The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if the texas schools are receptive to matching a merit scholarship from another texas med school?
If you're already accepted. Very little you can do to rescind the acceptance, so it doesn't hurt to ask the school.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

cute-baby-horse-and-mom-400x406.png

Hey y'all :zip:

Soon those of you still in college will be wrapping up those final exams and returning home to give your mom a big hug.

Our families love us, but sometimes at the holidays the conversation seems more like an interrogation! :poke:
Especially when the relatives we seldom see continue on and on with the questions, and that great unsolicited advice. :rolleyes:

It is perfectly fine to make an announcement to all that when you know some good news, you will proudly share it. Most don't understand the very very long process and especially in Texas, don't understand our match. "What do you mean you got in but you're not sure yet where?"

Know that they mean well. Except for the ones who ARE mean, & who cares about them? ;)

Deck the halls and change the subject, y'all! You deserve a break!

Wysdoc

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewing at my top choice this morning! So excited I can’t sleep, haha! Took some melatonin so that should kick in soon! Hoping to get a prematch from here! Would literally be the best holiday gift ever.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found out today that my husband (current 2nd year medical student) will be doing all of his rotations next year in the city where my top choice med school is located... Every fiber of my being wants to tell that school that I'm already going to be living in that city, so they might as well accept me. That's how this works, right? :p

Reactions: 1 user
I found out today that my husband (current 2nd year medical student) will be doing all of his rotations next year in the city where my top choice med school is located... Every fiber of my being wants to tell that school that I'm already going to be living in that city, so they might as well accept me. That's how this works, right? :p

I actually think this is the kind of thing that warrants a letter of interest/intent. Have you been interviewed by them/stats match up?

Reactions: 2 users
I actually think this is the kind of thing that warrants a letter of interest/intent. Have you been interviewed by them/stats match up?

Yes, I have interviewed there and my stats are well within their matriculating range. My only concern about contacting the school is that they have this (see photo) posted on their secondary app portal. I don’t want to annoy them if this is the exact type of thing they’re trying to avoid. Thoughts? @wysdoc, I'd love your input as well!

Attachments

• 84E50AEC-B382-424D-AD31-EB46E7195507.jpeg
    84E50AEC-B382-424D-AD31-EB46E7195507.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
If they say specifically no letters of interest I’d probably not do it, though your case is special and I hope it works out either way

Yes, I have interviewed there and my stats are well within their matriculating range. My only concern about contacting the school is that they have this (see photo) posted on their secondary app portal. I don’t want to annoy them if this is the exact type of thing they’re trying to avoid. Thoughts? @wysdoc, I'd love your input as well!

Yeah that’s a toughie. I wonder if it’s just for pre-interview. Some schools post that as well but then allow interviewed applicants to submit LOI’s. Did they mention anything during your interview about letters? Since I’m just giving unsolicited advice - I don’t see the harm in calling and speaking to an admissions counselor and explaining your situation to see what they thought? Rarely do you ever have to give identifying information during these calls. I’ve personally called that school you’re referencing and nothing but nice. But also if wysdoc says otherwise totally disregard me, haha.

Yeah that’s a toughie. I wonder if it’s just for pre-interview. Some schools post that as well but then allow interviewed applicants to submit LOI’s. Did they mention anything during your interview about letters? Since I’m just giving unsolicited advice - I don’t see the harm in calling and speaking to an admissions counselor and explaining your situation to see what they thought? Rarely do you ever have to give identifying information during these calls. I’ve personally called that school you’re referencing and nothing but nice. But also if wysdoc says otherwise totally disregard me, haha.

The advice was definitely solicited, so I really appreciate it. :) Calling sounds like a good idea that I would consider. I don’t remember them mentioning anything specifically about updates at my interview day, so maybe others have the same question and I could ask on the school-specific page. Let’s see what wysdoc says, and perhaps I’ll try calling next week! Thanks for the insight. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks this is potentially a worthwhile update.

