The Republic of Texas XXVI: Big Trucks, Big Guns, Big Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSno

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy! Welcome to Texas. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The obligatory:

cometakeit.jpg

hey guys i need some advice on writing an loi.

some family medical issues have come up and it would really help if i could stay in houston for med school.

i interviewed at UTH and got WL'd. interviewed w/ baylor this past friday.

baylor is my top choice but UTH is right behind it.

any advice on how to write an loi to UTH w/o seeming to fully commit.

also does anyone know the turn around time for baylor?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys i need some advice on writing an loi.

some family medical issues have come up and it would really help if i could stay in houston for med school.

i interviewed at UTH and got WL'd. interviewed w/ baylor this past friday.

baylor is my top choice but UTH is right behind it.

any advice on how to write an loi to UTH w/o seeming to fully commit.

also does anyone know the turn around time for baylor?

thanks!

I can't comment on the LOI, but the turnaround time on Baylor has been a minimum of two weeks, maximum of eternity. Lucky for you their last interview was last friday. They've said that they'll be making the "majority" of their acceptances in March, so the wait shouldn't be TOO much longer! :luck:

so you think i should wait until i hear from baylor before sending out an loi?

i thought UTH makes their decisions in March so i dont know if i should wait until i hear from baylor.

isnt that when most texas schools start having movement on their WL?

maybe i heard wrong :confused:

can anyone clarify?

so you think i should wait until i hear from baylor before sending out an loi?

i thought UTH makes their decisions in March so i dont know if i should wait until i hear from baylor.
Write them an update letter asap. They're going to be sending out the rest of their acceptances in the next few weeks. Also, try to talk to Dr. Kellaway about how much you want UTH.

Write them an update letter asap. They're going to be sending out the rest of their acceptances in the next few weeks. Also, try to talk to Dr. Kellaway about how much you want UTH.

well honestly, baylor is my first choice. i interviewed last friday (last interview session) so i know that my chances are slim.

im afraid if i write a loi to UTH and get off the WL (a big maybe), what will i do if later i get an acceptance to baylor. i dont want to be a jerk.

well honestly, baylor is my first choice. i interviewed last friday (last interview session) so i know that my chances are slim.

im afraid if i write a loi to UTH and get off the WL (a big maybe), what will i do if later i get an acceptance to baylor. i dont want to be a jerk.

That should be the least of your worries. Do everything you can to help yourself and cross the jerk bridge when it comes.

Oh, lookie, new RoT thread.

I still haven't been able to find anything out about A&M's waitlist. :confused:

That should be the least of your worries. Do everything you can to help yourself and cross the jerk bridge when it comes.

is there any way of writing an loi stating the situation that i want to remain in houston bc of family medical issues. but not specify whether UTH is my first choice... :confused:

is there any way of writing an loi stating the situation that i want to remain in houston bc of family medical issues. but not specify whether UTH is my first choice... :confused:
just tell them they're your first choice, they won't know otherwise! and if BCM rejects you, UTH IS your first choice.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's why you write a letter of INTEREST, not intent. Do write UTH a letter saying all of the things you like about their school and make connections to why you would be a great student for them, and finish with something like, "For all of these reasons, I think that UTH would be a great school for me to continue my medical career- and I also think that I would be a great match for UTH," or something to that effect. Everything you say there is true, without promising that you'll go there. Then you can write a letter of intent to Baylor, saying something similar, but adding that you will definitely go if accepted.

Schools know that this is a selection process for the applicants just as much as it is for the schools; every school has seen students turn them down and go somewhere else and they won't take it personally.

That's why you write a letter of INTEREST, not intent. Do write UTH a letter saying all of the things you like about their school and make connections to why you would be a great student for them, and finish with something like, "For all of these reasons, I think that UTH would be a great school for me to continue my medical career- and I also think that I would be a great match for UTH," or something to that effect. Everything you say there is true, without promising that you'll go there. Then you can write a letter of intent to Baylor, saying something similar, but adding that you will definitely go if accepted.

Schools know that this is a selection process for the applicants just as much as it is for the schools; every school has seen students turn them down and go somewhere else and they won't take it personally.

