The Republic of Texas XXIII: Our State Can Beat Up Your State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is messing with my head, now I don't know what to do. I have 2 prematch offers, Galveston and El Paso. I want Southwestern but I haven't gotten a prematch offer (I haven't even interviewed, it's scheduled for January 10). I also have acceptances outside of Texas. So, is it possible for me to rank my list like so:

SWern
Houston
Galveston
ELP

and then could I send in my deposit to hold my Galveston spot, while hoping to match at SWern?

I'm so confused, why won't Baylor just call me?!

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is messing with my head, now I don't know what to do. I have 2 prematch offers, Galveston and El Paso. I want Southwestern but I haven't gotten a prematch offer (I haven't even interviewed, it's scheduled for January 10). I also have acceptances outside of Texas. So, is it possible for me to rank my list like so:

SWern
Houston
Galveston
ELP

and then could I send in my deposit to hold my Galveston spot, while hoping to match at SWern?

I'm so confused, why won't Baylor just call me?!
that's right, that's what you'd have to do. do you also want to take Houston above Galveston? and you'll need to decline your El Paso pre-match offer.

Can either Jolie South or Kudu help me here. I am getting confused.

I have only one pre-match offer from UTMB. My understanding is that I don't have to decline it even if I am not ranking it # 1 for the match. My #1 is UT-Houston, and number #3 is UTMB. I have accepted the UTMB pre-match offer.

So right now I just have to rank and wait for match results, right? Assuming that I don't get any other offers in until the 31st.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, others can't be trusted :( fail

but you're right, you don't have to decline the pre-match offer, just rank the schools how you want them. if you don't match higher, you'll fall back on the UTMB offer.

and then could I send in my deposit to hold my Galveston spot

What Army said. Curious...what's this about a deposit for UTMB? Do they make you do this if you prematch? I matched, somaybe I've just never heard of it.

Can either Jolie South or Kudu help me here. I am getting confused.

I have only one pre-match offer from UTMB. My understanding is that I don't have to decline it even if I am not ranking it # 1 for the match. My #1 is UT-Houston, and number #3 is UTMB. I have accepted the UTMB pre-match offer.

So right now I just have to rank and wait for match results, right? Assuming that I don't get any other offers in until the 31st.

Thank you

Magnifique!

haha, others can't be trusted :( fail

:D

but you're right, you don't have to decline the pre-match offer, just rank the schools how you want them. if you don't match higher, you'll fall back on the UTMB offer.

:thumbup:<----Kudu stamp of approval :laugh:.

This is a good illustration of why having to make such a quick decision is difficult. What if A&M really is better than Houston? What other factors can come up for me to decide on in the next few months instead of the next 2 weeks? I hate this.
But I am forced to choose one and my wife says Houston, so that's where I'm going. She's already looked up job opportunities there and she knows there is something for her to do.

You know, it sucks but at the end of the day you just have to go with the info you have. I guess you could talk to the FA depts and see what their crystal ball can tell you, but don't know that'd be much help. And besides, you're right...if wifey wants to go to Htown.....

I really enjoy what I'm doing now, which is computer science/biomedical informatics. Do you have any computer science/engineering background?

So I think I'd stick in this type of job. The other way I'd go is military, but I'd stay in informatics before I went military.

Are you totally anti-medicine? If not, I'd look into being a pharmacist.

Nope, my degree is in Econ, with philosophy and hist minors. The thinking to rote memorization ratio is a lot higher in those compared to med school...maybe part of my prob. Comp sci would bore me, sorry. Thinking of teaching for awhile and going back later to eek out a masters. Might look into military, since they have student loan benefits (I've got ~36k now), but I'm kinda old at this point (34) haha. Pharmacology does hold some interest for me, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Did your dad fly Apaches? As a kid I wanted to fly those suckers, or maybe an A10. Made sure when I went to an airshow to get a pic next to them haha.

He flew Blackhawks (he actually started with Hueys, but the Army retired them). They're not as pimp as Apaches, but still pretty fun. Plus they're always together, so any base we were at gave me plenty to gawk at.

Teaching is always fun. Pressure to publish and get tenure isn't. What else.. accounting is a good career.

