The Republic of Texas XXIII: Our State Can Beat Up Your State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The acceptance was dated December 18th. I did not receive any emails from them.

Do you mind telling us when you interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey im not sure if someone already posted about this but do we have to send our fall 08 grades to TMDSAS and if so is there a certain date they need it by. Thanks

hey im not sure if someone already posted about this but do we have to send our fall 08 grades to TMDSAS and if so is there a certain date they need it by. Thanks

You do have to at some point but so far I haven't seen a due date. I've decided not to send mine until after the match, but that choice was due to a poor grade I received this semester. If your grades are good and enhance your app, by all means send them in! Also, if you've been accepted already you could probably send them in too. Did you by any chance get that email from them "reminding" you to send in your transcripts??

You do have to at some point but so far I haven't seen a due date. I've decided not to send mine until after the match, but that choice was due to a poor grade I received this semester. If your grades are good and enhance your app, by all means send them in! Also, if you've been accepted already you could probably send them in too. Did you by any chance get that email from them "reminding" you to send in your transcripts??

I think if you have already been accepted you just need to send the school you will be going to final transcripts... that is what my letter from Tech said... which is good because I had to take 3 Incomplete grades this semester due to a medical emergency- so I don't have many grades in.

no i didnt get an email reminding me i was just wondering

I interviewed on November 17th.

Ok. I interviewed early in December. Hey, I have a question or two:
1)Did you notice how many out of staters there were? I was surprised by the number that were from OOS during mine.
2) If you move OOS to another college and live there for 4-5 years has your residency status changed? Would you be considered an OOS applicant?

2) If you move OOS to another college and live there for 4-5 years has your residency status changed? Would you be considered an OOS applicant?

If you're out of state for education reasons, you should be fine. However, if you graduate and remain out of state, claiming Texas residency can be become complicated. If you're living OOS and not going to school, you have to own property in Texas, be claimed as a depedent by Texas residents, or a few other things that can help maintain your residency.

If you're out of state for education reasons, you should be fine. However, if you graduate and remain out of state, claiming Texas residency can be become complicated. If you're living OOS and not going to school, you have to own property in Texas, be claimed as a depedent by Texas residents, or a few other things that can help maintain your residency.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I was asking because I was wondering how many of the people that were going to school OOS but were from Texas would be considered non-resident Texans. I see it's far more complex than I originally thought. There were probably about 60 people that were interviewing the same day as I was and I think about 20% were genuine OOS'ers, but there were a LOT that were Texans that went to school OOS.

Just wanted to get some advice before I make my rank list. My two top choices are UTHSCSA and Houston and I'm really torn between the two schools. I'm from Houston so I've always sort of pictured myself ending up back in Houston and the TMC was ah-freaking-MAZING on my tour, but I feel like I walked out of my UTHSCSA interview day feeling more "at home" as weird as that may sound. I got the feeling that both schools attract the same types of students and the curriculum at both seemed pretty similar. The 3rd year in Harlingen at UTHSCSA is a huge appeal to me but the TMC at Houston is also a large attraction. Any advice? Any current students at either school have input? Thanks!

Just wanted to get some advice before I make my rank list. My two top choices are UTHSCSA and Houston and I'm really torn between the two schools. I'm from Houston so I've always sort of pictured myself ending up back in Houston and the TMC was ah-freaking-MAZING on my tour, but I feel like I walked out of my UTHSCSA interview day feeling more "at home" as weird as that may sound. I got the feeling that both schools attract the same types of students and the curriculum at both seemed pretty similar. The 3rd year in Harlingen at UTHSCSA is a huge appeal to me but the TMC at Houston is also a large attraction. Any advice? Any current students at either school have input? Thanks!
If you liked both, choose Houston. It will be viewed much better by the people deciding if you get into residency. Plus UTHSCSA won't even release their USMLE averages supposedly because they aren't good.