Thanks!

pirate-flag-782671.jpg

...And the Pirates of the Plains flag(Texas Tech). :smuggrin:

Hey my fellow Texans...this has been a long, strange trip with a shocking ending. I got the call from Wayne State today and was notified of my acceptance to the class of 2013. I used to live in the Detroit area (hence Piston95) so it hopefully won't be that foreign to me. I am still shocked over how things have played out, but this whole process has affirmed to me that everything does happen for a reason. Just wanted to thank all of you who gave advice over the past few months. I didn't post much, but most of my questions were answered either via the boards of through private messages. So, I wanted to return the favor and give encouragement to all of you who are still waiting. Stay strong, and keep doing what you do and someone will take notice. I hope that all of your hopes and prayers are met. God Bless.

pirate-flag-782671.jpg

...And the Pirates of the Plains flag(Texas Tech). :smuggrin:

this is a Tech thing? please esplain!!!

haha, i think i'm gonna need a bit of "Being A Red Raider 101" instruction between now an august!!! :cool:

Hey my fellow Texans...this has been a long, strange trip with a shocking ending. I got the call from Wayne State today and was notified of my acceptance to the class of 2013. I used to live in the Detroit area (hence Piston95) so it hopefully won't be that foreign to me. I am still shocked over how things have played out, but this whole process has affirmed to me that everything does happen for a reason. Just wanted to thank all of you who gave advice over the past few months. I didn't post much, but most of my questions were answered either via the boards of through private messages. So, I wanted to return the favor and give encouragement to all of you who are still waiting. Stay strong, and keep doing what you do and someone will take notice. I hope that all of your hopes and prayers are met. God Bless.

CONGRATS!!!! :soexcited: :hardy:

OMG!!!! Piston , I was so rooting for you!!!! Huge congrats!! :soexcited:

this is a Tech thing? please esplain!!!

haha, i think i'm gonna need a bit of "Being A Red Raider 101" instruction between now an august!!! :cool:

Pirates of the plains; everyone hates us, so we rape, steal, and pillage other teams. :laugh:

"Each off-season, Leach picks something he is curious about and learns as much as he can about it: Geronimo, Daniel Boone, whales, chimpanzees, grizzly bears, Jackson Pollock. The list goes on, and if you can find the common thread, you are a step ahead of his football players. One year, he studied pirates. When he learned that a pirate ship was a functional democracy; that pirates disciplined themselves; that, loathed by others, they nevertheless found ways to work together, the pirate ship became a metaphor for his football team. Last year, after a loss to Texas A.&M. in overtime, Leach hauled the team into the conference room on Sunday morning and delivered a three-hour lecture on the history of pirates. Leach read from his favorite pirate history, "Under the Black Flag," by David Cordingly (the passages about homosexuality on pirate ships had been crossed out). The analogy to football held up for a few minutes, but after a bit, it was clear that Coach Leach was just . . . talking about pirates. The quarterback Cody Hodges says of his coach: "You learn not to ask questions. If you ask questions, it just goes on longer.""
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/magazine/04coach.html?pagewanted=all

:clap:

.Hi y'all,

I am sure there is a post about this in the other thread but just to make sure we don't miss anyone:

A couple of us are planning a get together so we can all meet before classes start. Even though the initial idea is to meet as many of our future A&M classmates as possible, I think anybody who wants to go will have a good time.
BobSagat was good enough to make reservation at Fox and Hound in Arlington (midway between Dallas and Fort Worth, kind of...). Fox and Hound is a pub-style bar with pretty nice pool tables and a decent selection of beers.

WHEN:
Friday 02/27 at 08:00 PM.

WHERE:
Fox and Hound English Pub & Grille- Arlington
1001 N.E. Green Oaks Blvd.
Arlington, TX 76006
Phone: (817) 277-3591
( Directions at http://alturl.com/5ct )

I realize this probably not ideal for everyone as far as time, date and location are concerned but I hope a y'all can make it..

Last edited:
:laugh:

Anyone wanna throw some change into a wishing well or something for me? I'm still trying to be a part of that entering c/o 2009 at A&M... ahhhh.

Done. Well, it was my boy's piggy bank but I still wish you the best!

I just got a UTHSCSA waitlist acceptance letter in the mail! Big surprise that there was no email but in snail mail instead. Good luck everyone else!

Hopefully the ending wasn't too shocking if your aim is to be a doctor. ;)

What about Detroit and Wayne State made you go back there? I interviewed up there, but it was my first time in Detroit, so I don't know much about the school or the area.

i'm an aggie, but i really liked this article.

really, really, really, really liked it.

maybe donning that red hoodie instead of the maroon one aint gonna be so bad afterall. gig'em tech.

Yea, I am a freshman at Tech and really like the school. Greek life is huge here though, but it isn't too bad for girls.

Tech isn't as bad of a school that aggies think, and raider rash is non-existent. :smuggrin:

.Hi y'all,

I am sure there is a post about this in the other thread but just to make sure we don't miss anyone:

A couple of us are planning a get together so we can all meet before classes start. Even though the initial idea is to meet as many of our future A&M classmates as possible, I think anybody who wants to go will have a good time.
BobSagat was good enough to make reservation at Fox and Hound in Arlington (midway between Dallas and Fort Worth, kind of...). Fox and Hound is a pub-style bar with pretty nice pool tables and a decent selection of beers.