Nope, my degree is in Econ, with philosophy and hist minors. The thinking to rote memorization ratio is a lot higher in those compared to med school...maybe part of my prob. Comp sci would bore me, sorry. Thinking of teaching for awhile and going back later to eek out a masters. Might look into military, since they have student loan benefits (I've got ~36k now), but I'm kinda old at this point (34) haha. Pharmacology does hold some interest for me, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Did your dad fly Apaches? As a kid I wanted to fly those suckers, or maybe an A10. Made sure when I went to an airshow to get a pic next to them haha.

When I got my military physical, there was a guy in there that was getting his Master's in engineering paid for and he was just reserves. I would check into what they need if you go into something technical.

There is no deposit necessary for UTMB.

Nope, my degree is in Econ, with philosophy and hist minors. The thinking to rote memorization ratio is a lot higher in those compared to med school...maybe part of my prob.

Hmm, I much prefer thinking to rote memorization. I love reading philosophy and real psychology. Hopefully after the first two years, medical school and the profession will be more about thinking than memorization.

Completely off topic-- has anyone done the TABC online thing? This is miserable! I just got hired as a waitress so i have to do it, but they won't let you just click through and take the test. They make you watch every movie thing and they time you're "reading" so you can't go faster than they think you should. *sigh* To make matters worse I was having "issues" with my internet so i'm in a coffee shop and i'm stuck here for who knows how long... :(

Completely off topic-- has anyone done the TABC online thing? This is miserable! I just got hired as a waitress so i have to do it, but they won't let you just click through and take the test. They make you watch every movie thing and they time you're "reading" so you can't go faster than they think you should. *sigh* To make matters worse I was having "issues" with my internet so i'm in a coffee shop and i'm stuck here for who knows how long... :(

Eww....I have. That sucks. I had to take it before I started working at TGIFriday's. Yuck. The in-class one isn't much better, I took that before opening the CS Buffalo Wild Wings. Yuck Yuck.

Where are you gonna be waiting at? CS summers and waitressing are awful, but you'll make *great* money when the students are in town. =)

Yes I did it also, it was a nightmare!! You have to complete the program in one sitting, I remember staying up until about 4am one morning finishing the program. I was literally passed out the entire time, I just kept waking up intime to click to the next phase and used google when I was taking the test to help search for answers:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick, decent money I suppose, but waitressing violates two dearly held kudu employment postulates: A) Never work a job that directly handles other people's money, and B) Never work a job that directly handles people's food. Those are probably the two things humans are most anal about. Brave souls you are indeed....

I think people just have unreasonable expectations about what kind of food and service they expect for what they're paying. I imagine waiters at like Applebee's get more crap than anyone else on the planet, even though they're not exactly delivering gourmet food.

Though getting food poisoning like I did yesterday will make you expect a bit more out of a restaurant. I'm never going to Cheesecake Factory again.

I think people just have unreasonable expectations about what kind of food and service they expect for what they're paying. I imagine waiters at like Applebee's get more crap than anyone else on the planet, even though they're not exactly delivering gourmet food.

Though getting food poisoning like I did yesterday will make you expect a bit more out of a restaurant. I'm never going to Cheesecake Factory again.

I have gotten food poisoned at Cheesecake Factory also! It was perhaps the spicy chicken sandwich, since I've been there since then and haven't had any problems.

I have gotten food poisoned at Cheesecake Factory also! It was perhaps the spicy chicken sandwich, since I've been there since then and haven't had any problems.
This was from a sandwich, too (shrimp & bacon club).

I guess the lesson we're learning is that you shouldn't eat a sandwich at Cheesecake Factory.

UGH. That was one of the most painful and awful experiences I've had to undergo for a job...with the exception of California Pizza Kitchen's 250-something item test. And some extra-stellar training videos. I love that 80s hair. :thumbup:

Aw, this thread makes me sad. I grew up in Houston (and I'm here now for the holidays), but I moved out to California for undergrad and it's been getting on my nerves a lot lately. I'm tired of yuppies. :oops:

UGH. That was one of the most painful and awful experiences I've had to undergo for a job...with the exception of California Pizza Kitchen's 250-something item test. And some extra-stellar training videos. I love that 80s hair. :thumbup:

Aw, this thread makes me sad. I grew up in Houston (and I'm here now for the holidays), but I moved out to California for undergrad and it's been getting on my nerves a lot lately. I'm tired of yuppies. :oops:

Cali is not that bad... which part are you in?

