The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishing you all great news in the very near future! I'll be over here studying for a 5-chapter physics exam. A few years behind you all in terms of app cycle, but excited for you guys as if this is my year as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck my Texas peeps!! You have all come very far and everything will be worth it in 1hour and 10mins. Although I won’t be hearing tonight due to the lateness of my interviews, I hope everyone else will! Remember that as long as you get one pre match, you know you’ll be a doctor. Like one doctor told me in my interview, “You keep your head up no matter what happens, all that hard work will pay off!” Good luck once again!!

Reactions: 4 users
I believe Dean Johnston calls people personally for Dell pre match! Don’t know about UTRGV or Lubbock!

Yea, I was wondering if they sent an email as well before hand. Also, does anyone know about Texas tech El Paso?

Yea, I was wondering if they sent an email as well before hand. Also, does anyone know about Texas tech El Paso?

I believe EP did morning thru afternoon last year and Lubbock sent them around 9-10pm.

Reactions: 1 user
o_O *crickets chirping* o_O

EDIT: Pre-matched to McGovern! Congrats to everyone else who pre-matched as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
does anybody know when potential merit scholarship information with prematch offers (for instate applicants) becomes available?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know when potential merit scholarship information with prematch offers (for instate applicants) becomes available?

A friend of mine said his scholarship offer came a few months after his acceptance.

Congrats to everyone who is prematching today!

I know someone who got a scholarship with their prematch offer this year

Crossing my fingers one of the techs prematch me later today. Checked email and both portals

Ok it looks like I mistook the Nov 15th date for when Texas med schools start sending their interviews to most applicants rather than their pre match offers. Anyone got any recent II? Haven't heard anything since I finish everything late August and getting a bit antsy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ok it looks like I mistook the Nov 15th date for when Texas med schools start sending their interviews to most applicants rather than their pre match offers. Anyone got any recent II? Haven't heard anything since I finish everything late August and getting a bit antsy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Same here bud. It is what it is. Just gotta swallow the pill and hope for the best. Everything’s been done since August as well and nothing since

Exciting day! Congratulations to all of the folks who pre-matched! Those that didn't, keep your head up because I'm still cheering for you! :D

Great to see y'all getting some good news today and being kind to each other too!

We have seen some pre-match offers from all the TX TMDSAS schools today except Dell and UTRGV.
Remember Dell makes its offers by phone, so keep an eye out for that sweet 512 area code.
UTRGV marches to its own beat, LOL, so your guess is as good as mine about when they may make pre-match offers.
Our final TX school, Baylor, is AMCAS, so not part of the TMDSAS match system. Baylor may offer some spots next week I would say.

Man, it really sucks being on the other end with no love from any schools. But for anyone reading this or lurking on this thread, just wanted to let you know that we are not alone. Yes, all of our friends are getting in right in front of our eyes, but just remember we're all still good candidates. Plus, theres still like 200ish days left to get in somewhere!

Reactions: 8 users
Quick question, if we accept the offer that’s not binding yet right? We are just accepting the prematch at this stage? I know a few asked for a deposit so I wanted to make sure it wasn’t binding

hi @wysdoc , for the schools that require deposits, do those have to be paid in order to accept the pre-match offer?

You may also receive a Dell call from a California area code, the dean is from there and has made calls via his personal cell in the past.

I didn't apply to all the Texas schools but still the only II I received was from McGovern. Unfortunately I didntd prematch. Should I start studying for the MCAT again. Otherwise I'm not sure what else I could do to boost my app for next year

I didn't apply to all the Texas schools but still the only II I received was from McGovern. Unfortunately I didntd prematch. Should I start studying for the MCAT again. Otherwise I'm not sure what else I could do to boost my app for next year

You should always be working to improve your application until you have that acceptance in hand. With that said, prematch= great!! no prematch = doesn’t mean a daggum thing, yet.

Today is just the first day of a looooong period. Heck, even RGV hasn’t sent out any prematches. Just because you didn’t get a prematch offer today literally means nothing other than you didn’t get an offer today.

You can still match on 2/1, even if you don’t prematch!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How does one go to cancel an interview? Do we just call/email the school and do we have to call TMDSAS as well?

I just emailed the admissions committee. I responded to the II email actually. no need to contact TMDSAS about anything

Y_3659.jpg

Hey, y'all. Remember if you are out standing in your field, you will be noticed.
And if you are also outstanding in your field, you may be selected in the prematch window to a Texas med school.

Today Baylor began making some prematch offers by phone call, rounding out our 9 TMDSAS MD schools. TCOM has made pre-match offers via TMDSAS, and UIWSOM (AACOMAS app) has made rolling offers of admission.

Remember you can't batch-work phone calls like you can emails, so the Baylor calls will be trickling out over time.

General pre-match stuff:
1. Accept your pre-matches by whatever means the school provides.
2. Pay a deposit if they ask, by their deadline.
3. If you have several pre-matches and are sure that some are low on your preference rank list, it's OK to decline some of them. Think hard and be sure. Leave yourself at least one!
4. Accepting a pre-match offer is non-binding. You can accept more than one. I know you feel like you are cheating on this, since we have pounded into your head to be 100% truthful on everything, but it's really OK. Most people need a little more time to think everything over.
5. There will be more pre-match offers between now and Dec 31, but don't ask me when. I don't know. Schools often send out a few after they have a full admissions committee meeting to go over newly interviewed applicants
6. Schools are still interviewing and even still inviting. Hang in there.

