The Republic of Texas XXXVI: You may all go to hell, and I will go to a Texas medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherLawyer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With only four days left before the TMDSAS cycle opens, I feel obligated to start this thread and keep the tradition alive.

Who's going to try to get their primary submitted next week?

Good luck everyone!

cometakeit.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my personal statement in final draft phase. Still outlining and brainstorming the additional essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
GOOD LUCK. LONG LIVE TEJAS.

Reactions: 1 user
I am going to submit by mid May and have letters and transcripts in shortly after, but I don't take the Mcat until June 16. Where does that put me? I have been hearing that Texas schools send out IIs early.

I am going to submit by mid May and have letters and transcripts in shortly after, but I don't take the Mcat until June 16. Where does that put me? I have been hearing that Texas schools send out IIs early.

It means the earliest your app will transmit is July 18. That's not great but not the end of the world. I would have all my secondaries ready to go. A few schools let you submit immediately. Most of the others will send you the secondary shortly after they receive your primary. So by having those ready to go you can get your completed app under review by late July at the majority of schools. Again, not great but not terrible, especially if your app is otherwise solid.

Last edited:
Would it hinder me too much submitting late May/early June? I didn't even realize TMDAS could be submitted this early.

I submitted in early June, everything was verified late June. I had all the secondaries completed by mid July.
I don't think submitting late May will hinder anyone.

TMDSAS unspoken rule of submitting...

May: early
June: ok and still on time
July: late
August - September: very late

Reactions: 1 users
Would it hinder me too much submitting late May/early June? I didn't even realize TMDAS could be submitted this early.
You'll be fine. I submitted early June (first 5 days or so) and received 3 II in July. Good luck!

Do I get any benefit from submitting my app early? How does the unspoken rule affect mcat if I still submit mid may but test in mid June? :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I get any benefit from submitting my app early? How does the unspoken rule affect mcat if I still submit mid may but test in mid June? :/
Being verified early to potentially receive secondary invites and interviews.

Of course its always best to submit when you have your mcat score in hand but it's still fine to submit with a pending MCAT. Just know that your app will still get transmitted to the schools but a decision to interview you will not be made until they have your mcat score.

If you can be complete with everything, including secondaries, by end of July then you're still in a decent position.

Applying in July is not late. If you are able, try to submit the primary before the end of June. I would consider a primary in August late.
Have to disagree for TMDSAS schools, sorry.

I was complete at most schools by early- mid August and most of my interviews were in early November, except for one in early September.

I submitted end of June with my mcat score (took it in May) and it took 3 weeks to process. It transmitted 3rd week of July when interview spots for many Texas schools were already being filled into September and October.

So do I save a lot of processing time by still submitting early, and might some schools be interested in me (but wait to see my score)?

So do I save a lot of processing time by still submitting early, and might some schools be interested in me (but wait to see my score)?
TMDSAS will not submit your application to schools until your application is complete.

Possibly but unlikely since soooo many people will be submitting with a score already on file.

The good thing is that you could pre-write secondaries as you wait for your score. Once your score is available it only takes 24 hours to be uploaded to TMDSAS from the aamc website.

TMDSAS will not submit your application to schools until your application is complete.
They most certainly do transmit your app when you submit. A completely filled out app and app fee with pending MCAT scores and recommendation letters will get sent to the schools.

Texas Roundup: I will be listing what I see on Texas threads once or twice a week. Remember that not everyone shares their news; on the other hand some of the people offered a spot from a WL this week created a new account to share the word. Feel free to post your good news here or your WaitList status.
This week I saw:

1 spot given up at Texas Tech
2 WL offers by UTMB (4/12 and 4/28)
1 WL offer by McGovern
1 WL offer by Dell
5 admission offers by Baylor (2 on 4/21 and 3 on 4/25). Baylor hasn't announced a WL yet
1 spot given up at TCOM

The people who announced they gave up a spot are definitely going to a different school. Some of the folks offered a spot at Baylor already have other admittances so if they announce their choice and where they are dropping, I will add those details later.

Last edited:
Texas Roundup: I will be listing what I see on Texas threads once or twice a week. Remember that not everyone shares their news; on the other hand some of the people offered a spot from a WL this week created a new account to share the word. Feel free to post your good news here or your WaitList status.
This week I saw:

1 spot given up at Texas Tech
2 WL offers by UTMB (4/12 and 4/28)
1 WL offer by McGovern
1 WL offer by Dell
5 admission offers by Baylor (2 on 4/21 and 3 on 4/25). Baylor hasn't announced a WL yet
1 spot given up at TCOM

The people who announced they gave up a spot are definitely going to a different school. Some of the folks offered a spot at Baylor already have other admittances so if they announce their choice and where they are dropping, I will add those details later.

