The Republic of Texas XXXIX: Pretty words are not always true, and True words are not always pretty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sam-Elliott-Tombstone-Autographed-Signed-11x14-Photo-Certified.jpg

cVoQXac-2-2.jpg

Welcome, all you Texans and Wanna-be-Texans, to our yearly discussion thread called "The Republic of Texas".

I chose this year's quote and photo to remind everyone that honesty and integrity are crucial in your life as a medical student and doctor. If ever tempted to lie and cheat, imagine this tough cowboy staring you down.

You are welcome to share your progress, questions, and news here, but I ask that you be kind to each other and don't tear each other down. Let's lift each other up, because we all need that in this crazy year of 2020.
Wysdoc

This is a general talk and support thread for Texas school applicants, where we can check in with each other, see where various schools are with their interview process, and just post those things we don't want to put on a school-specific thread. Later on I'll post Wait List updates and such.

I'll answer questions here if I know the answers, but keep the technical questions about TMDSAS process over on the thread we have for that: *~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Let's talk about TMDSAS applications this year:

As you know, the TMDSAS app opened up for you to start working on as usual on May 1, 2020.
TMDSAS staff began their usual careful work of verifying your apps, but instead of transmitting them to schools as soon as finished, they held those early apps for a bit to release them to schools no earlier than June 1. (AMCAS did something similar, releasing apps to schools only after July 10).
Many TMDSAS personnel have been working from home for months, but have still been able to process an amazing number of applications on your behalf. Processing time early on was about 5-6 weeks but is down to 1-2 weeks now.

The deadline for submission of your TMDSAS primary is October 30 this year (usually October 1).

So, how many are applying?

Application_Counts_October_Medical.jpg

There are 857 more completed applications by September 30 this year compared to last year.
And, there could be still more by the end of October.

All y'all should be good at math, right? So with an unchanged number of seats available and 857 more applicants vying for those seats, you should gird yourself with the expectation that our percentage of applicants accepted will be lower this year.

You'll also notice a huge number of people who start the app but never submit it (the top line on the graph).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What the heck is Pre-match? Texas Health Education Service has a good explanation here:
What You Need to Know about Pre-Match Offers

or, for the short version:

Footnote: this 1985 Academy Awards Sally Fields film clip is older than most of you applicants. But the message is, sometimes, despite success, you can be so self-critical that you can't believe people like you.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
When do we start panicking this cycle? :)

Reactions: 5 users
Let's talk about TMDSAS applications this year:

As you know, the TMDSAS app opened up for you to start working on as usual on May 1, 2020.
TMDSAS staff began their usual careful work of verifying your apps, but instead of transmitting them to schools as soon as finished, they held those early apps for a bit to release them to schools no earlier than June 1. (AMCAS did something similar, releasing apps to schools only after July 10).
Many TMDSAS personnel have been working from home for months, but have still been able to process an amazing number of applications on your behalf. Processing time early on was about 5-6 weeks but is down to 1-2 weeks now.

The deadline for submission of your TMDSAS primary is October 30 this year (usually October 1).

So, how many are applying?

View attachment 319998

There are 857 more completed applications by September 30 this year compared to last year.
And, there could be still more by the end of October.

All y'all should be good at math, right? So with an unchanged number of seats available and 857 more applicants vying for those seats, you should gird yourself with the expectation that our percentage of applicants accepted will be lower this year.

You'll also notice a huge number of people who start the app but never submit it (the top line on the graph).

Call me crazy, but I'm trying to look at this as unlikely that this many more people are really and truly ready for medical school right now, even though they applied. As we all know, applying to medical school is a process that takes years of research, service, shadowing, and preparation to get right. I think there were a lot of people rushing their apps when they didn't have their ducks in a row. I would LIKE to think those of us who spent time preparing a strong application after years of prep have little to worry about. True words may not be pretty and I might be wrong, but I refuse to panic.

Of course, with three TMDSAS interviews and two acceptances (albeit not from TMDSAS schools), it's easy for me to say that. Still, I'd love to get some love from a few specific schools, and interviews don't equal acceptances, but I think it's too soon for anyone to panic. I heard from Foster yesterday that their interviews, which usually go into January, will be going into February this year. I bet other schools will be the same, meaning some of us may get invitations in January. Sending hugs to everyone going through this process!

