The Republic of Texas XXXVI: You may all go to hell, and I will go to a Texas medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow roll at the Texas Roundup May 8, not many announcements over the weekend
1 offer from WL by Baylor
1 offer from WL by Paul Foster
1 offer to MD/PhD from UTSA
Read your offer carefully when you get one, now that it is May they might give you a short timespan to respond "yes" or "no thanks".
If the WL offer is your first acceptance of course, it's easy. If you are holding another spot somewhere you will need to think, talk, and decide promptly. You will probably have about 5 days to decide.

I am assuming this information is from the respective medical school threads?

Also, PLFSOM has had multiple offers from WL

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming this information is from the respective medical school threads?

Also, PLFSOM has had multiple offers from WL
yes, @Umyo I just scroll the Texas threads daily and post the results here. Many of the people recently accepted didn't even have a SDN account until they made their announcement, so there is probably more action than what I list here. Compared to last year, SDN members are being much more private with their information!

TMDSAS posted some stats from EY17 on the importance of applying early.

11% of applicants applied in May and got 20% of the interviews in TX.
19% of applicants applied in June and got 28% of the interviews.
23% applied in July and got 27% of the interviews.
20% applied in August and got 18% of the interviews.
15% applied in September and got 5% of the interviews.
12% applied in October and got 2% of the interviews.

This seems to confirm the conventional wisdom that applying early confers a significant advantage. It also shows that those who apply in the last two months are at an extreme disadvantage. Interestingly, and perhaps of comfort to some, those who apply in August (which most consider late for Texas) don't appear to be at much of a disadvantage. The percentage of applicants applying in August is about the same as the percentage of interviews that go to August applicants. Of course, some would say that missing out on the advantage of applying early is in fact a disadvantage.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This seems to confirm the conventional wisdom that applying early confers a significant advantage. It also shows that those who apply in the last two months are at an extreme disadvantage. Interestingly, and perhaps of comfort to some, those who apply in August (which most consider late for Texas) don't appear to be at much of a disadvantage. The percentage of applicants applying in August is about the same as the percentage of interviews that go to August applicants. Of course, some would say that missing out on the advantage of applying early is in fact a disadvantage.
Good stuff!

Edit: Oh oh, it looks like their line graph is incorrect. People should pay attention to the first two bar graphs only!

Last edited:
Some of the secondaries ask to describe the type of setting you envision your medical career in. If I'm not sure what specialty or setting I would want to practice in, is it acceptable to write an essay around that? In a sense, keeping an open mind until getting appropriate experiences in medical school. Most people change their minds anyway after rotations.

I know it's only May 11, and I risk sounding insane, but has anyone's app transmitted yet? I noticed in past years that some people who submitted in early May had their apps transmit within a few days. I was wondering it's happened yet this year?

Texas Mother's Day roundup May 14
All y'all premeds, remember to call your mom on Mother's Day!
Texas grammar lesson: You = one person
Y'all = a few people
All y'all = a larger group of people
Y'all is a contraction of "you all" and is a gender-neutral term.
Some southern women prefer it to the term "you guys", which is more northern and western. A traditional southern woman might retort "I
am not a guy!" when addressed thus. I am a transplant to Texas so y'all still does not trip naturally from my tongue.
Equivalent second person plurals include you guys, yous, youse (Australia and Philly) and you lot (UK)
Why do I digress? All y'all are being very stingy with sharing your news on SDN this year! Why do I have to hear from @gyngyn that there have been WL offers made by UTSW, but on the UTSW page I hear the sounds of silence? Join in!

anyhow, since my last roundup I have seen - all announced on 5/11:
1 offer from WL by UTSA (applicant has another acceptance so will choose soon)
1 withdrew from a spot at TCOM

Reactions: 1 users
All y'all are being very stingy with sharing your news on SDN this year! Why do I have to hear from @gyngyn that there have been WL offers made by UTSW, but on the UTSW page I hear the sounds of silence? Join in!

anyhow, since my last roundup I have seen - all announced on 5/11:
1 offer from WL by UTSA (applicant has another acceptance so will choose soon)
1 withdrew from a spot at TCOM
The UTSW offers were made to OOS candidates. Maybe that's part of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
The UTSW offers were made to OOS candidates. Maybe that's part of it?
Good point, that might explain it. OOS students do post on the UTSW application thread. It still seems to me SDN members are keeping their news to themselves a lot this year !

