The Republic of Texas XXXVI: You may all go to hell, and I will go to a Texas medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you rank list is submitted, can you change that before the 19th, or is that final?
The 19th at 5 PM Central time, to be exact :D. Just adding this detail because a lot of other deadlines have been midnight ones for college etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Tentatively ranked out my schools today.

1) Long SOM
2) UTRGV
3) UTMB

Still feeling a bit of a pull towards RGV, as I fell in love with the school on interview day. Got a last minute interview in SA, though, and liked it a ton. So, this is most likely how it'll go.

At the end of the day, I'm just hoping and praying that something works out. Good vibes to everyone else pondering their rank list and waiting for match day!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tentatively ranked out my schools today.

1) Long SOM
2) UTRGV
3) UTMB

Still feeling a bit of a pull towards RGV, as I fell in love with the school on interview day. Got a last minute interview in SA, though, and liked it a ton. So, this is most likely how it'll go.

At the end of the day, I'm just hoping and praying that something works out. Good vibes to everyone else pondering their rank list and waiting for match day!

I've got a similar debate between UTMB and UTRGV and I get how tough it can actually be. I really loved the family-vibe at UTRGV and the support system of the faculty and administration. On the surface, you'd think you'd want to go to the more established school in UTMB, but UTRGV really sold themselves well on interview day.

1. Long SOM
2. UTRGV

Short and sweet. I absolutely fell in love with SA! Here's hoping for a match!

Reactions: 2 users
I've got a similar debate between UTMB and UTRGV and I get how tough it can actually be. I really loved the family-vibe at UTRGV and the support system of the faculty and administration. On the surface, you'd think you'd want to go to the more established school in UTMB, but UTRGV really sold themselves well on interview day.

Haha glad someone else knows the struggle. Hoping for the best for both of us!

1. UTSW (Prematch)
  2. McGovern (Prematch)
  3. UTMB (Prematch)
  4. Dell (Prematch)
  5. Texas Tech Elpaso (Prematch)
  6. UTSA
  7. Texas Tech Lubbock
  8. UTRGV (Prematch)

Reactions: 1 user
1. UTSW (Prematch)
2. McGovern (Prematch)
3. TT Lubbock (Prematch)
4. Long SOM
5. UTMB (Pre-match --> withdraw)

To all those without a prematch to their top choice, may the odds be in your favor!

1. UTSW (Prematch)
2. McGovern (Prematch)
3. TT Lubbock (Prematch)
4. Long SOM
5. UTMB (Pre-match --> withdraw)

To all those without a prematch to their top choice, may the odds be in your favor!

Gotta say, it makes me happy to see all of you guys who pre-matched at UTSW rank it first, leaving spots at the other schools opening up for the rest of us on match day! ;) Fingers crossed!

Anyone else periodically going back in to hit the Save/Submit on your rank preference page "just in case"?
:);)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that according to TMDSAS rules an applicant should rank all the places where they have interviewed.
I am not sure if I am being nit-picky here, but I think if you have officially withdrawn an application, you should put those withdrawn schools at the bottom of your rank list.
Withdrawn schools don't show up on rank list

Edit: whoops saw this was already addressed when I read further

Who else feels like their rank list is going to get messed up somehow? This is a particularly crazy worry for me since I only have one school to rank.

Reactions: 7 users
Who else feels like their rank list is going to get messed up somehow? This is a particularly crazy worry for me since I only have one school to rank.

I feel ya...I have 5 screen prints saved onto my desktop of my ranking, just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

You are not alone. I keep thinking that somehow my ranking is just going to disappear, despite having been checked and saved multiple times since November.

having a hard time ranking Long vs Utmb. anyone offer advice on this please?

City-wise, Galveston < SA. Just my opinion, though. I've heard some UTMB students are somewhat unhappy living in Galveston. Nonetheless, imagine you open your match page and see either schools name. Which one makes you happier to see?

City-wise, Galveston < SA. Just my opinion, though. I've heard some UTMB students are somewhat unhappy living in Galveston. Nonetheless, imagine you open your match page and see either schools name. Which one makes you happier to see?
This is how I determined my rank list. I asked myself which school would I would be happiest to see I matched at given my options. Next, I would take out that school that I would hopefully match to and do the same thing over again for the rest that remain. It made the whole process much less stressful.

