The Republic of Texas XXXI: Everything's not just bigger, it's more awesome too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats MicroSteph!

Thanks you guys! And congrats to all the matches that happened today and for those that will certainly happen in the future! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations everyone who matched!

Matched to A&M!!!! Finally I can breathe again! Thank God! Congrats to people who matched and good luck to those on wait lists!

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to TTEP!

While it was my last choice, Im still very grateful and happy for it! I'm so relieved and so glad to know that I'm finally going to medical school. I can't believe all my hard work finally payed off.

Congratulations to everyone else who matched. And to those who didn't match or like me didn't match into your top program, keep up the hope and be patient.

I really hope I get off the UTH waitlist, but I won't ever stop being grateful for getting the opportunity at TTEP.

By the way how can we find out about the waitlists we are on and our position on those waitlists? Can we email the schools to find out?

Also I haven't recieved an email from TTEP, did anyone else?

Matched to TTEP!

While it was my last choice, Im still very grateful and happy for it! I'm so relieved and so glad to know that I'm finally going to medical school. I can't believe all my hard work finally payed off.

Congratulations to everyone else who matched. And to those who didn't match or like me didn't match into your top program, keep up the hope and be patient.

I really hope I get off the UTH waitlist, but I won't ever stop being grateful for getting the opportunity at TTEP.

By the way how can we find out about the waitlists we are on and our position on those waitlists? Can we email the schools to find out?

I just got mine

To those that did not match, do not give up on your dream. My daughter did not match the first time she applied. She applied way too late. The next year she was ready that first day you can apply. She got 3 pre-match acceptances. She is now a pediatric resident. Good luck to you and CONGRATULATIONS to those that matched. After the first two years in medical school it really gets exciting when you start rotations.

I know some of you may be disappointed to have matched lower on your list, but you will come to find very quickly in medical school that you are incredibly fortunate to be able to pursue this career. It will be hard and you won't always be happy, but if you keep your eyes open, you'll realize that getting in to ANY medical school was a minor miracle and will have a profound impact on your future.

Don't let pride hamper your celebration. You're going to be a doctor regardless of the school you got in to. Celebrate it. It's a fantastic achievement.

To those that did not match, do not give up on your dream. My daughter did not match the first time she applied. She applied way too late. The next year she was ready that first day you can apply. She got 3 pre-match acceptances. She is now a pediatric resident. Good luck to you and CONGRATULATIONS to those that matched. After the first two years in medical school it really gets exciting when you start rotations.

Good to know. lol :laugh:

I know some of you may be disappointed to have matched lower on your list, but you will come to find very quickly in medical school that you are incredibly fortunate to be able to pursue this career. It will be hard and you won't always be happy, but if you keep your eyes open, you'll realize that getting in to ANY medical school was a minor miracle and will have a profound impact on your future.

Don't let pride hamper your celebration. You're going to be a doctor regardless of the school you got in to. Celebrate it. It's a fantastic achievement.

Exactly!! I can't say I'm not a little disappointed I didn't match UTH, but the fact is that I matched and I'm just so grateful for that. Im holding out hope to get in UTH later on but if I don't Im going to be happy no matter what, because as you said, Im going to be a doctor regardless!!!

:love:

ArmyBound - Good Luck on your Match Day. I have watched you on SDN. That day will be an incredibly exciting day. More important and exciting then graduation.

:thumbup:

Exactly!! I can't say I'm not a little disappointed I didn't match UTH, but the fact is that I matched and I'm just so grateful for that. Im holding out hope to get in UTH later on but if I don't Im going to be happy no matter what, because as you said, Im going to be a doctor regardless!!!

:love:

You did great - congratulations! I thought TTEP was an awesome program. You will be happy either way, I'm sure, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

ArmyBound - Good Luck on your Match Day. I have watched you on SDN. That day will be an incredibly exciting day. More important and exciting then graduation.
I remember your words of encouragement when I was re-applying to medical school yet again. Thanks for hanging around!

I was fortunate enough to match in to urology last week. We do an early match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember your words of encouragement when I was re-applying to medical school yet again. Thanks for hanging around!

I was fortunate enough to match in to urology last week. We do an early match.

That is awesome Army!!! I am kind of sad though that you don't get to experience all the excitement on that day. At UTH it was so much fun.:)

For some reason that bolded statement frightened me.

To all of those who did not match (especially Sassafrass who's now in the bathroom),

Getting to log in and see "Congratulations, you have matched..." after not matching the past 2 years was the most amazing feeling in the world. I know people always post stupid stuff about "keeping the faith aliveee and don't give up!!", but seriously, don't give up if it's something you really want. My parents have tried to talk me out of this for 2 years now. If being a physician is the only career you could see yourself having, go for it. It appears the third time really is a charm.

