The Republic of Texas XXVI: Big Trucks, Big Guns, Big Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am. Karen's helped me a lot the last 3 years, plus it sounded like a good way to meet some Aggies who are headed to LBK.

Edit: Dang, I just read that y'all aren't going. I could converse with a brick wall so it won't bother that I don't know anyone - plus why the heck would you skip out on FREE fajitas.
Psh. I'm totally going.

haha, i'm not necessarily not going--my attendance was going to be entirely dependent on if i would know anyone there (pathetic? entirely.)

and well, i'm a fifth year and all my premed friends are MS1s right now; hence, still more pathetically, posting this to see if any sdn folks would be there :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

haha, i'm not necessarily not going--my attendance was going to be entirely dependent on if i would know anyone there (pathetic? entirely.)

and well, i'm a fifth year and all my premed friends are MS1s right now; hence, still more pathetically, posting this to see if any sdn folks would be there :laugh:

Yah, I didn't have too many pre-med friends when I was in school - but I'm in the same position (well, not a 5th year technically since I graduated, but most of the people from my science classes that I got to know are MSIs now) as far as who I would know there.

Still, free fajitas trumps all that. :D

Yah, I didn't have too many pre-med friends when I was in school - but I'm in the same position (well, not a 5th year technically since I graduated, but most of the people from my science classes that I got to know are MSIs now) as far as who I would know there.

Still, free fajitas trumps all that. :D

Well in that case, can nonAggie, exmedical students attend? Free food should trump that as well I think....

How's the wedding planning going? Shooting for the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread makes me want to move to Texas...I've always secretly wished I lived there :(

"I wasn't born here, but I got here as quick as I could."™

That is the opening page to my "lil" brothers baby book... He was born in Minnesota but we were back in Texas by the time he was 3 months old... I however am a natural born Texan and can't wait to move back in July!

in case anyone doesn't keep up with TBT:
http://vimeo.com/3514904
(even better: fullscreen and HD icons for max awesomeness!)

Karen's helped me a lot the last 3 years
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i know i've already replied to this post, but i just wanted to reemphasize this to any lurkers from a&m:

there's probably not one thing in this entire forum that i agree with more.

with the gpa like i have, there is absolutely no way that i would have had the success this cycle that i've enjoyed without her help.

although we like to compare mdapps and obsess over numbers, this process is unfortunately a lot more subjective than we would like to admit. This amazing woman will get your life/stats compacted into the application that will win you an interview, but then, more importantly, she'll coach you how to make those subjective impressions that will win the forgiveness of 'iffy' application areas, as well as that lucrative, whimsicle adcom approval.

make no mistake: if youre from a&m, YOU NEED TO CONSIDER EVERYTHING SHE SAYS AS GOLD.

in case anyone doesn't keep up with TBT:
http://vimeo.com/3514904
(even better: fullscreen and HD icons for max awesomeness!)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i know i've already replied to this post, but i just wanted to reemphasize this to any lurkers from a&m:

there's probably not one thing in this entire forum that i agree with more.

with the gpa like i have, there is absolutely no way that i would have had the success this cycle that i've enjoyed without her help.

although we like to compare mdapps and obsess over numbers, this process is unfortunately a lot more subjective than we would like to admit. This amazing woman will get your life/stats compacted into the application that will win you an interview, but then, more importantly, she'll coach you how to make those subjective impressions that will win the forgiveness of 'iffy' application areas, as well as that lucrative, whimsicle adcom approval.

make no mistake: if youre from a&m, YOU NEED TO CONSIDER EVERYTHING SHE SAYS AS GOLD.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Get to know her freshman year, future-md/do-ags.

This thread makes me want to move to Texas...I've always secretly wished I lived there :(
Well we have a lot of catching up to do with even Iowa.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Tootsie Roll assortment, a bag of Reese's miniature peanut butter cups, and a huge bag of wint-o-green life-savers to which I am addicted.