The day by which you must turn in your rank list via TMDSAS is Friday Jan 18th before 5pm Central Time Zone. Rank all schools where you have interviewed.

Last edited:
You should give us more information... GPA, extra curriculars, MCAT scores. You have a 50/50 shot but you should boost those ECs at the very least. Don't reuse the same essays either.

Can prematch offers go out at any point during the prematch period or do they generally come out in batches, so there's no point in obsessively checking my mail every morning? I had 5 IIs before November 15th and prematched to UTMB right around midnight, which obviously makes me really happy and grateful, but the silence from all the others is stressful. I interviewed at UTSW, Baylor, Long, Dell, and UTMB.

Can prematch offers go out at any point during the prematch period or do they generally come out in batches, so there's no point in obsessively checking my mail every morning? I had 5 IIs before November 15th and prematched to UTMB right around midnight, which obviously makes me really happy and grateful, but the silence from all the others is stressful. I interviewed at UTSW, Baylor, Long, Dell, and UTMB.
Pre-match offers can come at any time between November 15th and December 31st. We usually just see the “batches” on SDN because that is when people are more likely to post that they got an offer. Kudos on all your interviews - that’s awesome! Try not to think about it all too much and I’m sure you’ll hear some more good news soon :)

All you need is one and you got that one. Many congrats for sure. Anything prior to match day is going to be icing on the cake for you. To go off of the_machine, prematches generally come in batches. For a lot of the schools it appears to be every 2 weeks or so. There are people who hold many prematches and as they decline schools they know they don’t want to go to, those slots will open up. I know a few schools give a hard 2 week window to accept prematch offers. After which point you will be automatically withdrawn and a spot opens up for someone else.

TLDR: Don’t stress, we’re only on day 5 of 46. I.e. plenty of time for you to get more love.

Happy Thanksgiving y’all! Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday break!

Do all Texas schools require fall transcript updates? If so, do we send those to schools or through TMDSAS? Also, what about Baylor, do they require transcript updates for fall? (I’m referring to schools post interview)

Do all Texas schools require fall transcript updates? If so, do we send those to schools or through TMDSAS? Also, what about Baylor, do they require transcript updates for fall? (I’m referring to schools post interview)
For the TMDSAS schools, send your fall transcript to TMDSAS and they will distribute it to your schools. Baylor you might have to search their FAQ page, I am not sure if they want it now or only from matriculants.

Does anyone have any insight on the campus assignment process for TTUHSC Lubbock? How many students get sent to each location (Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa)? What are the pros/cons of each location? Anything would be helpful!

Does anyone have any insight on the campus assignment process for TTUHSC Lubbock? How many students get sent to each location (Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa)? What are the pros/cons of each location? Anything would be helpful!
I remember being told that the majority of students go to Lubbock, but I don't remember the exact number on that. One of the MS4s told us Amarillo is actually great for people that want to do surgery since there isn't many residents there and there's a lot of opportunity to assist on surgeries as a result.

You should give us more information... GPA, extra curriculars, MCAT scores. You have a 50/50 shot but you should boost those ECs at the very least. Don't reuse the same essays either.
GPA for TMDSAS calculations is a 3.78, MCAT: 512. ECs include volunteering at a hospital since high school through college, starting a club at my school, being on the board of another club. I'm a bit lacking in non clinical volunteering, done a little of food bank, habitat for humanity, Harvey volunteering. 1 1/2 years of undergrad research. 200+ hrs shadowing. I'm continuing to volunteer at the same hospital on the weekends right now in addition to working full-time in a lab.

GPA for TMDSAS calculations is a 3.78, MCAT: 512. ECs include volunteering at a hospital since high school through college, starting a club at my school, being on the board of another club. I'm a bit lacking in non clinical volunteering, done a little of food bank, habitat for humanity, Harvey volunteering. 1 1/2 years of undergrad research. 200+ hrs shadowing. I'm continuing to volunteer at the same hospital on the weekends right now in addition to working full-time in a lab.
May I ask why you didn't apply to all Texas schools? Would you rather not become an MD than attend one of them?

May I ask why you didn't apply to all Texas schools? Would you rather not become an MD than attend one of them?
Yes there are some schools I would rather not go to because I simply wouldn't want to live in those places for four years. Regardless if med school is med school I would rather not slog away 4 years of my life in a place where I am unhappy. Otherwise I feel like I could have a productive gap year and apply next year while retaking the MCAT to shoot for some of the schools that I didn't feel like it was worth applying to based on my lowish MCAT

Does anybody know if the texas schools are receptive to matching a merit scholarship from another texas med school?

Does anybody know if the texas schools are receptive to matching a merit scholarship from another texas med school?
Are Texas schools already sending scholarship offers?

Are Texas schools already sending scholarship offers?
Depends on the school. Some send merit scholarships with their pre-match offers (such as Tech, UTSW), while others wait until after match day (McGovern, UTMB).

Status
Not open for further replies.