:thumbup: I briefly read your story in another thread and it was incredibly inspirational. I'm so happy that you got in this time around, and I can honestly say that I'll be using your story as inspiration in the future.

Hi guys,

I'm just studying for the MCAT right now and will be applying for the entering class of 2015. I was just wondering what you guys think about the importance of research for various TMDSAS schools? I imagine UTSW would probably want a good bit of research, right? Would I be able to get away with not having research at place like UTH or UTSA? What about volunteering?

My stats right now are ~3.85 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA. Don't have an MCAT score obviously, but I have always been good at standardized tests--1510/1600 on the SAT (99%tile), and 177/180 on the LSAT (99.7%tile). Shooting for a 38, but fairly confident about scoring at least a 35. I also 3 doctors that have already agreed to let me shadow, so I expect to have a lot of shadowing experience.

Yes you can get away with no research. I had below average stats and no research and interviewed at several places in texas. Clinical experience and shadowing are way more important. I'd say the only place it's a must is maybe utsw.

Hi guys,

I'm just studying for the MCAT right now and will be applying for the entering class of 2015. I was just wondering what you guys think about the importance of research for various TMDSAS schools? I imagine UTSW would probably want a good bit of research, right? Would I be able to get away with not having research at place like UTH or UTSA? What about volunteering?

My stats right now are ~3.85 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA. Don't have an MCAT score obviously, but I have always been good at standardized tests--1510/1600 on the SAT (99%tile), and 177/180 on the LSAT (99.7%tile). Shooting for a 38, but fairly confident about scoring at least a 35. I also 3 doctors that have already agreed to let me shadow, so I expect to have a lot of shadowing experience.

I don't see you mention anything about service or leadership. Those are important. But it's also important to do stuff because you enjoy it, or believe in it, more than it is to just do something because you think it'll look good on an application. If you can accomplish both, then even better.

Be sure to get volunteering down. Both in a medical setting and outside of a medical setting.

So I got a pre-match offer in December that I accepted (did all the paperwork and paid deposit) then I also got the FMAT scholarship (did all that paperwork too). I also ranked Texas Tech as number 1.

Then I check just now and it says sorry, you did not match at any schools.

WTF??! what does this mean? I am freaking out!!!

You should probably call them first thing in the morning. I wouldn't leave something like this to e-mail.

Did anyone else see that thread about that super bitter person bad mouthing Texas medical school admissions?

Lol...he/she got torn apart for like 2 pages haha :laugh:

I really don't care but the only thing that upset me was the fact that he/she was degrading our hard earned acceptances...that kind of pissed me off :thumbdown:

Yeah, that guys a douche, troll or not. On the up side I'm gonna be a doctor!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations to you all!

For those of you that didn't get any luck, keep your head up. If you don't get in this cycle, you can always reapply.

For those of you that got in, do you mind posting your stats and giving any tips to those applying this upcoming May :D :D

Hey all!

I'm a bit of a lurker here on SDN but may I say congrats to you all :) From what I've seen you all are hard workers who deserve no less.

I did have a question for you as it seems I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle..

Before the match results came in, I wrote a Letter of Intent to an OOS school that I have strong ties to. I will hear back from the school in a matter of 2 weeks or so.
Then this past Friday, I ended up matching my top choice, unexpected but awesome!

I guess I don't really understand the politics, but would it be ok accept my match's offer now until I hear back from the OOS? I will NOT be going back on my word (Letter of Intent), but I don't want to terminate my TMDSAS application until I know for sure the OOS will take me.

Thanks all :)

Hey all!

I'm a bit of a lurker here on SDN but may I say congrats to you all :) From what I've seen you all are hard workers who deserve no less.

I did have a question for you as it seems I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle..

Before the match results came in, I wrote a Letter of Intent to an OOS school that I have strong ties to. I will hear back from the school in a matter of 2 weeks or so.
Then this past Friday, I ended up matching my top choice, unexpected but awesome!

I guess I don't really understand the politics, but would it be ok accept my match's offer now until I hear back from the OOS? I will NOT be going back on my word (Letter of Intent), but I don't want to terminate my TMDSAS application until I know for sure the OOS will take me.

Thanks all :)

Congratulations on your acceptance. Yes, you can accept it and then withdraw it before May 15th when you receive offer from OOS. Please anybody correct me if I am wrong :)

This is one of the best, most inspirational statements I have ever read on SDN. Thank you for all of your insight and advice army. Best of luck to you as you begin your Urology residency, seems like we are both embarking on new journeys, I hope things go well...

