The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this Texas Applicant talk and support thread for 2018-2019 application season. We usually post progress, news, and later, updates, acceptances, and Waitlist action.
Try to keep technical questions about TMDSAS on the official TMDSAS questions thread. Good luck, all y'all!

ddeebe1704b5a4df11bb41c73e10d2d5--ranching-quotes-cowboy-sayings.jpg

cVoQXac.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I wanted to bump this thread to increase visibility for new applicants. Also feel free to reach out to me personally if anyone has any questions regarding paying for medical school. I'm just an incoming non-traditional medical student who has read about personal finance for years, I have nothing to sell you, but I'm happy to help provide clarity on often confusing financial considerations when applying to/attending medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*stress eats whataburger while filling out application*

Reactions: 9 users
*stress eats whataburger while filling out application*
I don't understand, it's not between 11p and 11a so there's no way you could be eating the breakfast which is really the only option.

What would y'all do in this situation: I know both of my biological parents but would rather not include one of them on my app because I might be unfairly judged just by being their child (you can Google this person and the first thing that comes up is bad). I wasn't raised by/around them. In the family section of the TMDSAS app, would you say you don't have information about this person (which I really don't beyond a name)?

If the only reason is because you feel that you'd be unfairly judged, I think you should include the information.

If you genuinely have no information or otherwise are not at liberty to disclose that information (e.g. legal proceedings?), then you should say that you have no information.

Reactions: 1 user
I am an upcoming MS1 at TTUHSC PLFSOM at El Paso (class of 2022) Texas resident, pre-matched here and then matched (my top choice). It was my second application cycle, a journey full of challenges but I made it in and so can you! In the process, I learned a lot about the application process both TMDSAS and AMCAS. My advice to y'all: Never quit because your perseverance is rewarded.
That being said if any of you have any questions regarding TMDSAS or the general application process, feel free to reach out to me. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I’m not currently living in Texas and don’t have access to Whataburger. How do I fill out this app?????

Whataburger is overrated. Give me a Sourdough Jack from Jack in the Box and I'm good.

Reactions: 2 users
Y'all are sleeping on the food from buc-ees...those kolaches gave me life during my drives to the various interviews in our great state

Pinthouse Pizza in Austin is where its at

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there certain schools that traditionally review applicants earlier than others? Trying to decide in what order to tackle the secondaries I have left to complete.

Are there certain schools that traditionally review applicants earlier than others? Trying to decide in what order to tackle the secondaries I have left to complete.
I'd say TTU Lubbock, considering they've started sending IIs

Can anyone comment on the chances of getting into a Texas school OOS? Is it just me or does it seem like TX residents have a better chance of getting into med school?

Can anyone comment on the chances of getting into a Texas school OOS? Is it just me or does it seem like TX residents have a better chance of getting into med school?
Each Texas school takes up to 10% OOS in their class, except Baylor which takes about 20%. For this reason most Texans stay in Texas. OOS applicants with top grades/scores, with a great fit for a school's mission, or with some other interesting/remarkable part of the application have a chance. The percentage of Texans admitted to med school is about the same as the national average, so even though it seems "easier" to get in, the rate of admission is about the same, but the location of the school is skewed.

Reactions: 4 users
Probably depends more on which schools you apply to. If you apply within a reasonable range of your stats and experience, and do well on the interview, you should be able to get in. I'm Tx resident and got accepted into two oos schools and waitlisted at 4 other schools (all DO) despite applying pretty late. LizzyM=65, lots of ECs, strong LoRs

Looks like the TCU - UNTHSC Medical School website has been updated quite a bit (or maybe this is just my first time seeing it LOL). Website still indicates they are looking to begin July 2019, I'd bet pending the accreditation they need could open up on AMCAS later in cylce similar to Seton-Hall and CalMed last year. Intriguing.

Can't post the link due to rules, but its mdschool dot tcu dot edu

Looks like the TCU - UNTHSC Medical School website has been updated quite a bit (or maybe this is just my first time seeing it LOL). Website still indicates they are looking to begin July 2019, I'd bet pending the accreditation they need could open up on AMCAS later in cylce similar to Seton-Hall and CalMed last year. Intriguing.