The advice was definitely solicited, so I really appreciate it. :) Calling sounds like a good idea that I would consider. I don’t remember them mentioning anything specifically about updates at my interview day, so maybe others have the same question and I could ask on the school-specific page. Let’s see what wysdoc says, and perhaps I’ll try calling next week! Thanks for the insight. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks this is potentially a worthwhile update.
@southpaw3 I will PM you

1. Long Som -loved the vibes I got from the students and faculty
2. Dell - amazing step scores, but preclinical year seems too rushed with very little free time.
3. Paul L. Foster - great curriculum, El paso seemed like a pretty decent city to live in.
4. A&M - didn't like the location and the fact that the class splits up.

Still deciding between the first two..

Reactions: 4 users
I'm having a hard time deciding on final rank as well.

TCOM - Love the school, don't have to sell my house because it's a 20 min commute (and I absolutely adore my neighborhood, school system, and ofc my home). Cons. D.O. bias is still very real and one big takeaway I got from the interview cycle is that age bias is still very real as well, and I'm thinking I don't need any extra bias against me going into the residency match in my late 40's

Texas Tech (LBK) - I liked the school 2nd most of all the schools I interviewed at. Both students and faculty were awesome and my interviewer, who was very senior faculty, gave me the impression that the school is both relaxed, while at the same time very forward thinking in its education (cutting edge nutrition science in particular, which is very important to me). Prematched here, so I feel like this school saw high value in me as an applicant. Cons: It's Lubbock and we don't have any family nearby. Wife is not very excited about Lubbock but I do have a prematch here so there is a good chance this will be the school I attend.

UTMB - Well, it's Galveston, which I love. The facilities and students were awesome. I feel like my personal sense of well being would be best at UTMB. Cons: housing on the Island is not great if you are looking to buy. More importantly, my interviewers were truly awful (both of which were faculty) and if they are representative of the rest of the faculty, I will not be very enthused with my professors. Both of them berated me about my age and decision to attend medical school. Honestly, UTMB is probably not even a consideration because I doubt I would match here after those interviews, but I'm still considering ranking them 1st.

A&M - It's A&M, which carries the lifetime benefit of being an Aggie (I know that sounds corny, but it is something that I think has both tangible and intrinsic value). I also wouldn't need to sell my house, as I could just rent a house in BCS for a year and then come back to DFW, which saves me about $40K in real estate fees. Cons: I don't like the accelerated pre-clinical curriculum and tbh, the students at A&M seemed pretty burnt out from the process (which is not the impression I got from TTU or UTMB). I feel like my 1st year of med school would be the worst if I end up at A&M, but then will get significantly better for years 2/3/4. Also, this would offer me some of the best clinical rotations by being at Baylor in Dallas.

PLFSOM - I really liked PLFSOM, particularly because the students seem very nice and I really like the dedicated medical education setup they have. Great facilities as well. Cons: It's El Paso and it's a newer school, though I'm not sure how much people consider graduates of PLFSOM members of the TTU family. I didn't like PLFSOM as much as TTU-LBK though, so I don't see ranking them over my prematch.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what most people's scholarships are like? I'm kind of trying to figure out how much an offer should play into my ranking!

1. UTMB - most relaxed vibe plus true P/F, and close to home
2. Baylor - also true p/f and relaxed vibe but not as relaxed and didn’t feel the same fit I felt at utmb.
3. UTSW - very good school and I was impressed, just far from home and I don’t like how all the students talked about the “prestige and the name” not my thing
4. Dell - rushed preclinical and little vacation, I need my time off to see family
5. UTRGV>Lubbock>a&m>el paso

Reactions: 1 users
I’ll throw my hat into the ring too

1) Long- I feel like I fit here extremely well and the best out of all the schools I interviewed at. Thought the opportunities at this school were plentiful and the faculty seemed really involved. The students seemed social and there was a strong sense of community. San Antonio and the stmc isn’t houston or the tmc, but it will provide everything I need and more as a med student

