The Republic of Texas XXXVIII : The Cowboy Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas Roundup 5/15/2020

5/14/2020

1 SHSU offer of admission from WL
2 Long offers of admission from WL, both OOS
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL, IS
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, OOS

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at TCOM, IS

5/15/2020
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, applicant declined, IS

5/15/2020 Evening Update

5/15/2020
1 SHSU offer from WL, applicant declined, IS
1 U of Houston offer of admission, IS, no prior match
1 Texas A&M offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
2 spots relinquished at SHSU, OOS (both taking OOS school offers)
1 spot relinquished at Texas Tech Lubbock, IS
1 spot relinquished at UTMB, IS

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Texas Roundup 5/15/2020

5/14/2020

2 Long offers of admission from WL, both OOS
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, OOS

Up for Grabs Again:

5/15/2020
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, applicant declined, IS

5/15/2020 Evening Update

5/15/2020
1 SHSU offer from WL, applicant declined, IS
1 U of Houston offer of admission, IS, no prior match
1 Texas A&M offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
2 spots relinquished at SHSU, OOS (both taking OOS school offers)
1 spot relinquished at Texas Tech Lubbock, IS
I guess the waitlist just got a lot smaller since it only includes applicants without an offer from a Texas School. Now what happens if you are on two waitlists. I’m assuming you can only get one offer. After the first offer, you would no longer be eligible for an offer from the second school?

I guess the waitlist just got a lot smaller since it only includes applicants without an offer from a Texas School. Now what happens if you are on two waitlists. I’m assuming you can only get one offer. After the first offer, you would no longer be eligible for an offer from the second school?
I guess not. If you’re lucky you might get 2 offers the same day & then choose!
The chances of an applicant with no prior acceptances getting 2 WL offers are low but it could happen!
Remember y’all, at this point in the cycle you might have as little as 48 hours to give an answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On 5 waitlists at the moment. Sent one LOI and some update emails back in March and April. Hoping one school picks me up in the coming weeks now that the waitlist pool has gotten smaller!

Reactions: 10 users
@wysdoc Any updates since yesterday at Long and McGovern. Will schools wait and send heavily next week or has schools already start sending A. Fingers crossed for Acceptance. Interviewed at both schools Aug/Sept. Not sure what happened after that.
I know many others are at same situation and awaiting first Acceptance.
Hopefully everyone here receive good news.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess not. If you’re lucky you might get 2 offers the same day & then choose!
The chances of an applicant with no prior acceptances getting 2 WL offers are low but it could happen!
Remember y’all, at this point in the cycle you might have as little as 48 hours to give an answer.
Hi there! I’m a little confused- I am currently on two Texas WLs with no acceptances. If I were to get accepted to school A, then I would not be able to be taken off the waitlist at school B thereafter?

Hi there! I’m a little confused- I am currently on two Texas WLs with no acceptances. If I were to get accepted to school A, then I would not be able to be taken off the waitlist at school B thereafter?
No, it was that way before May 15 but not now. Now, if you have an acceptance, your #2 WL school could see that and will not offer you anything.

@wysdoc Any updates since yesterday at Long and McGovern. Will schools wait and send heavily next week or has schools already start sending A. Fingers crossed for Acceptance. Interviewed at both schools Aug/Sept. Not sure what happened after that.
I know many others are at same situation and awaiting first Acceptance.
Hopefully everyone here receive good news.
Nothing today. Also my internet was knocked out by a storm so I can’t check in as much.

Texas Roundup 5/17/2020

5/16/2020

1 Texas Tech El Paso offer from WL, declined, OOS
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL

Up for Grabs again:

Sorry about plain formatting, day 2 no internet and I am typing this badly on my cellphone.

Texans, there is no more horse-trading now. If you are one of the people with no acceptances and you get an offer from a WL, that’s your school. You can no longer be eligible for another offer because TX schools CAN’T offer to anyone with a Texas spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, how's that waiting game treating you?
Let's give schools a chance to re-assess after some applicants withdrew to take WL offers, and see what the coming weeks bring our way!
Those of you with only WL spots right now and no acceptances still have a chance :)

I'll post a short Roundup a little later today.
Wysdoc

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Texas Roundup 5/18/2020

5/14/2020

1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, accepted

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at Texas A&M, IS

5/18/2020
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL (applicant deciding )

Up for Grabs Again:
1spot relinquished at UIWSOM

more waitin' :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates recently? When will schools send the remaining batches?( Seems different from previous years)

Texas Roundup 5/20/2020

5/18-19/2020

1 TCU/UNTHSC offer of admission from WL, OOS
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined.

Wysdoc's stern advice for now:
Share your news, y'all
Quit looking for loopholes and make a decision if you got 2 choices right now.
No, you can't juggle 2 WL offers any more and it's very dang unlikely that you will get 2 WL offers right now.
You make the best decision you can with the information you have.