Thanks for all of your feedback and info, I've seen you on a couple boards this cycle and you are very helpful!

How much do you think A&M cutting seats and WL will change the waitlist movement overall in Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are there any downsides to applying early decision to a school? Can you apply to other schools through normal decision at the same time?

Edit: Never mind, I found another thread with the answers.

Last edited:
Is the website losing anybody else's saved work? I think I forgot to press save after inputting work into a dozen sections :dead:

Last edited:
Is the website losing anybody else's saved work?
TMDSAS is super glitchy.. I had to rewrite my responses for the activities section a handful of times. It sucks but just make sure you double check everything before you submit lol

Thanks for all of your feedback and info, I've seen you on a couple boards this cycle and you are very helpful!

How much do you think A&M cutting seats and WL will change the waitlist movement overall in Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It will significantly decrease the amount of WL movement in Texas. From what I've gathered, TAMHSC takes more applicants from the WL a than any other school in Texas, and with their waitlist removed it will be a quiet year in Texas.

TMDSAS is super glitchy.. I had to rewrite my responses for the activities section a handful of times. It sucks but just make sure you double check everything before you submit lol
Did you submit already? Holy crap if you did haha.

For leisure activities I'm thinking of just putting a 1 for cumulative hours, although I'll still do a monthly approximate. Anyone else doing that? I don't see the point in calculating something like that when it is just a part of normal life.

Have to disagree for TMDSAS schools, sorry.

I was complete at most schools by early- mid August and most of my interviews were in early November, except for one in early September.

I submitted end of June with my mcat score (took it in May) and it took 3 weeks to process. It transmitted 3rd week of July when interview spots for many Texas schools were already being filled into September and October.

Was also complete mid-August or so when my committee letter was uploaded. Most of my interviews were in September/October. If you're a good applicant, an August completion for TMDSAS is not late.

Was also complete mid-August or so when my committee letter was uploaded. Most of my interviews were in September/October. If you're a good applicant, an August completion for TMDSAS is not late.
Yes, August completion is fine.

I guess I should've mentioned when you're complete is more important.

I would recommend people are complete by end of August just to be safe:)

Did you submit already? Holy crap if you did haha.

For leisure activities I'm thinking of just putting a 1 for cumulative hours, although I'll still do a monthly approximate. Anyone else doing that? I don't see the point in calculating something like that when it is just a part of normal life.

I haven't gotten that far yet so I haven't thought about hours yet. I do think it would be hard to capture the hours in a meaningful way though.

On the topic of leisure activities, how many are you putting down? I'm sure they don't want me to list something like "Reading Student Doctor Network." I was thinking three meaningful ones. What does everyone else think?

And how do you handle planned activities? Is that only for stuff that will start after we submit? So in other words, if we volunteer three hours per week currently and plan to continue through July 2018, which we put as the end date when we list it in the community service section, do we also need to put it as a planned activity?

I decided to push my MCAT back from June 17 to July 22.

I'd rather have a late app vs a low MCAT score. There was no way I could be ready in June.

I will also be applying to several OOS schools as well. Gotta keep my options open.

I have my LOR writers lined up. Anybody know which option is better for getting them to TMDSAS? I figured my professor could upload it, but the other two I'm not sure about (MD I shadowed and a internship preceptor).

I figure I can do things like get my transcripts, pre-write secondaries & PS while I'm studying for the MCAT.

Semester ends May 12th. Im gonna chill the following weekend (probably Netflix & a ton of junk food). And on Monday the 15th start hardcore studying for the MCAT. My goal is 6-8 hours a day of active studying. 7 days a week.

Good luck everyone! I hope this time next year we'll all be celebrating an acceptance.

I haven't gotten that far yet so I haven't thought about hours yet. I do think it would be hard to capture the hours in a meaningful way though.

On the topic of leisure activities, how many are you putting down? I'm sure they don't want me to list something like "Reading Student Doctor Network." I was thinking three meaningful ones. What does everyone else think?

And how do you handle planned activities? Is that only for stuff that will start after we submit? So in other words, if we volunteer three hours per week currently and plan to continue through July 2018, which we put as the end date when we list it in the community service section, do we also need to put it as a planned activity?

The only leisure activity I can think of is working out. :p

I'm not sure what to do in planned activities for an activity that I am continuing but began last year. It wants only activities that began this year, so maybe it is an indication that planned activities is meant more for new activities.

I'm not sure what to do in planned activities for an activity that I am continuing but began last year. It wants only activities that began this year, so maybe it is an indication that planned activities is meant more for new activities.

Can you tell me where you got that info? That seems to make sense, but TMDSAS also encourages "double dipping" of activities. I have lots of ongoing stuff (not the least of which is my full time job). I don't want to put all of that in planned activities if that's not what the section is designed for.

