The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey yall what do you guys think about retaking a 511 mcat? Currently contemplating it for a more successful cycle next time around (I am not gonna count on WLs).
I don't think retaking a 511 is advisable unless you have a subsection <124, and even then it is questionable.

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT is probably not the reason you didn't get in. Though a higher score never hurts. It's gotta be like 517+ though. I would probably try to improve other aspects of app
I know its not what held me back, but I feel like it didn't really knock any doors down. I have a friend that had the same gpa as me, 516+ mcat, weak Ecs and got in. I feel like TX schools are getting so competitive you really need at least a 513 as an ORM

I know its not what held me back, but I feel like it didn't really knock any doors down. I have a friend that had the same gpa as me, 516+ mcat, weak Ecs and got in. I feel like TX schools are getting so competitive you really need at least a 513 as an ORM
Only 36% of Texas matriculants had MCAT of 512 or more. See the chart on page 12 of this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only 36% of Texas matriculants had MCAT of 512 or more. See the chart on page 12 of this thread.

36% is a lot lol, also that's the last cycle. Things are going up.

If wanting to get into any medical school try to hit these scores for a really solid chance. If you hit these your MCAT will absolutely not be the reason you don't get any acceptances. (calculated as 1 SD above mean matriculant from [AAMC])
* Asian: 519
* White: 518
* African American: 511
* Hispanic American: 513
* Native American 513
* Other: 513
* International: 515

Reactions: 1 users

If wanting to get into any medical school try to hit these scores for a really solid chance. If you hit these your MCAT will absolutely not be the reason you don't get any acceptances. (calculated as 1 SD above mean matriculant from [AAMC])
* Native American 513

this is a poor way to advise ppl to think about MCAT scores. If your MCAT score is above the 25th percentile, the MCAT is not the sole reason you were rejected from a medical school. Especially in TX, where only 3 schools have distributions with medians near 518/519. The idea that you need to be above average to be competitive for medical school is just a myth and does more harm than good imo.

Second, the stat distributions in TX have been stable for like 3-4 cycles now. These things dont change all that dramatically without some kind of paradigm shift happening at the med school selection lvl.

Reactions: 9 users
I know friends who got into 3 schools (2 prematces and a match) with a 508s. So, I wouldn’t suggest retaking MCAT. Rather improve your essays, application, activities, maybe get one more letter from someone, and submit on time. Unless your GPA below avg, I don’t recommend retake

Ps. They were both Asians

* Native American 513
While having a high MCAT is obviously good, I feel in Texas specifically they’re focused on many other factors as well. As an ORM I had scored < 515, but was fortunate to interview everywhere in the state and I think a large part of it was because of my experiences outside of the classroom. I’m not trying to flex, but my point is I had some friends who scored much higher than me and unfortunately weren’t as successful this cycle. Much of the selection process also encompasses intangibles such as the ability to speak to your interest in medicine, as well as how you performed on interview day. Scores open the door, but don’t get you through it.

Reactions: 2 users
this is a poor way to advise ppl to think about MCAT scores. If your MCAT score is above the 25th percentile, the MCAT is not the sole reason you were rejected from a medical school. Especially in TX, where only 3 schools have distributions with medians near 518/519. The idea that you need to be above average to be competitive for medical school is just a myth and does more harm than good imo.

Second, the stat distributions in TX have been stable for like 3-4 cycles now. These things dont change all that dramatically without some kind of paradigm shift happening at the med school selection lvl.

I completely agree you don't need these kinds of scores to get in, nor am I advising a retake. Like I said in my original post, if I were @thegrind33 I would focus my efforts on other aspects of the app. What I'm saying in the post you quoted is that IF you are planning a retake, this is where you should set your sights. Yes, these numbers are aggressive, but there's no reason everyone should be setting their goals high. If you are aiming for a 511 you're not going to magically score a 520. With proper preparation each of those scores is achievable.

I also wouldn't say the stat distributions have been stable in TX. Just this year when the MSAR was updated all most all the school's medians went up by 2-3 points! I wish I could access old MSAR data, but distinctly recall Baylor going from 515-518, and UTSW jumping from 514-516. Dell and McGovern also jumped up although I can't remember the numbers.

EDIT:
While having a high MCAT is obviously good, I feel in Texas specifically they’re focused on many other factors as well. As an ORM I had scored < 515, but was fortunate to interview everywhere in the state and I think a large part of it was because of my experiences outside of the classroom. I’m not trying to flex, but my point is I had some friends who scored much higher than me and unfortunately weren’t as successful this cycle. Much of the selection process also encompasses intangibles such as the ability to speak to your interest in medicine, as well as how you performed on interview day. Scores open the door, but don’t get you through it.