They're so similar that I don't know what advice anyone can give you beyond personal fit/feel. UTMB has higher Step 1, Long has better match (I believe). Long seems to monitor students a bit more and have more required-attendance events (not all that many, but to an extent), whereas UTMB seemed to leave a lot up to student's discretion with attendance and managing time. Other than that, city/location preference, overall vibe with student body, etc. are all a person-by-person thing.

I interviewed at these two schools so you can PM me if you want more of my own thinking, but again it's really just an individual perspective that I think differentiates between a lot of the UT-system schools especially. Best of luck!

They're so similar that I don't know what advice anyone can give you beyond personal fit/feel. UTMB has higher Step 1, Long has better match (I believe). Long seems to monitor students a bit more and have more required-attendance events (not all that many, but to an extent), whereas UTMB seemed to leave a lot up to student's discretion with attendance and managing time. Other than that, city/location preference, overall vibe with student body, etc. are all a person-by-person thing.

I interviewed at these two schools so you can PM me if you want more of my own thinking, but again it's really just an individual perspective that I think differentiates between a lot of the UT-system schools especially. Best of luck!
I like LongSOM because of the added structure. If I went to UTMB I would be on the beach with my dog all day long and never get anything done. The threat of a million quizzes a week at Long would motivate me to keep up with my studies much more. To each their own. You really can't go wrong in Texas.

I like LongSOM because of the added structure. If I went to UTMB I would be on the beach with my dog all day long and never get anything done. The threat of a million quizzes a week at Long would motivate me to keep up with my studies much more. To each their own. You really can't go wrong in Texas.

Same, but like you said, that still comes down to individual preference and learning style.

Has anyone that prematched to A&M or TCOM received a scholarship offer?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What are your personal pros and cons for each place?
I think I would thrive on the added structure that others mention, if it is true. Galveston is closer to my support system, which I might not realize the value of as I am not yet in the situation that I am far away from them. SA impresses me with how well they communicate, whether it be with the cheery emails or with those who presented throughout the interview day. I know everyone talks about how laid back utmb is but I got the feeling that SA was even more so. but I don't want to put too much weight on a 1st impression since all schools were doing their best to sell their institution.

I think I would thrive on the added structure that others mention, if it is true. Galveston is closer to my support system, which I might not realize the value of as I am not yet in the situation that I am far away from them. SA impresses me with how well they communicate, whether it be with the cheery emails or with those who presented throughout the interview day. I know everyone talks about how laid back utmb is but I got the feeling that SA was even more so. but I don't want to put too much weight on a 1st impression since all schools were doing their best to sell their institution.
I got the feeling that both were pretty laid back as well. If you're still not sure, maybe go back and look through notes on things like curriculum specifics like P/F, how long you get for Step, etc. I don't think there's necessarily a wrong choice here.

Has anyone that prematched to A&M or TCOM received a scholarship offer?

Not sure about A&M, but scholarship application information was sent by TCOM a couple weeks ago I think. From what I remember on my interview day I heard something like "our philosophy is to give lots of people a little money, not a lot of money to a few people". So, I'm not sure how many students get offered significant scholarships outright. But you CAN apply for some.

You are not alone. I keep thinking that somehow my ranking is just going to disappear, despite having been checked and saved multiple times since November.

#SAME

I go back and forth between checking that my only pre-match hasn't disappeared, and re-saving/submitting my rank list.

Not sure about A&M, but scholarship application information was sent by TCOM a couple weeks ago I think. From what I remember on my interview day I heard something like "our philosophy is to give lots of people a little money, not a lot of money to a few people". So, I'm not sure how many students get offered significant scholarships outright. But you CAN apply for some.

Thanks for the reply. I remember something similar at my interview. I have strong family ties to the DFW area and I've been offered a scholarship elsewhere... my rank list is still in limbo!

Thanks for the reply. I remember something similar at my interview. I have strong family ties to the DFW area and I've been offered a scholarship elsewhere... my rank list is still in limbo!

Hope ya got it figured out alright in that last half hour! Fingers crosseed it goes your way in a couple weeks!

