The rising cost of medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Barry Zlatko

zlatkomed.org
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all of you pre-med students.

I have started this discussion to get a sense of your attitude and thoughts about the rising cost of medical school tuition.

Do you think that this is unfair, and that everyone should have a chance at this level of education, or do you feel this is one of several reasonable factors that streamline the student body of medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

i have not gone through the applying for financial aid process, but i was under the impression that it is quite easy to secure aid for medical school. so assuming that is true then i don't see how rising costs could preclude anyone from attending.

that said, i do not have a problem with the rising costs of medical school for a few reasons. first, and this is based on what i was taught in a medical sociology class, despite what students pay in tuition, it still costs hospitals net money to train medical students. second, and this is the biggie, doctors will make the money back after residency. loans just become a part of the monthly bills, and doctors are still able to maintain very high standards of living compared with other americans. if we wish to maintain a capitalist system where medical services are for sale to the highest bidder then it is not fair to ask that those who will eventually benefit not to first pay to aquire their training.

Yes, I agree with the previous reply. I think that medical school is a BIG commitment and should been seen as a investment of sorts. Even though the financial costs are tremedous, the payoffs are large as well. Still, most students borrow to get through medical school and the fact that doctors have a relatively high salary allows them to do so with reasonable ease.