The Republic of Texas XXXVIII : The Cowboy Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this Texas Applicant talk and support thread for 2019-2020 application season. We usually post progress, news, and later, updates, acceptances, and Waitlist action regarding all the Texas medical schools.
Try to keep technical questions about TMDSAS on the official TMDSAS questions thread. Good luck, all y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• b3dd0bc9e0e3569fe3a662de4a124890.jpg
    b3dd0bc9e0e3569fe3a662de4a124890.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 202
  • cVoQXac-2.jpg
    cVoQXac-2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: 4 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It looks as if some dates have changed for this year. According to TMDSAS the pre-match period will start for all applicants (not just oos) on OCT 15th instead of NOV 15, and match day is moved to FEB 3rd.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks as if some dates have changed for this year. According to TMDSAS the pre-match period will start for all applicants (not just oos) on OCT 15th instead of NOV 15, and match day is moved to FEB 3rd.
They move the match day around always so it doesn’t fall on a weekend, & Feb 3 is a Monday.
The pre- match date moving to October is new, though- gotta go read about that!

How's everything going, Texans and wanna-be Texans?

Keep working on those secondary essays, and even though they might be shorter, use them to your advantage to round out your personality, values, etc. and give the school a true picture of who you are.

Texas school timeline is earlier compared to AMCAS in general, since we could submit the primary starting in May and AMCAS not till June.
If you are still working on the primary, try to wrap that puppy up by the end of July for best chances at an interview.

So far, Texas Tech Lubbock and UTMB have sent out their first interview invitations the last week of June, followed by TCOM this week.
Congratulations to you early-birds! Go shopping for your interview outfit and break in those new shiny shoes before interview day.

Check your TMDSAS and school portals to see if you are complete. Figure out how/when to take the CASPer online test, as 5 Texas schools now want it done and may wait to see it before deciding on an interview for you.

That's all! carry on!
Wysdoc

Reactions: 5 users
Thought I would post the new TMDSAS timeline for EY2020 for easy reference. It's on the TMDSAS website too, a site y'all should check for any information and details that have become blurry in your mind since you started working on your TMDSAS application!
I want to put in a recommendation to search out the TMDSAS podcasts too, on many topics you will find helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
We should be expecting the University of Houston College of Medicine and Sam Houston College of Osteopathic Medicine to open applications later this cycle? I can't seem to find concrete information on their respective websites regarding this.

Also, I am considering applying to UIW DO School in San Antonio, but I am not sure what to think of it considering how new it is. If anyone has any insight that would be super helpful

We should be expecting the University of Houston College of Medicine and Sam Houston College of Osteopathic Medicine to open applications later this cycle? I can't seem to find concrete information on their respective websites regarding this.

Also, I am considering applying to UIW DO School in San Antonio, but I am not sure what to think of it considering how new it is. If anyone has any insight that would be super helpful
@DracoDormiens I was just trying to look up the Sam Houston State DO school earlier today. They are still in "candidate" status and as such, with no preliminary accreditation granted yet by COCA, are not allowed to do anything that looks like recruiting or soliciting applicants.

U of Houston MD school is likewise under review, by LCME. The LCME final visit to the school should be in October 2019 and after that visit, they will write up a report either granting preliminary accreditation, or telling the school they don't have things quite lined up yet.
Going by the recent Texas schools that have started up in the last 4 years (Dell, UTRGV, and TCU/UNTHSC) if approved, the school will definitely make an announcement and tell prospective students when they can submit applications.
U of Houston plans to use the TMDSAS application.

Follow the schools on either Twitter or Facebook and look for announcements around November. I will also try to keep you all up to date.

**Edited to add that the next COCA meeting is scheduled for the last week of August 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Hello everyone, how's it going?
Galloping ahead at top speed? Wonder where the summer has gone and just realized school is about to start again in a week or two?

Take a breath and:
1. Check your school list to see which secondary apps you have received, and which you have submitted.
2. Keep working on the essays of the ones you haven't completed.
3. After writing, sleep on it and do a careful proofreading the next day. Don't say one school's name in another school's essay... an example of what might happen if you copy/paste an essay from one app to another. It doesn't mean you can't re-use some of your secondary essays if the prompts are similar from school to school, just be careful!
4. Have you taken the CASPer online test? 5 Texas schools want to see it this year (Texas A&M, Long SOM, UTMB, Texas Tech Lubbock and Texas Tech El Paso). UTMB wants you to take it by August 20, the other schools will accept later test dates. Take the test once and send results to all your schools. Go sign up!
5. Check your email daily and your school portals 1-2 times a week. Keep your passwords saved someplace convenient. Check your spam folders.
6. Get sleep and exercise and settle in for the waiting game. All TMDSAS schools have sent out some interview invitations by now but it's okay if you weren't the first to be invited. Interviews continue to December and sometimes January.

Questions, comments? (Keep in mind that I can't predict the future!)
Wysdoc

Reactions: 7 users
Hi, this will be my 3rd time apply on TMDSAS and its been over a month and a half since I sent my primary. Has anyone else not receive any secondary invitations from a few of the schools?

