The Republic of Texas XXIII: Our State Can Beat Up Your State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OOS doesn't participate in the match, right? So tonight, if I haven't put in my matches, I'm not going to be banned from Texas and TMDSAS forever, right? :scared: I just want to make sure that I don't offend the powers that be.... :D

Right. You'll be fine. For now.....

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you automatically get put on the wait list, but I guess you could be on the waitlist.

I see no reason why you couldn't withdraw from a waitlist. Once you match, you have that acceptance and that's where you're going, unless you get in off of a waitlist, so saying "take me off the waitlist" shouldn't affect what you already have.

I didn't know that not everyone will be on the waitlists for schools above their match offer.

Armybound, you will be going to UTH right? Do you know what commuters do about parking? Do they pay $10 daily or are there other options like parking somewhere and taking the rail for a short ride or monthly parking passes for students?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
@mgirl: yeah. You, me, and aggie should get together sometime and drink away this application year.

So should we be expecting match results to be available Friday, 01/30, or is it going to be a midnight release on Sunday, 02/01 like the website suggests? Who confirmed 01/30?

Here's my rank list, though since I've ranked my top pre-match #1 it won't affect anything.

1. UTSW (pre-match)
2. UTHSCSA (pre-match)
3. UTH
4. Texas Tech - Lubbock (pre-match)
5. Texas A&M (pre-match)
6. UTMB (pre-match)
7. Texas Tech - El Paso

Didn't apply to TCOM or Baylor

Here's my rank list, though since I've ranked my top pre-match #1 it won't affect anything.

1. UTSW (pre-match)
2. UTHSCSA (pre-match)

3. UTH
5. Texas A&M (pre-match)
6. UTMB (pre-match)

7. Texas Tech - El Paso

Bet it felt good typing that. :thumbup:

Wait who said it's Jan 30? Is it really or was that just hoping?

Aggie, exi...I'm deading it too...like reallllllly dreading. I just have a horrible feeling about the whole thing. :scared:

oh, wait... i had thought you said jan 31 in your last post... and so i was talking about that, and had completely forgotten about the discussion about the match coming out early because feb1 is on a weekend....

so entirely ignore my earlier post... waaaaaaaayyyyyy long blond moment. my bad.

as for me: i'm gonna keep my mouth shut and start wishful thinking for a jan 25 match date. :D

@mgirl: yeah. You, me, and aggie should get together sometime and drink away this application year.

That is an excellent idea. How's February 1st at 12:02am sound??? :rolleyes:

I didn't know that not everyone will be on the waitlists for schools above their match offer.

Armybound, you will be going to UTH right? Do you know what commuters do about parking? Do they pay $10 daily or are there other options like parking somewhere and taking the rail for a short ride or monthly parking passes for students?

Thanks
I don't have a clue what commuters do about parking, sorry. I imagine park & ride would be common. I didn't see a whole lot of parking really close to the school, though since it's a medical center I imagine there are several parking garages somewhere nearby.

so, maybe i'm mistaken, but from last year's thread it looks like their match "time" was 5:00 pm on jan 31st. Can anyone confirm? If so...why so early?

premedico - i worked in the med center for a few months and many people commuted via parking in assigned park/ride lots and taking the rail or a bus from their lot to the med center. I know a med student that lived close enough he biked. The bus system is also pretty reliable (i used it everyday). You can buy monthly passes & parking spots too. I don't think anyone pays 10 bucks a day so don't worry. ;) my unlimited bus pass was 31 bucks for a month and it includes the rail. I think parking was more like 60 bucks a month or something.... could be wrong though.

I don't have a clue what commuters do about parking, sorry. I imagine park & ride would be common. I didn't see a whole lot of parking really close to the school, though since it's a medical center I imagine there are several parking garages somewhere nearby.

There is a park and ride lot a few blocks from the med center, close to my apartment actually. You can then take the rail from there.

I think Baylor has some satellite lots as well. There is a shuttle that picks up and drops off at the med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if you can reject a pre-match and still rank them in the match? like to be put on a waitlist or something? I have 1 school I'm interested in going to if something changes, but I don't know how I could be put on the waitlist if i get and reject a pre-match. I wonder if I could contact them after the match and say "put me on your waitlist pls??" :D

does anyone know if you can reject a pre-match and still rank them in the match? like to be put on a waitlist or something? I have 1 school I'm interested in going to if something changes, but I don't know how I could be put on the waitlist if i get and reject a pre-match. I wonder if I could contact them after the match and say "put me on your waitlist pls??" :D

:laugh:Haha, I sincerely doubt it, but I don't technically know.:luck:

Nope, not everyone gets on the waitlist...not even close. Some are about 50 or so long, UTMB's was about 200 last year.:luck:

1. UTSW (pre-match)
2. UTHSCSA (pre-match)
3. UTH
5. Texas A&M (pre-match)
6. UTMB (pre-match)
7. Texas Tech - El Paso

Suuuuupastar! What exactly did you wear to these int's:p?

yeah, i knew i was inviting hate as soon as i posted that. I almost wish pre-match didn't exist, or that we could keep acceptances longer. i am just wondering if TMDSAS schools are willing to look at you again after you reject a prematch (if you contact them and talk to them about your situation and reason for rejecting the prematch) such as putting you at the top (or somewhere) of their waitlist.

it says to list all schools you have not either declined a pre-match offer from or have not officially withdrawn from

I doubt it makes a difference, but I'm going to list them anyway.