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I'm trying to look at this as unlikely that this many more people are really and truly ready for medical school right now, even though they applied. As we all know, applying to medical school is a process that takes years of research, service, shadowing, and preparation to get right. I think there were a lot of people rushing their apps when they didn't have their ducks in a row. I would LIKE to think those of us who spent time preparing a strong application after years of prep have little to worry about. True words may not be pretty and I might be wrong, but I refuse to panic.

Of course, with three TMDSAS interviews and two acceptances (albeit not from TMDSAS schools), it's easy for me to say that. Still, I'd still love to get some love from a few specific schools, and interviews don't equal acceptances, but I think it's too soon for anyone to panic. I heard from Foster yesterday that their interviews, which usually go into January, will be going into February this year. I bet other schools will be the same, meaning some of us may get invitations in January. Sending hugs to everyone going through this process!
You have a good point, @Drsecondchance
The numbers are really up, there's no doubt about it. However, some of those who applied are not at all qualified or competitive for med school admission, and the ones who are fully prepared will always have a better chance at acceptance.

Lots of interview chances remain over the next few months. The long waiting period between turning everything in and interviewing can be up to 6-7 months! Naturally this will lead to worry and self-doubt, but I encourage you all to have confidence that you have done your part and that the schools are working on reading everything.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Is there a well know percentage of applicants that get prematch offers. Is it consistent or really depends on the year ( strong applicants).

Also are there any schools that accept updates to the application. Most of the schools I have interviewed at implied it will not affect their decision and should not be sent * ahem* southwestern.

Is there a well know percentage of applicants that get prematch offers. Is it consistent or really depends on the year ( strong applicants).

Also are there any schools that accept updates to the application. Most of the schools I have interviewed at implied it will not affect their decision and should not be sent * ahem* southwestern.
@harmony14 There is never "one" answer to a generic question like that!

Schools will evaluate you based on the strength of your primary and secondary application and all the supporting materials you have submitted. Sending updates in Texas consists of:
1. Enter your new grades on the TMDSAS portal after each semester completed, if you are still a student during your application year.
2. MAJOR events like getting a paper published or being selected for a Fulbright Scholarship are worthy of an update email to each school.
3. Don't try to update with things like new work or volunteer hour totals or different extracurricular activities.

From my personal experience, most Texas schools are prematch heavy

@harmony14 There is never "one" answer to a generic question like that!

Schools will evaluate you based on the strength of your primary and secondary application and all the supporting materials you have submitted. Sending updates in Texas consists of:
1. Enter your new grades on the TMDSAS portal after each semester completed, if you are still a student during your application year.
2. Send your official Fall 2020 transcript to TMDSAS when grades are complete.
3. MAJOR events like getting a paper published or being selected for a Fulbright Scholarship are worthy of an update email to each school.
4. Don't try to update with things like new work or volunteer hour totals or different extracurricular activities.

Thank you. I meant is it possible to find information for a school prematch percentage I.e is it possible to know if Galveston offers 40% of its class seat during pre-match.

Thank you for the information about the update. recently got published and wanted to inform them. Is it simply through the admissions email.

Thank you. I meant is it possible to find information for a school prematch percentage I.e is it possible to know if Galveston offers 40% of its class seat during pre-match.

Thank you for the information about the update. recently got published and wanted to inform them. Is it simply through the admissions email.
Yes you may send your news about the publication to the regular admissions email.

The percentage of pre-match offers is meaningless and not worth your time worrying about. Why? So many reasons!
1. in 2018-2019 cycle prematches ran from November 15 to December 31
in 2019-2020 cycle prematches ran from October 15 to December 31
in 2020-2021 cycle prematches run from October 15 to January 31. How can these be directly comparable?
2. Some schools change their strategy from year to year. For instance, last year the Long admissions deans decided that almost all acceptances would go through the Match. We only saw 3 or 4 SDN member get a pre-match there. I don't know whether they will use this plan again this year.
3. Since some students get several pre-match offers and some get 1 or none, seeing announcements of pre-match offers on SDN can falsely discourage you.

