The Republic of Texas XXXIX: Pretty words are not always true, and True words are not always pretty.

riperobgyn

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't know if this is the best place to post these questions. I am in state and 510 mcat and 3.96 gpa, traditional white male student. Only had interviews at Tech and Mcgovern. Only applied to MD programs. I didn't get matched and wait listed Houston and will hopefully get wait listed at Tech Lubbock. So there is still a chance. Question, do all schools offer a file or application review so u know what improvements can be made this coming cycle? Should I call admissions office directly? What are others opinion on retaking MCAT( I am leaning no). Allowing a 3-4 month study time would place me taking in late June or July. I am already working on more volunteer hours, and trying to beef up my research time which was one thing really lacking for me. Would anyone suggest a special master or post bacc program this coming year since my GPA is high? Just trying to figure out this coming year if I don't get off wait list, deadlines for applications are quickly approaching. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

wysdoc

Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't know if this is the best place to post these questions. I am in state and 510 mcat and 3.96 gpa, traditional white male student. Only had interviews at Tech and Mcgovern. Only applied to MD programs. I didn't get matched and wait listed Houston and will hopefully get wait listed at Tech Lubbock. So there is still a chance. Question, do all schools offer a file or application review so u know what improvements can be made this coming cycle? Should I call admissions office directly? What are others opinion on retaking MCAT( I am leaning no). Allowing a 3-4 month study time would place me taking in late June or July. I am already working on more volunteer hours, and trying to beef up my research time which was one thing really lacking for me. Would anyone suggest a special master or post bacc program this coming year since my GPA is high? Just trying to figure out this coming year if I don't get off wait list, deadlines for applications are quickly approaching. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.
@riperobgyn for someone with your high GPA a SMP isn't needed. Your MCAT is above the median for TX matriculants too.
It is sure a tough year to get in!
Lots of schools hold general reapplicant workshops so you could look for news of those at a city near you towards April.
In the meantime see what you can do to volunteer or work safely and if possible in some patient-contact setting.

riperobgyn

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
@riperobgyn for someone with your high GPA a SMP isn't needed. Your MCAT is above the median for TX matriculants too.
It is sure a tough year to get in!
Lots of schools hold general reapplicant workshops so you could look for news of those at a city near you towards April.
In the meantime see what you can do to volunteer or work safely and if possible in some patient-contact setting.
Thank you, I appreciate your advice.

About the Ads

wysdoc

Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Here's the first announcement I have seen for a reapplicant workshop. Hope some of you who will be reapplying can find it helpful.

** Read the flyer, it says they DO provide one-on-one consultations to review your app from this year with you.**

158698380_752133468765002_7007413718835348284_n.png

Last edited:

wysdoc

Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey all y'all,
This has been a brutal application cycle, from cancelled MCATs to quarantine to lots of great people getting that "no match" message on Friday.

Be kind to yourself as you think things over, plan, and of course wait (some more :cryi::depressed:) for possible offers from a Wait List over the next
4 months.

Wysdoc

150828-youngest-cowgirl-01 copy.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

wysdoc

Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Here's the second seminar I have seen an announcement for. They call it an "Applicant Seminar" so people attending will probably be a mix of 1st time applicants gearing up for 2021-2022 and re-applicants. It's free. It's on March 26 in the afternoon. They do not seem to offer individual file reviews at this one.

Applicant Seminar | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
1615482203030.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

wysdoc

Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Yeah, this is us in Texas right now

We are in that slow period of inactivity, between Match Day and the deadlines for AMCAS applicants to cut down their number of accepted schools to 3 by April 15 and then to 1 by April 30.

AMCAS application cycle affects us, in the case where someone has both a TMDSAS Match school and 1 or more offers of admission from AMCAS schools. If they select the AMCAS offer, they withdraw from the TMDSAS school, leaving a place for someone to come in from a WL.

We are likely in this holding pattern for another 2-3 weeks.
So far I have only seen a few offers of admission from a WL at TCOM, SHSU, and UTRGV.
- edited to add I saw a few new Baylor offers to folks who hold a TMDSAS spot currently.

When there is more action, I will start up my popular "Texas Roundup" reports. For an example, see last year's here: #302
I only see what you guys share on SDN, and my roundup reports are anonymized as much as possible.
Anyone who wants to PM me their WL offer info is free to do so, and I could post that on my roundup thread without people knowing who it was.

Dive into finishing your spring term if you're still in college.

Wysdoc

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Aug 11, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
@wysdoc . This year feels unreasonably quite on Sdn regarding post-Match acceptance. Last year, TMDSAS schools gave out acceptances between Feb (after match)--May (AMCAS deadline). Are med school waiting until mid to late April for waitlist movement? Little to No WL so far on Sdn!!

wysdoc

Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
@wysdoc . This year feels unreasonably quite on Sdn regarding post-Match acceptance. Last year, TMDSAS schools gave out acceptances between Feb (after match)--May (AMCAS deadline). Are med school waiting until mid to late April for waitlist movement? Little to No WL so far on Sdn!!
I agree it's about a month behind this year, but the whole cycle has been like that!

I think most of it will happen after April 30.
For matched Texans who might be also waiting to hear from an AMCAS school, try to do your list of pros and cons now while you are waiting, so you can let both schools know promptly which one you chose if offered a new spot. Your fellow applicants who have no matches might be eternally grateful to you!

Read any admission offer emails carefully- the closer we get to the end of the cycle, the shorter a time period they will give you to make a decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sep 16, 2020
I agree it's about a month behind this year, but the whole cycle has been like that!

I think most of it will happen after April 30.
For matched Texans who might be also waiting to hear from an AMCAS school, try to do your list of pros and cons now while you are waiting, so you can let both schools know promptly which one you chose if offered a new spot. Your fellow applicants who have no matches might be eternally grateful to you!

Read any admission offer emails carefully- the closer we get to the end of the cycle, the shorter a time period they will give you to make a decision.
For some reason I’m getting the vague suspicion that there isn’t going to be that much movement this year because the May 15 deadline seems too soon for a delayed cycle, unless the schools give less than 24 hours for people to decide lol

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.