I understand now. I went ahead and withdrew from the only school I didn't pre-match to or that isn't above my pre-match in my rank list. My withdrawal was acknowledged so I guess I can safely leave the school off of my rank list, right?

Am I the only one who is getting paranoid about not having filled in the TMDSAS formalities correctly?

I understand now. I went ahead and withdrew from the only school I didn't pre-match to or that isn't above my pre-match in my rank list. My withdrawal was acknowledged so I guess I can safely leave the school off of my rank list, right?

Am I the only one who is getting paranoid about not having filled in the TMDSAS formalities correctly?

I think we'll all be fine no matter what we do... as long as the TMDSAS system isn't total crap.

There are a lot of parking garages/lots in the medical center, but the monthly rates are quite expensive. I believe the cheapest ones are $60/month. Some students that commute in my class find random places to park like near some apartments such as Lanesborough, and then they ride the rail from there. I've also heard of some people parking near the zoo, but I don't exactly know where. I also know of some students that park in large parking lots such as the ones in front of grocery stores, and then take one of the Metro buses to school.

There are a lot of parking garages/lots in the medical center, but the monthly rates are quite expensive. I believe the cheapest ones are $60/month. Some students that commute in my class find random places to park like near some apartments such as Lanesborough, and then they ride the rail from there. I've also heard of some people parking near the zoo, but I don't exactly know where. I also know of some students that park in large parking lots such as the ones in front of grocery stores, and then take one of the Metro buses to school.

None of those options sound too appealing

NO, I AM!!!!! :scared:

ps. did you interview at el paso on sept 4th, briton?

So have many of you been accepted at UTSW already but you are ranking someplace else higher? Where and why? I ask because I really didn't get that great of an impression from UTSW, but I keep seeing everyone putting it first. *Confused* Does this just have to do with their school rank?

So have many of you been accepted at UTSW already but you are ranking someplace else higher? Where and why? I ask because I really didn't get that great of an impression from UTSW, but I keep seeing everyone putting it first. *Confused* Does this just have to do with their school rank?

Scroll back a couple of pages; we had this discussion yesterday :p

Essentially, I felt that UTSW has by far the best research facilities of any Texas school; there are other factors, but that is the biggest thing UTSW has in its favor. If that's not important to you as a med student, then another school may be a better "fit" for you.

*Confused* Does this just have to do with their school rank?
Most likely. I wasn't impressed either and am accepting another offer.

Oops- sorry guys! I always try to keep up with the conversation, but today I've been kind of distracted (obviously... match!). I'll look back and read everything. Thanks :)

Scroll back a couple of pages; we had this discussion yesterday :p

Essentially, I felt that UTSW has by far the best research facilities of any Texas school; there are other factors, but that is the biggest thing UTSW has in its favor. If that's not important to you as a med student, then another school may be a better "fit" for you.

I can't believe you are passing up a full ride. That would be VERY tough for me to do. I bet that was a tough decision.

I can't believe you are passing up a full ride. That would be VERY tough for me to do. I bet that was a tough decision.

It was. I actually loved Foster while I was there, and unlike most, I have little apprehension about being the "guinnea pig" class- they really convinced me that they're on top of things. The deal-breaker for me was that the distance from El Paso to San Antonio (where I have my girlfriend and pretty much my entire family) was too great; I have no illusions that I'll get to head home for weekends while in med school, but I am hopeful that my girlfriend and family might be able to come see ME in Houston (or Dallas, if I do get into UTSW after all) every now and then. My family's always been really important to me, and I had to factor that into the calculation; if it takes me another year to pay back my debt so that I don't go crazy while I'm in med school, I'll do it.

It was. I actually loved Foster while I was there, and unlike most, I have little apprehension about being the "guinnea pig" class- they really convinced me that they're on top of things. The deal-breaker for me was that the distance from El Paso to San Antonio (where I have my girlfriend and pretty much my entire family) was too great; I have no illusions that I'll get to head home for weekends while in med school, but I am hopeful that my girlfriend and family might be able to come see ME in Houston (or Dallas, if I do get into UTSW after all) every now and then. My family's always been really important to me, and I had to factor that into the calculation; if it takes me another year to pay back my debt so that I don't go crazy while I'm in med school, I'll do it.