Advice to all y'all:
Approach each interview with interest and enthusiasm.
If you happen to get a pre-match offer, please let it reduce your anxiety because you know you are going to med school next year.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hi,
Does UTSW send out secondary to all applicants or just those it selects after reviewing the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good afternoon @wysdoc . I know UTMB looks at an applicant's CASPer score before sending out an interview invite, do you know if other schools have the same policy?

Good afternoon @wysdoc . I know UTMB looks at an applicant's CASPer score before sending out an interview invite, do you know if other schools have the same policy?
TTUHSC El Paso is the other school that has said it will view the CASPer to help decide on interviews.

Glad to hear that some schools will be interviewing in February. Im very grateful to have interviewed at the 2 DO TMDSAS schools already but hoping to get a little MD love too! Looks like we still have plenty of time at this point

Reactions: 2 users
@wysdoc since you've been around a bit, do you know how long it takes for adcoms to meet for admissions decisions? I interviewed at utsw on 9/2x and am wondering whether i should worry about whether a prematch is possible on oct 15 (or if that would be too soon).

Last edited:
I
@wysdoc since you've been around a bit, do you know how long it takes for adcoms to meet for admissions decisions? I interviewed at utsw on 9/26 and am wondering whether i should worry about whether a prematch is possible on oct 15 (or if that would be too soon).
I think it’s possible, but I don’t have any specific knowledge on which interview days they will be including in their last meeting before Oct 15th.

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy y'all! MS1 checking in.

Oct 15th is coming around which means it's that time of the year again.
If you get a prematch, congrats!!! Go treat yourself. Thank your friends and family and professors. If it's not your top choice, you will still be a doctor!! And hopefully you'll get that A from your dream school before the end of the cycle! But for now, you can relax and be content that you will be going somewhere.

If you don't prematch, it's not the end of the world! Prematches come in waves. Don't be discouraged if you're not in that first round. Also, they've extended the prematch window until the end of January. So there's still plenty of time. Don't sweat it. If you have other interviews, keep preparing for them. If your interview is after Oct 15th, yes, you can still prematch.

If you still haven't received an II, hang in there. There's still time to hear back! It's not over until it's over.

The application cycle is long and unpredictable. Be kind to yourself. Be patient. But most importantly, don't compare yourself to others- you never know how the cycle will end!

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 12 users
hen and chicks.jpg

Gather 'round, all you little chicks.

Whatever excitement, fear, bravado, worry, confidence, denial, pride, doubt, or uncertainty is going through your mind right now, these feelings are all normal!

Tomorrow, October 15th, is the first date that medical schools may release offers of admission.
If you are an applicant who has had the chance to interview by now, this could be you!
In Texas we call this the start of the "pre-match offer" period. (see an earlier post and video link explaining prematch here:
#3 )
This year it runs from October 15, 2020 to January 31, 2021.

Getting a pre-match offer takes the pressure off you, as you now know you have a place at a medical school next year.
I hope you will take it with gratitude.

Remember that October 15th
is the beginning, not the end, of chances to be accepted at med schools where you have interviewed, or will interview in the future. If you hear nothing tomorrow, your road is less certain right now, but still leads forward.

You may accept and hold any and all pre-match offers you get until February. We'll talk more about Match procedures then.

So be proud if you've interviewed, get excited about tomorrow, but know that if you hear nothing you still have lots of chances to interview at more schools, or even to get an offer later in the year from one of the schools you've already seen!

Wysdoc

p.s. See up there where it says "medical schools may release"? They may give out some news tomorrow, but they don't have to.
In the last few years,
UTSW and UTMB have sent out some emails after midnight to about 1:30 am.
Many of the schools sent out emails some time later in the day on the 15th.
UTRGV and Dell waited 7-10 days to send news. Dell calls on the phone.

TCU/UNTHSC sent out "holds" and rejections only. At TCU a hold is good and you might be "held" a few times before being admitted.

Reactions: 13 users
UTSW and UTMB have sent out some emails after midnight to about 1:30 am.