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone verified/transmitted yet? I'm starting to worry there's something wrong with my app.
Just call TMDSAS. They're extremely helpful, I had issues with my application and with a phone call I had them taken care of.

Just call TMDSAS. They're extremely helpful, I had issues with my application and with a phone call I had them taken care of.

I've given the exact same advice to others so I should listen to myself. I just want them to put a "this guy's crazy" note on my app. I'll give it a few more days before calling.

I've given the exact same advice to others so I should listen to myself. I just want them to put a "this guy's crazy" note on my app. I'll give it a few more days before calling.
It's okay, they probably thought I was an dingus when I called. They tried to classify me as a non resident (and you know how terrible that would be on anybody's app). Let's just say, I got the problem fixed :)

It's okay, they probably thought I was an dingus when I called. They tried to classify me as a non resident (and you know how terrible that would be on anybody's app). Let's just say, I got the problem fixed :)

Haha, that was my first call to TMDSAS, panicking about my "non-resident" classification. The nice lady told me to chill out and that everything would work out. A few days later I was classified as a resident.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody else had their postbacc masters coursework classified as "other science" rather than under the BCPM heading?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Received an offer off the WL from McGovern Medical School. Currently holding a spot at Texas A&M, will be dropping it soon. Best of luck to everybody! SO HAPPY.

Reactions: 6 users
Feel free to send me PMs regarding UTHSCSA and application information. Good luck everybody!

Has anybody else had their postbacc masters coursework classified as "other science" rather than under the BCPM heading?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Were they postbac classes or master's course work toward earning a master's degree?

Were they postbac classes or master's course work toward earning a master's degree?

Coursework toward earning a master's degree. It was pretty surprising considering I was taking "normal" upper-level bio classes like molecular biology.

Coursework toward earning a master's degree. It was pretty surprising considering I was taking "normal" upper-level bio classes like molecular biology.

Unfortunately, graduate coursework has never been included in BCPM. Definitely something I considered when choosing an informal postbac over a master's degree.

So my application finally transmitted. It turns out TMDSAS made a change to some of my coursework and forgot to hit "save." I noticed that on the status page the competition date for the coursework section had become blank. To TMDSAS's credit, when I called they fixed it immediately and the app transmitted shortly thereafter. TMDSAS has outstanding customer service in my limited experience. The moral, though, is to be proactive, monitor your app, and call TMDSAS if something doesn't seem right.

Feel free to send me PMs regarding UTHSCSA and application information. Good luck everybody!

Are you excited for school? Can't believe this was us a year ago :p

Good luck everyone!! I remember how exciting/terrifying it was submitting TMDSAS and checking over and over again that I didn't say anything wrong in the application. I matched to UT-Houston, but am headed to Columbia- if anyone has questions about applying AMCAS as well/pros and cons of TX and OOS schools, feel free to ask!

Are you excited for school? Can't believe this was us a year ago :p

Good luck everyone!! I remember how exciting/terrifying it was submitting TMDSAS and checking over and over again that I didn't say anything wrong in the application. I matched to UT-Houston, but am headed to Columbia- if anyone has questions about applying AMCAS as well/pros and cons of TX and OOS schools, feel free to ask!
Oh how time flies...haha

I'm so excited to finally get moving into my career. It just feels so different to be on the other side of the aisle and know that one way or another, at least our career is secure (assuming nothing crazy happens). I'm really excited since we'll get to finally learn things we've wanted to rather than being required. Really excited for anatomy :)

Congratulations! that's amazing. Do you want to do residency in TX?

