The Republic of Texas XXIII: Our State Can Beat Up Your State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I used to get them on my MDApps, and then when I got in, they STILL posted stuff about how my friends from this thread wouldn't get in. I just banned the IP; don't have to worry anymore :)

It was from San Antonio... Was it you Spurs? Where were you on the night of the 22 of Februcember?:p

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this is the norm but I've gotten replies back from my declinations asking why I declined.

and how is a thank you letter transparent? its good manners.

I'm sure they're just trying to get feedback to improve next's year's recruiting. I kinda had a feeling they would do this so I preempted them by giving the reason in the email. :)

And yeah, disparaging comments on MDApps is the norm. I would be surprised if someone didn't get any.

And yeah, disparaging comments on MDApps is the norm. I would be surprised if someone didn't get any.

sniff-sniff, i don't have any... i'm so uncool that i don't even have mean comments.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was from San Antonio... Was it you Spurs? Where were you on the night of the 22 of Februcember?:p

I don't remember specifically... but if it was over the break, I was probably out drinking (hence why I dropped off the face of the earth for about a month):D

Also to add my two cents on the declining offers emails... I know that they're not something that the schools care about that much or something that I enjoy doing, but it's just one of those etiquette things to me. Again, kinda like thank you notes- the person writing them doesn't want to write them, and the person getting them doesn't really want to get them since they'll probably get trashed, but they both accept the absurd societal etiquette.

so, in entirely unrelated matters...has anyone been slightly turned off by a school based on classmates you would have that you meet on sdn?
yes

and I've been really attracted to a school because of other potential classmates.

sucks that I had to turn that acceptance down.

yes

and I've been really attracted to a school because of other potential classmates.

sucks that I had to turn that acceptance down.

yeah, i'd have to agree: just based on sdn alone, i think A&M would be the top choice.

there are so many of them in various parts of medical education career that are laid back, friendly, and genuinely care about helpin' out those who make the same trek behind them.

I think someone out there has managed to turn it into a bit of a cottage industry.

sniff-sniff, i don't have any... i'm so uncool that i don't even have mean comments.

Don't feel bad, mine's been on here even longer and I've gotten 1 solitary comment. Guess ours isn't as "happenin'" as Aggie's.:rolleyes:

Hmm....I'll catch yours up in a minute.

yeah, i'd have to agree: just based on sdn alone, i think A&M would be the top choice.

there are so many of them in various parts of medical education career that are laid back, friendly, and genuinely care about helpin' out those who make the same trek behind them.

WTFudge? Glad I'm not in school anymore...there'd be a whoopin' comin' on. Ironically by a non-Aggie.

unless one is a stellar applicant, i don't think the schools are exactly disappointed to lose them. They send out way more admission offers than they could take, so if people didn't turn them down they'd be upset! I don't think a personal email is required or even desired usually.

lol!

Members don't see this ad :)

I would have to agree with this statement.

Unfortunately, A&M didn't want to have anything to do with me this year, haha; in all fairness, I didn't finish the secondary application, so I suppose it's my fault. :laugh:

This whole match thing is killing me, by the way. I want to get it all over with.

For the people who sent personal emails to decline pre-match offers, did the schools not have hard copy forms that you had to mail back accepting/declining their offers, or did you send the personal emails in addition to the forms?

And what more stringent criterion exists? You want to come to A&M...you don't want to go to Tech...;)

For the people who sent personal emails to decline pre-match offers, did the schools not have hard copy forms that you had to mail back accepting/declining their offers, or did you send the personal emails in addition to the forms?

If by copy forms you mean the paperwork they sent you by snail mail then most people accepted all their offers when they got those because people still needed time to decide between schools. If you declined your offer way back then....I wouldn't send an email just to remind them you rejected them two months ago. :p

I accepted all my pre-matches (as advised) and then declined all but one yesterday.

If by copy forms you mean the paperwork they sent you by snail mail then most people accepted all their offers when they got those because people still needed time to decide between schools. If you declined your offer way back then....I wouldn't send an email just to remind them you rejected them two months ago. :p

Yeah, I declined all but one pre-match with the paper forms that came with the acceptance, but I didn't follow it up with an email. With all the talk around here about sending an email to be courteous, it made me wonder if people were declining via form and email. I know how much more it stings to get a rejection from a school via multiple means, so I didn't bother sending an email at the time :p

you have the best mdapps comments ever

exi has a dirty mouth

haha, I just went and read her mdapps...I'd have to agree. Man, there's some hateful people out there. And I too was a little taken aback by that comment from our "exi".

Thanks for the beer tips. From looking at the last few pages of the tx thread, I'd say a few might want to invest in a fine brew themselves.
Spaten Optimator:thumbup:
Dundee's Honey brown:thumbup:

And what more stringent criterion exists? You want to come to A&M...you don't want to go to Tech...;)

Well, you, Mullie, and of course cpa have represented A&M well. Hat's off to the sdn Aggs this year.

you win, sir

I'd have to second that motion haha.

And I too was a little taken aback by that comment from our "exi".

If you mean the one posted on the 6th (the ones preceding that are NOT mine), yeah, I'm a little frustrated about the little undesirables that run around posting crap on MDApps profiles. They used to do that to mine when I still had one, too. "You think you're an allstar because of such-and-such, big whoop", etc.

Screw that.

If you mean the one posted on the 6th (the ones preceding that are NOT mine), yeah, I'm a little frustrated about the little undesirables that run around posting crap on MDApps profiles. They used to do that to mine when I still had one, too. "You think you're an allstar because of such-and-such, big whoop", etc.

