The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its disheartening that there are people that don't see the need for affirmative action in education. I really enjoyed Texas Tech during my interview but this decision is extremely disappointing.
i heard Texas Tech had only 2 African Americans in 2018.

Members don't see this ad.

Its disheartening that there are people that don't see the need for affirmative action in education. I really enjoyed Texas Tech during my interview but this decision is extremely disappointing.

I also really enjoyed my time there. Especially, everyone seemed so happy and student satisfaction is tremendous. I feel bad these allegations come down on Tech of all places...I hope it doesn't hurt them too much. To a certain extent, though, this must happen everywhere...right?

i heard Texas Tech had only 2 African Americans in 2018.

Sadly, I am not surprised. The number of AA students in most (not all) medical school classes is still abysmal despite supposed efforts to increase diversity. Diversity in thought and experiences is important but some diversity in ethnic background should be a priority as well. I could go and on about this topic in medicine but I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, I am not surprised. The number of AA students in most (not all) medical school classes is still abysmal despite supposed efforts to increase diversity. Diversity in thought and experiences is important but some diversity in ethnic background should be a priority as well. I could go and on about this topic in medicine but I'm starting to sound like a broken record.
Since URM applicants are so low it was probably important for them to identify URMs from the application pool and take a closer look at them. Most admission committees have a min GPA/MCAT. If the URM hits it then they could be recommended to the final committee. Without looking at those populations the small % of URM applicants in the big pile of applicants are more likely to go unnoticed now just by pure chance.

Last edited:
Very sensitive topic, but I do not believe that race should impact an admissions decision. But on a more related note to this cycle I hope we see some WL movement somewhere within the next week or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Very sensitive topic, but I do not believe that race should impact an admissions decision. But on a more related note to this cycle I hope we see some WL movement somewhere within the next week or so.

I believe it should be a factor when some groups have not had access to the same opportunities BUT we don't have to go into that here. A very large majority thinks like you and the Texas Tech admissions committee, according to this article, seems to as well.

I share the same sentiment with you in that regard though! Lets get some TX waitlist movement :D

Reactions: 1 users
It's disappointing and I'd hate to see other medical schools follow Tech decision. If they are going to remove affirmative action based on race they should at least be ready to implement one on socioeconomic status as a back up system. Having no system that moderates for disadvantages of upbringings by minorities and people of lower socioeconomic status will just hinder the medical field in the long run. Diversity is important, especially in we want to treat our patients to the best of our abilities.

Reactions: 8 users
This is
It's disappointing and I'd hate to see other medical schools follow Tech decision. If they are going to remove affirmative action based on race they should at least be ready to implement one on socioeconomic status as a back up system. Having no system that moderates for disadvantages of upbringings by minorities and people of lower socioeconomic status will just hinder the medical field in the long run. Diversity is important, especially in we want to treat our patients to the best of our abilities.
This is an announcement that came after a lawsuit that took 14 years to conclude. I don’t know that many details yet but when I do I can post more.
Here is what NPR's report had to say:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
article-2212729-1557AEAC000005DC-930_964x641.jpg

Texas Roundup 4/11/2019

Hey, are we still on the Texas Roundup page? What's with all these bear images? It looks like Colorado or somethin'...
Well, I had to make it another Baylor Bear day, because that's where almost all the action was.

4/10 3 Baylor acceptances OOS
4/10 2 Baylor acceptances IS
4/10 1 UTMB offer OOS, from WL
4/11 1 Baylor acceptance IS

Up for grabs again:
4/10
One IS applicant, who had both Baylor and UTSW acceptances, relinquished the UTSW spot

The Rest? Some of those accepted to Baylor above had prior acceptances at great schools like Duke, UTSW, Northwestern, Case Western, Georgetown. They will have to choose one by April 30, just a few weeks away. If they announce their decision I will put it up here

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, it looks like I'll have to apply this next cycle :(
I am having an mcat retake mid June. Is this going to put me at a tmdsas disadvantage?
I don't know if it would be wise to submit my tmdsas app before the end of June without having a new mcat. I feel schools will look at the old one and throw my app into the trash

I am having an mcat retake mid June. Is this going to put me at a tmdsas disadvantage?
I don't know if it would be wise to submit my tmdsas app before the end of June without having a new mcat. I feel schools will look at the old one and throw my app into the trash

Yeah, I would either try to go for earlier MCAT or wait to apply the following cycle. Late June means Late July score --which is super late for TMDSAS.