This is exactly the same way i feel. At the beginning of interviews, Houston was way above UTHSCSA for me, but after interviewing, it is basically even. Why exactly is Houston viewed so much better Dr. Sno? The board score thing to me is a non-issue, because it seems like it is more an individual thing more so than what school you go to. Besides that I don't know that Houston has been outstanding in years past either.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you liked both, choose Houston. It will be viewed much better by the people deciding if you get into residency. Plus UTHSCSA won't even release their USMLE averages supposedly because they aren't good.

Good point on this. Besides which, I would choose Houston over UTSA in a heart beat. Doubly so if I actually lived there already. You do have to take into account moving factors.

Why is Houston so much better? I've been leaning toward UTHSCSA for the opportunity to spend some time at Harlingen.

I personally do not believe that Houston is "so much better." I think BOTH schools are outstanding. It is important to ask specific questions about schools (what is the city like? what is there to do outside of school? what is the test schedule like? etc.), but asking someone which school you should go to is not going to be very helpful. ANY school in Texas is a GREAT school. San Antonio DOES offer opportunities that Houston does not offer, and Houston offers opportunities that San Antonio does not offer. If going to Harlingen is a higher priority of yours than living in a large medical complex, maybe San Anotnio is better for YOU. Both schools are awesome and you will not go wrong either way. From what I have heard in multiple places, your board scores will reflect the effort you put into studying. Pick what is the best FIT. From what I hear, you will be SO much happier that way.

I hope at least some of that made sense...:rolleyes: Hahaha. I've been wrestling with the same thing. I do not have all the answers, but that is my best .02.

Good luck to all! :)

I've been leaning toward UTHSCSA for the opportunity to spend some time at Harlingen.

Where is Harlingen and what opportunities are available there? I can't imagine the opportunities there would surpass those available at the TMC.

But I do agree that students should pick the school where they will be the happiest.

I phrased that question poorly. Was meant to be more along the lines of "What draws you to personally prefer Houston to SA?"

Where is Harlingen and what opportunities are available there? I can't imagine the opportunities there would surpass those available at the TMC.

But I do agree that students should pick the school where they will be the happiest.

It's right along the Mexican border. The main appeals are a) obviously great for people interested in rural and border health and b) a lack of residents bumps medical students up a rank in terms of what you get a chance to do.

I guess for me I get the impression that SA offers more chances to learn Spanish, be involved in rural/third world/underserved medicine, and get more hands-on-training.

The TMC is great, but I get sort of a feeling that it's like having astounding research facilities at your undergrad, that is 99% of it is irrelevant to your education and more of a concern for graduate education. I may be way off though.

Which brings me back to the point of my question: trying to pool my information and impressions with others to get the most accurate picture possible.

St. Matthews here I come!!! Here's to my new tan! :laugh:

so jan 15 is racing towards us!!! :eek:

when we choose a prematch, do we have to notify the other school to decline, or can we just submit the decision on our tmdsas profile?

34 days til the match...

If you liked both, choose Houston. It will be viewed much better by the people deciding if you get into residency.

Nah, I disagree. I can't see how it would.

The TMC is great, but I get sort of a feeling that it's like having astounding research facilities at your undergrad, that is 99% of it is irrelevant to your education and more of a concern for graduate education. I may be way off though.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

When I interviewed at Houston, I asked several students about how they were taking advantage of the TMC opportunities. All of them were MSI and MSII and said they didn't because they were too busy studying. Those responses surprised me. Opportunities to do things are at every school, but you definitely have to be the one to seek them out. Anyway, I liked UTH the most and A&M was great too, but for different reasons. Each school had a more unique personality than I thought they would. There is a lot to be said about going where you think you'll fit in the best.

so jan 15 is racing towards us!!! :eek:SIZE="1"]
34 days til the match...[/SIZE]

Just to stoke the flames a little while business is slow....the match actually happens a few days before it is reported on Feb 1. I know this because in my cycle there was a computer glitch and some people who logged onto TMDSAS saw their match days before the "date". Whoops!