2) McGovern- the tmc is amazing, but as a medical student I really don’t know if I will benefit from everything it has to offer (ie will it help me land my specialty I want, probably not). Felt like I was a good fit for this school. Students seemed very similar to long if not the same. Impressed with the curriculum and how half is p/f and the other is graded (I believe that there needs to be a way to distinguish med students even in preclinical grading). Would be happy to go here

3) TAMU- was really impressed on interview day, they provided a real sense of an individualistic approach to each student. The different tracks were a little weird but the admin said almost all (95%ish) students either get their first or second choice, and being in Dallas or Houston (my two tops) would be great for the clinical years

4)Utmb- like the p/f and research seemed abundant. I’m still skeptical about the step average and also think the step test comes down to the student. Did not like Galveston at all. The clinical site to rotate at Houston is based off of a lottery and very few students get it (directly from a faculty member). Having to travel to league city for rotations does not sound fun and the possibility of having to go to Tyler is not appealing either. There really wasn’t a strong sense of community. I know a student who goes there and they tell me that no one really does anything (go to class etc) and that they just study the step material for their nbme exams. This is just n=1 though. It seems like a great school though and I like how the faculty supports you in whatever you want to specialize.

5) Tech- really was not impressed by this school, and do not feel like I meshed well on interview day.

Hey friends! Just checking but, with match preference day coming up, Texas IIs are done for this cycle right? I pretty much assumed so, but was also lowkey hoping they weren't...

Hey friends! Just checking but, with match preference day coming up, Texas IIs are done for this cycle right? I pretty much assumed so, but was also lowkey hoping they weren't...

I know UTSW and UTRGV have interviews next month, so there’s a chance they can send an invite if someone cancels their interview for some reason.

I have an interview coming up the second week of January at McGovern, but I think that may be the last date.

So I prematched to a Texas school and submitted fafsa back in November also. Just received financial aid package of loans and it’s requiring acceptance of loans within 2 weeks of email. I am still waiting on a decision from an amcas school though. So my question is if I accept the financial aid loans through Texas school and get accepted later to the other school, will this effect getting financial aid loans through fafsa at the amcas school?

So I prematched to a Texas school and submitted fafsa back in November also. Just received financial aid package of loans and it’s requiring acceptance of loans within 2 weeks of email. I am still waiting on a decision from an amcas school though. So my question is if I accept the financial aid loans through Texas school and get accepted later to the other school, will this effect getting financial aid loans through fafsa at the amcas school?
Accepting it now by just clicking a box or sending an email to your school is fine to do. It is not the same as signing an official loan contract, which you would do later when you have made a final choice. If you end up matriculating at a different school, you will get back to school #1 and relinquish the aid.
So, don’t miss the deadline to make a preliminary acceptance of aid.
Each school makes its own award decisions so your AMCAS school, while it will see your same FAFSA data, may or may not offer you grant $$ but the loans will be based on FAFSA and cost of attendance.
@HomeSkool am I stating it right here?

Last edited:
Accepting it now by just clicking a box or sending an email to your school is fine to do. It is not the same as signing an official loan contract, which you would do later when you have made a final choice. If you end up matriculating at a different school, you will get back to school #1 and relinquish the aid.
So, don’t miss the deadline to make a preliminary acceptance of aid.
Each school makes its own award decisions so your AMCAS school, while it will see your same FAFSA data, may or may not offer you grant $$ but the loans will be based on FAFSA and cost of attendance.
@HomeSkool am I stating it right here?
Sorry I missed this message earlier. Yes, you're correct. It's worth noting that each school determines and reports its own cost of attendance, so that's a source of variability in the availability of federal loan money.

Would love to see some more match lists and reasoning! I'm struggling between El Paso and A&M

I have since decided to take A&M out of contention and am now torn between UTMB and TTUHSC for my #1 slot. After spending a few days on vacation in Lubbock I really grew to like the area more, but my wife still likes the idea of moving to Galveston over Lubbock. I like the schools equally at this point but I'm leaning toward ranking UTMB 1st since my wife has a preference for living there.