This is great, but it's also anecdotal. We don't know anything else about your app, so I don't think its the perfect thing to base advice on. It's possible you have a great story, come from a tough background, are a non-trad, first one to graduate college, prestigious undergrad, lots of factors go into this process.

Man, @Lucca we always have these opposing viewpoints. I feel like I tend to overestimate the competitiveness of the cycle while you tend to underestimate it. Our experiences have given us each our own viewpoints haha

I completely agree you don't need these kinds of scores to get in, nor am I advising a retake. Like I said in my original post, if I were @thegrind33 I would focus my efforts on other aspects of the app. What I'm saying in the post you quoted is that IF you are planning a retake, this is where you should set your sights. Yes, these numbers are aggressive, but there's no reason everyone should be setting their goals high. If you are aiming for a 511 you're not going to magically score a 520. With proper preparation each of those scores is achievable.

I also wouldn't say the stat distributions have been stable in TX. Just this year when the MSAR was updated all most all the school's medians went up by 2-3 points! I wish I could access old MSAR data, but distinctly recall Baylor going from 515-518, and UTSW jumping from 514-516. Dell and McGovern also jumped up although I can't remember the numbers.

I discussed these MSAR changes in a thread some time ago. The change in scores is actually more reflective of 2016-2017 cycle being an "anomalous" year as a result of the ongoing change in the MCAT scoring system. The 2016-2017 cycle was the last cycle where there were still a significant number of students applying with the "old" MCAT, so the numbers were a bit deflated for that particular yr due to lack of data. In 2018, distributions returned to where they had been prior to 2016 when the data was reported only in the old scoring scale.

In fact, if you look at Baylor's promotional material from the 2016 cycle, they report an average "new" mcat mean of 514 and "old" mcat mean of 35. The rise to 518 merely reflects a correction as a 518 is approximately 35/36 when you convert to the new scale. In other words, even if you reject the interpretation I've given for the change in scores, what you would see is the opposite of what you suggest: there was a dip, not a consistent increase, in the stat distributions of matriculating students.

I trust if you tried to do this with all of the TX schools you would see a fairly similar pattern.

RE: retake, I suppose we're not in disagreement. My reply would be that I expect everyone to be shooting for a 528 and landing where they land once theyve hit burnout or diminishing returns on mcat prep. If you retake, you certainly need to score at least two points above your old score for it to be statistically meaningful.

EDIT:

This is great, but it's also anecdotal. We don't know anything else about your app, so I don't think its the perfect thing to base advice on. It's possible you have a great story, come from a tough background, are a non-trad, first one to graduate college, prestigious undergrad, lots of factors go into this process.

Man, @Lucca we always have these opposing viewpoints. I feel like I tend to overestimate the competitiveness of the cycle while you tend to underestimate it. Our experiences have given us each our own viewpoints haha
True, my viewpoint is definitely anecdotal, although none of those factors really apply. Also, I didn’t know you were listing those scores in the context of retakes - in that case i agree, it’s definitely advantageous to score significantly higher than your first attempt.

I discussed these MSAR changes in a thread some time ago. The change in scores is actually more reflective of 2016-2017 cycle being an "anomalous" year as a result of the ongoing change in the MCAT scoring system. The 2016-2017 cycle was the last cycle where there were still a significant number of students applying with the "old" MCAT, so the numbers were a bit deflated for that particular yr due to lack of data. In 2018, distributions returned to where they had been prior to 2016 when the data was reported only in the old scoring scale.

In fact, if you look at Baylor's promotional material from the 2016 cycle, they report an average "new" mcat mean of 514 and "old" mcat mean of 35. The rise to 518 merely reflects a correction as a 518 is approximately 35/36 when you convert to the new scale. In other words, even if you reject the interpretation I've given for the change in scores, what you would see is the opposite of what you suggest: there was a dip, not a consistent increase, in the stat distributions of matriculating students.

I trust if you tried to do this with all of the TX schools you would see a fairly similar pattern.

RE: retake, I suppose we're not in disagreement. My reply would be that I expect everyone to be shooting for a 528 and landing where they land once theyve hit burnout or diminishing returns on mcat prep. If you retake, you certainly need to score at least two points above your old score for it to be statistically meaningful.
Yeah, I do recall the post where you explained that. However, I guess all that data is still a few cycles old and so we won't really know anything definitive for a year or two more to see that they stay within +/- 1 or 2 points.

