The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No match with 4. Dont know what to do anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Welp, looks like we’re in it for the long haul, fellow no-matchers. Keep your heads up high.

Reactions: 3 users
Did not match.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to Long!! So so so grateful!

Matched Long!!!! Woot!

Reactions: 1 users
After every interview "wow we would love to have you here you are such a great fit", k den match me lol:(:barf:

Reactions: 5 users
No Match with 6 II.

Matched to UTMB! Congratulations to everyone who matched! For those who didn't today, keep your head up. There is plenty of time and things can change. Hoping the best for you!

Seems really hard, almost impossible, to believe this many folks didn’t match on here and reddit

Reactions: 8 users
I know we want to think that means something, but 10 people combined in our situation across both sites isn't statistically significant by any means. Hopefully it means we're well qualified applicants on the waitlists.

No match with 5 II. Idk what to say
I am so sorry. No match today really sucks. But it's far from over. You will soon get on the waitlist, and maybe from all five schools :). On the bright side, you might have more options on where to attend in the future than people who matched today.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to McGovern!!! I'm incredibly blessed and humbled by this opportunity. Congrats to those who matched as well, and for those who did not, I definitely know how it is as I did not match last year. But yes there is plenty of time for things to shift, and what's for you is for you! That will not change regardless of what circumstances look like presently.

OK. Ughhh I'm on a waitlist streak rn so that's why I asked. 3 in a row OOS, not the happiest cowboy on the ranch
Here's hoping tomorrow brings better news!

Just yee'd my loudest haw yet, matched at A&M.
Happy cowboy :)

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone know when waitlist emails start sending out?

Would anyone help me understand how wait list movement works? Do spots only open up if people that matched today decide to go out of state or to an AMCAS school? I am confused on the specifics of how it works and how spots are filled.

Would anyone help me understand how wait list movement works? Do spots only open up if people that matched today decide to go out of state or to an AMCAS school? I am confused on the specifics of how it works and how spots are filled.
I wonder if some schools set aside spots for wait lists

+1

If the people a school accepts rank other schools higher and those schools accept them, then after match day the school may have some spots left open that they fill with waitlists. I'm pretty sure...

Is there a difference between alternate lists and waitlists, and are they exclusive to a smaller pool of unmatched? Does it depend on the school?

Just got the alternate list email from PLF. At this point, is there anything I can do, or is it just blind luck from here?

Is there a difference between alternate lists and waitlists, and are they exclusive to a smaller pool of unmatched? Does it depend on the school?

I'm curious about this too!

How accurate is the data on the MSAR. According to it, PLFSOM has 8-10 positions on their waitlist of which they accept 8.

Reactions: 2 users
Alternate list has the same meaning as wait list. Can you explain what you mean by the second part of your question?
You could have a match, for example, but still be on a waitlist at a school you had ranked higher. Or you could have no match and be on one or more wait lists. They are not separate pools.

How accurate is the data on the MSAR. According to it, PLFSOM has 8-10 positions on their waitlist of which they accept 8.

That would be awesome if true since I also received the wait list email after not getting matched any where. But someone on the PLFSOM thread posted that they called admissions and were told that they sent out that email to everyone who didn’t match.

Does anyone know what happens to unmatched schools if you've matched? E.g. let's say you got into your 2nd choice school, what happens to that 1st choice school?

I'm asking because I'd rather definitively know where I'm ending up in the Fall in order to make future plans that won't get shaken up by a potential later acceptance. I'm tired of playing the waiting game, especially when I'm super happy with my 2nd ranked school (they were nearly tied in my head actually so it was a tough decision deciding how to rank 2 weeks ago).

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happens to unmatched schools if you've ranked? E.g. let's say you got into your 2nd choice school, what happens to that 1st choice school?

I'm asking because I'd rather definitively know where I'm ending up in the Fall in order to make future plans that won't get shaken up by a potential later acceptance. I'm tired of playing the waiting game, especially when I'm super happy with my 2nd ranked school (they were nearly tied in my head actually so it was a tough decision deciding how to rank 2 weeks ago).

You will be placed into the waitlist for your 1st choice school and be automatically withdrawn from any school ranked below your current match.

Does anyone know what happens to unmatched schools if you've matched? E.g. let's say you got into your 2nd choice school, what happens to that 1st choice school?

@fickled if you are content with the match you have now and would like to start your planning, you may withdraw yourself from consideration from that #1 school.
You have until April 30 to make a final decision.
Even if you do get an offer from that #1 school, you may accept it or turn it down. You do not have to switch.

@fickled if you are content with the match you have now and would like to start your planning, you may withdraw yourself from consideration from that #1 school.
You have until April 30 to make a final decision.
Even if you do get an offer from that #1 school, you may accept it or turn it down. You do not have to switch.

