The Republic of Texas XXIII: Our State Can Beat Up Your State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you can only transfer after M2 (when everyone is the same because they have all passed step 2), and its still very hard to do. a friend transferred to UTHSCSA and said there were 5 applicants and he was the only one that got accepted.

Well then,if i were the OP, i would pick one and make the best out of it. I've come to the conclusion that all texas schools are good. if u don't get into #1, u can still be happy at #4. Four years goes by very fast. u'll be out soon enough.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure doing it through the system will suffice but as a courtesy to the schools for offering me a spot in their class, I'm writing each of the ones I turn down an email thanking them.

I want to do that too, but i'll have a clearer head tomorrow am. I hope it won't be too late. It's funny, but i felt bad doing the rejections. I think because i had such pleasant interactions at the interviews, i felt like i was letting them down by saying no. Oh well, ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Im glad to hear alot of people turning down alot of options... That means more spots for the match...It was pretty dissapointing hearing that less than 200 people matched in 2007 who didnt already have offers.

I want to do that too, but i'll have a clearer head tomorrow am. I hope it won't be too late. It's funny, but i felt bad doing the rejections. I think because i had such pleasant interactions at the interviews, i felt like i was letting them down by saying no. Oh well, ...

I feel the same way! I didn't want to tell Foster that I was rejecting them, because they actually had maybe the nicest faculty of all the places I was at. :(

Again, remember that 2007 was the first year with pre-matches, and schools way over-accepted with pre-matches that year. This year should be better.
Didn't Mullie say after A&M sent out that last batch of pre-match offers that they will be taking very few in the match?

So when will the actual match take place. Will the computers match it up tonight and we just wont know the result until 2/1 ?

Alright it's official, we're locked in :)

Didn't Mullie say after A&M sent out that last batch of pre-match offers that they will be taking very few in the match?

This may be the case at A&M, but not necessarily so at other schools (for example, of course, look at Houston).

utjsm08 said:
So when will the actual match take place. Will the computers match it up tonight and we just wont know the result until 2/1

I don't think the schools actually make their match lists until probably next week (I'd imagine). Not sure when it'll "actually" happen.

No, schools make their rank list today, just like us.

I kept wavering with my list until the very end, but I left it how I originally made it. I am leaving it up to the universe now, I trust the cosmic energy will do me right.

No, schools make their rank list today, just like us.

I kept wavering with my list until the very end, but I left it how I originally made it. I am leaving it up to the universe now, I trust the cosmic energy will do me right.

Hmmm. Well that seems dumb. I guess it gives schools time to get their waitlists in order.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright it's official, we're locked in :)

what do you mean by 'locked in'?

just as in it's after midnight? or did you're tmdsas page actually change in some way?
(mine still looks exactly the same with the option boxes and everything... i haven't actually tried to change it though)

ah paranoia!!!!

just as in it's after midnight? or did you're tmdsas page actually change in some way?
(mine still looks exactly the same with the option boxes and everything... i haven't actually tried to change it though)

ah paranoia!!!!

Just that it's after midnight... I assumed that we were "locked in" at this point...

ah paranoia!!!!
Last year people could still make changes for a couple days after the 15th. Some people who didn't rank even got emails after the 15th telling them they needed to rank the schools. Most likely we could still make changes for at least the next couple days.

Last year people could still make changes for a couple days after the 15th. Some people who didn't rank even got emails after the 15th telling them they needed to rank the schools. Most likely we could still make changes for at least the next couple days.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

ah paranoia!!!!

My match page hasn't changed either. However, my prematch selection page has been locked in.

Yeah that's why they have the two week buffer, for schools to sort through whatever spots they have open and for people that forgot about the match.

I'm sure doing it through the system will suffice but as a courtesy to the schools for offering me a spot in their class, I'm writing each of the ones I turn down an email thanking them.

Who did u send email to? director of admissions?

Who did u send email to? director of admissions?

Most schools have an "Admissions" email address that usually goes to the director or coordinator, or you can email the director/coordinator directly. I had a response from each one within 30 minutes (usually from the director of admissions) acknowledging that I had withdrawn.

I agree. DRTLA, when's the baby due? How's that going? Guess it's easier now that you're not stressed out over the match.

Everything is going great! The baby is due April 2nd. I'm about to start working on the nursery this weekend. I am going to put up a chair rail and paint I think.

Yes, you are right. I am very relieved to have a picture of what my life will look like for the next four years (and beyond actually). I am just a little apprehensive about losing my income, having a baby, going to school, etc. We will make it work though...it will be a good story to tell the little guy when he gets older.

Good luck to everyone waiting on the 1st. It would be great if it all worked out for everyone.

Most schools have an "Admissions" email address that usually goes to the director or coordinator, or you can email the director/coordinator directly. I had a response from each one within 30 minutes (usually from the director of admissions) acknowledging that I had withdrawn.

must be a slow day today then. I emailed the directors of admissions two hours ago. No response. but anyway it's done, and i feel like I've done the right thing by thanking them for choosing me, whether they respond or not.

Actually, the first email i sent, then i realised i did not actually say i was declining. LOL. I had to resend it with that statement included.

Everything is going great! The baby is due April 2nd. I'm about to start working on the nursery this weekend. I am going to put up a chair rail and paint I think.

Yes, you are right. I am very relieved to have a picture of what my life will look like for the next four years (and beyond actually). I am just a little apprehensive about losing my income, having a baby, going to school, etc. We will make it work though...it will be a good story to tell the little guy when he gets older.

Good luck to everyone waiting on the 1st. It would be great if it all worked out for everyone.

That's cool. You'll get some good quality time and hopefully he'll be sleeping through the night by the time school starts. You'll make it work. My boy will be about a year and a half when school starts. Kind of weird... I've been a teacher for ten years and my son will never now me as that.