I love those lifesavers - especially when you get a soft one that just crumbles in your mouth... If you don't know what I'm talking about, this sounds disgusting.

I'm addicted to those valentines candy hearts though. I bought 10 bags the day after valentines day for about 7 bucks. I'm really lucky that I love a candy that everyone hates so much :laugh:

I almost showed restraint today by not getting out of bed. Then I checked my blackberry calendar and saw I had two tests today (which I didn't study for, and probably failed, but whatever) and I had to walk to class in the rain (it was storming this morning in Austin)....ahhh fml.

What classes?

I just got raped by a discrete math test today, and the sad part is I don't even care :laugh: The worst kind of senioritis is the "i'm accepted and nothing I do from now on matters" kind.

I just got raped by a discrete math test today, and the sad part is I don't even care :laugh: The worst kind of senioritis is the "i'm accepted and nothing I do from now on matters" kind.

Ahh discrete math, where you have to prove that 2 is greater than 1 and that 2 parallel lines can eventually intersect. :rolleyes:

Though partial differential equations still gives me nightmares :scared:

Ahh discrete math, where you have to prove that 2 is greater than 1 and that 2 parallel lines can eventually intersect. :rolleyes:
Only someone who doesn't know much about discrete math would say that. :(

Pretty sure I was a math minor. :(
That alone doesn't necessarily mean much. I've known people who don't really know the basics in what they majored in.

Though partial differential equations still gives me nightmares :scared:

The only reason I got an A in diff eq was because our fobby professor (more on that in a bit) gave us the exact test as a review, just with different coefficients.

He once told us that air resistance is a good thing because "if you didnt then every time it rains you would die!"

Pretty sure I was a math minor. :(
Computer science is all discrete math.. :shrug:

Was there much discrete math in your minor? I think it would be very easy to score a minor solely in continuous math courses...

128834565736395555.jpg

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-...he-2008-Big-12-title----with-an-asterisk.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

soo... anyone have any information on waitlist movement....more specifically has anyone heard of any waitlist movement for A&M yet? Just curious.

As I am getting fin aid info about my other schools, I am realizing how much more I love Texas:D

While we did beat Oklahoma and Missouri, I have to admit this is kind of silly.

We know. Every Texas fan points this out as if it somehow gives credibility to their argument that they should have been in the game. No one got screwed here, those are the rules of the conference Texas agreed to when they agreed to join the Big 12. I didn't see any Texas fans rushing to give the Fiesta Bowl berth to Tech, which according to their logic Tech should have received (after all, Tech DID beat Texas). Whatever.

What's better, yellerteeth is now denying that he even knew about it. Yeah, he probably spends 10-12 hours a day in that building and doesn't notice. :rolleyes: This is 10x worse than when he had those "Texas state champions" rings made after they beat us, Tech, and TCU in the same year. :rolleyes: :barf:

I have a LOT of respect for Texas and their fanbase (the ones that actually WENT to Texas, not the t-shirt t-sip fans you see in Walmart or the ones that go to some random college in Iowa claiming "I've been a Texas fan my whole life"). But I fail to understand the whiny attitude adopted by Mack and some of the fans. (This next part is not directed at you, OP). Yes, you beat both of those teams. But you know how the BCS works, and it's worked to your advantage before so quit your damn whining and be happy that you're playing in January bowl games for crying out loud.

I've always wondered what people who go to A&M like about it better than UT. I mean UT is always rated better academically, is better known and respected, has better sports teams, is more liberal, and attracts better students in general. Is it that their families all went to A&M or they like living in a small town better? Any other reasons?

Just to gather a general consensus....when does contacting a dean post-waitlist become overbearing/annoying?

I am specifically asking about UTH and Dr. Kellaway. So far, I sent her a short e-mail 2 days after match saying I really wanted to go to UTH, and then a month later I sent her a more formal typed out LOintent/update letter. I have not had a response to either one of those-I know that I am probably one of hundreds who have sent her something, so I am not really overthinking the lack of response too much.