When I interviewed at Houston, I asked several students about how they were taking advantage of the TMC opportunities. All of them were MSI and MSII and said they didn't because they were too busy studying. Those responses surprised me. Opportunities to do things are at every school, but you definitely have to be the one to seek them out. Anyway, I liked UTH the most and A&M was great too, but for different reasons. Each school had a more unique personality than I thought they would. There is a lot to be said about going where you think you'll fit in the best.

And that sums up med school. IMO, unless you have something specific in mind you're sure you want and can directly compare, any large medical center is going to have more opportunites (and mostly similar ones) than you'll ever care about. Don't let this figure into your rankings...it'll just distract you from the bigger issues at hand. I'd be more concerned about how cushy the seats in the library are, since that's where your butt's gonna be 90% of the time. I got emailed lots of "opportunites" every week, and I'm not ashamed to say that 99.9999% of the time I was much more interested in exercising my "opportunity" to catch up on season 5 of The Office. I suspect most of you will act similarly. :luck:

I phrased that question poorly. Was meant to be more along the lines of "What draws you to personally prefer Houston to SA?"

It's right along the Mexican border. The main appeals are a) obviously great for people interested in rural and border health and b) a lack of residents bumps medical students up a rank in terms of what you get a chance to do.

I guess for me I get the impression that SA offers more chances to learn Spanish, be involved in rural/third world/underserved medicine, and get more hands-on-training.

Which brings me back to the point of my question: trying to pool my information and impressions with others to get the most accurate picture possible.

it's only 99% irrelevant to your education if you don't go out there and take advantage of it. i work at m.d. anderson, one of the big selling points for UTH, although kids at baylor argue that it doesn't belong to UTH exclusively, and we do have med students coming through here doing research. one of them, a second year student i think, did it over the summer and is continuing in the lab as a part time research assistant.

i mean i understand to some people, it's pretty much irrelevant. if you're not the type to seek out an opportunity, then the opportunities obviously aren't something you should base your decision on.

if you havent interviewed then I don't really view your opinion as valid. Like I said Houston seemed like the clear choice,but when you interview it isn't as obvious.purely based on the opinion of premeds and the tmc Houston would appear better, but after visiting uthscsa you see that it has lots to offer.

One thing I was considering was the quality of residents you may interact with.I really have no idea but I would think that the residencies in the tmc are more competitive and this could have better residents to learn from.this isn't a case of good vs bad residents, more like good vs better.

i'd also add that many med students i've met just love to talk about studying and how much they study, and some of them like to make a big show of it. one student i knew used to bring her books with her everywhere... like to restaurants... family gatherings... everything just to show people how much studying she did. when it was time to go home, she was catching up on House, watching tv, etc., etc. it's just like undergrad when you ask people how they are doing and then they have to tell you how busy they are and deliver you a laundry list of all of their due assignments for the next week...

on the flipside, the student that works in our lab swears that once you figure out your own system for being efficient, you've got a lot more time on your hands... i mean she's working in our lab for about 20 hours a week. i think it's mostly an issue of priorities, and you happen to meet students who highly prioritize studying or at least making a show of studying. on my interviews, i've met lots of students who spend lots of time volunteering, shadowing, doing research etc. even in my own personal volunteer work, i've run into baylor students who come and sort medical equipment for third world countries every weekend.

it's only 99% irrelevant to your education if you don't go out there and take advantage of it. i work at m.d. anderson, one of the big selling points for UTH, although kids at baylor argue that it doesn't belong to UTH exclusively, and we do have med students coming through here doing research. one of them, a second year student i think, did it over the summer and is continuing in the lab as a part time research assistant.

i mean i understand to some people, it's pretty much irrelevant. if you're not the type to seek out an opportunity, then the opportunities obviously aren't something you should base your decision on.

This doesn't really go against my point. The opportunity to do research is present at any medical school I know of (just as it is at any undergrad). But just like undergrad, I question how much of an advantage is gained by jumping up a level in research facilities. It seems far more of a concern to graduate level education (medical or scientific) and even then they are more concerned with the strengths of a select few areas rather than a massive research complex.