Los Angeles. I live in man-girl, tightly pants-ed, fake glasses-wearing hipster central. Also, sorority girls and frat guys.

Well, ya know, even their governor has called them girlie men....hee hee.

Quick, decent money I suppose, but waitressing violates two dearly held kudu employment postulates: A) Never work a job that directly handles other people’s money, and B) Never work a job that directly handles people’s food. Those are probably the two things humans are most anal about. Brave souls you are indeed....

i'd like to add a "C)":

C) anything that deals with other peoples kids... pediatricians, teachers, little league coach, etc. you'd get eaten alive everyday by overbearig, obsessive parents!

Los Angeles. I live in man-girl, tightly pants-ed, fake glasses-wearing hipster central. Also, sorority girls and frat guys.

I spend more of my time in the OC, so it is a bit different from LA... I dunno, I have not come into contact with too many people like this... but then again, there are a lot of nerds at UCLA:smuggrin:

i'd like to add a "C)":

C) anything that deals with other peoples kids... pediatricians, teachers, little league coach, etc. you'd get eaten alive everyday by overbearig, obsessive parents!

I'm good with that- I have worked at day care centers and private preschools and loved it- I have nannied for 2 families now for over 4 years- love it! I think we each have unique abilities and talents and have our own list of rules... imagine what life would be like if Emeril or Paula Dean weren't around :( (maybe we would all be skinnier?)

Well, ya know, even their governor has called them girlie men....hee hee.

It's true, they are! Now, I just need to stop dating them. How disconcerting when the lady ends up holding open the doors for the guy (used loosely; there's nothing manly about them). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Teaching is always fun. Pressure to publish and get tenure isn't. What else.. accounting is a good career.

I have no intereest in a PhD, or in research/publishing as far as I can tell. A masters would let me teach JC. Haha, I specifically got a BA instead of a BS so I wouldn't have to take accounting. Soetimes I regret that, and Ilove doing my taxes, but there's no way I could bean count as a day-to-day job. Good try though.

Hmm, I much prefer thinking to rote memorization. I love reading philosophy and real psychology. Hopefully after the first two years, medical school and the profession will be more about thinking than memorization.

Me too Sno, and I hope so for you guys.

i'd like to add a "C)":

Uh oh...I am considering elementary school teacher.:(

After filtering for A, B, and C, I guess that leaves...monk

... imagine what life would be like if Emeril or Paula Dean weren't around :( (maybe we would all be skinnier?)

I can't imagine a world like this. I love Paula. "Now, y'all, we're just gonna mayx in this eight pound tub of maylted buttah."

... imagine what life would be like if Emeril or Paula Dean weren't around :(

Haha, I love Paula Dean! But Ina Garten is the best on Food Network. I also like the gal on Everyday Italian, nothing like a little cleavage to go with the Italian cooking.

Haha, I love Paula Dean! But Ina Garten is the best on Food Network. I also like the gal on Everyday Italian, nothing like a little cleavage to go with the Italian cooking.

Giada! I have a girl-crush on her; she's beautiful. And Ina's amazing. All I do when I'm at home is watch Food Network; I'm watching "Ace of Cakes" right now.

I really want some cake. Red velvet. I need to start running marathons again, then I can eat anything I want!

P.S. DrSno, nice avatar. I'm partial to the fist bump, though.

the woman from everyday italian has a head that looks disproportional to the rest of her... yah ina's prolly got the most gourmet-y recipes... but look at her! damn i couldn't eat that stuff everyday that's all i can say.

It's true, they are! Now, I just need to stop dating them. How disconcerting when the lady ends up holding open the doors for the guy (used loosely; there's nothing manly about them). :rolleyes:

Lame.:rolleyes:

yeah, you need to come back and land a Texan :D

Yeah, no ****. That's just sad.

what are your favorite hobbies or things to do?

you should become a brewmaster.