See y'all tomorrow! :cow::chicken::cow::chicken::cow::chicken::doctor::doctor::doctor::doctor:

Last edited:
For those of you waiting for waitlist movement from Long or McGovern, here is the movement for sdn for prior years.
8F32EC44-1242-4CC1-B51D-D45D4DC000DC.png

Reactions: 7 users
Texas Roundup 5/22/2020

5/21/2020

1 SHSU offer from WL, declined
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, IS

5/22/2020
Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at TCU/UNTHSC, OOS

Hang on y'all :)

Last edited:
Texas Roundup 5/22/2020

5/21/2020

1 SHSU offer from WL, declined

5/22/2020
Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at TCU/UNTHSC, OOS

Hang on y'all :)
I just heard that an applicant holding an acceptance to UTMB got an acceptance to Baylor last night. Isn't Baylor included in the May 15th rule?

I just heard that an applicant holding an acceptance to UTMB got an acceptance to Baylor last night. Isn't Baylor included in the May 15th rule?
They are.
Either:
1. This applicant was offered the spot before May 15th and just decided to take it last night, or
2. There is a procedure by which TX schools can make an offer after May 15th. It isn't invoked or used very often.
By this procedure Baylor would have had to directly contact UTMB's admissions director and say "we want to offer this student a place at Baylor.
Will you release the student from their acceptance commitment?"
UTMB can agree or refuse.

I don't know the details of what happened with this student, but this is my best information on how it could occur. @DokterMom can you chime in with a comment?

They are.
Either:
1. This applicant was offered the spot before May 15th and just decided to take it last night, or
2. There is a procedure by which TX schools can make an offer after May 15th. It isn't invoked or used very often.
By this procedure Baylor would have had to directly contact UTMB's admissions director and say "we want to offer this student a place at Baylor.

I don't know the details of what happened with this student, but this is my best information on how it could occur.
Thanks

They are.
Either:

I don't know the details of what happened with this student, but this is my best information on how it could occur.

I thought the latter was possible too of direct contact between admissions directors but TMDSAS has no guidelines on this. It seemed that this is only possible for the dental schools.

I thought the latter was possible too of direct contact between admissions directors but TMDSAS has no guidelines on this. It seemed that this is only possible for the dental schools.
I found it on the TMDSAS website
  • After 5:00 pm CT on May 15, 2021, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas.  This is the result of an agreement among the six UT System Medical Schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine, Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine, Texas Tech University HSC Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso and UNT-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.  Only extraordinary circumstances warrant an exception to this policy.  If this should occur, the Dean/Director of Admissions at the school wishing to extend an offer must receive approval from the Dean/Director of Admissions at the school where the applicant is holding a position BEFORE the offer is extended.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well I feel bad for those of you waiting on an acceptance from Baylor. But, at least it opens a spot at UTMB. Good luck y’all! Also, maybe Baylor will offer some more spots.

Well I feel bad for those of you waiting on an acceptance from Baylor. But, at least it opens a spot at UTMB. Good luck y’all! Also, maybe Baylor will offer some more spots.

I will almost do ANYTHING for that UTMB spot. Literally my top choice for many reasons, plus it is close to home and gf lives in Galveston. I sent them another e-mail a couple days ago expressing my intent on attending there if offered a seat. I figured there was nothing left to lose.

Reactions: 3 users
sub-buzz-10276-1510665252-1.jpg

This waitin' is no dang fun.

Texas Roundup 5/24/2020

5/14/2020
(date corrected from wrong date 5/20)
1 Long offer of admission from WL, OOS

5/22/2020
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at Baylor, applicant going to preferred OOS school

5/23/2020
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, IS

5/24/2020
1 Texas A&M offer of admission from WL

Share your news Puhleeeze

Last edited:
Any reports of recent acceptances? (Understanding current climate) this waiting is getting more painful than rejection

Any reports of recent acceptances? (Understanding current climate) this waiting is getting more painful than rejection
I’ve been doing this 3 years. This is it. Either 3rd times a charm, or 3 strikes your out.