Is there a specific week usually when people see waitlist movement? Or is it more of a slow trickle throughout March and April?

So, I’m currently waitlisted at 5 schools. I’m going to go ahead and start building my app for the next cycle in case I’m not one of the lucky people to get the magical call this spring.

What should I work on these next few months?

Non-trad, URM, IS

cGPA/sGPA: 3.66/3.54

MCAT: 500 and 508

Clinical hours: 2000+ (2 years ED scribing; will continue this job) (most of my interviewers considered this as shadowing)

Research: 250 hours over 2 years with a presentation. Non-clinical though, but science related.

Volunteering: Did lots with premed clubs when I was still in college. Don’t remember the exact hrs tho.

LORs: 2 profs, 1 MD

I interviewed at Lubbock, El Paso, UTHSCSA, UTSW, and UTRGV.
1. do more volunteering - not sure what these clubs were but it's pretty easy to find somewhere to volunteer in an underserved community - even if you don't have too many hours of it before you turn in your app you can always write your projected hours and it's fine as long as it shows you care

2. rewrite your essays - idk your school list so maybe that was the problem but I feel like your app should have drawn more attention. get people you trust to read your essays and make sure you can show some sort of progress you have made since your last app - some schools let you call and ask what you need to improve on - many don't - not sure about the Texas schools

3. do some shadowing. i know being a scribe is basically shadowing but shadow someone preferably not in the ED so you can make it abundantly clear that you know what it entails to be a doc - if you don't know anyone then you could ask someone you worked with through scribing if they know anyone who would let you shadow them in x speciality that you're interested in

Members don't see this ad :)
Image-1-17.png

Keep up your spirits, y'all. Sometimes it's an uphill battle!

Reactions: 10 users
This will be my first Roundup post of this cycle, and it's been pretty slow on the message boards, so I'm going all the way back to Feb 15th for all the news that's fit to print! After this, the Roundups will be just what's been posted since the prior Roundup. This is just for fun and I can only see what people share on SDN, I don't have any insider source ;). I'll say IS or OOS if I know. Disclaimers out of the way, let's see:

Texas Roundup 3/8/2019
2/15 2 TCU/UNTHSC acceptances
1 A&M acceptance
2/18 1 Texas Tech FMAT acceptance
2/19 1 TCU/UNTHSC acceptance
2/21 3 Texas Tech acceptance (1 IS,1 OOS, 1don't know)
2/22 1 TCU/UNTHSC acceptance
1 UTMB Offer IS from WL
2/28 1 Baylor acceptance OOS
3/1 4 Baylor acceptances IS (some decisions to be made between Baylor and their TMDSAS match school)
3/7 1 Long Offer OOS from WL

Spots up for grabs again...
2/19 1 Texas Tech spot relinquished OOS (member still has 2 other TX offers)
2/20 1 UTRGV spot relinquished in favor of an OOS school
2/28 1 UTMB OOS spot relinquished in favor of an OOS school

General trends:
The only TX schools still interviewing are TCU/UNTHSC with their last interview date April 8, and UIWSOM (DO school via AACOMAS)
TCU/UNTHSC is slowly admitting a few and has given some post-interview rejections as well. I think they will wait until they have interviewed everyone to make the bulk of their offers. They are AMCAS and give no preference to IS/OOS
UTSW, UTMB, and Texas Tech are sending out WL notifications.
Baylor is slowly offering acceptances and I expect more soon.

:zip:Share your news on the individual school threads, or PM me if you wish !

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
sub-buzz-10276-1510665252-1.jpg

Give it a rest this week, Buckaroos...

By this I mean don't call and "bug" any admissions offices this week if you're just wanting news on your WL or on-hold application.

This is the week (starting Monday morning March 11 thru March 14) that they will be helping their small number of MS-4's who didn't match to any residency get online and on the phone to find a match among unfilled positions. They will be crazy busy with their current students.

Official match announcement day for those who did match to a residency will happen on March 15 with Match Day festivities at each med school at noon Friday March 15th.

So be kind, use that compassion that I know you have, and understand that they are busy taking care of their MS-4s this week.

Wysdoc

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else feeling a little nervous about this new May 15 date for WL acceptances in TX? I feel like two weeks after decision day is a really short time for the movement to happen and that a lot of admitted folks might lose out on potential acceptances from their #1 in TX.