:thumbup:

This is the essence of what choosing your school should be when you have several options - decide based on what's important to YOU, not people on this forum or anywhere else.

Money, family, location, research, rank - whatever makes you happy is what you should choose based on.

Rank these for me:

Tech - UTMB (pre-match)

I have been back and forth soooooo many times. I think I may just turn both of them down and retake MCAT and go for UTSW/ other OOS next year, seeing as how I only applied completely to UTMB, Tech, and San Antonio...ugh...

How should I rank them...4 hours.

I agree. DRTLA, when's the baby due? How's that going? Guess it's easier now that you're not stressed out over the match.

Rank these for me:

Tech - UTMB (pre-match)

I have been back and forth soooooo many times. I think I may just turn both of them down and retake MCAT and go for UTSW/ other OOS next year, seeing as how I only applied completely to UTMB, Tech, and San Antonio...ugh...

Well, for me, I pre-matched to Tech...but not the other two. My rank is:

1. UTHSCSA
2. UTMB
3. Tech

Rank these for me:

Tech - UTMB (pre-match)

I interviewed at both and I can't think of one way that Tech is better than UTMB.

Rank these for me:

Tech - UTMB (pre-match)

If you turn down an offer and reapply next year I am going to hunt you down and beat you!!!! Don't do that to yourself!!! Please, as someone who hasn't heard a thing, that hurts my heart! :)

And I would definitely go w/ UTMB. But I didn't interview at Tech, and I'm an Aggie, so my thoughts are skewed. :laugh:

Accepted to Foster, TCOM, A&M and UTMB.

Foster=Full Ride
A&M=Half tuition.

Choosing Foster...Am I crazy?

No one will be able to say with any certainty. Based on what I saw of Foster and El Paso during my interview, I wouldn't have chosen it even with a full scholarship, but I think it could be a decent gamble.

Accepted to Foster, TCOM, A&M and UTMB.

Foster=Full Ride
A&M=Half tuition.

Only if you didn't like the school. If you liked it and won't have any debt, pretty hard to label you as crazy. But then again, I'm just a high school teacher (at least for now!)

two and a half hours... any last minute changes?

two and a half hours... any last minute changes?
Mine changes just about every minute now haha. Anyone want to give a last second pro/con list for UTHSCSA? Part of me says yes, but then the other part of me says no. The way they do their testing (like a gaggle of tests every 5 or so weeks IIRC) is the one thing that's giving me pause. I just don't know if I want that, but everything else is so attractive. Arrgh. Speaking of which, does UTHSCSA fill a lot thru Match anyway?

Rank these for me:

Tech - UTMB (pre-match)

beware, many schools ask if you have been accepted to a medical school before and can hold it against you.

Rank these for me:

Tech - UTMB (pre-match)

Pick one. DO NOT DECLINE BOTH. U can then apply for a transfer after one year of proving urself in med school.

Pick one. DO NOT DECLINE BOTH. U can then apply for a transfer after one year of proving urself in med school.
That's actually not entirely true. I agree that you SHOULD NOT decline both of them, but transferring to a different school is much much tougher in med school than it is in undergrad. Considering schools have curricula that come in very different orders and have some slightly varying demands of their students I don't see how that would work.

If you have been accepted, you should not turn down the offers, PERIOD. There's a spot on the AMCAS and on the TMDSAS that asks if you've been accepted anywhere before. If you say yes, you may be viewed as the type that is only interested in prestige, and it'll count strongly against your application. If you want to be a doctor so much, why in the world re-apply like that?

I think if you choose "Decline" for one of the schools that you pre-matched to on the "Choose Medical School Pre-Match Offers" site, then you've officially declined their offer.

So say if UTH is your number one choice, you would "Accept" their offer on that page and "Decline" all other offers. Then, all you have to do is go to the "Enter Medical School Preferences" site and fill in UTH for your number one choice and leave everything else blank.

Can we just decline on TMDSAS, or do we have to email the school or other form of formal writing to school to decline other offers?
There's 1 hour 38 minutes more and i'm tired and sleepy after a long day. I can't come up with a decent letter of rejection.

you can only transfer after M2 (when everyone is the same because they have all passed step 2), and its still very hard to do. a friend transferred to UTHSCSA and said there were 5 applicants and he was the only one that got accepted.

Can we just decline on TMDSAS, or do we have to email the school or other form of formal writing to school to decline other offers?
There's 1 hour 38 minutes more and i'm tired and sleepy after a long day. I can't come up with a decent letter of rejection.

I'm sure doing it through the system will suffice but as a courtesy to the schools for offering me a spot in their class, I'm writing each of the ones I turn down an email thanking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.