The Republic of Texas XXXII: Everything is better in the Lonestar State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GandalfTheWhite

Chillin in Isengard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how this thread is created every year for Texas applicants,

I went ahead and created it as a forum for discussion about the TMDSAS application cycle, general questions, and a thread for all other questions not answered by the TMDSAS thread and the school specific discussions.

There are a lot of great applicants that I have talked to here applying for the 2013-2014 cycle and I feel this is a great place to connect and discuss ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Aw, yeah. It's that time again.

Anyone have ideas which TX schools send out interview invites earliest and those that send out the latest?

Aw, yeah. It's that time again.

Anyone have ideas which TX schools send out interview invites earliest and those that send out the latest?

I think TCOM and UTMB send them out pretty early - end of June/July (correct me if I am wrong!). The rest are in July except for UT Southwestern and UT Houston, which the first invites come out in August.

I can't wait! (Literally, I hate waiting).

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think TCOM and UTMB send them out pretty early - end of June/July (correct me if I am wrong!). The rest are in July except for UT Southwestern and UT Houston, which the first invites come out in August.

I can't wait! (Literally, I hate waiting).

Good luck to everyone!

Same here. The one downside to applying early is waiting longer LOL...

I just hope the other texas applicants find and use this thread to their benefit.

anyone start shopping for interview attire yet?

I also just saw this in the 2012-2013 UTMB post:

(This was for the 2011-2012 cycle)

TCOM: 6/23
UTMB: 6/27
El Paso: 6/29
Lubbock: 7/6
TAMU: 7/11
UTSA: 7/18
UTSW: 8/12
UTH: 8/15

TTEP: 6/29
TTUHSC: 7/6
TAMHSC: 7/11
UTHSCSA: 7/18

Are these interview invites or first interview dates?

i received the e-mail notification from UTHSCSA and UTSW.
UTMB, it seems like, should be sending out notification e-mails this coming week about receiving primaries.

I am so happy that most of the UT schools dont have secondaries.

i received the e-mail notification from UTHSCSA and UTSW.
UTMB, it seems like, should be sending out notification e-mails this coming week about receiving primaries.

I am so happy that most of the UT schools dont have secondaries.

Yeah, some of those schools send out II a lot sooner than I thought. And I am SO happy that some didn't have secondaries, and that I was able to get everything for Texas complete before I did AMCAS. Are other people doing AMCAS too? I actually just became a resident of Texas this month, and when I first moved I didn't even realize that Texas had it's own application system (or had so many schools!) - I'm from the north east.

El Paso: 6/29
Lubbock: 7/6
TAMU: 7/11
UTSA: 7/18

That's a good reference list.

Does anyone know if all TX schools will send a email confirmation that they received your application?

Seeing that UTSA emailed their confirmation earlier than last year, anyone think the interview invites from UTSA will be out faster?

Yeah, some of those schools send out II a lot sooner than I thought. And I am SO happy that some didn't have secondaries, and that I was able to get everything for Texas complete before I did AMCAS. Are other people doing AMCAS too? I actually just became a resident of Texas this month, and when I first moved I didn't even realize that Texas had it's own application system (or had so many schools!) - I'm from the north east.

I was born in NYC. Where are you from?

That's a good reference list.

Does anyone know if all TX schools will send a email confirmation that they received your application?

Seeing that UTSA emailed their confirmation earlier than last year, anyone think the interview invites from UTSA will be out faster?

I only know of UTHSCA, UTSW, UTMB sending out e-mails.
Maybe a med student or someone else will shed some light on this.

UTHSCSA mentioned their earliest interview dates are in August in the email :( sorry

I was born in NYC. Where are you from?

I'm originally from NH, so Texas was a big change. But NH has no state schools, so I was first looking I didn't even realize how awesome it was to be a resident of a state that actually has options haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just lucked out with Texas. And I happen to love the state too! People are much more hospitable here.

Yeah I definitely noticed that!

Also - does anyone know if applications are reviewed in the order in which they were received? If that would be the case, should earlier interviews be expected (if they are going to offer them of course), or would they keep pushing back a possible interview for later dates if they aren't sure they want to offer one.

Yeah I definitely noticed that!

Also - does anyone know if applications are reviewed in the order in which they were received? If that would be the case, should earlier interviews be expected (if they are going to offer them of course), or would they keep pushing back a possible interview for later dates if they aren't sure they want to offer one.

its a variety of things.
Texas does rolling admission which is basically first come first serve.
However, I think they are ordered in the weeks or months of when they are received.

For example, if 100 people submitted in may, they will rank them according to gpa/mcat/etc and then offer interview to fill the available slots...

but if you have a low stats and submit in May, it wont matter since you will be at the bottom of the pile every time.