Screw that.
It would probably be better to ignore those types than to try and get "tough". That just further encourages them.

What's with the "my dear" you always use? :laugh:

Screw that.

Haha, no I meant the one on the 3rd. That's why I put your name in quotes. Then I continued down and read your uh...thoughts on them;). Hell I was fine with the tirade. The culprit has to be someone who lurks or posts in the tx thread a lot obviously....*looks around*. Let's hope they don't get in anywhere:thumbup:.

It would probably be better to ignore those types than to try and get "tough". That just further encourages them.

What's with the "my dear" you always use? :laugh:

I don't always use it, and I'm not being tough - especially on the internet, Serious Business™ though it may be.

It doesn't show on SDN - hat-tip to vBulletin censorship settings and my lack of interest in circumventing them - but I do tend to use four-letter words a bit, I guess. They act like *******s, I point them out as such. It's not a lack of vocabulary as much as it is my own annoyance.

I don't even say "my dear" THAT often, I don't think(?); just from time to time. Or "hun", that's okay. And "love" even though it's not often heard in Texas unless from a British national or a 13 year old girl trying to be trendy somehow. But guys who say "hey babe" or "hey baby" to half the girls they know? They need to be punched in the mouth. :D

I don't have a clue what commuters do about parking, sorry. I imagine park & ride would be common. I didn't see a whole lot of parking really close to the school, though since it's a medical center I imagine there are several parking garages somewhere nearby.

I don't know if someone answered this already, but I will put in my $.02

One option is to drive and park outside UT Housing. You can park on the street and walk to one of the shuttle stops.

Another option is the park and ride through the metro. you can park at one of their places and ride the rail. I don't know about costs for that and such

They also have "commuter" type remote parking at the med center and then you can ride their med center shuttle over to the school. It is relatively expensive, but if you're housing is that much cheaper than near school the cost might not matter.

Finally, there is the bus. You can check out metros routes. I think with student discount it is .50 each way.

Those are the biggest options I know of. There may be more, but I'm not sure.

So I just checked, and the match page is officially closed (the "Save" button was removed).

Figured I'd post this for anyone interested :p.

And while we're waiting for match day...

[youtube]x_iPvUWyzhE[/youtube]

They offered them Heineken? If any self-respecting alien species responds to that beacon, I'm afraid the Dutch may have sealed Earth's fate. BTW, I'm trying New Belgium's Abbey. That is some funky stuff. Don't believe I'll be buying that one again.

<<<---Puttin' on my Match avatar, in remebrance of year's past. This year will be different...I feel it.

Let's talk about how TMDSAS's website needs some SERIOUS upgrading. It's horrible. :thumbdown:

I guess you get what you pay for. :)

Is it the graphics/aesthetics that yall are mainly upset with? I ask because I find the website serves its function well.

Is it the graphics/aesthetics that yall are mainly upset with? I ask because I find the website serves its function well.
I'd have to agree with Sno here.

It's an ugly website, but it performs well enough. :D

It's a pretty solid website.

I can't stand, on the other hand, the University of Texas at Austin website. If you search for "Registration," it shows up as the 5th or 6th result below a lot of completely unrelated things. It's bloody difficult to find nearly anything you need. I hope any sites we have to use in med school are a little more intuitive.

I'd have to agree with Sno here.

It's an ugly website, but it performs well enough. :D

It works, but it doesn't work well. Limits on the number of characters and lines for essays are fine, but they couldn't program a text input field that didn't have character limits per line?

It works, but it doesn't work well. Limits on the number of characters and lines for essays are fine, but they couldn't program a text input field that didn't have character limits per line?

Yeah, I hated that. Talk about ridiculous.

I didn't think we really had to worry about making sure one had X number of characters per line. I was under the impression that the system did all the character-per-line formatting for us.

Didn't really run in to too much trouble once I got started, though it did initially have me thinking, "what the heck?!" :laugh:

or how about the fact that the number of characters per line permitted was 1 character less than what they said it was (79 vs 80 as stated). when i called TMDSAS to tell them about this the lady stated there was nothing they could do to fix it or change the instructions to reflect the true character limits.

It's a pretty solid website.

I can't stand, on the other hand, the University of Texas at Austin website. If you search for "Registration," it shows up as the 5th or 6th result below a lot of completely unrelated things. It's bloody difficult to find nearly anything you need. I hope any sites we have to use in med school are a little more intuitive.
it was much more intuitive before they changed the website a few yrs ago.

gunner.

gunner x2.
how is that gunner? I wrote all my essays in MSWord, and counted the characters to make sure it would fit the stated character limits listed by TMDSAS. lo and behold, it didn't. did you really type your essay directly into the TMDSAS box without writing it before in word?

I guess having a fiance in web development and programming has made me hyper-aware of good vs. bad websites. That website is a horrible eyesore.

Agreed.

how is that gunner? I wrote all my essays in MSWord, and counted the characters to make sure it would fit the stated character limits listed by TMDSAS. lo and behold, it didn't. did you really type your essay directly into the TMDSAS box without writing it before in word?

I think she was kidding.

I bet google doesn't even recognize TMDSAS as a website.

Incidentally, this may be a LITTLE early... but next page will be the last one for this thread as we approach 1k posts. New thread names? Do we want something match-themed? Or should we hold off on starting a new thread until, say, day of the match?

Incidentally, this may be a LITTLE early... but next page will be the last one for this thread as we approach 1k posts. New thread names? Do we want something match-themed? Or should we hold off on starting a new thread until, say, day of the match?

Not this again :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.