I have since decided to take A&M out of contention and am now torn between UTMB and TTUHSC for my #1 slot. After spending a few days on vacation in Lubbock I really grew to like the area more, but my wife still likes the idea of moving to Galveston over Lubbock. I like the schools equally at this point but I'm leaning toward ranking UTMB 1st since my wife has a preference for living there.

Copying and pasting my comment from the Long thread.

“I didn’t interview at UTMB so can’t really speak at all about their curriculum, but I visit Galveston often since my gf lives there and I can confidently say that I would never wish to live there. Most areas are old and run down and it floods just as bad as Houston from what she told me. Housing is pretty expensive since you’re basically paying an island premium. A small 3 bedroom house, and I’m talking small rooms and with little to no yard, was going for over $200k. She’s currently paying $1100 for a small studio in an older complex. I initially wanted to go to UTMB after touring there twice during undergrad, but after getting to know the island more I’m not too bothered about not being invited.

I’m sure someone on here will tell you I’m wrong about the island, but this is from 1+ years of visiting it multiple times a month.”

I know we only have 10 days left to rank our schools, but I suggest visiting Galveston again if you can. Or maybe read up on it more. I interviewed at Lubbock and enjoyed my short time there. I know a lot of ppl don’t find its location attractive, but I personally found it more attractive than Galveston.

Copying and pasting my comment from the Long thread.

“I didn’t interview at UTMB so can’t really speak at all about their curriculum, but I visit Galveston often since my gf lives there and I can confidently say that I would never wish to live there. Most areas are old and run down and it floods just as bad as Houston from what she told me. Housing is pretty expensive since you’re basically paying an island premium. A small 3 bedroom house, and I’m talking small rooms and with little to no yard, was going for over $200k. She’s currently paying $1100 for a small studio in an older complex. I initially wanted to go to UTMB after touring there twice during undergrad, but after getting to know the island more I’m not too bothered about not being invited.

I’m sure someone on here will tell you I’m wrong about the island, but this is from 1+ years of visiting it multiple times a month.”

I know we only have 10 days left to rank our schools, but I suggest visiting Galveston again if you can. Or maybe read up on it more. I interviewed at Lubbock and enjoyed my short time there. I know a lot of ppl don’t find its location attractive, but I personally found it more attractive than Galveston.

Thanks, yeah, I know the properties on the island are at a premium. We likely would live off the island, and have looked at homes in surrounding areas such as League City, though thankfully we are in a good financial position so if I found a house I really liked on the Island I would just buy it :D We have actually been visiting Galveston at least once or twice a year for the last decade, so I feel quite familiar with the area and the culture. I really liked the NBME focused curriculum and the true P/F at UTMB, which is my primary driving factor in ranking it on par with TTUHSC. If TTUHSC had the exact same curriculum, then it would be easy to choose it over UTMB.

I personally like Lubbock but I still sense some real hesitation on my wife's part about the city. I know either school will be great and TBH I feel my chances of matching to UTMB are very low because my interviews were awful. Conversely, I'm holding a prematch to Tech, so the real question is ranking Tech 1st and ending up there or ranking them 2nd and ending up there anyway, lol.

Thanks, yeah, I know the properties on the island are at a premium. We likely would live off the island, and have looked at homes in surrounding areas such as League City, though thankfully we are in a good financial position so if I found a house I really liked on the Island I would just buy it :D We have actually been visiting Galveston at least once or twice a year for the last decade, so I feel quite familiar with the area and the culture. I really liked the NBME focused curriculum and the true P/F at UTMB, which is my primary driving factor in ranking it on par with TTUHSC. If TTUHSC had the exact same curriculum, then it would be easy to choose it over UTMB.