Thank you so much for this very helpful reply! Yes, that's what I was wondering, whether a later acceptance from that first ranked school automatically forces you to switch (would hate to be looking at apartments and then be surprised that I must move to a different city lol).

Alternate list has the same meaning as wait list. Can you explain what you mean by the second part of your question?
You could have a match, for example, but still be on a waitlist at a school you had ranked higher. Or you could have no match and be on one or more wait lists. They are not separate pools.
I meant to ask whether any of the waitlists for applicants without matches were an indication of better chances. After reading more it seems like everyone but applicants at their top school are waitlisted indiscriminately and there is no way to predict anything.

Edit: Here is a ray of sunshine.

The TMDSAS Waitlist: Uncovering the Veil of Uncertainty

Last edited:
I meant to ask whether any of the waitlists for applicants without matches were an indication of better chances. After reading more it seems like everyone but applicants at their top school are waitlisted indiscriminately and there is no way to predict anything.

Edit: Here is a ray of sunshine.

The TMDSAS Waitlist: Uncovering the Veil of Uncertainty
Thanks for posting that link, @raf1ki
The other ray of hope or twist in the TMDSAS match system is: After June 1, any offers to people still waiting on a TMDSAS wait list can only be made to someone who has no other matches so far. This means that between June 1 and the start of a school's orientation, any open spots can only go to unmatched Texans, or to OOS applicants if the school's limit of 10% OOS students has not been reached.

Last edited:
Anyone know the likelihood of getting off a waitlist?

Anyone know the likelihood of getting off a waitlist?

The link that raf1ki posted says 54%, but it’s from data from 2015. This cycle apparently saw the most applications, so who knows what the percentage will be?

The link that raf1ki posted says 54%, but it’s from data from 2015. This cycle apparently saw the most applications, so who knows what the percentage will be?
Does that mean they interviewed more than ever before?

Does that mean they interviewed more than ever before?
I don’t know about all schools. Some schools like Tamu interviewed around 600 but others like utmb interviewed over a 1000 which is kind of crazy

That linked report said 54% of those who applied on TMDSAS got an interview, but as you guys may have discovered it's pretty hard to find facts or data on the number accepted off a Waitlist.

Here is an AAMC Data chart on Waitlist Procedures. Some schools have provided an idea of the number "typically" taken off their WL. Scroll to find your school of interest:
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...76df-4792-bff1-3385709b890e/waitlist_2018.pdf

That linked report said 54% of those who applied on TMDSAS got an interview, but as you guys may have discovered it's pretty hard to find facts or data on the number accepted off a Waitlist.

Here is an AAMC Data chart on Waitlist Procedures. Some schools have provided an idea of the number "typically" taken off their WL. Scroll to find your school of interest:
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...76df-4792-bff1-3385709b890e/waitlist_2018.pdf

Here's the approximation that came up with 54% of waitlisted students in Texas get in (to be taken with a grain of salt because the method is unscientific and the stats are several years behind). It essential assumes that in 2015, the 215 Texans who went OOS and the 140 students to Baylor opened up a total of 355 more seats for the Texas waitlists. Not sure how much sense that makes.

Due to the assertions about competitiveness of Texas applicants accepted to BCM or another AMCAS school, most likely a total of 355 Texas residents (BCM+AMCAS) who were already accepted to a TMDSAS school instead chose to attend an OOS school or BCM. This means that of the 1482 Texas residents accepted through the TMDSAS match, only 1127 matriculated to a TMDSAS school. Because TMDSAS schools must keep their 90% Texas resident quota, the majority of these seats went to unmatched IS residents. So of those 652 Texas residents who were interviewed but did not match to a TMDSAS school, approximately 355 were later pulled off the waitlist and matriculated to a TMDSAS school. Approximately 54% of waitlisted applicants were eventually pulled off the waitlist.

Last edited:
Here's the approximation that came up with 54% of waitlisted students in Texas get in (to be taken with a grain of salt because the method is unscientific and the stats are several years behind). It essential assumes that in 2015, the 215 Texans who went OOS and the 140 students to Baylor opened up a total of 355 more seats for the Texas waitlists. Not sure how much sense that makes.
While it's interesting to think about this, we do not have the data points to get to any conclusions about the chances of acceptance from a WL.
Even if we knew the number of acceptees off a WL for each Texas school, some of those already had an acceptance and just traded up!
We don't have the number of WL accepts who had no prior offers to work with here.

AMCAS compiles many great data tables at the end of each application cycle (and they do include data for Texas and TMDSAS).
I uploaded the most recent "Table a5 2017-2018" below, the table that analyzes where residents from each state go to medical school.