Guess who is refreshing their email at 1:30 in the morning. This guy haha

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t know if we have to put the school but I got an acceptance at 7 am.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
All's quiet on the southern front (except the A&M thread has a lot of activity, congrats to yall).

Well, as they say in any investment site you ever consider making a purchase on, "Past performance is not indicative of future results".

By that I mean, although I did expect a couple of schools to spread some good news after midnight, it didn't happen this year.
But quite a few folks woke up to offers from Texas A&M, congratulations !!! Now y'all gotta learn to say "Whoop", "Howdy" and "Gig em".

Excited to see more news roll out later :soexcited:

I'll keep a running list of which schools are sending news today and what time they started:
October 15th

Texas A&M 7 am
Texas Tech El Paso (Paul Foster) 10 am
Texas Tech Lubbock 10:30 am
TCOM 12:30 pm - check your portal
McGovern 1:20 pm

October 16th
UTSW 1:30 pm

October 28th
Dell Med 4:40 pm

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 22 users
El Paso sent out prematch around 11. Ironically I’m in an interview with them right now.

Reactions: 3 users
El Paso sent out prematch around 11. Ironically I’m in an interview with them right now.
What the heck are you doing browsing the internet then? Poor form.
Not to single this person out, but please, y'all, treat a virtual interview as seriously as a real in-person interview.
You think they don't notice when you're in a zoom meeting and you keep dropping your eyes to check your phone? They do...

Reactions: 6 users
What the heck are you doing browsing the internet then? Poor form.
Not to single this person out, but please, y'all, treat a virtual interview as seriously as a real in-person interview.
You think they don't notice when you're in a zoom meeting and you keep dropping your eyes to check your phone? They do...

Lol sorry about that but we were on break so I went browsing on SDN.

We are currently in lunch right now btw.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone hear anything about UTMB today or when they’re going to send something out?

Anyone hear anything about UTMB today or when they’re going to send something out?
I’ve seen offers from 4 MD schools plus TCOM today.
The others know how eager y’all are, but are taking time and taking care with their decisions.
In the case of UTRGV they finished up their ED applicants Oct 1 and have only barely started inviting RD folks, so I think it could be 4-5 weeks before any offers are made to their school.

Is this delay in admission decisions from several schools perhaps indicative of this uncharacteristic year? It's kind of perplexed me that people are trying to carbon copy compare this year to last year, or any normal year before. Everything it different for everybody...I'm kind of not surprised that it seems (based on this thread) that admissions day 2020 is different.

Is this delay in admission decisions from several schools perhaps indicative of this uncharacteristic year? It's kind of perplexed me that people are trying to carbon copy compare this year to last year, or any normal year before. Everything it different for everybody...I'm kind of not surprised that it seems (based on this thread) that admissions day 2020 is different.

Perhaps it is. I have a feeling that more interview dates were scheduled and more interviews were offered at some schools. I feel bad for the adcoms, they're dealing with an unexpectedly large application pool + revamping the entire interview experience. I'm totally fine waiting a bit longer to get some news back in light of all that.

EDIT: just noticed this, I've never seen a 15+ year tag in the forum @mddoc that's incredibly cool.

Yes it is. Not only are schools setting up remote interview platforms, and learning how to get them working smoothly, but most of their admissions office staff has been working from home since March. Some staff or their families might be ill with COVID-19.
I know you’re all eager and excited to hear some news. It will happen in its own time.
peace

Perhaps it is. I have a feeling that more interview dates were scheduled and more interviews were offered at some schools. I feel bad for the adcoms, they're dealing with an unexpectedly large application pool + revamping the entire interview experience. I'm totally fine waiting a bit longer to get some news back in light of all that.

EDIT: just noticed this, I've never seen a 15+ year tag in the forum @mddoc that's incredibly cool.