Well, cowboys, this is the day you all listed your preferences for the TMDSAS match. Make your peace with it, take a deep breath, and let's wait for the news on Match Day.

Remember, even if you didn't match, as long as you had some Texas interviews you are still in the game. You could get invited in from a Wait List any time between now and the first day of class!

So whether this is you - waiting calmly and gracefully, 10409494_278079165697416_2738845132398804998_n.jpg

or more like Beaker tearing out his wild hair, 11091157_385982338240431_6011008431864377770_n.jpg

I wish for you all the best, and take a well deserved break for the next 2 weeks.

I will make a running post after match day that I call the Texas Roundup with news of invites from the Wait List.

Wysdoc

Reactions: 13 users
Hope ya got it figured out alright in that last half hour! Fingers crosseed it goes your way in a couple weeks!

I sure did... Thanks for the positive vibes! I feel good about my rank list. Now we can all chillax until the 1st... We've done all that we can do now! Best of luck

I felt really panicked right after I submitted wondering if I made the right choice but feel much better today after sleeping on it and feel assured I did the right thing.

I felt really panicked right after I submitted wondering if I made the right choice but feel much better today after sleeping on it and feel assured I did the right thing.

Atta girl! You've worked hard and have been a great source of optimism for many on this site... Good things will come your way!

Btw... I think we interviewed at A&M together ;) Where did you end up ranking them?

Atta girl! You've worked hard and have been a great source of optimism for many on this site... Good things will come your way!

Btw... I think we interviewed at A&M together ;) Where did you end up ranking them?

Awe thank you so much! I ranked them third! After Lubbock and utsw! :) where did you rank them?

Well, cowboys, this is the day you all listed your preferences for the TMDSAS match. Make your peace with it, take a deep breath, and let's wait for the news on Match Day.

Remember, even if you didn't match, as long as you had some Texas interviews you are still in the game. You could get invited in from a Wait List any time between now and the first day of class!

So whether this is you - waiting calmly and gracefully, View attachment 228165

or more like Beaker tearing out his wild hair, View attachment 228166

I wish for you all the best, and take a well deserved break for the next 2 weeks.

I will make a running post after match day that I call the Texas Roundup with news of invites from the Wait List.

Wysdoc

You're awesome!

Just out of curiosity, where/how do you get your info for the news of invites from Wait List? Do you have an inside track to each school's Wait List or is that proprietary info that cannot be shared?

You're awesome!

Just out of curiosity, where/how do you get your info for the news of invites from Wait List? Do you have an inside track to each school's Wait List or is that proprietary info that cannot be shared?
I don't have any inside track, I scan the posts on each Texas school's SDN page every day and see who has announced their news, then make a list. So, I can only post what you guys announce on SDN. Share the good news when you get it, y'all!

Less than 3 days to the big one :boom:

I told myself I wouldn't let myself get anxious, but here we are lol.

Lol, yup. No matter how hard I try to stay busy or keep my mind off it, the thought is always lurking in the back of my head. And it doesn't help that I told a lot of people that Feb. 1 is the day. T minus 66 hours...

This sleeve of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies is DELICIOUS!

Lol, yup. No matter how hard I try to stay busy or keep my mind off it, the thought is always lurking in the back of my head. And it doesn't help that I told a lot of people that Feb. 1 is the day. T minus 66 hours...

This sleeve of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies is DELICIOUS!

*SLEEVES of thin mints

Reactions: 4 users
I wanted to wish you all the best of luck on Thursday!

I’ll be back on Thursday to either report happiness or ask for advice on my gap year(s) plan ;)

I keep telling myself that unless I match to my number 1 choice, my plans are technically still up in the air until June 1st.
This makes me both more anxious and simultaneously at peace with whatever happens on Thursday morning.

Waiting on the match is almost as bad as waiting on the army to release me from Active duty....so much in the air

Anybody know what time tomorrow emails could should go out? (is it worth staying up until midnight? LOL)

Anybody know what time tomorrow emails could should go out? (is it worth staying up until midnight? LOL)

From previous years' threads, UTMB has historically sent out emails at midnight! All other schools seem to wait until the portal is updated at 8am.

Status
Not open for further replies.