Matched to TTEP!

Yeah! Congratulations! I am legitimately happy to hear you got accepted! I understand your frustations about not matching to a higher ranked school, but you have such a great and optimistic attitude, please don't let anything ruin that. Also, check it out...let this statement sink in for a second...YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR! haha you did it man! :thumbup:

Thanks you guys! And congrats to all the matches that happened today and for those that will certainly happen in the future! :thumbup:

Hey! Look at you! Congratulations UTH is such an awesome school, I wish you the best steph!

I really appreciate the kind words for those of us that didn't match :oops:

Time to make a plan for next year! I'm still going to Cancun with DrBarbie because I will most certainly need a break from all of the re-studying for my 3rd MCAT. I still have hope that it's going to happen eventually!!!!

And I would like to offer a most sincere congratulations to all of you who did match. I'm so proud of all of you!

Awww Sassafrass, I am saddened that you didn't match I was really rooting for ya. You seem to have a very good attitude about what has happened and I think that is what will lead you to success whether it's cycle or the next. Keep the waitlist on the back of your mind, but I also think it'd be a good idea to buckle down and think of ways to improve your application.

Enjoy Cancun, be safe, and I wish you the best for next cycle, if you even need it.

Bigtruckguy wrote some excellent advice earlier that I think goes for everyone who hasnt been accepted yet. There is a lot of emotion and passion involved with a rejection but if you can get past that and objectively analyze your application and see where your weaknesses are and where you can improve I think it will go a very long way towards success in future cycles.

To all of those who did not match (especially Sassafrass who's now in the bathroom),

Getting to log in and see "Congratulations, you have matched..." after not matching the past 2 years was the most amazing feeling in the world. I know people always post stupid stuff about "keeping the faith aliveee and don't give up!!", but seriously, don't give up if it's something you really want. My parents have tried to talk me out of this for 2 years now. If being a physician is the only career you could see yourself having, go for it. It appears the third time really is a charm.

You are an inspiration, your persistence and determination paid off big time. Huge congratulations again and I sincerely believe you deserve it. I wish us the best as we embark on our new journeys in medical school.

Yeah! Congratulations! I am legitimately happy to hear you got accepted! I understand your frustations about not matching to a higher ranked school, but you have such a great and optimistic attitude, please don't let anything ruin that. Also, check it out...let this statement sink in for a second...YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR! haha you did it man! :thumbup:

Its definitely a wonderful feeling. I can't even explain how relieved I felt upon reading that I matched. I know I'm going to be happy no matter what.

Its posters like you and several others in this thread that have helped me stay so positive. Thats why I am glad you ended up at your top choice. This fall will be an exciting one for all of us!

Awww Sassafrass, I am saddened that you didn't match I was really rooting for ya. You seem to have a very good attitude about what has happened and I think that is what will lead you to success whether it's cycle or the next. Keep the waitlist on the back of your mind, but I also think it'd be a good idea to buckle down and think of ways to improve your application.

Enjoy Cancun, be safe, and I wish you the best for next cycle, if you even need it.

Bigtruckguy wrote some excellent advice earlier that I think goes for everyone who hasnt been accepted yet. There is a lot of emotion and passion involved with a rejection but if you can get past that and objectively analyze your application and see where your weaknesses are and where you can improve I think it will go a very long way towards success in future cycles.

You're the best :love:

Some of these posts I'm reading are truly inspiring. You guys all seem like class acts, true to the Texas spirit. We may be starting out at different schools but together we're all embarking on a long road to one day become physicians. I'm privileged to be beginning this journey with all of you and I sincerely look forward to having you as colleagues in the future.

Is anyone else confused about the time period between May 15 and June 1st? If you hold one tx school at may 15, can you still come of the waitlist of another tx school between may 15 and june 1st? I know its far away, but I am just trying to figure out the max i would have to extend my lease.

Is anyone else confused about the time period between May 15 and June 1st? If you hold one tx school at may 15, can you still come of the waitlist of another tx school between may 15 and june 1st? I know its far away, but I am just trying to figure out the max i would have to extend my lease.

Yes, I believe you can get waitlisted in until June 1st. On may 15, you just have to withdraw all acceptances from non-tmdsas schools.

Do schools send individual acceptances off of wait lists just sporadically/as spots are created from now until July-ish, or do they send them out in batches after certain periods of time?

Do schools send individual acceptances off of wait lists just sporadically/as spots are created from now until July-ish, or do they send them out in batches after certain periods of time?

Im not sure but I would imagine they are made on an individual basis and not in batches. However its also likely that multiple spots will open up at once.