I personally like Lubbock but I still sense some real hesitation on my wife's part about the city. I know either school will be great and TBH I feel my chances of matching to UTMB are very low because my interviews were awful. Conversely, I'm holding a prematch to Tech, so the real question is ranking Tech 1st and ending up there or ranking them 2nd and ending up there anyway, lol.

From what you say, it sounds like you should rank UTMB over Tech. You might end up in Lubbock anyway, but I think if you would BOTH be happy in Galveston and you like UTMB as a school then that's the better option. My perspective as someone who is not yet married but has a long-term partner who I live with: they are making a lot of sacrifices by supporting me on this career path, the least I can do is consider their feelings and preferences when we have to uproot ourselves every so often. I'm sure you feel the same way, just saying cuz many on these boards are like "all docs get divorced anyway, just do what you want" lol.

@esob PM me if you want to talk island real estate

From what you say, it sounds like you should rank UTMB over Tech. You might end up in Lubbock anyway, but I think if you would BOTH be happy in Galveston and you like UTMB as a school then that's the better option. My perspective as someone who is not yet married but has a long-term partner who I live with: they are making a lot of sacrifices by supporting me on this career path, the least I can do is consider their feelings and preferences when we have to uproot ourselves every so often. I'm sure you feel the same way, just saying cuz many on these boards are like "all docs get divorced anyway, just do what you want" lol.

Yep, I think med school will be much easier with a happy wife. Galveston also puts us significantly closer to family, which I think is a big part of the allure. There will be both disappointment and excitement on match day for me either way because there are unique facets to both schools that are not present at the other (having medical students on the adcom at TTUHSC is a good example).

@esob PM me if you want to talk island real estate

You might just get a PM on Feb 1st :D

Which schools have a “college” system that splits the class into groups? I know PLFSOM and UTSW have a system like that.

Which schools have a “college” system that splits the class into groups? I know PLFSOM and UTSW have a system like that.
A&M does too. Called societies, but we usually just use them for olympics and Jeapordy. You end up becoming close to your campus group too though.

I’m torn between ranking Long or UTMB first in my match list. Anyone have any advice about these two schools?

I’m torn between ranking Long or UTMB first in my match list. Anyone have any advice about these two schools?
For me, that choice would come down to living in SA versus living in Galveston. I think both schools have about equal opportunities, so for me it seems that location should be the primary factor when ranking these two.

Joined SDN to give my impressions of the Texas Schools + My Match List

1) UTSW
Pros: Best match list, best research, best reputation, Dallas, more independent preclinical curriculum, PARKLAND
Cons: Most competitive, huge class size, AOA requirements, most likely to meet gunners
Bottom line: If you are serious about going into any competitive specialty or academics, UTSW has to be your #1 choice

2) Dell
Pros: Austin is the best TX city, small classes, insane step scores, scholarships
Cons: No match list, no reputation (yet), weak clinical research, don't have all specialties for electives, PBL + TBL
Bottom line: Dell is the best "lifestyle" school where you will be happy. I am concerned about the ability to match competitively because research and LORs will be more difficult to get.

3) McGovern
Pros: Texas Medical Center, Houston, research opportunities, students seem laid back
Cons: "Baylor's shadow", expensive parking, graded preclinicals
Bottom Line: McGovern is an excellent choice. Doesn't open up as many doors as UTSW, and doesn't have as nice of a lifestyle as Dell

4) Long
Pros: Strong match list, cheap housing, happy students
Cons: Graded preclinicals, lots of mandatory quizzes, weaker Step score, students dont seem to research until 3rd year, felt disingenuous
Bottom Line: Long is a decent medical school, there just aren't that many factors that make it stand out. Also students seemed Too happy. As in "we love having 8AM quizzes, they're the best" type of happiness.