I'm finishing off a Firemen's 4 by the Real Ale Brewery as we write. Not bad.

I'm in the process of getting my level 2 pilot rating for paragliding. Hopefully I'll some day have the dough to do AFF for skydiving. Not really any career prospects in those though.

Kudu, you should be a CSI or forensic scientist! that would be cool. it's a "thinking" profession.

Duly noted and scribbled down. I have about 30 tabs open haha, mostly for different career/job searches.

the woman from everyday italian has a head that looks disproportional to the rest of her... yah ina's prolly got the most gourmet-y recipes... but look at her! damn i couldn't eat that stuff everyday that's all i can say.
Nobody's looking at her head.

Either way, don't talk about my future second wife like that. She's beautiful.

P.S. DrSno, nice avatar. I'm partial to the fist bump, though.
Thanks, I'm partial to the fist bump too, but the one I have was the first picture I found when I finally decided to make an avatar.

God, my procrastination has gotten out of hand.

Anyone doing anything fun for New Year's? What is there to do around here? My NYE notoriously sucks. It's also my birthday. :cool:

I'm planning on making some mulled wine and boozing it up in a very ladylike manner.

I can't imagine a world like this. I love Paula. "Now, y'all, we're just gonna mayx in this eight pound tub of maylted buttah."

I ain't gonna lie...that accent comes out from time to time...especially when I'm angry haha.

:thumbup: Ina and Giada... I actually watch their shows... I like Ina because it is like a glimpse into the world of people who eat gourmet food everyday... and Giada because she is nice to look at... I mean she makes Italian food look really good.:rolleyes:

:thumbup: Ina and Giada... I actually watch their shows... I like Ina because it is like a glimpse into the world of people who eat gourmet food everyday... and Giada because she is nice to look at... I mean she makes Italian food look really good.:rolleyes:

yah ina definitely slips that butter/heavy cream in there just as much as paula does... that's all i can say. i'd prefer paula's stuff just because it's so damn southern, and i love me some southern comfort food.

yah ina definitely slips that butter/heavy cream in there just as much as paula does... that's all i can say. i'd prefer paula's stuff just because it's so damn southern, and i love me some southern comfort food.

Yes but she does everything so classily (is this even a word... my mac picks it up as a word) and that makes it interesting to watch...

hahahaha, that written interpretation sounded just like her!!!:laugh:

Hey guys, I've been reading the Texas posts here and there for awhile, but I've never posted. I'm OOS, and I interviewed at UTHSCSA in September, and UTMB about 3 weeks ago. I've heard that UTHSCSA may send out some more offers tomorrow, is that true? And does anyone know when UTMB might send some? Also, if anyone has a timeline of when I should assume that I am not going to be accepted, I'd appreciate it . . .

Hey guys, I've been reading the Texas posts here and there for awhile, but I've never posted. I'm OOS, and I interviewed at UTHSCSA in September, and UTMB about 3 weeks ago. I've heard that UTHSCSA may send out some more offers tomorrow, is that true? And does anyone know when UTMB might send some? Also, if anyone has a timeline of when I should assume that I am not going to be accepted, I'd appreciate it . . .

No one will really know till tomorrow, which is the last day schools can extend offers to instate students before the match on Feb 1. Those instaters with multiple Tx offers have till Jan 15 to drop all but one. As an oos of course, you are not bound by such rules, and can be accepted at any time, but at least in my exp on here at this point most oos are usually just hoping to be put on the waitlists, which come out about 2-3 weeks after the match, so mid-Feb. :luck:

Thanks for the info . . . I guess it's a little bit of a double edged sword. It's good to know that there's a possibility of getting an acceptance almost any time, but then each day that I don't, it'll just be that much more upsetting. Anyone else an OOS in a similar situation?

Thanks for the info . . . I guess it's a little bit of a double edged sword. It's good to know that there's a possibility of getting an acceptance almost any time, but then each day that I don't, it'll just be that much more upsetting. Anyone else an OOS in a similar situation?
I had interviews at A&M, Tech, and UTHSCSA in august/september and haven't heard from anyone. It sucks, I know. Good luck!

Thank you, good luck to you too!! Let me know if you hear anything, and I'll do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.