I guess my point is, what is the real advantage of the TMC to a medical student? Even more so when you consider the possibility of a student from another school doing research over the summer at the TMC. I mean with UTHSCSA's Harlingen, I see a rather unique opportunity and a real benefit (a more involved clerkship due to a lack of residents). I don't see how the TMC leads to such a drastically better research experience or medical education at the med student level. I understand the difference in opportunity between, for example, a small liberal arts college and MIT, but the disparity is nowhere near that wide for UTHSCSA and UTH.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm just trying to get a solid answer so I can make the best decision possible. Rank time approaches and I think some healthy debate would help a lot of us (myself included) make a decision.

One thing I was considering was the quality of residents you may interact with.I really have no idea but I would think that the residencies in the tmc are more competitive and this could have better residents to learn from.this isn't a case of good vs bad residents, more like good vs better.

That's a good point and something I hadn't considered before. But as you say, how big is the difference really going to be?

This doesn't really go against my point. The opportunity to do research is present at any medical school I know of (just as it is at any undergrad). But just like undergrad, I question how much of an advantage is gained by jumping up a level in research facilities. It seems far more of a concern to graduate level education (medical or scientific) and even then they are more concerned with the strengths of a select few areas rather than a massive research complex.

I guess my point is, what is the real advantage of the TMC to a medical student? Even more so when you consider the possibility of a student from another school doing research over the summer at the TMC. I mean with UTHSCSA's Harlingen, I see a rather unique opportunity and a real benefit (a more involved clerkship due to a lack of residents). I don't see how the TMC leads to such a drastically better research experience or medical education at the med student level. I understand the difference in opportunity between, for example, a small liberal arts college and MIT, but the disparity is nowhere near that wide for UTHSCSA and UTH.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm just trying to get a solid answer so I can make the best decision possible. Rank time approaches and I think some healthy debate would help a lot of us (myself included) make a decision.

That's a good point and something I hadn't considered before. But as you say, how big is the difference really going to be?

hey cactus, best of luck in your ranking decision. i wasn't really trying to provide a counterpoint to your post or anything like that. i was just making an observation. i would say though that if you are interested in research, your experience will vary depending on where you decide to go to school. my interviewer at SA was a cardiologist who did participate in research, but he told me that SA was not the school for me if that's what i was interested in. i believe he said that most of the students in his lab were public health students (he was into epidemiology). he also seemed unenthusiastic about having medical students in his lab. he might be an isolated case, but that was my experience with the school. so yah, there is research going on, but whether or not you have easy access, as in PI's are really interested in recruiting med students to their lab, and whether or not/how easily you can get funding to do it and finally whether or not they'll have something in the field that you are interested in are other things you should consider.

and of course, i agree that harlingen definitely sets SA apart from the other schools. that is definitely a unique opportunity if you are interested in working in primary care and with underserved populations. although, if i recall correctly, not everybody who wants to rotate through their gets to?? i might be wrong on that one.

they are both great schools. to me the issue is more of location. do you like san antonio or do you like houston? i for one need to have asian supermarkets and good chinese restaurants around --> houston.

hey y'all,
I'm a first year at UT-H, so I can respond to some of the issues that have been brought up. First year is a night to day change from undergrad, we really do study that much. I brought Netter flashcards with me everywhere until a few weeks ago, now they're waiting for my MSI next year :). But yes, when you get a system down you learn to schedule time efficiently to have time to do the things that you enjoy, it is possible. Second year allows for more free time.
As far as being in the TMC, it is what you make of it. Keep in mind that just about every specialty you can imagine is represented here. In that respect, you have the opportunity (and UT-H's help) with reaching out to those physicians to shadow. I personally did not shadow during the semester because I wanted to focus on my grades -- I didn't know if I was going to have a lot of time to give to other things. But, over the break I've been shadowing and it's been very exciting to be around the TMC, it's pretty inspiring. Also, the patient volume at our teaching hospitals = huge due to the TMC, which definitely comes into play after years 1 & 2.