Anyone else feeling a little nervous about this new May 15 date for WL acceptances in TX? I feel like two weeks after decision day is a really short time for the movement to happen and that a lot of admitted folks might lose out on potential acceptances from their #1 in TX.
I think it might encourage people to make a decision a little sooner.
1. For one thing, "Decision Day" in Texas has already sort of happened when we had our Match Day on February 1. For most TX applicants that narrowed them down to one school and now possibly they are holding an additional AMCAS school like Baylor or an OOS.
2. If you have more than one school right now, for pity's sake, do your pros and cons comparisons and drop any schools you are unlikely to choose in the end. Don't wait until one day before the deadline and then say "OMG, OMG I don't know what to do". That's not how doctors should be making decisions.
3. If y'all who are holding several spots would narrow it down now by dropping some, schools could make some WL offers sooner! Like in April!

Reactions: 4 users
Texas Roundup 3/13/2019
3/8 1 TCOM offer IS from WL
1 UTMB offer from WL
2 TCU/UNTHSC acceptances

Spots up for grabs again:
3/11 1 Baylor spot OOS relinquished in favor of an OOS acceptance

That's all for now, med schools are super busy dealing with un-matched MS-4's this week and then Match Day coming up on 3/15.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a 510 mcat, 3.97 gpa, and a strong ec activites. I am an ORM. Should I apply just in Texas, or should I include oos schools?

I have a 510 mcat, 3.97 gpa, and a strong ec activites. I am an ORM. Should I apply just in Texas, or should I include oos schools?
Just in TX Imo. Add Baylor on AmCAS and maybe a few dream schools if your ECs are truly very strong, but not more than 5 including Baylor imo

Texas Roundup 3/18/2019

3/15 TCU/UNTHSC acceptance. The school's last interview date will be April 8

1 UTSW spot IS relinquished
1 Baylor spot IS relinquished

Most of the week was hellaciously busy due to Residency Match and a malfunctioning ERAS site for those who did not match, adding insult to injury and stress for both sides.
images-24.jpeg

100% stick to TX. If you don't feel strongly about Houston then I probably would skip BCM/AMCAS as well.

Wonder if dell will have movement soon since there is some at Baylor and utsw

Can someone explain the new may 15 date? I hadn’t heard this yet

Can someone explain the new may 15 date? I hadn’t heard this yet

If you hold an acceptance from any of the TMDSAS schools you will be automatically removed from any TMDSAS WL you're on. The date used to be June 1st. It just applies to anyone holding at least one TMDSAS acceptance. Not sure if this extends to Baylor as well? @wysdoc.

If you hold an acceptance from any of the TMDSAS schools you will be automatically removed from any TMDSAS WL you're on. The date used to be June 1st. It just applies to anyone holding at least one TMDSAS acceptance. Not sure if this extends to Baylor as well? @wysdoc.
Well that sucks

Yes

Why? You just need to move along with your decision 2 weeks sooner if you have more than 1 spot. If you have only WL positions the WL could get moving sooner.

Some people have been accepted to a school but are waiting for a waitlist position. They now lost 2 weeks of the slight chance for getting into those schools.

Some people have been accepted to a school but are waiting for a waitlist position. They now lost 2 weeks of the slight chance for getting into those schools.
To be specific: this rule applies to those with other TMDSAS or Baylor acceptances. If what you have now is an OOS acceptance, you may stay on Texas WLs after May 15th.

I had the same feeling. If you already have an acceptance to a TMDSAS school but are hoping to get off the waitlist at another you lose 2 weeks of hope but I guess you also gain 2 weeks of certainty. I'm in that position. Grateful for the 1 acceptance but REALLY hoping to get off the waitlist. The new date should push waitlist movement up which is exciting! Best of luck to you though, I hope you get your first choice! :)

Texas Roundup 3/23/2019
3/22 1 TCU/UNTHSC acceptance

3/19 1 Baylor spot relinquished IS, person will opt for their TMDSAS matched school UTSW.
3/19 1 Dell spot IS relinquished in favor of a Baylor acceptance.

* IS = In State applicant, OOS = Out of State

Back to waitin'. :whistle::whistle::whistle::sleep:

Y'all, USE this waiting time not to dither and be sad, but:
1. If you are on one or more Waitlists, LOOK UP the details about each school compared to others so you can react quickly if made an offer.
2. IF you are holding more than one acceptance, REALIZE that you might need to decide before having 100% of the information you want, like financial aid info. You need to choose 1 school by April 30. Each school has a date by which they want to know if you are committed to enrolling, or not. LOOK UP that date for each of your schools so you will know. For a fuller discussion of this please mosey over and read this thread: New Traffic Rules - Wait List

Last edited:
demotivation.us__Patience-is-bitter-but-its-fruit-is-very-sweet.jpg

Texas Roundup 3/27/2019 "Baylor Bears Edition"
What better excuse to revive this "waiting bear" or "patient bear" meme?
Some of those accepted to Baylor SOM yesterday and the day before interviewed back in September and finally got the news they wanted.