If you are competitive and dont receive an interview immediately, they will re-evaulate the pile again as the application cycle progresses so your app gets re-reviewed until you get an II or dont qualify for one.

its a variety of things.
Texas does rolling admission which is basically first come first serve.
However, I think they are ordered in the weeks or months of when they are received.

For example, if 100 people submitted in may, they will rank them according to gpa/mcat/etc and then offer interview to fill the available slots...

but if you have a low stats and submit in May, it wont matter since you will be at the bottom of the pile every time.

If you are competitive and dont receive an interview immediately, they will re-evaulate the pile again as the application cycle progresses so your app gets re-reviewed until you get an II or dont qualify for one.

Interesting. Never knew that:thumbup:

dropping by to say hi :) I think we'll all get to know each other quite well as the season progresses.

I know that with AMCAS you can add letters after you submit your app. Is it the same for TMDSAS?

Do we know when the "first batch" of applicants submitted their applications? If I submitted my application next week, is it late?

I know that with AMCAS you can add letters after you submit your app. Is it the same for TMDSAS?

Yes you can add letters, but I believe that your letters go to ALL the schools so you cant pick and choose which school gets your other letters.

Do we know when the "first batch" of applicants submitted their applications? If I submitted my application next week, is it late?

First batch probably submitted the first week of may. Never underestimate the overachievers. :laugh:

As long as you submit before August, youre considered early.
Before july is really early
Before June is super duper early
Before May 5th is mega ultra early.

Thanks Gandalf!

I had a question and posted it on the TMDSAS but no one's replied... Since I'm really close to submitting my application, I thought it would be worth a shot posting it here. On the activities sections, it says to list the same activity under all of the categories in which it fits. Should we keep the description of the activity the same? Or should we write the description so that it shows why it fits under the specific category?

Thanks Gandalf!

I had a question and posted it on the TMDSAS but no one's replied... Since I'm really close to submitting my application, I thought it would be worth a shot posting it here. On the activities sections, it says to list the same activity under all of the categories in which it fits. Should we keep the description of the activity the same? Or should we write the description so that it shows why it fits under the specific category?

Yep, keep it the same so they know that it is the one that applies to different categories. If you switch it up, they might not make the connection.

Stopping by to say Hi! Already submitted my application back in the beginning of May but taking the MCAT this week on the 20th. Ready to get it over with already! I'm currently living in Houston so I would love to stay around here. Good luck to everyone.

Yep, keep it the same so they know that it is the one that applies to different categories. If you switch it up, they might not make the connection.

You seem to know a lot about the application process man. You did the Biomed Sci program at UNT right? I remember them telling me that there was an application workshop prior to the beginning of the program. Did you learn anything about the Texas application process that you found surprising or didn't know beforehand? There's nothing I can do since my application has already been submitted, but I'm just curious now

I've heard about how you can list which school is your #1 choice... is this true?

I've heard about how you can list which school is your #1 choice... is this true?

The TMDSAS does work through a match system after pre-match offers. Google it for more info.

Yes you can add letters, but I believe that your letters go to ALL the schools so you cant pick and choose which school gets your other letters.

First batch probably submitted the first week of may. Never underestimate the overachievers. :laugh:

As long as you submit before August, youre considered early.
Before july is really early
Before June is super duper early
Before May 5th is mega ultra early.

So these are the dates for the submitting the application, not including the processing time? I'm going to submit most likely in mid-July.

Last edited:
So these are the dates for the submitting the application, not including the processing time? I'm going to submit most likely in mid-July.

I'd assume mid-July is not early or late. Probably average.

Is anyone having trouble with TCOM portal? It keeps lagging everytime I log on! I don't have problems with other school portals

Is anyone having trouble with TCOM portal? It keeps lagging everytime I log on! I don't have problems with other school portals

Try switching browsers. Had trouble with chrome. Worked fine on Firefox.

Had that same issue with the tech secondaries also.

Hey y'all,

Best state in the nation!

Hope Texas shows me some love with my below avg MCAT :(

27 MCAT, 3.9 GPA. Retaking it in August though.

URM?

Provided your clinical, volunteering, and leadership experiences are in order, you should get atleast 1-2 interviews based on your current stats (TCOM/A&M) and probably at TTEP as well.

My friend has a 3.88 and a 27 and he got interviews at those three places.

URM?

Provided your clinical, volunteering, and leadership experiences are in order, you should get atleast 1-2 interviews based on your current stats (TCOM/A&M) and probably at TTEP as well.

My friend has a 3.88 and a 27 and he got interviews at those three places.