No, that activity will also go in planned activities. Anything that you will do or continue doing up until August 2018 will be in this section.

Can you tell me where you got that info? That seems to make sense, but TMDSAS also encourages "double dipping" of activities. I have lots of ongoing stuff (not the least of which is my full time job). I don't want to put all of that in planned activities if that's not what the section is designed for.
It gave me an error with red text that said it needed to begin in the current year.

Example entries for planned activities new and continued:

1. Teaching elementary school
Dates: August 2017-June 2018

2. Soup kitchen volunteer
Dates: August 2017-July 2018

3. Volunteer health clinic
Dates: April 2017- July 2017

The first example can also go in the current actvity/employment section

1. Teaching elementary school
Dates: August 2016 - June 2018

Texas Roundup action for 5/2
2 WL offers from Paul Foster
1 WL offer from UTSW
Baylor has now sent out emails telling people they are on the WL, and 5 SDN members announced their addition to this WL

I've filled out the entire application, have all of my MCAT scores uploaded (with none pending), and have 1/2 transcripts received (am sending the other one out tomorrow). Unfortunately, my school is being slow with the committee packet, since they want to interview the applicants before writing a letter. So I'm just waiting around to hear about my interview date with my undergrad institution. My MCAT is decent (510) and my master's GPA is good, but my uGPA is on the low side, so I wanted to apply as early as possible. I am stressed because now my school is holding me back, but I've been told that applying with an HP packet if you come from a committee school looks better.

I've filled out the entire application, have all of my MCAT scores uploaded (with none pending), and have 1/2 transcripts received (am sending the other one out tomorrow). Unfortunately, my school is being slow with the committee packet, since they want to interview the applicants before writing a letter. So I'm just waiting around to hear about my interview date with my undergrad institution. My MCAT is decent (510) and my master's GPA is good, but my uGPA is on the low side, so I wanted to apply as early as possible. I am stressed because now my school is holding me back, but I've been told that applying with an HP packet if you come from a committee school looks better.
You have done all you can, so hope your committee will meet in the next few weeks. It takes about a month for the application to be verified before it is released to the schools, so you have time.

You have done all you can, so hope your committee will meet in the next few weeks. It takes about a month for the application to be verified before it is released to the schools, so you have time.

Should I go ahead and submit my application (once I check and review it, of course) before I have my committee interview?

Should I go ahead and submit my application (once I check and review it, of course) before I have my committee interview?
Scroll down to the part about letters of evaluation- TMDSAS Medical: Application Instructions - you need to check the box in the "colleges Attended" section and say "yes" to releasing your information to the health professions advisor, and name the school that will be doing your committee letter. The application instructions also say not to have any letters sent until you have completed the [Letters of Evaluation] section (in which you will say the committee of X college will be sending a letter).
The committee will upload their letter directly to your application using the TMSDAS advisor portal. Be sure they know your full correct name and TMSDAS applicant number.
Once you have completed your application, including the parts mentioned above, you can submit. Your application will be considered complete when TMDSAS has all your transcripts and the committee letter.

Has anyone hit submit yet? I'm done with the app but can't bring myself to do it. I keep rechecking for mistakes. I figure until my transcripts arrive there is no harm in holding off.

Has anyone hit submit yet? I'm done with the app but can't bring myself to do it. I keep rechecking for mistakes. I figure until my transcripts arrive there is no harm in holding off.
Submit it mate.

I'm about to submit, if not today then tomorrow. @AnotherLawyer

Yes, I have completed the letters of eval section and released information to my UG university. They already have my TMDSAS ID# @wysdoc

Thanks y'all! Fingers crossed. The committee chair is out of town until next Thursday so I don't think I'll hear anything about the interview until then.

Reactions: 1 users
Texas Roundup for Friday May 5 (Includes May 3,4,5)
1 offer from WL by Dell
1 offer from WL by UTMB
2 offers from WL by UTSW
1 withdrew from their spot at UTRGV
1 offer from WL by UTRGV
2 withdrew from their spots at Texas Tech
1 more joined the WL at Baylor

Slow roll at the Texas Roundup May 8, not many announcements over the weekend
1 offer from WL by Baylor
1 offer from WL by Paul Foster
1 offer to MD/PhD from UTSA
Read your offer carefully when you get one, now that it is May they might give you a short timespan to respond "yes" or "no thanks".
If the WL offer is your first acceptance of course, it's easy. If you are holding another spot somewhere you will need to think, talk, and decide promptly. You will probably have about 5 days to decide.

Last edited:
Done. Very nervous that I made a mistake, but I am not going to check. There is nothing I can do about it now.

What's done is done, forget it now and start working on those secondaries. There's a ton of them, they all suck, and they never change, so prewriting now might just save your life..

Status
Not open for further replies.