Can't post the link due to rules, but its mdschool dot tcu dot edu
Thanks for the info, that's sure a purty website. They will not be given a decision on their bid for preliminary accreditation until October 2018. If approved, they could start taking apps in October.

How's it going, y'all?
Keep working steadily on your secondary applications and check your emails regularly. You might want to make an email folder for each school you apply to.
So far, Texas Tech Lubbock and UTMB have sent out some interview invitations to you early bird applicants. No action at the other Texas schools.
Remember that it is very early in the season, so don't stress if you haven't heard from a school and don't start calling them!

Reactions: 5 users
From what I gathered, these were the first SDN reported interview dates from last year. Thought it might be helpful!

Lubbock: 6/23 (2018: 6/8)
TCOM: 6/27
UTMB: 7/5 (2018: 6/30)
A&M: 7/13
PLFSOM: 7/18
Dell: 7/20
Long: 7/27
McGovern: 8/1
UTRGV: 8/8
UTSW: 8/10

Reactions: 11 users
From what I gathered, these were the first SDN reported interview dates from last year. Thought it might be helpful!

Thanks for scanning. I thought about doing this but was too lazy. I believe Baylor also came out in early August, near same time as UTSW.

Well this was just the motivation I needed to get back to secondaries. Oof.

Howdy-
So far 5 of the Texas schools have begun sending out interview invitations. Remember this is VERY early in the season, so do not compare yourself to other SDN'ers too closely or feel any discouragement. The only thing I suggest you do is check your school portals once a week or so for messages or updates. If it has been a few weeks since your initial submission and you haven't heard any confirmation from a school, it won't hurt to send a polite email saying, "I have submitted all the components of my application, could you please confirm that my file is complete?"
Don't ask, "so are you going to interview me, or what?" LOL, as much as you really want to.

Also, they do read your app and screen for interview candidates. So if you talked all about high tech research and loving big city life, you are not as likely to get an interview at Texas Tech Lubbock or UTRGV, for example.

Those 5 inviting schools so far are: Texas Tech, UTMB, Dell, TCOM, and UTRGV.

Updated to add first dates Interview Invitations offered for 2018-2019 year:
6/8 Texas Tech Lubbock
6/30 UTMB
7/6 Dell
7/9 TCOM
7/10 UTRGV
7/12 A&M
7/13 Paul Foster El Paso
7/18 UIWSOM
7/19 McGovern
7/22 Long
8/1 UTSW

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Do Texas schools send out II if there is a pending MCAT score? I do have a previous MCAT score and got 2 II last year.

Do Texas schools send out II if there is a pending MCAT score? I do have a previous MCAT score and got 2 II last year.
Your risk in applying while waiting on a new MCAT score is that they might judge you based on your old one. They are not obliged to wait for the new score to look over your app. When do you expect the score?

Great to see some movement and people getting invited! Like wysdoc said, it's really early in the cycle, so to put things into perspective a bit, for your sanity as well as my own: 2 of my friends (and fellow Texans) who got into A&M 2 years ago and TCOM last cycle both submitted in May and didn't get IIs until October and November, respectively, so keep your head up during the long wait, y'all.

Last edited:
Someone I know was literally accepted to TCOM the day before their orientation. Never lose hope

Great to see some movement and people getting invited! Like wysdoc said, it's really early in the cycle, so to put things into perspective a bit, for your sanity as well as my own: 2 of my friends (and fellow Texans) who got into A&M 2 years ago and TCOM last cycle both submitted in May and didn't get IIs until October and November, respectively, so keep your head up during the long wait, y'all.
I seriously see your posts on a lot of the schools I'm applying to and its really refreshing to read your positivity. Not to be sappy or anything, but just thought I'd give you a public shout-out. Can't wait to see you start posting about your own II.