Good luck to everyone as well. Hope we all end up at a place that makes us happy!

Yeah, I don't know, I sent Linda Prado an email declining a while ago and never got a confirmation, so whatever.

Unless one is a stellar applicant, I don't think the schools are exactly disappointed to lose them. They send out way more admission offers than they could take, so if people didn't turn them down they'd be upset! I don't think a personal email is required or even desired usually.

I sent the email to the people that usually corresponds with us from each school.

Tech-Lubbock - Linda Prado
Texas A&M - Filo
UTH - Dr. Kellaway

Haha I know forgetting about the Match is a stretch. :p
Perhaps they prematched into their top school and got lazy. There could also be some people that messed up their rankings and urgently want last minute changes? I'm just theorizing, otherwise the two week wait until Match is stupid.

22304 minutes

wow- if I had to do match just thinking about how many minutes would make me go psycho!

Good luck to all the people waiting for match!

I sent the email to the people that usually corresponds with us from each school.

Tech-Lubbock - Linda Prado
Texas A&M - Filo
UTH - Dr. Kellaway

Haha I know forgetting about the Match is a stretch. :p
Perhaps they prematched into their top school and got lazy. There could also be some people that messed up their rankings and urgently want last minute changes? I'm just theorizing, otherwise the two week wait until Match is stupid.
Maybe not anyone neurotic enough to make a SDN account or pay attention to this webpage a lot, but I'm sure there are some people out there applying who are completely clueless about this whole match business. I'm sure it's a buffer period to allow everyone to get all their ducks in a row.

Unless one is a stellar applicant, I don't think the schools are exactly disappointed to lose them. They send out way more admission offers than they could take, so if people didn't turn them down they'd be upset! I don't think a personal email is required or even desired usually.

Yeah, well, I AM a stellar applicant, ok :rolleyes:

You two missed the point of my post. Read it again but this time without emotion.

Rudeness.

They wouldn't have offered you admission if they didn't feel you were a stellar applicant in the first place. Just like you probably sent a thank you card to your interviewers it's simply a professional courtesy to send a declination of their offer of acceptance. I hope they teach professionalism at UTMB.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting for the match!:D
:luck::xf::luck:
:xf::luck::xf:
:luck::xf::luck:

Rudeness.

They wouldn't have offered you admission if they didn't feel you were a stellar applicant in the first place. Just like you probably sent a thank you card to your interviewers it's simply a professional courtesy to send a declination of their offer of acceptance. I hope they teach professionalism at UTMB.
Wow, my posting was very misunderstood apparently. By stellar applicant I meant along the lines of 35+ MCAT and 3.9+ GPA. The schools send out many more acceptances than they can take. If someone with a 30 MCAT withdraws their acceptance, they won't be disappointed because that will either help them get down to the correct class size or they will just replace them if they are below their desired class size.

Bottom line: A personal email to the schools is not necessary and they aren't going to have their feelings hurt if someone declines their offer without an email.

Edit: A thank you card to interviewers?? I think that might be a little transparent.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the norm but I've gotten replies back from my declinations asking why I declined.

and how is a thank you letter transparent? its good manners.

Wow, my posting was very misunderstood apparently. By stellar applicant I meant along the lines of 35+ MCAT and 3.9+ GPA. The schools send out many more acceptances than they can take. If someone with a 30 MCAT withdraws their acceptance, they won't be disappointed because that will either help them get down to the correct class size or they will just replace them if they are below their desired class size.

Bottom line: A personal email to the schools is not necessary and they aren't going to have their feelings hurt if someone declines their offer without an email.

Edit: A thank you card to interviewers?? I think that might be a little transparent.
I think you're trying to say that, at least in terms of give-and-take between the school and applicant, the school does not lose anything when the applicant declines, so the applicant doesn't "owe" the school anything. The corollary is that if the school did lose something, the applicant might actually "owe" something..

But do you think that a thank you card or a letter of declaration stating how grateful the applicant is would be sufficient to repay that "debt"? Or that such a letter could repair any "damage" caused by the applicant not accepting their offer. The utility, then, of this letter or card is not really for the school, but rather the applicants own sake.

I am terribly bored =/

so, in entirely unrelated matters...has anyone been slightly turned off by a school based on classmates you would have that you meet on sdn?

so, in entirely unrelated matters...has anyone been slightly turned off by a school based on classmates you would have that you meet on sdn?

:laugh::D:laugh:

Apparently someone on this thread does not like me... They told me
I'm from the Texas thread, and of all the people there I have to say you are the MOST annoying and the least likely person I'd want to be classmates with. Quit acting like a paranoid baby, and really, please stay in California. Thanks.

I am still not sure who this is from...The IP address is supposedly from San Antonio...

not you, the guy who sent you the message

Yes! Two great reasons not to go to Tech on here! :D

I think you're trying to say that, at least in terms of give-and-take between the school and applicant, the school does not lose anything when the applicant declines, so the applicant doesn't "owe" the school anything. The corollary is that if the school did lose something, the applicant might actually "owe" something..

But do you think that a thank you card or a letter of declaration stating how grateful the applicant is would be sufficient to repay that "debt"? Or that such a letter could repair any "damage" caused by the applicant not accepting their offer. The utility, then, of this letter or card is not really for the school, but rather the applicants own sake.

I am terribly bored =/

Yes, your first paragraph is exactly what I meant.

I'm bored too. Hopefully August comes quickly.

Apparently someone on this thread does not like me... They told me

I am still not sure who this is from...The IP address is supposedly from San Antonio...

Yeah I used to get them on my MDApps, and then when I got in, they STILL posted stuff about how my friends from this thread wouldn't get in. I just banned the IP; don't have to worry anymore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.