I just want to make sure I do everything that I can, so I can look back and know I tried. So should I try e-mailing again, or calling? (The lady I nanny for is an OB-GYN, and she told me when she applied, she literally called every single day and would talk to the dean of the school she wanted at least once a week :confused:-I definitely won't do that but she keeps on stressing to me that I should do "whatever" it takes)

Or should I just let it go and wait to see what happens? Thanks in advance :)

I've always wondered what people who go to A&M like about it better than UT. I mean UT is always rated better academically, is better known and respected, has better sports teams, is more liberal, and attracts better students in general. Is it that their families all went to A&M or they like living in a small town better? Any other reasons?

Intangible. A&M, and College Station in general, is a very polarizing school system / place, the reasons for which go far beyond the length of any post I feel like typing right now. :laugh:

I grew up in Austin- wanted to get away from my parents for college. Not that I don't love Austin or my parents, I just wanted to be on my own terms during school. Plus I started out as a meteorology major and the only 2 programs in Texas are A&M or Tech and I was NOT going to Tech.

Just to gather a general consensus....when does contacting a dean post-waitlist become overbearing/annoying?

I am specifically asking about UTH and Dr. Kellaway. So far, I sent her a short e-mail 2 days after match saying I really wanted to go to UTH, and then a month later I sent her a more formal typed out LOintent/update letter. I have not had a response to either one of those-I know that I am probably one of hundreds who have sent her something, so I am not really overthinking the lack of response too much.

I just want to make sure I do everything that I can, so I can look back and know I tried. So should I try e-mailing again, or calling? (The lady I nanny for is an OB-GYN, and she told me when she applied, she literally called every single day and would talk to the dean of the school she wanted at least once a week :confused:-I definitely won't do that but she keeps on stressing to me that I should do "whatever" it takes)

Or should I just let it go and wait to see what happens? Thanks in advance :)

It can't hurt to send an email just to confirm that she received your updates. Just make sure that she got it, you know?

Well without getting into an A&M/UT flame war, I'll cover why I would have gone to A&M over UT (had I chosen to stay in state). A&M has some really excellent programs, some better than UT's. Their engineering is top notch. UT's is excellent as well though so that may be a wash.

You say UT is more liberal as if that's a plus for every single person. There are plenty of conservatives still out there in Texas. I was one when I left for college and my time at Emory hasn't changed my conservative leanings.

The whole academic ranking thing doesn't mean much to me and many people I know. UT ain't a top 30 school and neither is A&M so in my mind that's a wash. Sure UT has many stronger programs overall but A&M is no slouch in any of its notable fields/ anything I'd want to do. Besides even if UT has a better reputation nationally, if you wanna stay in Texas that's a pretty moot point. Within Texas they're both equally respected (by objective standards).

It's just silly to pick a college on the quality of the sports teams.

But my key thing is: people who go to A&M love being Aggies. People who go to UT love everything associated with the experience: the nightlife, the sports, the city but I rarely if ever hear people say they loved just being a longhorn. I felt like being an undergrad at A&M would something special. On the flipside, I felt that the longhorn experience is something I could mimic later on as a UT grad student or just living in Austin.

*Note the preceeding opinions were those of someone who didn't go to either UT or A&M.

Well without getting into an A&M/UT flame war, I'll cover why I would have gone to A&M over UT (had I chosen to stay in state). A&M has some really excellent programs, some better than UT's. Their engineering is top notch. UT's is excellent as well though so that may be a wash.

You say UT is more liberal as if that's a plus for every single person. There are plenty of conservatives still out there in Texas. I was one when I left for college and my time at Emory hasn't changed my conservative leanings.

The whole academic ranking thing doesn't mean much to me and many people I know. UT ain't a top 30 school and neither is A&M so in my mind that's a wash. Sure UT has many stronger programs overall but A&M is no slouch in any of its notable fields/ anything I'd want to do. Besides even if UT has a better reputation nationally, if you wanna stay in Texas that's a pretty moot point. Within Texas they're both equally respected (by objective standards).