I seriously see your posts on a lot of the schools I'm applying to and its really refreshing to read your positivity. Not to be sappy or anything, but just thought I'd give you a public shout-out. Can't wait to see you start posting about your own II.
Hahaha yeeeah we do see a lot of each other across these threads, huh? Seriously, thanks so much for your support and kind words. It's actually hard for me to stay positive, since I tend to beat myself up and occasionally feel like garbage, so your comment surprised me and made my day. I do try to relieve my self-depreciation by cheering on others, though, and I find that it helps.

Hahaha yeeeah we do see a lot of each other across these threads, huh? Seriously, thanks so much for your support and kind words. It's actually hard for me to stay positive, since I tend to beat myself up and occasionally feel like garbage, so your comment surprised me and made my day. I do try to relieve my self-depreciation by cheering on others, though, and I find that it helps.
Well it’s very much appreciated. We’ll get through it, eventually, lol. Then it’ll be on to stressing about boards and residency. A cruel mistress, that medicine is.

Well it’s very much appreciated. We’ll get through it, eventually, lol. Then it’ll be on to stressing about boards and residency. A cruel mistress, that medicine is.
Yet here we are trying to curry her favor. Hah, couldn't help thinking how Anton Chekhov (one of my favorite authors) called medicine his lawful wife, and literature his mistress.

Your risk in applying while waiting on a new MCAT score is that they might judge you based on your old one. They are not obliged to wait for the new score to look over your app. When do you expect the score?
I’m taking it early August, which I know is very late but I’m in an SMP that makes us take an MCAT course and that’s what they advised.

I’m taking it early August, which I know is very late but I’m in an SMP that makes us take an MCAT course and that’s what they advised.
Ahh UNTHSC MedSci? I have quite a few friends (including myself) that completed the program. Good number of successful applicants to TCOM and other DO schools, so if you do well in the program you should be fine!

Ahh UNTHSC MedSci? I have quite a few friends (including myself) that completed the program. Good number of successful applicants to TCOM and other DO schools, so if you do well in the program you should be fine!

Yes! So even though I'm retaking my MCAT pretty late, I can have a successful app cycle? I've been worried about that, and my dream school is Long School of Medicine, which I did interview at last year.

There are A LOT of people in my class that completed the MedSci program. At least a quarter of the class.

I’ve also seen where MedScis went off to other schools in Texas.

Yes! So even though I'm retaking my MCAT pretty late, I can have a successful app cycle? I've been worried about that, and my dream school is Long School of Medicine, which I did interview at last year.
I don't know about chances as a reapplicant. All I can tell you is work as hard as you can, do well in your classes (Esp biostats and biochem in fall since they'll be your first gpa courses), and kill the MCAT. Also make heavy use of the writing center on campus for your essays!

Finally heard from TMDSAS about my letters being received! But two of them are missing something... One of the writers is on vacation and won't be able to update the letter for a few weeks. Luckily, we don't need the letters to process our app.

I don't know about chances as a reapplicant. All I can tell you is work as hard as you can, do well in your classes (Esp biostats and biochem in fall since they'll be your first gpa courses), and kill the MCAT. Also make heavy use of the writing center on campus for your essays!
Thank you for the encouragement! I’m doing my best!

should I be worried I haven't received any II's yet or am I just being neurotic. did receive the Dell secondary not too long ago, but have been complete at the others late June and nothing.

should I be worried I haven't received any II's yet or am I just being neurotic. did receive the Dell secondary not too long ago, but have been complete at the others late June and nothing.
"Late June" was only 3 weeks ago but I know it can seem like forever! Interviews haven't begun yet though a few invitations are out. Congrats for getting things done early, carry on with school and life for now.

If it makes you feel better, I did not ever get a Dell secondary and received interviews at TCOM, UTSW, UTMB, and UTH last cycle.

"Late June" was only 3 weeks ago but I know it can seem like forever! Interviews haven't begun yet though a few invitations are out. Congrats for getting things done early, carry on with school and life for now.
That's the advice I need, just have to get my mind off the process now that it is out of my hands. Thank you for everything you do for us applicants on here!

If it makes you feel better, I did not ever get a Dell secondary and received interviews at TCOM, UTSW, UTMB, and UTH last cycle.
thank you for this, I shouldn't get too doom and gloom its still early. Congrats on your acceptance and beginning med school soon as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.