I have never once received a secondary from Dell in all 3 of my applications, but I am assuming that since they have a small class size, they screen out a lot of the applicants (they did send me an email that they received my application though).

However, this is my 3rd time applying to Texas A&M, but only got a secondary invite once (during my 2nd app). I am just wondering if anyone else got screened out by them and what is the criteria for a secondary invite, since they have a pretty decent class size of 126.

Hi, this will be my 3rd time apply on TMDSAS and its been over a month and a half since I sent my primary. Has anyone else not receive any secondary invitations from a few of the schools?

I have never once received a secondary from Dell in all 3 of my applications, but I am assuming that since they have a small class size, they screen out a lot of the applicants (they did send me an email that they received my application though).

However, this is my 3rd time applying to Texas A&M, but only got a secondary invite once (during my 2nd app). I am just wondering if anyone else got screened out by them and what is the criteria for a secondary invite, since they have a pretty decent class size of 126.
Texas A&M doesn't email you their secondary application. In order to fill out the secondary you have to go to their website and create an account. Here's the link with instructions: MD Application Requirements

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas A&M doesn't email you their secondary application. In order to fill out the secondary you have to go to their website and create an account. Here's the link with instructions: MD Application Requirements
Thank you! I had no idea we had to do that. They did email a secondary link last year, so I assumed that they would do so again. Was literally the one Texas school I was waiting on.

Thank you! I had no idea we had to do that. They did email a secondary link last year, so I assumed that they would do so again. Was literally the one Texas school I was waiting on.

They did so. I received a secondary email from them a few weeks back.

They did so. I received a secondary email from them a few weeks back.
Huh, odd how they did not send me one this year. I was able to make an account and complete the secondary so all is fine.

What is the estimated percentage of interviews that have gone out at this point in the TMDSAS cycle? I saw some interviews being scheduled through the end of September from IIs so maybe like 30-40%?

Does anyone know how many prematch offers/what percentage of acceptances schools will send out in the prematch phase?

I've read that UTSW and UTMB are prematch heavy but are there any other schools that give out a sizable number of prematches?
This year the date for possible prematch offers has moved up from Nov 15 to Oct 15. Since this is in the middle of interview season, I don’t think we’ll be able to truly compare stats to prior seasons.
Just remember that you can still match even with no prematches :):D:cat:

I decided to expand on my answer by going back over my notes from the 2018-2019 application cycle.
Remember this is not a scientific survey sample: it is only what I can see what people shared their news on SDN! I don't know percentages.
Prematches shared on SDN 2018-2019: (in order of most to least, 11/15 to 12/31)

UTSW 32
McGovern 27
UTMB 22
Texas Tech 18
TCOM 15
A&M 12
Dell 12
Long 9
UTRGV 8
A&M EnMed 7
Paul Foster 5

My comments:
1.The Dell and UTRGV numbers are pretty "big" considering their class size of 50. Also this year UTRGV started an early decision option under which they have admitted 4 people.
2. Long's pre-match offers were mainly to "superstars" and they really do fill most of their class on Match Day. I also noticed that a good number of people who may have pre-matched to other schools ended up choosing Long on their rank order list and matched there.
3. Baylor and TCU/UNTHSC are on AMCAS and don't show up as "pre-matches".
4. Some outstanding applicants get multiple pre-match offers. The most I saw going to one person last year was 8 !
5. This year's timeline with pre-matches starting October 15 don't get worried, because many of you will not have gone to your interviews yet by that date. Pre-match offers can still go out until Dec 31.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for this data! I know October 15 is 1.5 months away but I got a little hopeful. Seems like there's really not too much prematch action (especially given that SDN users are skewed towards the upper end of GPA/MCAT). The wait continues :nailbiting:
Well, not all SDNers are high scoring peeps. The other factor is that few SDN users are willing to share their news, even though it is an anonymous forum. There were so many last year that made their first post after match Day. I think it makes it more fun and less stressful to hear about what's going on with other applicants.

Well, not all SDNers are high scoring peeps. The other factor is that few SDN users are willing to share their news, even though it is an anonymous forum. There were so many last year that made their first post after match Day. I think it makes it more fun and less stressful to hear about what's going on with other applicants.

Hearing what's going on with other applicants is what leads to everyone being neurotic and stressed and not having fun lol

"I just got my 3rd II!" (August 2019)
Applicants with no II - "Oh...f*** my life, my cycle is over, I've been passed up, application in the trash"

Hearing what's going on with other applicants is what leads to everyone being neurotic and stressed and not having fun lol

"I just got my 3rd II!" (August 2019)
Applicants with no II - "Oh...f*** my life, my cycle is over, I've been passed up, application in the trash"
Sorry you feel that way, @sundevilnontrad . But hey come commiserate and share on the Texas side, we are pretty dang friendly over here! :cow::cow::cow::happy:I

Sorry you feel that way, @sundevilnontrad . But hey come commiserate and share on the Texas side, we are pretty dang friendly over here! :cow::cow::cow::happy:I

I don't feel that way, but I feel like I have read "I have been passed up" or "have I been passed up??" quite a few times lol.