5) UTMB
Pros: Strong Step scores, close to beach, research is available
Cons: Galveston, housing, 2 year preclinical, PBL
Bottom Line: UTMB is an alright choice, its about the same as long except whether you want Galveston or San Antonio

6) Texas A&M
Pros: Relaxed, Military medicine, Rural medicine, most honest medical school, extremely supportive
Cons: Split class, concerns about funding, lack of research opportunities, low step score
Bottom Line: A&M is a school with a mission to send its students to rural primary care. They were honest about this on interview day - and they were the only school that I interviewed at where it felt like the students & faculty were both honest about the program

Best of luck to everyone for the upcoming match! I can't wait to enter medical school with my fellow Texans

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else waiting out to rank for a few more days, with hopes of having an epiphany or calling on which one to rank first? lolol. Such tough decisions!

Anyone else waiting out to rank for a few more days, with hopes of having an epiphany or calling on which one to rank first? lolol. Such tough decisions!

Which schools are you struggling with ranking first?

I can’t decide between Long and UTSW. I was dead set on Long when going into this cycle and then finally getting an invite and seeing how the school was made me more confident in ranking them as #1. Then UTSW invited me and I was super impressed with that they have there. I didn’t even think they would invite me so they weren’t really in the picture until recently. I got similar vibes from both places and would be happy at either. I’m not from SA or DFW, so both would be new cities to me, but I have family in Dallas so I wouldn’t be alone there I guess.

I don’t have a prematch from either, so it’s really coming down to the match.

I'm struggling between UTSW and McGovern. I liked UTSW more but when I asked if they could match scholarships at other schools, they ghosted me. McGovern on the other hand doesn't release scholarships/financial aid packages until later. I really think the match should be pushed back to April to give us time for second looks and for financial aid packages to be released.

Edit: UTSW doesn't match scholarships for anyone wondering.

Last edited:
Which schools are you struggling with ranking first?

I can’t decide between Long and UTSW. I was dead set on Long when going into this cycle and then finally getting an invite and seeing how the school was made me more confident in ranking them as #1. Then UTSW invited me and I was super impressed with that they have there. I didn’t even think they would invite me so they weren’t really in the picture until recently. I got similar vibes from both places and would be happy at either. I’m not from SA or DFW, so both would be new cities to me, but I have family in Dallas so I wouldn’t be alone there I guess.

I don’t have a prematch from either, so it’s really coming down to the match.

For me, Tech and TAMU. Honestly, really liked both of the programs a ton. Why I'm leaning toward TAMU is because of the greater variety of dual degrees offered. And then opportunity of Dallas and Houston. Although I really really really loved the atmosphere at Tech and how its incorporated into a medical center already.

Really wish we could hold multiple acceptances for a lot longer as opposed to losing one's we've already gained, such as my TCOM acceptance (which BTW i love a ton as well)! But either way, I can't go wrong with any I have a chance at, so I'm happy wherever I end up :)

friday-meme-generator-it-s-friday-friday-gotta-get-down-on-friday-79086a.jpg

Why, yes, I DO make sure that all my pop culture references are terribly dated!

Rebecca Black's lyrics are so relevant tho!
"Kickin' in the front seat
Sittin' in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?"

But this FRIDAY FRIDAY BEFORE 5 PM is the deadline for submitting your rank list on TMDSAS. You must submit it officially via your TMDSAS portal. (Texas applicants only: OOS and most dual-degree applicants run outside the match system.)

1. Rank ALL Texas schools where you have interviewed, in order of your true preference.
2. Withdraw from any school you don't want to attend come hell or high water, now, before you do the rank list. Of course you are more likely to feel confident to do this if you have at least one pre-match offer.
3. Yes, you are free to rank a school (or schools) above your pre-matched schools. If those favored schools don't match with you, you will still have your pre-match school.
4. If you have more than one pre-match, it doesn't matter, follow #1, you rock star you.
5. You will only end up with one Match.
6. Matches will be officially announced on your TMDSAS portal on Feb 1. I don't know what time of day.
7. Best psychological strategy at this point: get excited and invested in the school you matched with and don't play the "what if" game. Look ahead to your doctory future.
8. If you must regret and recriminate, it's true that you might be offered WL spots at any schools you ranked above your match school. You can then fret and hope and wish for that school to later add you to its class, right up until orientation day.
9. It is possible to get a status on Match Day Feb 1 of "No Match". Accept any WL spots that may be offered to you and continue to wait and hope. Send any relevant updates to your WL schools.