I believe only dell Increased the amount of interviews offered

Just figured I would post a general overview of my cycle so far in here to help give some perspective to future readers:
LM: 73 (I’m also a reapplicant and improved my MCAT score by 12 points from the last time I took it).
Complete Date at Schools: July 16-20th
Pre-Match Offers: Tech Lubbock & Tech El Paso
Interviewed At & Waiting for a Decision: UTSW & UTMB
Upcoming Interviews: McGovern (10/23) & Long (10/30)
App Submitted & No II: Dell, UTRGV, TCOM, & TAMU
Didn’t Apply: UH & SHSU

I believe only dell Increased the amount of interviews offered
I think A&M increased amount of interviews also, last year they interviewed 667 and this year they said they are going to interview 800~

I think A&M increased amount of interviews also, last year they interviewed 667 and this year they said they are going to interview 800~

Yeah but pretty sure they increased their class size as well

Just prematched at UTSW! Dreams do come true :)

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
How do prematch offers of admission work for IS applicants? Are we supposed to accept them before the match or are they binding?

How do prematch offers of admission work for IS applicants? Are we supposed to accept them before the match?

Pre-match offers allow programs to provide guaranteed match spots/acceptances to applicants that a school strongly wants as a student. They can be extended anytime between now and 1/31/21 after you have interviewed with a program.

You must accept the pre-match offer before the stated deadline in your offer email (usually 2 weeks from receiving it) if you want to hold on to that guaranteed acceptance. You can accept multiple pre-match offers and there is no penalty for holding multiple. If you accrue multiple pre-matches, it is usually respectful to decline offers for schools that are ranked lower in your preferences, however, you can totally choose to accept every offer too.

By February 2021, you will have to submit a rank list of every program you interview at. The match will attempt to rank you at your highest choice program where you fall within their acceptance range. You are guaranteed to match with a school if you have a pre-match offer from them. If you receive a pre-match offer from your #1 TX program, then that’s great and you’re guaranteed to be a student there. If you would rather attend another program where you didn’t receive a pre-match, then you rank those programs highest and hope you match but will have your highest ranked pre-match program as a safety acceptance.

How do prematch offers of admission work for IS applicants? Are we supposed to accept them before the match or are they binding?
Yes, you accept them as they come to you. They are not binding. The Match will sort things out for you and you will come out of the Match with just one school.
On the unusual occasion that a person has so many acceptances that they are sure some of them they do not want to attend, they can withdraw their acceptance by emailing the admissions director directly and using the withdraw button on the TMDSAS portal.

Okay, so I'm in the fortunate situation where I got my top choice prematch school...is there any particular danger to withdrawing all my other tmdsas apps/prematch offers so other applicants have the chance to take whatever potential IIs/slots that crop up as a result? Or would it be premature to do so since technically I'm not enrolled yet?

Pre-match recap, so far:

Prematch offers have come out on 10/15 and 10/16 from 6 TMDSAS schools.
(Texas A&M, Texas Tech Foster, Texas Tech Lubbock, TCOM, McGovern, and UTSW)

I don't know when the rest will make offers.

I saw 87 pre-match offers made to 67 SDN members. Yep, some got more than one :claps:
Remember, SDN members represent just a fraction of all applicants.

In addition to this, Texas Tech Lubbock and UTRGV accepted a small number of ED applicants on 9/30 and 10/1.
UIWSOM DO school has been making offers of admission since 9/8/2020 since they work on a rolling basis and are not on the TMDSAS system. I count 25 offers so far.

Check your e-mail and spam folder daily, and your school portals once a week for news from your schools. Lots more interviewing to come.

Reactions: 9 users
Okay, so I'm in the fortunate situation where I got my top choice prematch school...is there any particular danger to withdrawing all my other tmdsas apps/prematch offers so other applicants have the chance to take whatever potential IIs/slots that crop up as a result? Or would it be premature to do so since technically I'm not enrolled yet?

Congratulations on your pre-match success! I would recommend keeping at least one additional pre-match offer as a back-up; there is a long time frame between now and the March TMDSAS match and financial aid packages/scholarship offers could change your rankings in the coming months. If you have any upcoming interviews at schools that you would not attend over your current prematches, then I think it would be respectful to decline those IIs to allow another applicant to possibly interview at the program.

You do not have to withdraw, as the matching system will decide that for you. Just remember to rank your preference before match day, and you are set.

Status
Not open for further replies.