3/25 2 TCOM acceptances from WL
.........4 Baylor acceptances IS

3/26 3 Baylor acceptances IS

- I believe most of these will give up their TMDSAS match for Baylor, but at least one is still deciding between Baylor and UTSW. Some of those accepted are new SDN posters or hadn't shared where their prior match was.

2 McGovern spots IS relinquished
1 UTMB spot IS relinquished
1 UTSW spot IS relinquished in favor of an OOS school
(2 more of those Baylor admits had a McGovern match but haven't declared their choice yet)

four-bears-sept172.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
View attachment 255447

Texas Roundup 3/27/2019 "Baylor Bears Edition"
What better excuse to revive this "waiting bear" or "patient bear" meme?
Some of those accepted to Baylor SOM yesterday and the day before interviewed back in September and finally got the news they wanted.

3/25 1 TCOM acceptance from WL
.........4 Baylor acceptances IS

3/26 3 Baylor acceptances IS

- I believe most of these will give up their TMDSAS match for Baylor, but at least one is still deciding between Baylor and UTSW. Some of those accepted are new SDN posters or hadn't shared where their prior match was.

2 McGovern spots IS relinquished
1 UTMB spot IS relinquished
1 UTSW spot IS relinquished in favor of an OOS school
(2 more of those Baylor admits had a McGovern match but haven't declared their choice yet)

View attachment 255449

Thanks for the scoop

Texas Roundup April 1, 2019

3/27 TCOM 1 acceptance from WL

3/29 TCU/UNTHSC 1 acceptance

TCU/UNTHSC has 2 last interview dates, today and April 8. This is their inaugural 60-student class and they are being very intentional in giving everyone who interviews an equal chance. They have been sending out mostly "hold" messages (meaning "you're still in the running") after each committee meeting and sending out a few acceptances and a few rejections. After their last interview day, they will be taking a look at all the newest interviewees and all the "on holds" to make their final selections.

I know many of you have only WL spots and no admissions so far. I would expect this year's WL action to begin towards the end of April and definitely after May 1, since April 30 is the day that applicants with more than one acceptance have to make their final choice.
New Traffic Rules - Wait List

Reactions: 6 users
Quiet week... I imagine that things will remain slow except for TCU + I believe people are expecting one last wave of Baylor acceptances. Then April 30th will cause some traffic.

Quiet week... I imagine that things will remain slow except for TCU + I believe people are expecting one last wave of Baylor acceptances. Then April 30th will cause some traffic.
I agree. Baylor has been a little behind prior years in their admissions offers, and then we will also have the domino effect of Texans who have a match and then get a Baylor offer needing to choose between the two.:panda::penguin: :beaver::bear: #whyistherenocowboyemoji

Hey guys! If you’ve already been accepted to a TX medical school do the other TX schools that you are on the waitlist for know which school you’ve been accepted to or just that you’ve been accepted somewhere?

Hey guys! If you’ve already been accepted to a TX medical school do the other TX schools that you are on the waitlist for know which school you’ve been accepted to or just that you’ve been accepted somewhere?

This would be a great question to ask TMDSAS.

AMCAS does not provide this detail.

Hey all Texans:

Enrique Jasso, Jr. from TMDSAS is asking for 5 folks to help give constructive comments on the TMDSAS website for application.
Here is his quote from a Facebook page he administers
Want to help us with the new website design?
We're looking for up to 5 applicants from the current cycle who can spare about 30 minutes to discuss your insights on the current TMDSAS website, and do some beta testing of the new TMDSAS website. We'd prefer applicants who plan to apply early so they have the application fresh on their mind when we meet in late May. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to volunteer!

Message me with your email address if you are interested in giving your input (don't put your email on this public post)
Thanks y'all
Wysdoc

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.05c21746f80a

“Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center has agreed to stop using race when considering applicants to its medical school, bowing to pressure as the Trump administration campaigns to curtail the use of affirmative action in education.”

Its disheartening that there are people that don't see the need for affirmative action in education. I really enjoyed Texas Tech during my interview but this decision is extremely disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.