More like ORM lol and that's reassuring. I have an interesting EC background actually which I hope to leverage as much as possible. Did your friend get accepted anywhere by any chance?

More like ORM lol and that's reassuring. I have an interesting EC background actually which I hope to leverage as much as possible. Did your friend get accepted anywhere by any chance?

IDK about that, but he is going to TTEP so atleast that school.

I'm glad to see that these Texas threads are still around. I was the starter of the RoT XXX thread. Good luck to all of you!

I'm glad to see that these Texas threads are still around. I was the starter of the RoT XXX thread. Good luck to all of you!

Dont worry. I plan on keeping this tradition alive... at least for the next couple of years until I pass the torch onto someone else LOL :thumbup:

If you are friends with any of the Med students, kindly ask them to occasionally visit this thread to answer the pre-med student's questions.

Thanks.

Nice, hope I get some of that same luck this cycle. Your stats are beyond solid man!

Im glad you think so. That 3.4 uGPA is my only sticking point... that and the zero hospital volunteering :laugh:

Im pretty sure Im going to have to send LOIs to get interviewed at UTSW/UTH/Baylor

I have been working outdoor a lot. Hopefully I get early interviews so I can earn a couple points for being tan hahaha. Applicants these days need all the help they can get...

Good luck to everyone this year! I'm looking forward to receiving those confirmations everyone is talking about...my secondaries are in but TMDSAS is still processing my primary (submitted 6-5).

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for y'all :)

27 MCAT, 3.9 GPA. Retaking it in August though.

I had a similar MCAT but a 3.5ish GPa. I got interviews at TAMU, UTHSCSA, UTMB, and TCOM after Nov 15. I submitted my app late and secondaries a lot later. Got my first choice in the match, San Antonio. August is really late to retake the MCAT. I'm not sure how much it will alter your chances even if you do well.

Last edited:
I had a similar MCAT but a 3.5ish GPa. I got interviews at TAMU, UTHSCSA, UTMB, and TCOM after Nov 15. I submitted my app late and secondaries a lot later. Got my first choice in the match, San Antonio. August is really late to retake the MCAT. I'm not sure how much it will alter your chances even if you do well.

Well I submitted my app already with the 27 and hope to update them on the new score IF I dont get interviews before then. Congrats to you though! Are you URM?

Thanks! No I'm Indian. I thought I had strong essays though and an interesting background. Yeah I guess I'm saying that up till September they'll be considering your old MCAT (they probably would look at your app early) and by then will have offered a majority of interviews since its rolling. Of course you could be offered a few interviews early with your first score (which I think is very possible), but I imagine if they don't offer you an interview early they may or may not take out your app later in the cycle to reevaluate it. I'm not sure but I imagine it would be harder to get an interview later in the cycle since they have fewer to give out that's why I'm not sure how much a retake that late would help you unless you get a 32+. I think most schools in TX seem to weigh GPA more since there are schools like tamu and UTMB whose Mcats are a 29 average so it's a big plus that your GPA is so high.

I guess a retake is safer than no retake though. I had a friend apply with a 26 and 3.9 initially, and retook in July for a 33. He turned in his app in June. Only got interviewed at tx tech Lubbock, El Paso, and tamu. It almost seems like they hardly considered his second score at the UTs which tend to finish their interview cycle earlier.

Last edited:
Good luck to my fellow Texans! I'm applying to all TX publics except TCOM along with Baylor and some OOS privates.

Thanks! No I'm Indian. I thought I had strong essays though and an interesting background. Yeah I guess I'm saying that up till September they'll be considering your old MCAT (they probably would look at your app early) and by then will have offered a majority of interviews since its rolling. Of course you could be offered a few interviews early with your first score (which I think is very possible), but I imagine if they don't offer you an interview early they may or may not take out your app later in the cycle to reevaluate it. I'm not sure but I imagine it would be harder to get an interview later in the cycle since they have fewer to give out that's why I'm not sure how much a retake that late would help you unless you get a 32+. I think most schools in TX seem to weigh GPA more since there are schools like tamu and UTMB whose Mcats are a 29 average so it's a big plus that your GPA is so high.

I guess a retake is safer than no retake though. I had a friend apply with a 26 and 3.9 initially, and retook in July for a 33. Only got interviewed at tx tech Lubbock, El Paso, and tamu. It almost seems like they hardly considered his second score at the UTs which tend to finish their interview cycle earlier.

probably had to do with the fact that he might have received the retake later in the app cycle.
Ive seen many 3.3-3.5 with 32-37 MCATs get accepted to the UTs (including UTSW) so its not just about the GPA with texas.

Yeah that what I assumed... That at some schools they might not even consider a August MCAT retake score since its so late. They wouldn't get the score until September.