You can now add Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine to your TMDSAS app now

You can now add Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine to your TMDSAS app now
Does it show up as a selection, @DracoDormiens ? TMDSAS announced just today that SHSU is approved to start taking applications. The news is so fresh that SHSU hasn’t updated its web page yet!

Last edited:
Does it show up as a selection, @DracoDormiens ? TMDSAS announced just today that SHSU May start taking applications. The news is so fresh that SHSU hasn’t updated its web page yet!

TMDSAS tweeted this out earlier today

1. To add Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine to your TMDSAS application:
* If you have not yet submitted your application, add the school in the [Select Schools] section.

2. To add Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine to your TMDSAS application:
* If you have already submitted your application, send us a message through the application requesting to include SHSU to your list. Use the subject line "SHSU".

So for all of those who have already applied, you would send an internal message through TMDSAS and then your application will be transmitted to SHSU.

Does anyone know if they're state-funded with cheaper, ~20k tuition like all the other Texas schools and thus have to accept 90%+ Texas students?

Does anyone know if they're state-funded with cheaper, ~20k tuition like all the other Texas schools and thus have to accept 90%+ Texas students?
They are not state-subsidized and so the tuition will be closer to OOS school range and UIWSOM range : $50,000+

Ouch! I mean, if you want to be a doctor at all costs, people will still attend, but coming out down 200k just for tuition alone is tough.

Texas schools have been pretty quiet this week
Same. I'm been looking through the forums and I haven't found any II this week. You would think they send a wave of II after labor day.

@wysdoc I was transmitted in late June and complete at all Texas schools before July. I have heard from zero. Should I be a little concerned? I have a sad MCAT score (501) but otherwise really solid app with significant EC’s, essays, experience... should I hope and expect even just one II maybe in November or December, or have I just been passed up?

@wysdoc I was transmitted in late June and complete at all Texas schools before July. I have heard from zero. Should I be a little concerned? I have a sad MCAT score (501) but otherwise really solid app with significant EC’s, essays, experience... should I hope and expect even just one II maybe in November or December, or have I just been passed up?
send me a PM ok?

How long does it take for schools you've interviewed at to be posted onto your TMDSAS primary app page?

How long does it take for schools you've interviewed at to be posted onto your TMDSAS primary app page?
It depends on the school! Some schools do it the day after you interview and some take more than a week.

How many IIs do we need before we can sleep easy at night knowing that we have a decent shot at med school? What's the average number of IIs an average Texas applicant receives? Seems like there are a lot of people here with 4+ IIs. I'm neurotically checking my email every day, hoping more will come. At this point, all I can do is try to maximize my chances at the few schools that are interviewing me, but it's hard to sleep at night with the uncertainty looming over me.

How many IIs do we need before we can sleep easy at night knowing that we have a decent shot at med school? What's the average number of IIs an average Texas applicant receives? Seems like there are a lot of people here with 4+ IIs. I'm neurotically checking my email every day, hoping more will come. At this point, all I can do is try to maximize my chances at the few schools that are interviewing me, but it's hard to sleep at night with the uncertainty looming over me.

Of course there are no guarantees, but it seems the guiding adage is that 3 interviews typically convert into one acceptance. Hang in there, we still have a lot more of the cycle to go.

Sometimes I like to read scary stories before I sleep, so I check out old threads where people talk about getting 3+ IIs in TX and then not matching :cryi:
I have dreams of getting no Texas interviews and not matching... oh wait... that’s my reality at the moment. :bigtears:

• Haha
Is there any indication that pre-match heavy schools are going to send a majority of those on the new pre-match day, October 15?

Should we consider sending update letters/letters of interest prior to the start of prematch? Or wait until if we are waitlisted in February

Should we consider sending update letters/letters of interest prior to the start of prematch? Or wait until if we are waitlisted in February
Update letters if something substantial has changed, but check each school to see if they accept updates or not.
Letters of interest not needed/not useful at this point. Those you could send later if you are waitlisted or have heard nothing from a school by then.

Howdy and welcome to storm season in Texas!
Tropical Storm Imelda made landfall on the mid eastern coast of Texas on Monday Sept 16 and heavy rains are expected to continue through Thursday and/or Friday. The cities of Houston and Galveston are in this region.
If you're not from around here, the area is near sea level and prone to flooding/flash flooding with intense rainstorms.

Keep an eye on your emails, Twitter accounts of Baylor, McGovern, and UTMB, and your airlines if flying in for an interview this weekend.
Interviews might be postponed if roads and airports are impassable. Don't worry, they will reschedule you if your interview is affected.
Stay safe!
190917082939-weather-houston-forecast-rainfall-20190917-8a-exlarge-169.jpg

Does anyone know if Texas schools yield protect? I'm out of the ranges of a few and wondering if that's good or if it's going to count against me.

This thread seems a bit quiet compared to the Texas threads of years past. I wonder why that is?

This thread seems a bit quiet compared to the Texas threads of years past. I wonder why that is?
I agree! Most people are posting on the school specific threads right now. But I welcome general questions, comments, or hilarious stories from any of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.