Texas Roundup 5/26/2020 (what there is of it)

5/22/2020

1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined

5/26/2020
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, OOS, will be accepting
Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at UIWSOM

Share your news :) :bag:
If you have been sitting on 2 schools 4evah, tell us which one you chose

Remember the schools have been dealing with
-working remotely
-trying to get committees together on crummy online meeting platforms
-by the way, trying to plan Commencement ceremonies, online or with social distancing, for their MS4 class who do deserve some attention too.

I’ve been doing this 3 years. This is it. Either 3rd times a charm, or 3 strikes your out.
Have you applied OOS at all, including DO?

This is my 2nd cycle and I applied OOS MD and DO to avoid a 3rd. I'm 3+ years out from undergrad which took me 5.5 years to finish. Getting closer to 30 years of age, so I didn't want to wait any more. I'd rather take more debt and make money earlier than take a chance of getting accepted during a 3rd cycle.

If you don't hear back from a school and haven't applied OOS at all and want to next cycle, I'm more than willing to help you select schools. I had a long list of US MD schools that were friendly to OOS students and some had matriculants from TX. I didn't apply to all of them for financial reasons, but I still have the list some where.

I think the majority of DO schools are OOS friendly. I applied to 5 and got selected to interview at all of them, so there's some anecdotal evidence that they take TX applicants.

Have you applied OOS at all, including DO?

This is my 2nd cycle and I applied OOS MD and DO to avoid a 3rd. I'm 3+ years out from undergrad which took me 5.5 years to finish. Getting closer to 30 years of age, so I didn't want to wait any more. I'd rather take more debt and make money earlier than take a chance of getting accepted during a 3rd cycle.

If you don't hear back from a school and haven't applied OOS at all and want to next cycle, I'm more than willing to help you select schools. I had a long list of US MD schools that were friendly to OOS students and some had matriculants from TX. I didn't apply to all of them for financial reasons, but I still have the list some where.

I think the majority of DO schools are OOS friendly. I applied to 5 and got selected to interview at all of them, so there's some anecdotal evidence that they take TX applicants.
Thanks so much for the offer. I really don’t want to leave Texas. I applied to TCOM and no interviews. We will see what happens this week! I’m hoping y’all get accepted.

daea279d7ab372fe68f787aa931a6e30--pro-rodeo-rodeo-cowboys.jpg

Texas Roundup 5/28/2020, Slim Pickens edition

5/??/2020

1 U of Houston offer of admission
1 UIWSOM offer of admission, from WL

5/27/2020
1 UIWSOM offer of admission
1 SHSU offer of admission

5/28/2020
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission, from WL, IS (deciding )
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission, from WL, IS, accepting
1 UIWSOM offer of admission, accepting.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the offer. I really don’t want to leave Texas. I applied to TCOM and no interviews. We will see what happens this week! I’m hoping y’all get accepted.
Still no luck? Been following you for a while hoping you got accepted somewhere.

This late in app. cycle is it worthwhile to expect any news from schools? I don't know if my schools already filled their class?

This late in app. cycle is it worthwhile to expect any news from schools? I don't know if my schools already filled their class?
Every school is "filled" at the moment. They've pretty much have been filled since Match Day and have been accepting WL applicants as seats open up. This is going to suck/hurt to hear, but, as a re-applicant myself wanting to help other potential re-applicants, you should be starting to work on your re-application just in case things don't work out. At this point in the cycle, there is a pretty low chance of getting accepted off the waitlist. For a TX resident to leave their low-tuition in-state TX seat, it's going to take a massive offer from an OOS school (top 10 or a huge scholarship), or some personal reason.

Now, I'm on 6 WL myself and was on 5 WL last year. I know how much it hurts to wait. I want to stay in TX so bad that it makes me want to cry sometimes. Sure, I could hope and have faith that some big OOS school will scoop some student up and the TX school will select me, but I learned my lesson last year and I'm not going to wait for them again. Fortunately, I hold an acceptance at an OOS school so I won't be applying a third time. I advise everyone that is waiting for a possible WL acceptance to be proactive and start working on your re-application. Applying again will not jeopardize your WL chances. If you are lucky enough to get that WL acceptance after applying, then all you lost was some time and the app fee, which is a small amount in the grand scheme of things. If you wait until August to receive your rejection letters prior to applying again then you've just put yourself at a huge disadvantage because not only will you be a re-applicant, you will be a LATE re-applicant. This second paragraph is not directed at you @shawn17al , but for all possible TX re-applicants.