WHEN:
Friday 02/27 at 08:00 PM.

WHERE:
Fox and Hound English Pub & Grille- Arlington
1001 N.E. Green Oaks Blvd.
Arlington, TX 76006
Phone: (817) 277-3591
( Directions at http://alturl.com/5ct )

I realize this probably not ideal for everyone as far as time, date and location are concerned but I hope a y'all can make it..
Dude, what the hell? Now some creepy internet stalker is going to show up. Good job.

Dude, what the hell? Now some creepy internet stalker is going to show up. Good job.

Come on man we both know that creepy internet stalkers make for great parties. Hope we get at least a couple:xf:

I just got a UTHSCSA waitlist acceptance letter in the mail! Big surprise that there was no email but in snail mail instead. Good luck everyone else!
Congrats! But do you mean you got a letter saying you were placed on their waitlist? or did you already get accepted from their waitlist?

:laugh:

Anyone wanna throw some change into a wishing well or something for me? I'm still trying to be a part of that entering c/o 2009 at A&M... ahhhh.

I had a dream the other night that you got in. I kept trying to congratulate you but I was typing really random words...:laugh:

Congrats about the UTHSCSA waitlist...nothin here. You don't by any chance live really close to SA so it would only take a day to get there do you?? :rolleyes:

Congrats! But do you mean you got a letter saying you were placed on their waitlist? or did you already get accepted from their waitlist?

--I got onto the waitlist. (yay!)

Congrats about the UTHSCSA waitlist...nothin here. You don't by any chance live really close to SA so it would only take a day to get there do you?? :rolleyes:

--Actually, I do live just outside the city limits, but the letter was dated 02/23, so it should be soon! I just wanted to give everyone a heads up so they can stop frantically checking their email...or maybe that was just me :p lol

I had a dream the other night that you got in.

That's what she said.<----first time I've used that stupid quote, and hopefully the last. But I had to do it once. :)

I had a dream the other night that you got in. I kept trying to congratulate you but I was typing really random words...:laugh

Aww, did you? I like your dream. It's gonna be a fun day if it turns out like that...

i'm an aggie, but i really liked this article.

really, really, really, really liked it.

maybe donning that red hoodie instead of the maroon one aint gonna be so bad afterall. gig'em tech.

This year the marching band performed a whole pirate themed halftime show that premiered at the UT game. I didn't see that one but heard all about it and then the show was also done at the OSU game which I did go to (I live in Atlanta but went during my interview weekend)... The show was awesome- the band had bandannas and they had "pirates" fighting on one of the walls of the stadium.

I am sure taking of the maroon one will be hard I am so thankful that I don't have that much of a connection to my undergrad- after 4 years there I have only 2 tshirts to show for it... my cousin at Tech had over 20 after her first year...and i had 2 t shirts and a jacket after my first weekend lol

I e-mailed the admissions office and I'm on UTHSCSA's waitlist. Yay! Does anyone know when waitlist movement usually starts in Texas?

I'm waitlisted at UTSA. Does anyone know how many people get waitlisted there, usually?

I just got a rejection letter from Baylor even though I never even turned my secondary application there and obviously never interviewed there.

How do medical schools know how to make me feel like a reject even when I chose not to go there!?!?

UTHSCSA waitlist as well. I heard around 50 are waitlisted and 10-15 are offered spots...not sure on the validity of that.

:luck: everyone

did y'all get emails about the waitlist? man, that was like the only school i had any kind of preference for, the rest i didn't really care either way. oh well, i shouldn't complain. :)

So my lil girl is due in less than 2 weeks!!! I was hoping to get her a music box that plays Hushabye Mountain from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3A_255R7T0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone have any idea where I can find something like that?

did y'all get emails about the waitlist? man, that was like the only school i had any kind of preference for, the rest i didn't really care either way. oh well, i shouldn't complain. :)

Nope, snail mail. But someone said they were able to call the admissions office and find out they were on.

Does anyone know if UTHSCSA ranks their waitlist? or do they reevaluate everyone for each spot that opens? And I guess this largely depends on the answer to the prior questions, but do they still accept update letters?

Does anyone know if UTHSCSA ranks their waitlist? or do they reevaluate everyone for each spot that opens? And I guess this largely depends on the answer to the prior questions, but do they still accept update letters?

I just talked to a friend who just called the admissions office-said they have an unranked alternate list and that every time a spot opens up they reevaluate the list and pick a person. Don't know about the update letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.