To comment on the latter part of your message, I asked this question at a reapplicant workshop, and they said if you list on your application that you have a pending MCAT date, then they won't mark your application as complete or look at your application until your new MCAT score comes in. So, you don't need to worry about them looking at your app before your new score comes in. I can't speak as much to the timeline of when to take your MCAT, although as far as I've heard, it's better to take a later MCAT if taking it earlier will result in a significantly lower score. Just some food for thought. Best of luck!!

I think June MCAT which will be scored by mid July is fine, be sure you have the rest of your app nailed down including your letters.

Members don't see this ad :)

Texas Roundup 4/13/2019
Y'all are too shy. Share your news!

4/10 1 Baylor acceptance IS, deciding between this and their TMDSAS match
4/13 1 TCU/UNTHSC acceptance. All interviews are done and the committee is selecting their very first class of 60

Up for Grabs again:
4/11
1 seat relinquished at Long (IS)
4/12 1 seat relinquished at Long (OOS)

Reactions: 3 users
57168375_2364685466957477_8563575007609880576_n.jpg

There's nothing going on, y'all.
I have to amuse myself somehow, so here's Peter Cottontail riding on a Longhorn.

4/14 1 seat relinquished at Baylor, I think it was by an OOS person.

Carry on
Share your dang news when you get it

Wysdoc, bored and cranky

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
With such little movement being posted it might mean that the offers are all going to non sdners

With such little movement being posted it might mean that the offers are all going to non sdners

I’m hoping the schools are waiting until after May 1st before sending WL offers. If what you said is true that means less WL offers for those of us without an acceptance .

Nice post number btw

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like that isn't likely...
Plus according to Dr. K at Long and someone from the admissions office at McGovern as of the beginning of April there hadn't been any movement yet and if there hasn't been any movement at those schools then I don't think there has been much at others either.

Plus according to Dr. K at Long and someone from the admissions office at McGovern as of the beginning of April there hadn't been any movement yet and if there hasn't been any movement at those schools then I don't think there has been much at others either.

When did Dr. K say that?

I’m hoping the schools are waiting until after May 1st before sending WL offers. If what you said is true that means less WL offers for those of us without an acceptance .

Nice post number btw
well I sure hope I'm wrong and we see some love soon, but right now I'm in the reapply mode

About 2 weeks ago. It was during one of those weekly Webinars she does.

Oh, okay. For a minute I thought I didn’t receive one of her emails! I forgot to sign up for that webinar. Hope it doesn’t affect my chances of getting accepted off their waitlist!

Me too. I’m working on my app as we speak!

Darn! I'm in the same position, but I've been really rooting for you this cycle. I hope you get in somewhere soon, you've been one of my favorite faces to see around SDN!

Darn! I'm in the same position, but I've been really rooting for you this cycle. I hope you get in somewhere soon, you've been one of my favorite faces to see around SDN!

I appreciate the good vibes! I hope we both find success soon!

Did you personally get into contact with someone from Mcgovern admissions to get this information or is this word of mouth?

About 2 weeks ago. It was during one of those weekly Webinars she does.

Do you know how I can sign up for those webinars? I remember seeing something about them in an e-mail, but I can’t find anything in my inbox. I believe it even said Dr. K would personally call you to discuss your application in terms of re-applying.

Maybe I’m thinking of something else...

Do you know how I can sign up for those webinars? I remember seeing something about them in an e-mail, but I can’t find anything in my inbox. I believe it even said Dr. K would personally call you to discuss your application in terms of re-applying.

I signed up for the reapplicant webinar on the school website and since then I've been getting weekly emails to attend several different webinars they have held. If you message me I can give you the email address of the guy who has been sending me those emails!

I signed up for the reapplicant webinar on the school website and since then I've been getting weekly emails to attend several different webinars they have held. If you message me I can give you the email address of the guy who has been sending me those emails!

Says unable to start a conversation. SDN is weird when it comes to private messages.