Oh how time flies...haha

I'm so excited to finally get moving into my career. It just feels so different to be on the other side of the aisle and know that one way or another, at least our career is secure (assuming nothing crazy happens). I'm really excited since we'll get to finally learn things we've wanted to rather than being required. Really excited for anatomy :)

Sure does feel good being on the other side of the aisle! ;)

Some of the secondaries ask to describe the type of setting you envision your medical career in. If I'm not sure what specialty or setting I would want to practice in, is it acceptable to write an essay around that? In a sense, keeping an open mind until getting appropriate experiences in medical school. Most people change their minds anyway after rotations.

UTMB grad and PGY-4 Radiology Resident peeking in on the thread and chiming in: that sounds like a really boring essay to read. I don't think the point of the question is to nail you down on what practice setting you'll have 10 years down the line. The point is to see if you've thought critically about the different types and if you are able to defend it eloquently.

Some people have a passion for wilderness medicine or global health and write about that as such. I have co-residents who only wish to work at a VA. Some people want a relaxed setting where they only see outpatients. Other people love the grind of the hospital (hospitalists). Even crazier people like only critical care.

There's actually a million different ways to answer the question. Honestly the only bad answer is "i don't know, i will have to see". That tells me you're not actually sure what it is that doctors do.

I got asked that 'what setting would i want to practice in' question in nearly every fellowship interview I did a few months ago. People always want to know that you're thinking about what your future job entails.

On the other hand, earlier applicants may have a years-long pattern of doing more research into the application process and proactively looking for ways to improve their application. The apparent advantage for applying early would then be explained by the strength of the applicant pool (though I would not try to argue that there isn't a significant disadvantage to applying beyond August).

On the other hand, earlier applicants may have a years-long pattern of doing more research into the application process and proactively looking for ways to improve their application. The apparent advantage for applying early would then be explained by the strength of the applicant pool (though I would not try to argue that there isn't a significant disadvantage to applying beyond August).

I agree that this must account for some of the advantage. But without knowing how much, it still seems wise to apply early and extremely unwise to apply late.

5/19 Texas stray calf Roundup
Only one stray calf was lassoed this week (the only one to say something on SDN anyway)
This calf was found at A&M and successfully brought over to the herd at McGovern (UTH) on 5/16

Good luck this week

Reactions: 3 users
UTMB grad and PGY-4 Radiology Resident peeking in on the thread and chiming in: that sounds like a really boring essay to read. I don't think the point of the question is to nail you down on what practice setting you'll have 10 years down the line. The point is to see if you've thought critically about the different types and if you are able to defend it eloquently.

Some people have a passion for wilderness medicine or global health and write about that as such. I have co-residents who only wish to work at a VA. Some people want a relaxed setting where they only see outpatients. Other people love the grind of the hospital (hospitalists). Even crazier people like only critical care.

There's actually a million different ways to answer the question. Honestly the only bad answer is "i don't know, i will have to see". That tells me you're not actually sure what it is that doctors do.

I got asked that 'what setting would i want to practice in' question in nearly every fellowship interview I did a few months ago. People always want to know that you're thinking about what your future job entails.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Since I've lived in Houston almost my entire life, I'm gonna talk more about an urban setting and all the things that come along with that. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: I re-read and noticed you said UTMB grad! I hope I get an interview there, it's one of my top choice schools!

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Since I've lived in Houston almost my entire life, I'm gonna talk more about an urban setting and all the things that come along with that. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: I re-read and noticed you said UTMB grad! I hope I get an interview there, it's one of my top choice schools!

Good call. Saying you want to work in a tertiary academic referral center and see all the high level trauma/cancer/sub-speciality stuff is sure to play well to admission folks who work at tertiary academic referral centers.

Oh how time flies...haha

Most likely not. I've only lived in TX for around 2 years total- so I don't have too many ties, considering my family is moving back to England soon! I don't know I could live in a place with no snow anymore though haha Are you planning on staying in TX? I think I read the place where a doctor does residency is the best determinant of where they will stay and practice.