Reactions: 15 users
Texas Roundup 6/2/2020

6/1/2020

1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at TCU/UNTHSC

Let's see what happens tomorrow, y'all! :cow: :chicken::cow::chicken::cow::chicken::bag::bag:

Every school is "filled" at the moment. They've pretty much have been filled since Match Day and have been accepting WL applicants as seats open up. This is going to suck/hurt to hear, but, as a re-applicant myself wanting to help other potential re-applicants, you should be starting to work on your re-application just in case things don't work out. At this point in the cycle, there is a pretty low chance of getting accepted off the waitlist. For a TX resident to leave their low-tuition in-state TX seat, it's going to take a massive offer from an OOS school (top 10 or a huge scholarship), or some personal reason.

Now, I'm on 6 WL myself and was on 5 WL last year. I know how much it hurts to wait. I want to stay in TX so bad that it makes me want to cry sometimes. Sure, I could hope and have faith that some big OOS school will scoop some student up and the TX school will select me, but I learned my lesson last year and I'm not going to wait for them again. Fortunately, I hold an acceptance at an OOS school so I won't be applying a third time. I advise everyone that is waiting for a possible WL acceptance to be proactive and start working on your re-application. Applying again will not jeopardize your WL chances. If you are lucky enough to get that WL acceptance after applying, then all you lost was some time and the app fee, which is a small amount in the grand scheme of things. If you wait until August to receive your rejection letters prior to applying again then you've just put yourself at a huge disadvantage because not only will you be a re-applicant, you will be a LATE re-applicant. This second paragraph is not directed at you @shawn17al , but for all possible TX re-applicants.

Are you going to an OOS DO? TCOM does accept DO transfers from what I've seen!

Are schools going to make us wait until late July orientations start to send out final rejection emails? Have we reached the point at which we can assume that, barring some lottery-ticket-buying luck, waitlisted folks have been unofficially rejected?

Just out here trying to move on with my life!

Are schools going to make us wait until late July orientations start to send out final rejection emails? Have we reached the point at which we can assume that, barring some lottery-ticket-buying luck, waitlisted folks have been unofficially rejected?

I think so...Most waitlist movement at this point in the game will be due to students not matriculating for personal/financial reasons rather than the WL domino effect between schools in early May. I believe all accepted AMCAS/TMDSAS applicants only hold 1 acceptance as of rn.

Are you going to an OOS DO? TCOM does accept DO transfers from what I've seen!
Yep, going to the Midwest! My DO school offers a year-long clerkship in TX to 5 lucky students, so there's a chance I'll return. However, I'm excited to start my new life over there. It just hurts leaving my family, friends, and SO for 4+ years. It's going to be worth it in the end tho!

Reactions: 6 users

I think there will be more WL offers this week and next week, since this year has had everything pushed back & delayed. Prior years things were wrapped up in the 1st week of June. The schools I think might offer more are Long, McGovern, and maybe the Techs and UTRGV.
Not a fortune teller though!

Last edited:
I think there will be more WL offers this week and next week, since this year has had everything pushed back & delayed. Prior years things were wrapped up in the 1st week of June.

I can't convey how much I hope this is the case.

Texas Roundup 6/5/2020

6/4/2020

1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, IS, declined
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL

6/5/2020
1 TUC/UNTHSC offer of admission from WL, IS, declined
1 UTRGV offer of admission from WL

Let's hope for an eventful weekend :)
I think there have been some WL offers going on this week, just none reported by SDN users.

Last edited:
Texas Roundup 6/8/2020

Not much news this weekend, y'all.

A SDN member gave me permission to say that they have been offered admission
to Texas Tech El Paso to enter next year (Starting in 2021).

Texas Tech Lubbock has made similar offers to 2 applicants.

This is not common, but this is the situation:
A school has already met, screened, and interviewed a student and liked them. The student ends up on their WL.
Then the school notices that this student has no acceptances, so they would like to offer them a place in next year's class.

This saves a good applicant the time, expense, and trouble of a re-application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
UH inaugural class demographics for those interested
IMG_1796.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 5 users
Image-1-26.png

Texas Roundup 6/17/2020

The dry spell is over

6/17/2020
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer : a Texan who had been offered an EY 2021 spot has been moved up to EY 2020, will accept.

In other news, Baylor has sent out its "Our class is now complete" email, so people on the Baylor WL can probably move on. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.