreciate the extra time in the day for self-study and integration.

Granted, USMLE scores are one of the most important things for residency. Judging how badly I did on the MCAT, I hope that I become obsessed with doing good on the Step 1 'cuz I was the opposite of obsessive for the MCAT :)

sometimes intention can get lost in the wonderful world of cyber text, so please understand this as a post of polite request--not an angry backfire :)

between you and me, we both know that a 33 is a comptetitive score... very competitive. you seem like a nice guy/girl, and i've enjoyed reading your posts recently... but, seriously, please don't groan about such a score--its insulting. :)

much love.

[then again perhaps you were being sarcastic? i don't have a great sense of humor, so instead i have a humor-o-meter that's supposed to tell me when others are joking... perhaps i need to turn it up a notch? :D ]

I like how people say that they wouldn't want to be treated by a doc who had a mid-20something on the MCAT.

Because, as we all know, the MCAT -- physics equations, organic syntheses, and Gibbs energy questions from good ol' genchem -- is the largest determining factor of a physician's clinical acumen. Makes perfect sense.

hey justdoit31:

how do you get your posts to sometimes have a signature and sometimes not?

[i saw a post of yours yesterday without the Tech c/of 2013 stuff at the bottom, and had thought maybe you had heard more news and changed your mind in another thread somewhere... but then i just now saw two posts of yours on the same page: one with and one without! ]

maybe im a stalker :D

hey justdoit31:

how do you get your posts to sometimes have a signature and sometimes not?

[i saw a post of yours yesterday without the Tech c/of 2013 stuff at the bottom, and had thought maybe you had heard more news and changed your mind in another thread somewhere... but then i just now saw two posts of yours on the same page: one with and one without! ]

maybe im a stalker :D

I had that same question before... Only your first post on the page gets the sig.... the next posts dont... but if you reply and you are on the next page, voila, you will have a sig again. Does this make sense.

We're well over 1,000 posts... someone make a new one. Just out of tradition.

From the end of the last thread:
bobsagat said:
Republic of Texas XXII: Our state can beat up your state
Republic of Texas XXII: Save a horse, ride a Texan
Republic of Texas XXII: Curing the nation of sissies since 1845
Republic of Texas XXII: NO income tax? NO problem!
I like number 1, personally, but you can have you pick of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.