Texas Roundup 4/21/2019

4/18 1 Baylor spot relinquished (IS)
in favor of keeping their UTSW match

That's it for today, cowboys. Be thinkin' and decidin', if you are still holding on to more than one acceptance.
No matter how many favorite hats you own, you can only wear one at a time. Narrow it down by April 30 and inform your schools of your yea or nay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have an idea if Dell's class size will grow from just 50 any time in the near future?

Found this on reddit about what to expect April 30th, I hope this helps anyone who is just as anxious as I am!

Texas Roundup 4/22/2019

Finally seeing a little action!

4/22/2019 3 Baylor acceptances IS

Up for Grabs again:
2 McGovern seats relinquished
1 person deciding between Baylor and prior UTSW match

Last edited:

Found this on reddit about what to expect April 30th, I hope this helps anyone who is just as anxious as I am!

I was wondering how this would play out for people with one TMDSAS offer and no other acceptances. I have one match, one waitlist, and am still waiting to hear from Baylor. So, on April 30th I don't have to do anything but I can hear from the other school after. But what is this other "May 15th" date I keep hearing for Texas Medical Schools?

I was wondering how this would play out for people with one TMDSAS offer and no other acceptances. I have one match, one waitlist, and am still waiting to hear from Baylor. So, on April 30th I don't have to do anything but I can hear from the other school after. But what is this other "May 15th" date I keep hearing for Texas Medical Schools?
After May 15th, you can not recieve offers from any texas schools off the waitlist if you already have one acceptance from a texas school.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you still hoping for UTSW or have you committed to joining the better city of Houston? ;) haha
Lol my family keeps saying maybe I'm just meant to be a houstonian... It would definitely be a hard decision if I ended up getting UTSW. I'm pretty excited about Baylor though. Didn't even think it was going to be an option for me so it was quite the surprise!

Is it me or does the waitlist movement seem more stagnant than in the previous years,

Reactions: 4 users
Is it me or does the waitlist movement seem more stagnant than in the previous years,
I think schools are waiting until April 30th to start moving people from the waitlist. They will have a better understanding of who is committed to their school and will spend less resources moving people

Go on Long SOM Facebook page and join “Club Premed”. You will get emails, tips, invites to webinars, etc.

Texas Roundup 4/25/2019

A special Texas Roundup congratulations to a very kind and patient SDNer who had 6 interviews this year but only WLs until now.
Your determination has earned you an admission!

4/24/2019 1 Texas A&M admission from the Wait List

Up for Grabs soon:

We have 1 previously unreported applicant deciding between Baylor and UTSW

images-41.jpeg
655x789_p23588-Z-03282018050530((664x800)).jpg

Reactions: 10 users
@wysdoc do TMDSAS schools as "commit to enroll" deadlines? Or is that just for AMCAs schools

@wysdoc do TMDSAS schools as "commit to enroll" deadlines? Or is that just for AMCAs schools
While they don't have an online "commit to enroll" and "plan to enroll" button like AMCAS, TMDSAS asks that you decide on just one school by April 30.
Edited to add: Let's say you have 2 acceptances right now and 2 WLs. By April 30 choose your top one and withdraw from the other acceptance. You may remain on the WLs. If they are Texas WL spots, your window to get in from the WL is only May 1 to May 15, because after May 15, Texas WL spots can only go to Texans with no prior Admits or to those rascally OOS applicants.

From their page:
With the exception of offers received during the pre-match period, only the most unusual of circumstances justify an applicant’s holding a place in the entering class of more than one US school for more than two weeks since this may adversely affect other applicants. The schools; therefore, reserve the right to withdraw offers of acceptance to individuals who hold places for longer periods without specific authorization from the schools involved. Applicants may withdraw active applications from any school any time during the application period.
Applicants may hold multiple offers of acceptance from the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By April 30 of the matriculation year, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school should choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.
After 5:00 pm CT on May 15, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M University College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Last edited:
Texas Roundup 4/26/2019

4/25/2019 1 UTMB admission from WL
1 Baylor acceptance IS (reported a few days after)

Up for Grabs again:
1 UTSW spot relinquished IS
1 Paul Foster SOM spot relinquished IS

:headphone::headphone: :whistle::whistle::corny::corny: Waitin' for more news and decisions :p

Status
Not open for further replies.