But my key thing is: people who go to A&M love being Aggies. People who go to UT love everything associated with the experience: the nightlife, the sports, the city but I rarely if ever hear people say they loved just being a longhorn. I felt like being an undergrad at A&M would something special. On the flipside, I felt that the longhorn experience is something I could mimic later on as a UT grad student or just living in Austin.

*Note the preceeding opinions were those of someone who didn't go to either UT or A&M.

:troll:

Where do people get all these nifty gif files?

And at any rate, I wasn't trying to troll. I was just countering what I thought was a blanket assumption that UT is better than A&M in all aspects. Sure the bit about Aggies/Longhorns was a bit inciteful, but my major point was that they're both very good schools and one shouldn't automatically discount one or the other. It all depends on what you're looking for. No one school is the perfect match for everyone.

Where do people get all these nifty gif files?

And at any rate, I wasn't trying to troll. I was just countering what I thought was a blanket assumption that UT is better than A&M in all aspects. Sure the bit about Aggies/Longhorns was a bit inciteful, but my major point was that they're both very good schools and one shouldn't automatically discount one or the other. It all depends on what you're looking for. No one school is the perfect match for everyone.
He meant DrSno was trolling by the way.

Well said.

I thought it was interesting that Bush's daughter went to UT instead of A&M.

Ponger, to say that A&M's reputation is as good as UT's is either ignorance or denial. That's not "trolling", that's just stating a fact. Perhaps what you said about Aggies wanting to be Aggies more than UT students wanting to be Longhorns is true. But the why was what my initial question was trying to find out.

Edit: Note that it was Sean's completely randomly bringing up UT football to disparage them that prompted me to bring up the question of why A&Mers think their school is better.

Last edited:
*sigh*... must...resist... :laugh:

Proud Aggie Engineer here.

Exactly which engineering fields are considered better at A&M than at UT?

I don't know all that much about engineering but I know that UT's petroleum engineering and electrical engineering programs are rated better than A&M's. Also, on US News they rank UT as a better engineering school in general than A&M.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/eng/search

Exactly which engineering fields are considered better at A&M than at UT?

I don't know all that much about engineering but I know that UT's petroleum engineering and electrical engineering programs are rated better than A&M's. Also, on US News they rank UT as a better engineering school in general than A&M.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/eng/search

Grad school=/=undergrad. I've heard that A&M's undergrad engineering program is better.

But I went to neither, so it's just word-of-mouth.

Ponger, to say that A&M's reputation is as good as UT's is either ignorance or denial. That's not "trolling", that's just stating a fact.

Reputation: overall quality or character as seen or judged by people in general

Until you can come up with a method for quantifying the general public's judgment of "good," don't waste people's time by attempting to justify your trolling by making your personal sentiment appear as "fact."

Toothbrush bag...

Blah, blah, blah.

Only an Aggie can understand what's so great about being an Aggie, so I'm not even going to try to explain it.

As far as academics go, like Ponger said, neither are a top 30 school so it really is a wash. It's not like we're comparing A&M/UT vs an ivy league school here. Neither school is academically superior because there are some aspects in which one school is better and vice versa.

Blah, blah, blah.

Only an Aggie can understand what's so great about being an Aggie, so I'm not even going to try to explain it.

As far as academics go, like Ponger said, neither are a top 30 school so it really is a wash. It's not like we're comparing A&M/UT vs an ivy league school here. Neither school is academically superior because there are some aspects in which one school is better and vice versa.

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it."

I didn't even attend CS for my undergrad, and I still like the place.

No one in their right mind would attend that hell-hole in College Station. There's only 45,000 crazy people there any given year who at one point chose the place over UT. They are all delusional and misguided and will not make anything of themselves. None of them will ever become doctors, lawyers or great engineers.

Go to UT if you want to get into medical school all ye highschool lurkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.