Texas residents, 2017-2018 cycle:
4515 Texans applied to medical school
1494 matriculated in-state
232 matriculated out-of-state
2789 did not get in anywhere

Overall acceptance rate for Texans to any med school (IS + OOS) is 38.2%, close to the national number of 41%
86.5% of Texans matriculate in Texas, only 13.5% get in out-of-state.

National numbers (calculated over all applicants) show that 25.1% of applicants go to their own state,16.2% go out-of-state, and 58.7% don't get in anywhere.

Attachments

• factstablea5.pdf in stte vs oos matric copy.pdf
    77.3 KB · Views: 75
We have a lower acceptance rate than the national average. But people are always lamenting how easy it is if your a Texas applicant.

Reactions: 6 users
While it's interesting to think about this, we do not have the data points to get to any conclusions about the chances of acceptance from a WL.
Even if we knew the number of acceptees off a WL for each Texas school, some of those already had an acceptance and just traded up!
We don't have the number of WL accepts who had no prior offers to work with here.

Still, each person who trades up opens their seat back up to the waitlist. So the overall number of ~350 seems to make sense (for that year in particular). I would just adjust it to be lower since Baylor likely begins accepting before Match day.

So, I’m currently waitlisted at 5 schools. I’m going to go ahead and start building my app for the next cycle in case I’m not one of the lucky people to get the magical call this spring.

What should I work on these next few months?

Non-trad, URM, IS

cGPA/sGPA: 3.66/3.54

MCAT: 500 and 508

Clinical hours: 2000+ (2 years ED scribing; will continue this job) (most of my interviewers considered this as shadowing)

Research: 250 hours over 2 years with a presentation. Non-clinical though, but science related.

Volunteering: Did lots with premed clubs when I was still in college. Don’t remember the exact hrs tho.

LORs: 2 profs, 1 MD

I interviewed at Lubbock, El Paso, UTHSCSA, UTSW, and UTRGV.

So, I’m currently waitlisted at 5 schools. I’m going to go ahead and start building my app for the next cycle in case I’m not one of the lucky people to get the magical call this spring.

Non-trad, URM, IS

Clinical hours: 2000+ (2 years ED scribing; will continue this job) (most of my interviewers considered this as shadowing)

Research: 250 hours over 2 years with a presentation. Non-clinical though, but science related.

Volunteering: Did lots with premed clubs when I was still in college. Don’t remember the exact hrs tho.

Two things that stick out to me are your MCAT and volunteering hours. Maybe someone with some more insight can chime in, but I would think adding some non-clinical volunteering would help and maybe retaking the MCAT if you believe you can get over 510. The other thing I don’t see mentioned enough here is interview practice. 5 II and 5 WL would make me believe that your stats are good enough for any of those schools, but maybe you just didn’t do as well as you needed in the interview. Obivously better stats improve your chances but I think a great interview can definitely make up for some stats. Keep your head up, lots of opportunity for WL movement and you clearly have something going for you to get those 5 II.

Two things that stick out to me are your MCAT and volunteering hours. Maybe someone with some more insight can chime in, but I would think adding some non-clinical volunteering would help and maybe retaking the MCAT if you believe you can get over 510. The other thing I don’t see mentioned enough here is interview practice. 5 II and 5 WL would make me believe that your stats are good enough for any of those schools, but maybe you just didn’t do as well as you needed in the interview. Obivously better stats improve your chances but I think a great interview can definitely make up for some stats. Keep your head up, lots of opportunity for WL movement and you clearly have something going for you to get those 5 II.

I didn’t have any interview practice. I felt like they went well, especially at Long and UTRGV, but I guess there’s some personal bias.

As for the MCAT, I’d rather not take it again after recently selling off my materials. My 3 AAMC FL practice scores were 510, 506, and 509.

For non-clinical volunteering the only thing I can think of doing consistently is a food bank, since those are usually open to everyone and have no requirements. I did hospital volunteering, but I think I’m pretty set on clinical stuff.

I didn’t have any interview practice. I felt like they went well, especially at Long and UTRGV, but I guess there’s some personal bias.

As for the MCAT, I’d rather not take it again after recently selling off my materials. My 3 AAMC FL practice scores were 510, 506, and 509.

For non-clinical volunteering the only thing I can think of doing consistently is a food bank, since those are usually open to everyone and have no requirements. I did hospital volunteering, but I think I’m pretty set on clinical stuff.

did you submit your app early?

Non-trad, URM, IS

Submit app May 1st. Make changes as needed to the personal statement and have someone read over extracurriculars/TMDSAS essays again. Make changes as necessary but aim to be ready May 1st. Improve volunteering, aim for 100 hours clinical and 100 hours non-clinical setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.