That being said, you can probably say the same for San Antonio. It is what you make of it, and they surely have a huge number of specialties represented as well. Maybe to put things in perspective, remember how lucky you are to be getting down to the nitty gritty differences between SA and Houston, so many people would love to be in that position! Good luck with the match, I remember being so anxious at this time last year. For those of you who come to UT-H, see ya soon!

Does anyone know when UTHSCSA sends out their last prematch offers? I heard that there was suppose to be another batch this week...?

this is the TX acceptance I was really hoping for :) my decision will probably come down to pure economics, though :( whoever costs less is probably where I'll go, and right now that's A&M (my mom lives in Temple=free room & board)

this is the TX acceptance I was really hoping for :) my decision will probably come down to pure economics, though :( whoever costs less is probably where I'll go, and right now that's A&M (my mom lives in Temple=free room & board)

You're a stud. You have a tough decision to make now.

'Grats, Army.

(But you got a call today? I emailed the Houston admissions office and got an autoreply from Office/Exchange saying that they were gone until the 5th.)

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW...CONGRATS THAT IS AMAZING!!!

UT-H is by far my top choice school, I'm still holding out and putting my faith in God for the Match :)

Does anyone know when UTHSCSA sends out their last prematch offers? I heard that there was suppose to be another batch this week...?

I've been hearing from everyone that it's Dec. 31. Hang on tight, buddy; I'm waiting for one too :p.

left me a voicemail saying she needed to talk to me about something
(called her back but she was with a patient)

It was an acceptance :)

Hey congrats! That must have been ridiculously exciting! :D

I'm hoping and praying as well for an acceptance to UTHSCSA this Wed.!!!

I'm hoping and praying as well for an acceptance to UTHSCSA this Wed.!!!

Meeeeeee too. Although I'm really not expecting anything considering my luck throughout this process. I bet there will be some happy people in here on Wednesday though!!

CONGRATS ARMY!!!!! Omg I bet it feels so good to have gotten that acceptance, especially because they don't do much pre-match. I'm really happy for you!! :D:D

'Grats, Army.

(But you got a call today? I emailed the Houston admissions office and got an autoreply from Office/Exchange saying that they were gone until the 5th.)
yep, Dr K called me on her cell phone. she told me they probably wouldn't be able to get the official letter/email out to me for a week or two because they aren't in the office much right now.

Whoa, so I can only hold 1 pre-match after Jan 15? That's not a lot of time to make a pretty big decision...

are you pretty much guaranteed to match to a school that you got a pre-match offer from but turned down if you rank it first?

Last edited:
Whoa, so I can only hold 1 pre-match after Jan 15? That's not a lot of time to make a pretty big decision...

are you pretty much guaranteed to match to a school that you got a pre-match offer from but turned down if you rank it first?

FIRST OFF - CONGRATS....you so deserve all of these. Perseverance paid off.

That's a good question.

I hadn't thought about that until now.

I would think that they wouldn't match you if you had already turned them down one time that year. Why would you choose A&M now and then rank UTH above A&M in the match??

I mean, I definitely see your dilemma and 2 weeks is NOT much time to choose, but I guess I always assumed people with multiple pre-matches would rank whoever they chose during pre-match #1 (or right under their interviews they hadn't pre-matched at).

I'm interested to see the answer to this!

I guess the reason why I'd take one and then rank the other higher is so I have options. I don't like choosing which school I'll attend without taking into consideration any scholarships or other financial aid information. It seems to be counterproductive to have to choose between multiple pre-match offers long before financial aid info is given, or before the match.

I mean they're forcing me to make a very difficult decision without all information I need. I want to go to one of those two, but I don't know which one yet.

Pretty sure Aggie is right 'bout this. Oh, and here's two bananas...:banana::banana:. Congrats man. Ya know, if you'd flirted with her she might have offered you some moolah.

Aggie, belated congrats on the engagement...how's the wedding planning going?

Status
Not open for further replies.