Also, how was your welcome weekend? Are you liking San Antonio?

Most likely not. I've only lived in TX for around 2 years total- so I don't have too many ties, considering my family is moving back to England soon! I don't know I could live in a place with no snow anymore though haha Are you planning on staying in TX? I think I read the place where a doctor does residency is the best determinant of where they will stay and practice.

Also, how was your welcome weekend? Are you liking San Antonio?

Congrats on Columbia. I recall that you had a relatively high LizzyM but only matched at one TMDSAS school. Do you think that's because, although you were a resident, your connection to the state was weak? I ask because I'm a fairly recent Texan as well and your lack of love from TMDSAS has me a bit worried.

Congrats on Columbia. I recall that you had a relatively high LizzyM but only matched at one TMDSAS school. Do you think that's because, although you were a resident, your connection to the state was weak? I ask because I'm a fairly recent Texan as well and your lack of love from TMDSAS has me a bit worried.
You can only match at one school. It's the whole point of the match process.

You can only match at one school. It's the whole point of the match process.

Poor word choice, perhaps. Lots of TX applicants pre-match at several schools. My recollection of his posting from last cycle (which could be wrong, as it's only my memory) is that he had less success in TX than would be expected based on his stats.

Poor word choice, perhaps. Lots of TX applicants pre-match at several schools. My recollection of his posting from last cycle (which could be wrong, as it's only my memory) is that he had less success in TX than would be expected based on his stats.
Most DONT pre-match, if you pre-match you can still only match at one school. Only time you can hold more than one acceptance in Texas is if you matched and then you're offered a position off the WL at a school that you ranked higher than the match you hold. But yes maybe they didn't have the success they were expecting by not receiving interviews from X schools or not being called off the WL by X school yet.

I had a high MCAT but my gpa was lower than average for TX med schools, which is why I think I didn't prematch. Like UTMB has a 3.9 gpa average and mine was def not in that vicinity haha I also just graduated from Columbia a few days ago, so I had pretty close ties with them. The lack of TX ties probably hurt me, especially since I've spent most my life in a different country as well.

As far as lack of love, I received a II at every TX public school except UTSW, UTHSCSA, and UT Austin (got a secondary). I got a II from UT Rio grande, but ended up not going. Mine came later on in the cycle than some people, so that could be another reason. A lot of people don't prematch, so don't worry about that.

I had a high MCAT but my gpa was lower than average for TX med schools, which is why I think I didn't prematch. Like UTMB has a 3.9 gpa average and mine was def not in that vicinity haha I also just graduated from Columbia a few days ago, so I had pretty close ties with them. The lack of TX ties probably hurt me, especially since I've spent most my life in a different country as well.

As far as lack of love, I received a II at every TX public school except UTSW, UTHSCSA, and UT Austin (got a secondary). I got a II from UT Rio grande, but ended up not going. Mine came later on in the cycle than some people, so that could be another reason. A lot of people don't prematch, so don't worry about that.

I suppose McGovern was your top ranked school going into the match. It you matched there, you probably would have matched at several other TMDSAS schools. It looks like you actually were quite successful then, with the exception of UTSW. Congrats again. Go Lions.

Pretty slow around these here parts. Anybody got news to share about getting in from a Texas WL? Image credit Jeffrey Kaphan
467404805.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Is it strange that Lubbock's class is still overfilled? Has this happened before? @wysdoc

Is it strange that Lubbock's class is still overfilled? Has this happened before? @wysdoc
Admissions committees are pretty good at estimating how many offers to make to allow folks to drop to accept a different offer, change their minds, etc. Overfilling has definitely happened at UTHSCSA and I think at one other Texas school in recent years. This year is odd because A&M has cut back their class size by at least 30-50 and might also be overfilled right now, too. This year may be a year with fewer invitations from the WL than usual, but they are trickling in.
Even after June 1, Texans with no acceptances so far and OOS applicants have a chance to get in off a WL.

Status
Not open for further replies.