Last edited:
For me, Tech and TAMU. Honestly, really liked both of the programs a ton. Why I'm leaning toward TAMU is because of the greater variety of dual degrees offered. And then opportunity of Dallas and Houston. Although I really really really loved the atmosphere at Tech and how its incorporated into a medical center already.

Really wish we could hold multiple acceptances for a lot longer as opposed to losing one's we've already gained, such as my TCOM acceptance (which BTW i love a ton as well)! But either way, I can't go wrong with any I have a chance at, so I'm happy wherever I end up :)

I really liked Tech too! They are my number 3. I’m from Houston, so Lubbock is far af whereas SA and DFW are 4 hrs, so that played a big part in ranking. I thought having their school in their med Center was awesome. Being able to walk from class to the hospital would be convenient. Also being next to the Tech campus and being able to use their resources was another big plus imo. I would definitely be happy going there too.

This is probably a dumb question, but all we need to do to submit our rankings is press "save and submit your preferances" underneath the school rankings, I am just paranoid that theres something else I need to do lol

This is probably a dumb question, but all we need to do to submit our rankings is press "save and submit your preferances" underneath the school rankings, I am just paranoid that theres something else I need to do lol
I have this same exact question. Any help would be appreciated!

Yes, just be sure they are in the order you want! Good luck.
TMDSAS video here:
TMDSAS Medical: Entering Match Preference (p.s. the video says Jan 19 date but that is last year's video and last year's date, this year the date is Jan 18, Friday.)

Last edited:

I have this same exact question. Any help would be appreciated!

Like a loser, I called TMDSAS and they confirmed this is all we need to do. I've printed out the page too just to be safe.

Edit: Wysdoc beat me to it, but her confirmation should make us all feel even more secure, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Here are my thoughts on my main choices:

1. UTSW (pre-matched)
-I was blown away by this school at the interview. New Parkland, Clements, newly renovated Commons, new simulation center, students seemed super friendly and happy, tons of research and mentorship opportunities. Also home to top-ranked residencies.
2. Baylor (accepted)
-Short interview day, so it was hard for me to gauge the school. Students seemed friendly, and TCH is awesome. One thing I'm not a huge fan of is that the TMC seems super saturated with schools - McGovern, UTMB, Texas A&M, and soon UH.
3. Dell (pre-matched)
-Really enjoyed my interview experience here, and the small class size sounds nice. I just don't think the patient diversity/volume of Austin compares to Dallas or Houston.

Long was another school that really stood out to me - the students I met at the social and interview just seemed like amazing people. Really, I have nothing negative to say about the Texas schools. We're very lucky to be in this state!

1. UTSW (pre-matched)
-I was blown away by this school at the interview. New Parkland, Clements, newly renovated Commons, new simulation center, students seemed super friendly and happy, tons of research and mentorship opportunities. Also home to top-ranked residencies.
2. Baylor (accepted)
-Short interview day, so it was hard for me to gauge the school. Students seemed friendly, and TCH is awesome. One thing I'm not a huge fan of is that the TMC seems super saturated with schools - McGovern, UTMB, Texas A&M, and soon UH.
3. Dell (pre-matched)
-Really enjoyed my interview experience here, and the small class size sounds nice. I just don't think the patient diversity/volume of Austin compares to Dallas or Houston.

Long was another school that really stood out to me - the students I met at the social and interview just seemed like amazing people. Really, I have nothing negative to say about the Texas schools. We're very lucky to be in this state!

How do you plan on ranking the TMDSAS schools? And where would you place Baylor on that list if you could?

1. UTSW (pre-matched)
2. Baylor (accepted)
3. Dell (pre-matched)

Believe me, there's enough to go around. Don't forget the TMC is the largest medical center in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.